Options

Why does it matter what someone names their kid?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay, so Victoria Beckham named her kid Harper Seven, which is a bit different, but not the absolute worst. She is getting some stick from people about not giving her a "normal name."

I'm having another baby at the end of this year/beginning next (my kids have a habit of turning up a week or two after their due dates!) and I have chosen one boy's name and one girl's name, as I have no idea what I am having. My other two children have quite ordinary names and this one will be no different.

My big question is --why does it matter? Obviously, I think we'd have a problem if a kid was named after an STI, was called Paedo Rapist Jones, or after an infamous dictator/war criminal. However, is Tiger Lily so bad? Should we really care if a child's name looks like what would happen if a Scrabble game threw up? As long as it isn't your kid, why does it matter? We can't all be John, Mary, Anne or Joe.

Viva variety and hey, it does give us something to talk about.

Comments

• Options
    MerryBerryMerryBerry Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Completely agree with you. As with most things in life, it would be very boring if we all liked the same.

Although slightly tempted to call a future child Paedo Rapist Jones :D
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Oh it's HARPER Seven!!

I thought they had just named her after the time of birth.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,248
    Forum Member
    When naming children you must ask yourself 'would I mind being called that' because whilst odd, funky and cutsey names suit toddlers and pre-teens well, they will also have that name on their bus pass and be filling it in on CV's. At least with more normal names there won't be any odd looks or sniggers during formal introductions.

At a formal gathering...

Ah, Dr Smart - may I introduce you to Robert who has done some excellent research on refraction. Dr Smart "pleased to meet you Robert".

or

Ah, Dr Smart - may I introduce you to Codliver-Oil who has done some excellent research on refraction. Dr Smart "erm...what was that name again".
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Harper Lee wrote "To Kill A Mocking Bird".
  • Options
    Nice N NormalNice N Normal Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    It could be worse. We could have a list of approved names like Denmark. It means we are free to name our kids Paedo Rapist Jones if we so desire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Lily really isn't that much of an unusual name. There's a line that people cross though. You have to think of how it's going to affect your child in the future, or at least if you do pick an unusual name, make sure it has a shortened/changeable version which is a bit more "normal".

With regards to Beckhams, it's the seven bit people are confused about. It sounds like a spin off of Blake Seven.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm sure David was inspired by the book.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure David was inspired by the book.

He can read now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    When naming children you must ask yourself 'would I mind being called that' because whilst odd, funky and cutsey names suit toddlers and pre-teens well, they will also have that name on their bus pass and be filling it in on CV's. At least with more normal names there won't be any odd looks or sniggers during formal introductions.

At a formal gathering...

Ah, Dr Smart - may I introduce you to Robert who has done some excellent research on refraction. Dr Smart "pleased to meet you Robert".

or

Ah, Dr Smart - may I introduce you to Codliver-Oil who has done some excellent research on refraction. Dr Smart "erm...what was that name again".

I totally understand-- I did put various lofty titles and lofty prizes before my choices of names! Still, Codliver-Oil's research would still be valid and excellent despite his bizarre name. I guess it would be a test of my maturity not to laugh when I heard it, (I did that once when I met a man named Forest Hare, but to be fair I was 18) but I'd go home and say "honey, I've met a man called Codliver-Oil, can you believe it?!"
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because kids will tease them at school - well maybe not at their school but people who give their kids pretentious names in general, why would you saddle them with that disadvantage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »

At a formal gathering...

or

I would think anyone that sniggered at someone elses name upon being introduced was incredibly rude! Also what about people who have foreign names that sound so different - should parents of foreign descent only call their children names that are locally known and pronounced?

I agree with whydoiwatch! Any names in mind yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Because kids will tease them at school - well maybe not at their school but people who give their kids pretentious names in general, why would you saddle them with that disadvantage.

Why is it seen as a disadvantage though - re the teasing - kids may tease about all sorts of things. My sister has an unusual name and has always liked it and I have a friend called Ocean who loves her name too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never come across that, to be honest. My name is as normal as anything but I went to school with people called all sorts, including a girl called Stormy. I wished for something exotic but due to a lack of imagination, I wanted to change my name to Cheryl because I thought it sounded like a tall girl's name. I was six years old at the time.

Charlie, I do have names picked out--Noah for a boy, Lily for a girl with my gran's name as her middle name. My eldest picked Lily. He wanted Rex for a boy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would think anyone that sniggered at someone elses name upon being introduced was incredibly rude!

I struggled to keep a straight face when I was introduced to a man named Mr Dikshit. I suppose that makes me rude :(
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,496
    Forum Member

Harper wasn't her first name. It was Nelle Harper Lee.
  • Options
    curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it shouldnt matter to anyone at all, but some of these names that celebs are choosing are imo ridiculous, i wonder why and how they come up with these names. imo these parents are all attention seeking twonks. all for the sake of being talked about in the media for a day or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curlywurly wrote: »
    it shouldnt matter to anyone at all, but some of these names that celebs are choosing are imo ridiculous, i wonder why and how they come up with these names. imo these parents are all attention seeking twonks. all for the sake of being talked about in the media for a day or two.

How can you know that and furthermore, why does it matter? While I wouldn't name my kid Audio Science or Pilot Inspektor, it matters not one jot to me that someone named their kid that.

I just find it funny that people go "oh, I wish they'd pick a normal name!," as if it matters to them. My sister heard of a kid called Milky Way and trust me, this kid was no celebrity offspring!
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do they, though ?

Gone are the days when a school class contains a few Johns, a few Daniels and a couple of Roberts. Nowadays you hardly ever find two children of the same name in any school class, so most names are as 'unusual' as any other.

And, there really is nothing wrong with Harper at all, and Seven is only a middle name. It's not like she is called Harper-Seven and will be referred to as such...

ETA: Similar to jamie Oliver - His children will be referred to as Poppy, Petal, Daisy and Buddy. Nothing wrong with them, and it's only when people spell out their full names that it might sound ridiculous to call them it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally find some of it really tacky, but everyone's different I guess.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zowie Bowie when he grew up preferred to call himself Joe. Eventually he settled on Duncan Jones. (Jones was his father's surname).

Whatever became of Chastity Bono? And what about Moon Unit? I forget whose child the latter was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so Victoria Beckham named her kid Harper Seven, which is a bit different, but not the absolute worst. She is getting some stick from people about not giving her a "normal name."

I'm having another baby at the end of this year/beginning next (my kids have a habit of turning up a week or two after their due dates!) and I have chosen one boy's name and one girl's name, as I have no idea what I am having. My other two children have quite ordinary names and this one will be no different.

My big question is --why does it matter? Obviously, I think we'd have a problem if a kid was named after an STI, was called Paedo Rapist Jones, or after an infamous dictator/war criminal. However, is Tiger Lily so bad? Should we really care if a child's name looks like what would happen if a Scrabble game threw up? As long as it isn't your kid, why does it matter? We can't all be John, Mary, Anne or Joe.

Viva variety and hey, it does give us something to talk about.

except her name is Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence, the fact she chopped the first two says........

and i kid you not if you have not heard these, if you think these are ok please take someone with you when you register yours;)

Moxie Crimefighter
    Pilot Inspektor
    Bronx Mowgli
    Diva Thin Muffin
    Speck Wildhorse
    Moon Unit
    Harley Quinn (lol anyone else old enough to remember the cigar advert?)

The weddings of these will have the congregation in stitches
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oulandy wrote: »
    Zowie Bowie when he grew up preferred to call himself Joe. Eventually he settled on Duncan Jones. (Jones was his father's surname).

Whatever became of Chastity Bono? And what about Moon Unit? I forget whose child the latter was.

The late great Francis Vincent Zappa.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late great Francis Vincent Zappa.

Ah, of course! I did know that. How could I have forgotten?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I struggled to keep a straight face when I was introduced to a man named Mr Dikshit. I suppose that makes me rude :(

Well perhaps immature rather than rude if you tried to keep a straight face. But yep in general how ridiculous :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Do they, though ?

Gone are the days when a school class contains a few Johns, a few Daniels and a couple of Roberts. Nowadays you hardly ever find two children of the same name in any school class, so most names are as 'unusual' as any other.

Im pretty sure they would. Kids will pick on you for anything. When I was in school, they would call your shoes shitflickers, declare you as gay for being good at maths & claim to have had sexual relations with your mother despite being a spotty faced, pigeon chested 14 year old. So if you name your kid Turd Masher Johnson, I wouldnt expect an easy ride for them in school at all.