Options

Why does it matter what someone names their kid?

Comments

• Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Shame they can't ask the people who's names they are playing around with what THEY think of them.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    oulandy wrote: »
    Ah, of course! I did know that. How could I have forgotten?

Don't forget the siblings - Dweezil and Diva Muffin. :D
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go one further and say why does it matter what a footballer does outside of the football field, or an aritst outside of a studio or a concert? But then why would anyone care what a random guy posts at some forum? And if you keep going it gets kind of annoying.

Just don't name them something obnoxious and they should be fine. They'll get teased about their name at some point no matter what it is.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    I once had a client called Derek Cockshott. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    except her name is Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence, the fact she chopped the first two says........

and i kid you not if you have not heard these, if you think these are ok please take someone with you when you register yours;)

Moxie Crimefighter
    Pilot Inspektor
    Bronx Mowgli
    Diva Thin Muffin
    Speck Wildhorse
    Moon Unit
    Harley Quinn (lol anyone else old enough to remember the cigar advert?)

The weddings of these will have the congregation in stitches

Like I said earlier, my kids have totally normal names, but if they didn't, that's no one's business but mine. I have heard of all of those names, and trust, I have heard stranger.

My point is, why does anyone who is not that kid really bothered about another kid's name? Almost none of those children will mix with our children so Dave or Steve or Alice will be a bit weird to them.
  • Options
    curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said earlier, my kids have totally normal names, but if they didn't, that's no one's business but mine. I have heard of all of those names, and trust, I have heard stranger.

My point is, why does anyone who is not that kid really bothered about another kid's name? Almost none of those children will mix with our children so Dave or Steve or Alice will be a bit weird to them.

it really doesnt matter, its personal choice, and people do tend to follow celeb trends, so these odd/weird names are coming to our playgrounds, you said that your sister knew a kid called milky way and this kid aint no celebs kid, like i said it doesnt matter but i really would like to know how and why they give their kids names like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So your saying it gives people something to talk about but when we reply it is none of our business, i guess that's thread over?
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Because kids will tease them at school - well maybe not at their school but people who give their kids pretentious names in general, why would you saddle them with that disadvantage.

Kids will put a nasty twist on 'normal' sounding names too, (e.g. "Fat Matt").
  • Options
    Dave StentDave Stent Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because often with celebs it's done out of vanity.
    It maybe fun spending a few hours coming up with the most "cutting-edge" name you can think of but it's the child who has to live with it throughout their school days. And for most kids their parents definition of "cool" is poles apart from unofficial playground definition.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harper Lee wrote "To Kill A Mocking Bird".

I am doubtful the Bekham's named the child after Harper Lee the author :D I'll wager they've not read TKAMB :eek: :o
  • Options
    cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harper... it's not bad. But Seven? Why just throw in a random number there? Was it conceived on the 7th floor of a hotel?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curlywurly wrote: »
    it really doesnt matter, its personal choice, and people do tend to follow celeb trends, so these odd/weird names are coming to our playgrounds, you said that your sister knew a kid called milky way and this kid aint no celebs kid, like i said it doesnt matter but i really would like to know how and why they give their kids names like that.
    This was more than 15 years ago, so I doubt whoever called this kid Milky Way was following a celeb.
    So your saying it gives people something to talk about but when we reply it is none of our business, i guess that's thread over?

It's my business what I call my kids, but really, why do some people have such visceral reactions to names that aren't what they think are normal. Harper is a perfectly fine name, but the way some people are going on, you'd think she was called Vomit. I just don't understand it.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughters second name (not middle name) is Olive. My mother took the mickey demanding to know why I named her after Popeyes wife! Olive was my late, beloved mother-in-laws name.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter. But it gives me a giggle.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughters second name (not middle name) is Olive. My mother took the mickey demanding to know why I named her after Popeyes wife! Olive was my late, beloved mother-in-laws name.

I knew an Olive Boyle. She never lived that down!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harper Lee wrote "To Kill A Mocking Bird".
    Its more likely this http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/?cmpid=glight_hbz_ggl_8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »
    Harper... it's not bad. But Seven? Why just throw in a random number there? Was it conceived on the 7th floor of a hotel?
    Wasn't it the number on his England shirt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it the number on his England shirt?

Yeah, that's probably it. I'm not au fait with football. Still an odd thing to do though, make one of your child's names a number. Those wacky celebs.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »

How do you know it's random? Someone in another thread said it was derived from the Hebrew word for 'complete'.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Seven is also a magical number in Paganism. Perhaps they thought it would bring the child health, wealth and happiness. Failing that, perhaps the Beckhams caught a bit of Star Trek Voyager and thought mm yep that's a great name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with the name VB called her child. :)

It has nothing to do with other people what they call their children but when you hear people calling their child/ren Apple or Facebook you just think WTF!!!!!:eek:
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cos it's a ****ing horrible name.

It sounds like a distant planet with aliens as it's inhabitants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    How do you know it's random? Someone in another thread said it was derived from the Hebrew word for 'complete'.

I'm sure that's what Posh Spice had in mind :D I think the football shirt explanation is the more likely one.
  • Options
    Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people's ideas of what are 'different' names vary greatly also, my 2 sons have very traditional names, and my daughter is called Amelie, not different at all in my book but i've had quite a few unsavoury comments, i can only assume it's just because people round here aren't very familiar with it and that's why it sounds odd to their ear. In my mind it's a beautiful name and why me and her father gave it to her, which is surely the reason any parent names their child the way they do?
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Tamryn29 wrote: »
    Some people's ideas of what are 'different' names vary greatly also, my 2 sons have very traditional names, and my daughter is called Amelie, not different at all in my book but i've had quite a few unsavoury comments, i can only assume it's just because people round here aren't very familiar with it and that's why it sounds odd to their ear. In my mind it's a beautiful name and why me and her father gave it to her, which is surely the reason any parent names their child the way they do?

And a very good film too! :)