Options

Someone who comes out of this all with some credit.

sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Daniel Finkelstein

The executive editor of the Times. He has been in a pretty difficult position in all of this but has not been to shy of voicing his concern. He has stood firmly where he felt he needed to and shown great respect for the concerns of many people when he has been asked valid questions.

I know this is wierd thread but I have heard him a few times and read his coloum today and find him pretty impressive.

Comments

• Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vince Cable.

Sadly Saint Milliband called for him to sacked when he (allegedly) spoke out against Murdoch, And Cameron gave in by pulling him off the Sky deal.

Ouch.
  • Options
    LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    Daniel Finkelstein

The executive editor of the Times. He has been in a pretty difficult position in all of this but has not been to shy of voicing his concern. He has stood firmly where he felt he needed to and shown great respect for the concerns of many people when he has been asked valid questions.

I know this is wierd thread but I have heard him a few times and read his coloum today and find him pretty impressive.

Quite agree - he's won many awards etc.
    Always a pleasure to read and to see him on Newsnight.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    All the Lib Dems come out with credit over all this. They were the only main party that never sucked up to Murdoch or his media empire.
    Does anyone reckon they could benefit from a lot of anti-Murdoch votes at the next general election?
    Just one more thing. I was watching the live parliamentary debate today on phone-hacking and something bothered me. A Lib Dem woman MP was trying to ask the PM a question and she was shouted down the whole way through her question. Cameron rightly criticised the MPs for this as he answered her question. Why was she shouted down and why didn't the speaker intervene?
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vince Cable.

Snap.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    All the Lib Dems come out with credit over all this. They were the only main party that never sucked up to Murdoch or his media empire.

That may be because of lack of opportunity rather than lack of willingness, after all they had no qualms about keeping stolen money donated by Michael Brown.
  • Options
    nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    Lib Dems
    Vince Cable
    The Guardian
    Chris Bryant
    Tom Watson
    solicitor Mark Lewis
    Miliband, to a degree
    me
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone reckon they could benefit from a lot of anti-Murdoch votes at the next general election?
    Just one more thing. I was watching the live parliamentary debate today on phone-hacking and something bothered me. A Lib Dem woman MP was trying to ask the PM a question and she was shouted down the whole way through her question. Cameron rightly criticised the MPs for this as he answered her question. Why was she shouted down and why didn't the speaker intervene?

He never does when its the Labour MP's shouting. If you watch him even when he is doing a general comment about all MP's he looks at the Government benches.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Ross Kemp
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Nick Davies without whose dogged persistence none of this would have come out.
    The Guardian for believing in Davies and giving him the backing and resources to see it through.
    Also the Guardian for having the balls to face down a much bigger bullying competitor who was using everything at their disposal, including the Commissioner of the Met and his chums coming round to the paper to try to "persuade" them to drop the case.
    Tom Watson and Chris Bryant
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I was asking for a map showing how everybody is connected in this the other day. Well the Guardian has one in today. It's probably the best one out to date, but still doesn't show the connection with all the private investigator shenanigans going on.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    I was asking for a map showing how everybody is connected in this the other day. Well the Guardian has one in today. It's probably the best one out to date, but still doesn't show the connection with all the private investigator shenanigans going on.:rolleyes:

...and that interactive sleaze map can be seen right here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/interactive/2011/jul/19/phone-hacking-scandal-whos-who-interactive

In respect of the News International sleazoids, there's a good case for opening up the White Tower http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Whitetowerlondon.jpg and locking the crims up in there upon conviction because they sure as hell deserve it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Ross Kemp

:D

I'm going to go with Cable, tbh.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince Cable
    Tom Watson

I thought Miliband was a better speaker than Cameron today.
    He was far more interesting.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    Vince Cable
    Tom Watson

I thought Miliband was a better speaker than Cameron today.
    He was far more interesting.

I'd also add Chris Bryant and John Whittingdale as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also add Chris Bryant and John Whittingdale as well.

I missed out Chris Bryant!

Yes, I'd include both of them.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    That may be because of lack of opportunity rather than lack of willingness, after all they had no qualms about keeping stolen money donated by Michael Brown.
    Don't get me wrong. The Lib Dems aren't completly innocent themselves as your example proves but they are genuinely completely innocent and clean when it comes to the Murdochs. I also disagree about the lack of opportunity. There was always an opportunity for the Lib Dems to court Murdoch but to their credit not a single one of its members took it -or at least as far as we know they didn't and Im sure we would've found out by now if any of them did.
    Labour also previously resisted until Blair became leader and we know what happened after that.
    Jilly wrote: »
    He never does when its the Labour MP's shouting. If you watch him even when he is doing a general comment about all MP's he looks at the Government benches.
    I guess his critics were right after all.:( Just when I was starting to think they were exaggerating about him. Thanks for the answer but does anyone have an answer to my other question? Why was that woman shouted down? Was it Labour MPs shouting because she's a Lib Dem and they still haven't forgiven them for joining the Tories? Were any other Lib Dems shouted down also?
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Major
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh Grant and Nick Davis.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look, Dave has the most links :D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also disagree about the lack of opportunity. There was always an opportunity for the Lib Dems to court Murdoch
    Do you think Murdoch allows people to court him - if Murdoch wants you then you are invited in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Oh look, Dave has the most links :D

followed closely by Rebekah.

"We're all in this together." going by the chart, yes, they are.

I haven't heard Cameron use the phrase lately. Has he dropped it?
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    followed closely by Rebekah.

"We're all in this together." going by the chart, yes, they are.

I haven't heard Cameron use the phrase lately. Has he dropped it?

yeah Next "im getting on with the job":rolleyes:
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    Daniel Finkelstein

Yes I agree he is pretty good. I saw an article by him yesterday in the Times and he made some very interesting points on the subject of plurality with regard to the source of news in the UK based on numbers produced by Ofcom.

His conclusion was if plurality regarding the source of news is a concern it isn't Murdoch you should be concerned about but the dominance of the BBC. It wasn't a case of having a bash at the BBC who he has much parise for but simply pointing out it overwhelming dominates TV news which accounts for around 70% of the public's news source and also dominates the online news arena which is the main source of news for the under 30s. Meanwhile newspapers are the main news source for less than 10%.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Lib Dems come out with credit over all this. They were the only main party that never sucked up to Murdoch or his media empire
    I guess that, at the time, they didn't think that they would need to, nor did they have the opportunity, being so far removed from the prospect of Government.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Moseley.

Kudos to the bloke for helping others too.