Options

Susan Ma - She stole the idea?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Helen wanted to create another Greggs like shop - as if we need another one in Britain - as practically everyone is so overweight :eek:
  • Options
    thefoxmistressthefoxmistress Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulmate61 wrote: »
    I have never used a nail file or face cream in my life. Why is it women get all the good things? :rolleyes:

Here you go :)
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member

Thanks Foxy.
    Gracious :eek: :eek: :eek: the most sophisticated I ever got was to buy a £2 bar of Neutrogena soap.
    It's so unfair. ;)
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never used a nail file or face cream in my life. Why is it women get all the good things? :rolleyes:

You have never filed your nails?
    You should, it makes them less ragged and they dont catch on things
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen wanted to create another Greggs like shop - as if we need another one in Britain - as practically everyone is so overweight :eek:
    Agree :)
    Having said that, none of the business plans were entirely new concepts. It's very difficult to come up with an truly new idea.
    If I started a cleaning business it wouldn't be a novel idea. but I may have a business plan to make it work
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure where this bit about Susan's business being "humble" started up.....

In the interviews we found out that she STARTED her business on a market stall in Greenwich - but it has obviously moved to being an online business as well as exhibiting at shows like the Ideal Home Exhibition. Its not clear that she still has that market stall, but I would doubt it as she has a much bigger presence on the internet now and not as much time as she had as a student. I'm pretty sure that her participation on the Apprentice has seen her sales soar as viewers searched out her company.

Incidentally - the fact that she chose somewhere like Greenwich to launch her business shows how on the ball she is.... a lot of the people who live round there are really into all the organic food/ vegetarianism/ natural clothing/ skincare etc (and I'm not making sweeping generalisations - I used to live there myself and there are a heck of a lot of "alternative" stalls (and proper shops) in the area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that her participation on the Apprentice has seen her sales soar as viewers searched out her company.

Susan tweeted that her website visits have gone up 20-fold since TA. Helen tweeted that she wanted to receive more jokes, and the best ones will receive a return tweet from her.

Susan seemed very knowledgeable on the skincare subject, answering all questions straight. Helen seemed very sweet, tolerant even to the naughty tweets. On TV, particularly on YH, Susan seemed glamorous and girly, with Helen more work-oriented and straight-laced, but on Twitter it seemed the opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Every year on TA there was a task on how to put together the best advertising campaign including video clip. All I can remember is Jim's inappropriate brand name EVERYDOG. Can anyone remember how Susan, Helen, and Tom contributed to the exercise?

It appears Lord Sugar's task set wasn't an academic exam after all. Susan and Tom have a real-life challenge on hand, how to put together the best possible website shopwindow to interest and hold casual surfers. Their turnover will depend on it.

In case they read this forum, what would you say to these two future millionaires? ;)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every year on TA there was a task on how to put together the best advertising campaign including video clip. All I can remember is Jim's inappropriate brand name EVERYDOG. Can anyone remember how Susan, Helen, and Tom contributed to the exercise?

As Susan was my favourite, I do remember her on that task. She had a very low profile that week, though; I think all we saw her do was tell Leon it wasn't very likely that Glenn was trying to sabotage him by getting him to pitch. That could all be in the editing though; she might have made suggestions for things that we didn't see.
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    Just to say I bought a couple of products from Susan's Tropic Skin Care and they are excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    Just to say I bought a couple of products from Susan's Tropic Skin Care and they are excellent.

Which products did you get & what do you usually use? In what way are they excellent?

Answers, I want answers! :D I am a veteran Beauty Bible tester and I demand to know! :)
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I bought the body smooth, a small one to try. I don't usually use that sort of thing as I have quite sensitive skin but I used it yesterday and my skin felt marvellous afterwards. Has to be said my skin is quite soft anyway but it just felt more so, smoother. It is not something you use every day, the suggestion on the jar is twice a week. I also made my husband use it this morning, on his forearms which are quite dry. He was not happy but afterwards he said how much better his arms felt and they are really smooth (bless him). So it must be good to exfoliate and this product does the opposite of drying. It smells pleasant too, citrusy - not overpowering.

I also bought face smoothing mask which, again, is an exfoliater. My face is inclined to be a bit oily and I do use a face mask occasionally, I try different brands. This was nice, a bit different in that it wasn't something that 'set', you just put it on your face, rub it in a bit and wait a couple of minutes before rinsing off, in my case in the shower. The result was excellent, I will use it once a week.

The next items I will buy are the cleanser, toner and tonic and the nourishing cream (I may not have remembered the exact names for these offhand). I usually buy Boots No7 protect and perfect and Oil of Olay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    I bought the body smooth, a small one to try. I don't usually use that sort of thing as I have quite sensitive skin but I used it yesterday and my skin felt marvellous afterwards. Has to be said my skin is quite soft anyway but it just felt more so, smoother. It is not something you use every day, the suggestion on the jar is twice a week. I also made my husband use it this morning, on his forearms which are quite dry. He was not happy but afterwards he said how much better his arms felt and they are really smooth (bless him). So it must be good to exfoliate and this product does the opposite of drying. It smells pleasant too, citrusy - not overpowering.

I also bought face smoothing mask which, again, is an exfoliater. My face is inclined to be a bit oily and I do use a face mask occasionally, I try different brands. This was nice, a bit different in that it wasn't something that 'set', you just put it on your face, rub it in a bit and wait a couple of minutes before rinsing off, in my case in the shower. The result was excellent, I will use it once a week.

The next items I will buy are the cleanser, toner and tonic and the nourishing cream (I may not have remembered the exact names for these offhand). I usually buy Boots No7 protect and perfect and Oil of Olay.

Thanks, Antonia. My skin is quite dry and I've tried numerous different brands, and finding Liz Earle stuff stopped the hunt. I've not really used her body products though & she doesn't (yet?) do a body scrub - which is something that made me wonder if Susan was basing her products on LE, particularly as the cleanser has practically the same ingredients, also comes with a cloth (not beautifully soft, but not nearly a fiver either! And it's meant to exfloiate!) and is practically the same design of pump.

I don't have a problem with trying anything new (otherwise I wouldn't enjoy BB testing so much!), and ordinarily Susan's things are something that I might try. But when I saw that website in which she called the design before time, with the site embarrassed enough to offer the highest contributor some kind of financial recompense for their time & effort; and she appears to be plagiarising a multi-award winning existing brand (which is highly ethical & extremely professional - and you would be hard-pushed to find a more pleasant customer care experience), well, no I don't go there.

Btw, you might like to try signing up as a Beauty Bible tester. It is very popular and availability of testing slots depends on how many applicants of your skin type apply, etc. You do have to be committed to complying with the testing criteria and recording comprehensive reports on the various products, but it's a real treat too! Give it a go, you might enjoy it :)