Options

If the place is half empty, sit somewhere else

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else find it annoying if you're sitting in a three quarters empty cinema/church/bus and some one comes in and sits right up beside you? Even if it means you having to move your coat or shuffle up a bit or whatever.

Happened to me yesterday and I really couldn't understand it. Why would you want to sit on top of someone else when there's loads of space to spread yourself, your coat/bag/belongings out?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the person just wanted to make a friend. :(
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find exactly the same thing happens when you sit on an empty beach, next minute someone comes and sits right next to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else find it annoying if you're sitting in a three quarters empty cinema/church/bus and some one comes in and sits right up beside you? Even if it means you having to move your coat or shuffle up a bit or whatever.

Happened to me yesterday and I really couldn't understand it. Why would you want to sit on top of someone else when there's loads of space to spread yourself, your coat/bag/belongings out?

...was the perpetrator male or female ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...was the perpetrator male or female ?

A woman in her sixties :(
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's even more annoying when the person who comes and sits next to you absolutely stinks.

Take you pick: cigarette smoke, alcohol, BO, piss, shit, the works.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I went to an Odeon cinema on my own once, and they had a seat number on the tickets.

It turned out there was only me, and a couple, in the audience, and I was supposed to sit next to them!

I wisely decided to sit somewhere else.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

I thought church-goers were supposed to welcome strangers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I went to an Odeon cinema on my own once, and they had a seat number on the tickets.

It turned out there was only me, and a couple, in the audience, and I was supposed to sit next to them!

I wisely decided to sit somewhere else.

I've noticed that in restaurants as well. There's only one other table occupied and the waiter tries to put you at a table right beside them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    I thought church-goers were supposed to welcome strangers?

I can welcome them equally well from the next pew.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Cinemas, if it is fairly empty, you should always sit a fair bit away from other people. i.e. Not within 4-5 seats or directly behind/infront.

It is similar to car parks, when you park away from the main hub of cars, yet when you come back somebody is parked right next to you in the middle of hundreds of empty spaces. Bizarre.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am rather hoping that someone who does this pops in and tells us why. I have never understood it either.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it. I was on a virtually empty train and a woman came up and asked me to move me bag so she could sit down. I mentioned that there were a lot of other seats empty and she got really arsey and said 'but I want to sit here'

Very odd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »
    It's even more annoying when the person who comes and sits next to you absolutely stinks.

Take you pick: cigarette smoke, alcohol, BO, piss, shit, the works.

...can't recollect having anyone sit next to me smelling of shit...how incommodious :(
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Why are you all so unsociable ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

...it's a gift
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gawge wrote: »
    In Cinemas, if it is fairly empty, you should always sit a fair bit away from other people. i.e. Not within 4-5 seats or directly behind/infront.

It is similar to car parks, when you park away from the main hub of cars, yet when you come back somebody is parked right next to you in the middle of hundreds of empty spaces. Bizarre.

This really bugs me.

I once arrived before the shop opened and stayed in the car whilst OH went in the shop. I parked right over in the corner. A man in his clapped out looking Audi parked right next to me - got out and whacked my door. :mad:

The bloody car park was near empty and he parked there. Luckily my car was as clapped out as his.

His, 'sorry mate' didn't help. :(:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you do this and if so would really appreciate an explanation. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...can't recollect having anyone sit next to me smelling of shit...how incommodious :(

You've no idea how lucky you are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've no idea how lucky you are.

...would you say it was animal or human ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...would you say it was animal or human ?

Human. Human excreta always has a distinct aroma.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    It can be a cultural thing (taking seats next to someone, not poo).

In Turkey, that would be seen as quite normal, and the way that a bus/cinema/whatever fills up.

However, when it's happened to me here, I can't remember any of the people being Turkish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Human. Human excreta always has a distinct aroma.

..and it must have been fresh too as the odour has a tendency to diminish over time...ewwwwww :(
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,643
    Forum Member
    Ooh this always happens to me when I get the train to Somerset to see my folks. I get on a nice empty carriage and lo and behold even though there are about another 50 seats in the same carriage this person could sit at they always come and sit by me.

I AM a bit unsociable, particularly on trains or travelling to places - I like being in my own personal space, not having to talk to people etc.

Normally when this happens I get up and pretend I'm going to the loo/buffet carriage and then sneak into another empty seat!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whenever it's happened to me it's not as if they were very sociable and started trying to spark up a conversation with me. They've just sat there as if they are honour bound to sit beside a person even when there's loads of other seats free in a virtually empty carriage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Normally when this happens I get up and pretend I'm going to the loo/buffet carriage and then sneak into another empty seat!

I get my mobile out and like to sniff a few times before pretending to tell whoever I'm calling that the smell of shit is so overwhelming, I'm losing the signal.