• Options
    MikeyDLuffyMikeyDLuffy Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    'Wake up..time to die' - hehe
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alongside The Thing I think this must be one of the most perfectly realised films ever made, just flawless.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now a documentary on the making of it.

Cool.
  • Options
    thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did go in with an open mind. But it left me cold at the end of the film. I don't know if tha'st how you're supposed to feel. It's a visual masterpiece I'll give it that but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the story. I think Blade Runner is one of those films that you have to see multiple times to truly appreciate it and I will see it again when I get the chance, maybe I'll get it on blu-ray.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I did go in with an open mind. But it left me cold at the end of the film. I don't know if tha'st how you're supposed to feel. It's a visual masterpiece I'll give it that but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the story. I think Blade Runner is one of those films that you have to see multiple times to truly appreciate it and I will see it again when I get the chance, maybe I'll get it on blu-ray.

I felt pretty much the same as you the first time i watched it, but then i watched it again a few years later on Blu Ray (damn nice transfer by the way) and now i love it. Brilliant film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Yep, i felt similar on first viewing, but as was mentioned in the documentary, it wasnt exactly made to make you feel good. I wish they would have put the docu on first before the film, anybody agree?

(Edit) just re-read the post. Yeah i also felt the story was lacking a little, it was mentioned in the doc that was the one thing, more than anything, that probably let the film down in the end. Its still good. :) could have been just as likely worse rather than any better. Esp. considering all the problems.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Considering the age of this movie and the lack of technology at the time, this is a brilliant insight into what could still be the future.

There was plenty of technology around in 1982. We didn't live in caves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I too have never got this film. Just another cop thriller.

An Battlestar Galactica is just about a big spaceship.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    You argument is compelling. Not! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    You argument is compelling. Not! :rolleyes:

My typing isn't too clever either by the look of it.:o
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen Blade Runner, but many years ago (I don't even know which version it was ! How many different versions are there anyway ? :D)
    I couldn't record it last night - I was recording something else !
    Will the film AND documentary be repeated ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    What, that he's a replicant? Yeah it's never actually stated but it's inferred

it's a pretty strong indication though. However, I've yet to work out what the matchstick man meant - seems to suggest someone is human and not replicant :confused:

But it is a masterpiece and every time I watch it I get totally captivated by it's beauty and vision, I don't think there has been a sci-fi film since Metropolis that has had such an impact on the genre, visually.

I think Scott did a great job of restoring the film, though my only gripe with this version is that line ''I want more life, Father'', it just doesn't do it for me, much preferred the original line.

And gotta say, am I the only one who thinks Zhora looks like Frida (the brunette) Lyngstad from ABBA? :p

Speaking of which, it was interesting to hear their ambitious plans for Zhora's dance routine. Don't think it would have worked in the film but it did sounded rather wonderful.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    There was plenty of technology around in 1982. We didn't live in caves.

I know. I was there.

What I meant was lack of cgi

I assumed people would realise that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Alongside The Thing I think this must be one of the most perfectly realised films ever made, just flawless.

You've hit the nail on the head there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    One of the great things about this movie that I've only just realised is .............. there's no sequel.

There's a beginning a middle and an end, that's it,

rumours are that chris nolan is being touted for a sequel or spin off
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My fave film ever, love the visual style, and have no problem with the moral ambiguity. Some incredible performances from pretty much everyone, and the fact that you didn't really know who, or if there were any good-guys or bad-guys is it's strength.

Someone said they liked the voice-over and expected brick-bats. Personally I agree, it made it more noir-ish, and I felt it worked with the tunneling of Sam Spade in the future. The ending in the original was so totally at odds with the rest of the film, it makes that version silly.

Don't see how it can be considered another cop-thriller, unless replicants and futuristic technology is a staple of them nowadays.

Oh, and there has been a book written as a sequel to Bladerunner, "The edge of Human" it's god-awful and I haven't been able to get past the first few chapters. Mind you I felt the same way about "do androids dream of Electric sheep".

Talks of a sequel or prequel in movies being made. I'm not normally a fan of prequels, but in this case I'd prefer that, as most of the characters couldn't really be in a sequel.
  • Options
    ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sequel would be madness. A remake would be even worse :eek:
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridley is great stylist, but poor storyteller. Original version was "unreleasable", and studio quite rightly cut, and added voiceover.

It's not really "about" Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream", since it entirely misses the main point.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it in the cinema , it obviously had problems , but just as an audio visual experience it was fantastic , so beautiful .

seeing the various versions over the years hasn't really improved it , it still seems like an unfinished symphony to me .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Ridley is great stylist, but poor storyteller. Original version was "unreleasable", and studio quite rightly cut, and added voiceover.

It's not really "about" Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream", since it entirely misses the main point.

Couldn't disagree more, the sequels, of the directors cuts have made millions as well as being critically acclaimed. The studio's cut bombed in the box-office.

Seems pretty conclusive that Ridley was right, and he's had a few other box-office hits too.

I find him very uneven myself, but there's no doubt that Alien, Gladiator and Blade Runner will be remembered for many decades. Even Thelma and Louise (which I hated with a passion Black Hawk Dawn, Black, Someone to Watch Over me (which I loved), will also have there fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't disagree more, the sequels, of the directors cuts have made millions as well as being critically acclaimed. The studio's cut bombed in the box-office.

Seems pretty conclusive that Ridley was right, and he's had a few other box-office hits too.

I find him very uneven myself, but there's no doubt that Alien, Gladiator and Blade Runner will be remembered for many decades. Even Thelma and Louise (which I hated with a passion Black Hawk Dawn, Black, Someone to Watch Over me (which I loved), will also have there fans.

but the directors cut didn't do too well either did it ?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of Ridley's films, I prefer his 1st feature, The Duellists. More about the actual story, not special effects or grandiose photography.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but the directors cut didn't do too well either did it ?

I thought it did very well myself. Have no figures to back it up, I'll admit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it did very well myself. Have no figures to back it up, I'll admit.

this is what it says on box office mojo

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=bladerunner.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but the directors cut wasn't even released in the cinema properly, it was sales on DVD (one of the first) and video that made it popular, so boxoffice mojo makes little sense.