Options

Do you think the 2000's are bland and boring compared to the 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,442
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I remember the 70's and 80's having lots of charm and charactor about them. It was a great era to grow up in. The 90's weren't too bad either. But as for the 2000's, it's just bland, boring and charactorless in comparison really. All this political correctness and "health and safety" nonsence. I think modern technology like mobile phones and the internet(says I as use the internet every day!) has played a part in it all too. I could go on with more examples. Basically all just a bland and boring era to live in in my opinion. There hasn't really been much change since 2000, every year seems very "samey". Whilst look at how different 1981 was compared to 1970.

Some of you will say it's a growing up thing. That you will allways look back nostalgically on the era when you were a youngster, teenager and your early adult years. But I don't really think that's strictly the case. If I could magically go back to being 18 in THIS era, or go back to being 18 back in say 1988(I was actually 15/6 back then) I would choose the latter. OR if I could choose to remain the same age as I am now, but go back in time to the 70's or 80's that would be amazing.

Out of interest to those of you who were born in say the early 50's, did you find the 80's and 90's was a bland and boring era to live in?

And those of you who are not old enough to remember the 70's and 80's. What do you think it's like in the 21st century? And do any of you wish you'd have been around in the 70's, 80's or even early 90's to experience what life was like back then?

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Yes indeed, everything from fashion to music to politics is bland by comparison.
    Kids these days all seem to dress the same, and have no individuality, there has not been a real rebellious change in almost 20 years, we need another punk or new romantic genre to sweep teens off of their feet, but I fear that the apathy is too ingrained and it would just pass them by, not being able to look up from their blackberry screens long enough to notice it :(
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cool: I grew up in the 70's and 80's.I remember the music and cars mostly and the fashions.
    Loved The Grimleys.Brought it all rushing back.
    The 90's onwards don't really do much for me.

PS Tucker sends his regards.;)
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Yes indeed, everything from fashion to music to politics is bland by comparison.
    Kids these days all seem to dress the same, and have no individuality, there has not been a real rebellious change in almost 20 years, we need another punk or new romantic genre to sweep teens off of their feet, but I fear that the apathy is too ingrained and it would just pass them by, not being able to look up from their blackberry screens long enough to notice it :(

Indie kids, goths, 'chavs' etc don't all dress the same at all. Odd that you are arguing that everyone is the same yet want a specific thing to sweep teens off their feet and make them all the same.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those of us old enough to remember the 70s and 80s feel it's boring in comparison now because we're too old to get involved in the more exciting aspects of youth culture. Every generation seems to think 'it was better when I was a lad'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I grew up in the 70s and 80s I tell my nephews what I used to get upto as a kid and I just get a blank stare back, kids today have no imagination, all they are bothered about is what clobber to wear and if you have the latest gadgets.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I grew up in the 70s and 80s I tell my nephews what I used to get upto as a kid and I just get a blank stare back, kids today have no imagination, all they are bothered about is what clobber to wear and if you have the latest gadgets.

:( Kids are getting old before their time.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to buck the trend here, and say that I prefer the 2000's to what went before.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they were for me because I was bezzing about on my bike and playing on rope-swings as opposed to working every day and raising children.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fact that Labour shut down thousands of pubs with a total ban on smoking didn't help:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had experienced trends and big changes in communities feelings towards media and effect from 2000 to around 2004, the rest was lost on me as "bland" as it had been put. From 2005 onwards, I don't feel that any media had much impact.

I'm 22, so people can take what they like from what I say. I liked the media that I had seen from the 70's, and absolutely love the media from the 80's, and strongly like the 90's also... but the 00's, from around 04, it was lost on me. Kind of like "well it's already there, so lets improve on it" instead of "lets do something different, something crazy, like this!"

Considering my age, which I know many will consider young and inexperienced; to answer the OP question in its simplest, yes.
  • Options
    Little-IanLittle-Ian Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the 90s. I feel old now aged 28. I cant believe how quick the years pass. I would have liked to be around in the 60s or 70s.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it was probably the most eventful and most destructive decade we have had since the days of the Second World War. The events that 9/11 lead too have been truly catastrophic. In fact 9/11 alone makes the last decade anything but bland... not good... but definitely not bland.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not bland, no

far from it, quite interesting times
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New era same shit, they said the same about the 90s and how grunge had made music bland compared to the eighty's.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Hollywood and mainstream music got bland, as did Neighbours when it changed to an earlier time slot in Australia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Actually it was probably the most eventful and most destructive decade we have had since the days of the Second World War. The events that 9/11 lead too have been truly catastrophic. In fact 9/11 alone makes the last decade anything but bland... not good... but definitely not bland.

OK, that makes for one large event of devastation and travesty, but is that everything the 2000's was? One large event with many other smaller events, trends, fashions, and cultures copying each other until it is over?
    New era same shit, they said the same about the 90s and how grunge had made music bland compared to the eighty's.

If anyone needs to open their mind and expand their thoughts rather than jump to conclusions, it may well be you.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't make films or music like they did in the 80s. That era is untouchable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haruhion wrote: »
    OK, that makes for a large event, but is that all the 00's was? One large event with many other smaller events trends, fashions, and cultures copying each other?

Well it was more than just a "event". There's more to a decade than popculture and fashion... that's just superficial surface nonsense. Sorry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    They don't make films or music like they did in the 80s. That era is untouchable.

I think the 70s were the best for movies.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

top gun? really?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was more than just a "event". There's more to a decade than popculture and fashion... that's just superficial surface nonsense. Sorry

Well of course it is, but I'm pushing you for an answer and didn't say "popculture". Instead... you say "there's more". I was hoping that you would convince me rather than simply tell me I'm wrong. And I had said trends and culture. These are large effects aren't just superficial nonsense. It goes along with how people react with media, how people respond to cultural changes and worldwide events such as 9/11. I was genuinely hoping for more substance from yourself rather than "You're wrong". The only thing you have to be sorry for is not answering with enough content, but I won't hold it against you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 70s were the best for movies.

Which ones stand out for you lala?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    top gun? really?:D

That's one of my favourites!

I love naff films like Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club too.

Conversely, whilst it's considered 'cool' to like the Godfather trilogy (from the 70s), they bored me rigid.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haruhion wrote: »
    Well of course it is, but I'm pushing you for an answer and didn't say "popculture". Instead... you say "there's more". I was hoping that you would convince me rather than simply tell me I'm wrong. And I had said trends and culture. These are large effects and isn't just superficial nonsense. It goes along with how people react with media, how people respond to cultural changes and worldwide events such as 9/11. I was genuinely hoping for more substance from yourself rather than "You're wrong". The only thing you have to be sorry for is not answering with enough content, but I won't hold it against you.

I don't think you're "wrong", as this is all largely subjective and opinion based anyway. What I will say is that the 1980's in this country were truly wretched, Despite the music, trust me when I tell you that they were very hostile and unpleasant times for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which ones stand out for you lala?

Gosh... where to start?

The godfather 1&1.
    French Connection.
    Jaws.
    The Exorcist.
    A Clockwork Orange.
    Apocalypse Now.
    China Town.
    Manhattan.
    Rocky.
    Network.
    Taxi Driver
    Mean Streets
    Dog Day Afternoon
    Halloween
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Kramer vs. Kramer
    Star Wars: a new hope
    Close Encounters
    Alien
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 70s was depressing. The fashion was really bad, polyester and flares. Lots of strikes and the winters were freezing.

The 80s was the best. The fashion was a lot better, rah rah skirts and flourescent socks, and that was just the boys. :) Music was great (at least till SAW). The films were even better. The only down side was Thatcher.

The 90s was bland and fake. Lycra, Friends and Raves.

The 00s were marred by 9/11 and terrorism.