Options

Pretending to be in an elevator!

MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What's all this about pretending to be in an elevator to talk about their business plan before allowing them to be seated? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol very silly wasnt it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its called the Elevator Pitch
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_pitch
  • Options
    jack846jack846 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way is up:D
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid gimmicky rubbish.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very standard idea in business. The idea is that if you cannot get someone interested in 30 seconds then there is no point in going any further.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D We once had a newly hired manager saying, "All right, let's pretend we're in Men's, and I'm doing this (standing as if he's peeing) and you only have one minute, ONE minute, to pitch it to me. Let's have at it!" He stared at us and we all four women stared back. One put her hand up and asked "In Men's room?"

The light in the manager's head finally came on. He blushed furiously while stammering: "In a lift! WE'RE IN THE LIFT! We're in the lift! We're in the lift and you have only one minute, okay? Fire away!" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's a very standard idea in business. The idea is that if you cannot get someone interested in 30 seconds then there is no point in going any further.
    But surely the same words could have been spoken by th person sitting down as well!!!! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    But surely the same words could have been spoken by the person sitting down as well as standing up!!!! :confused:
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely the same words could have been spoken by th person sitting down as well!!!! :confused:

Exactly - this is what I hate about modern business juvenile role play rubbish. Infact no need for the 'elevator' conceit at all - just ask the candidates to succinctly describe their business plans or is that not pretentious enough? :rolleyes: I think I'd walk out of an interview if I was asked to do that - life's too short. Why would you want to work with morons who think like that?
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He read it in a book 'How to interview'. It was cringmaking.
  • Options
    ultrosultros Posts: 8,504
    Forum Member
    Ha ha,that guy has clearly been reading the 'David Brent's guide to business' handbook :eek:
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    But surely the same words could have been spoken by the person sitting down as well as standing up!!!! :confused:

It's putting them under unexpected pressure, "on the spot" so to speak, to see how they handle it when summarising their business quickly.

Elevator pitches are quite common.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Why not just say you've got 30seconds, off you go?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was more annoyed about the fact that they kept calling it an "elevator".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDhnny8iUww
  • Options
    totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elevator speech... first time I heard a successful enterprenuer use "management speech", edwina, melody or natasha would have loved that.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D Nice one!
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty standard in anything creative...If you can't describe your idea in a sentence then it's probably flawed. They can stand up and say it because if they can't even say one clear sentence then they might aswell turn around and leave.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    :D We once had a newly hired manager saying, "All right, let's pretend we're in Men's, and I'm doing this (standing as if he's peeing) and you only have one minute, ONE minute, to pitch it to me. Let's have at it!" He stared at us and we all four women stared back. One put her hand up and asked "In Men's room?"

The light in the manager's head finally came on. He blushed furiously while stammering: "In a lift! WE'RE IN THE LIFT! We're in the lift! We're in the lift and you have only one minute, okay? Fire away!" :D

Lol :D

Womans hand goes up again "Why are you peeing in a lift?"
  • Options
    aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just another wacky idea that keeps consultants in a job.

This is what happens when you let 'nu labour' run the country.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    It's corporate bullshit with using imagery.

Why not just say 'you have 30 seconds to sell me your idea', works just as well.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan got out at floor 3489
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan got out at floor 3489

I could just imagine Susan still talking to herself as the lift ejects from the top floor and flies into space :D
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm confused... Isn't 'Pharmacy' a British word? Americans don't usually call their chemist or "pharmacy" by those names... it's usually just called "the drugs store".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    It's corporate bullshit with using imagery.

Why not just say 'you have 30 seconds to sell me your idea', works just as well.

Exactly.

About once a week at work someone says 'elevator pitch' or wants to pretend being in an 'elevator' (aka a lift).

It's just cringeworthy and I almost hid behind the couch when the guy asked the candidates to do that.

I understand that you have to be able to put across your idea in a very short space of time, I just dont have to be in an elevator to do that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    It was a way of getting them focused to actually give a clear and concise summary of their business plan.
    - some of them may have been incapable of this otherwise. (like Melody was)

This was needed for television so that the viewing public knew what was going on and what the businesses were actually about.