Options

ER....From the beginning.

Comments

• Options
    BLADESMAN1889BLADESMAN1889 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed! But was I the only one screaming at the TV for the first ten minutes because no had found them?

No, I was too ! :D

In fact I really had to control myself cos I was so tempted to hit ff on my sky remote (that's the beauty of never watching anything live) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally caught up over the weekend and watched all 10 episodes in my planner and all I can say is...WOW

It must have covered about three months, from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day and my highlights included:

Alan Alda leaving due to Alzheimers, yet helping Carter out one last time before he went :(

Jeanie Boulet (or whatever she's called now that she's married Reggie the policeman :)) leaving (for some reason I really liked her character and was sorry to see her go), but at least she got a happy ending (unlike some)

Dr Elizabeth Corday having to deal with Mark's grumpy father and his stroppy daughter who rather inconveniently started her periods at the age of 10 :eek:

Dr Elizabeth Corday almost turning into a killer just so she could make Rawlins reveal information of where he had put the bodies :eek:

Carol giving birth! One of the best episodes so far imo...loved it when she was giving birth in the ER and hitting Carter and yelling at him to get out as she didn't want him seeing anything he shouldn't :D

The introduction of Abby Lockhart...strange seeing her and
    Luka
    being complete strangers with each other when we all know what happens there ;):D

And of course poor Lucy and Carter :cry: Another great episode and amazingly, even though I had seen it before, there was loads I had forgotten about. I had completely forgotten that Lucy didn't die straight away and it was heart wrenching when all the staff were working on both Lucy and Carter and they just had to get on with it, even though they were all completely shell shocked and emotional by what had just happened.

I particularly love the relationship between Benton and Carter...Benton never seemed to bond with another student the way he did with Carter and I think it showed in
    the very last season when Carter had a kidney transplant and Benton came back to do the operation for him and ended up saving his life when it all went wrong

Apologies for the long post btw, I didn't meant to say so much! :D

Will definitely make more of an effort to keep up now...watching so many episodes in one go was all very well, but I did miss out on a lot and I can't wait to see what happens next :)
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I loved loved loved these episodes and found a new love for Romano.
    Had to look away when they 'cracked' Lucy! :eek:
    Agree with Benton's special bond with Carter, particularly noticeable when he did a heroic sprint to the ER to help, bodychecking a policeman on the way. :D
    Cried when Carter kept asking about Lucy and in the end guessed what had happened. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...I particularly love the relationship between Benton and Carter...Benton never seemed to bond with another student the way he did with Carter and I think it showed in ...

Also seen when...
    As a result of the stabbing Carter becomes addicted to pain killers and Benton accompanies him to rehab
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In todays episode is the actor who was recently in
    V - he played Ryan. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also seen when...
    As a result of the stabbing Carter becomes addicted to pain killers and Benton accompanies him to rehab

I'm glad you mentioned that as I was thinking the other day that I vaguely remembered a storyline with Carter in which that happened and then I thought I had imagined it :)

Re the "star" spotting going on...when I was writing my very long post the other day :o I forgot to mention that I spotted Pete from Mad Men in it. He played a patient who had eaten half a tube of paint and Lucy got him a bed in rehab, but then he got booted out to make way for Carol's pregnant friend (played by Martha Plimpton). I did wonder if he would be the one who would stab Lucy and Carter, but obviously it ended up being someone else :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohh Carol,

I know she's a good person but from the start upto now there is something about her that slowly builds into a disliking of her.

I can't quite put my finger on a particular incident/episode (although on 2nd thoughts it may be her suicide attempt which plays a part) its just little small storylines that have happened.

Take for instance the recent Meg storyline, its ironic that she plays the role of the 'good' samaritan at first trying to help the woman & ends up making sure that Meg 1) Gets arrested to be sent to jail & 2) Just to make her life evan more hellish by having the baby taken from her.

& THAT annoying, whiney, patronising tone of voice !

I think on a more personal note it also has a lot to do with the fact that she has the same hairstyle from start to finish - & I have always liked woman with shorter, straight hair ! :D

Anyway rant over as I felt I was going to explode if I didn't get that out of my system soon :D
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohh Carol,

I know she's a good person but from the start upto now there is something about her that slowly builds into a disliking of her.

I can't quite put my finger on a particular incident/episode (although on 2nd thoughts it may be her suicide attempt which plays a part) its just little small storylines that have happened.

Take for instance the recent Meg storyline, its ironic that she plays the role of the 'good' samaritan at first trying to help the woman & ends up making sure that Meg 1) Gets arrested to be sent to jail & 2) Just to make her life evan more hellish by having the baby taken from her.

I think on a more personal note it also has a lot to do with the fact that she has the same hairstyle from start to finish - & I have always liked woman with shorter, straight hair ! :D

Anyway rant over as I felt I was going to explode if I didn't get that out of my system soon :D
    We're on episode 17 today.. she leaves in episode 21..not long now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you mentioned that as I was thinking the other day that I vaguely remembered a storyline with Carter in which that happened and then I thought I had imagined it :)

Re the "star" spotting going on...when I was writing my very long post the other day :o I forgot to mention that I spotted Pete from Mad Men in it. He played a patient who had eaten half a tube of paint and Lucy got him a bed in rehab, but then he got booted out to make way for Carol's pregnant friend (played by Martha Plimpton). I did wonder if he would be the one who would stab Lucy and Carter, but obviously it ended up being someone else
    :)

He also plays Connor, Angels son in Angel :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ohh Carol,

I am with you here, I can not place my dislike on anything particular, I remember not liking her character the last time I watched the show too though.

It is her holier than thou attitude that she seems to always have, judging colleagues for doing something wrong and yet she was doing things wrong all the time when Doug was around. Which made her hypocritical so that annoys me.

But it is strange as I don't like other characters past and present and future, but Carol is the only one that constantly annoyed me and I just wanted her gone. And I don't think it is the actress as I quite like The Good Wife :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am with you here, I can not place my dislike on anything particular, I remember not liking her character the last time I watched the show too though.

It is her holier than thou attitude that she seems to always have, judging colleagues for doing something wrong and yet she was doing things wrong all the time when Doug was around. Which made her hypocritical so that annoys me.

I couldn't agree more. In fact you wrote a lot of stuff that I forgot to put in, as you said her moral stance, evan if her way was wrong. Also she had to stick her nose into other peoples business & then from up on her pedestal advise then on what was the right thing to do.

It always bugged me that she got so emotionaly involved/attached with certain cases & then turned them into a personal crusade. She evan did this with her co-workers, very recently with Dr Kovacs - whilst still moping around after Doug she has been enjoying the attention/good Intension from him but if Doug were to walk through the door she wouldn't give a moments thought for Luka BUT when Abby commented on whether he was single our not, Carol gave her 'the eyes' & turned all MOODY on her as if she was knowingly hitting on her husband ffs.
    I could go on but I'm going to watch Holby which I Sky+ ed
    earlier before I fell asleep :D cbs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Been watching this myself since Sky Atlantic started airing it again. I did watch much of it when it first aired and it's always good to look back and reminisce.
  • Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if I'm making this up, but I sort of remembe Dr Chen getting 'knocked up' by that Nurse who kept fainting!:confused:
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Its been really weird seeing all the actors who have gone onto other shows appear in the early seasons :)

Weirder,the other day watching "Coming To America" the jerk boyfriend was a fresh-faced curly-haired Eriq La Salle,some years before the assured Peter Benton graced Cook County General.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Weirder,the other day watching "Coming To America" the jerk boyfriend was a fresh-faced curly-haired Eriq La Salle,some years before the assured Peter Benton graced Cook County General.

Yeah when I first watched the show I thought it was funny, Soul Glo :D:D

Soul Glo Eriq La Salle
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love ER! I only discovered it a couple of months ago. When it first started I was only a baby!

I'm up to almost the end of season 10 but it's not as good as the early series. In my opinion it started declining a bit after season 8 once Mark Greene left - he really was the heart of ER.

I've started watching from the beginning again too and it's just so much better in the early series. The cast all seem to gel and I love every character. I love Carol and Doug together. I love early Carter so much more than later Carter who is kind of a jerk!

Season 10 is still good but nowhere near as good as previous series. They've killed off Romano who I loved, Corday is being desperately underused; her only storylines being her dating random men, and I really couldn't care less about the wooden characters like Gallant and Chen

Still love ER though!
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,979
    Forum Member
    I loved ER but after Clooney left it seemed to in effect become a soap. The pilot episode which starts with Green being woken in that sleeping bunker at the start of the day and ends with him going back to it at the day's end is a TV classic. And no wonder, it was brought to us by Michael Crichton and Stephen Spielberg at their best!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohh Carol,

I couldn't agree more. In fact you wrote a lot of stuff that I forgot to put in, as you said her moral stance, evan if her way was wrong. Also she had to stick her nose into other peoples business & then from up on her pedestal advise then on what was the right thing to do.

It always bugged me that she got so emotionaly involved/attached with certain cases & then turned them into a personal crusade. She evan did this with her co-workers, very recently with Dr Kovacs - whilst still moping around after Doug she has been enjoying the attention/good Intension from him but if Doug were to walk through the door she wouldn't give a moments thought for Luka BUT when Abby commented on whether he was single our not, Carol gave her 'the eyes' & turned all MOODY on her as if she was knowingly hitting on her husband ffs.
    I could go on but I'm going to watch Holby which I Sky+ ed
    earlier before I fell asleep :D cbs

It's funny, I never really thought much about Carol one way or the other, but after reading the comments on here I realised that you're right! :)

The stuff with Luka has been annoying me a bit...he's spending lots of time with her, both in and out of work, and yet whilst it may all be perfectly innocent, she gets really huffy if anybody asks her about it, yet at the same time equally gets annoyed if anybody shows an interest in him! There was a bit the other day when Luka was talking to Abby and Carol was watching them both and seemed really annoyed that they had spoken about something personal.

Oh well, at least we won't have to put up with her for much longer... :)

More "star" spotting again...both Mitch Pileggi (who played Mulder and Scully's boss in the X Files) and Dan Lauria (who played the dad in The Wonder Years) have had guest spots in the past few days...not sure if this counts though as they have appeared in ER after they have become famous rather than before? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

More "star" spotting again...both Mitch Pileggi (who played Mulder and Scully's boss in the X Files) and Dan Lauria (who played the dad in The Wonder Years) have had guest spots in the past few days...not sure if this counts though as they have appeared in ER after they have become famous rather than before? :)

Dakota Fanning was in Yesterday/Today's episode :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone who hasn't watched tonight's episode - all I have to say is have tissues at hand :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    ER is one of my favourite shows. Have them all downloaded in HD.
    What a wonderful series! Season 5/6 are my favourite. I really liked Lucy's character, her "relationship" and chemistry with Carter. Be Still My Heart and All In The Family are two best episodes in TV ever...
    First time I saw ER when it was showed in our local channel few years ago. They started with season 6 and ended with 10. Of course, I wanted to see it all, so...
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who hasn't watched tonight's episode - all I have to say is have tissues at hand :)

I'm watching right now...:cry:
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I have the seasons 1-6 video boxsets. Didn't watch ER from the beginning religiously (definitely remember watching the odd episode here and there) but was hooked by the time season 4 was first transmitted up until around season 13.

Watching old episodes of ER was one of my rainy day at home hobbies and it was great viewing.

I started watching the final season again and it's definitely worth watching for those who haven't seen it, especially for..
    the numerous guest appearances by cast members from seasons past. The way they did the appearances of Mark and Romano was excellent with the flashback - it was like watching classic ER. Catching up with Doug and Carol was great too.

More "star" spotting again...both Mitch Pileggi (who played Mulder and Scully's boss in the X Files) and Dan Lauria (who played the dad in The Wonder Years) have had guest spots in the past few days...

Speaking of him, I've recently been watching the last two series of 'Dallas' again and who should turn up when JR's spending time in the sanitarium but Mitch Pileggi playing one heck of a violent git.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm watching right now...:cry:

Did you cry your eyes out :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even though I remembered what happened with Mark's dad, I still found it incredibly moving when he took him out on the boat one last time and also when
    he stayed with him right til the end looking after him (I put this bit in spoilers for those of us who won't get to see this bit until next week :)). I think it made it more touching knowing that Mark himself will die in only a few years/seasons and Elizabeth will be the one who has to take over the role of carer for him :(:cry:)