Options

New 802.11n router coming in August

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    I got mine today and the answer is more than likely no. The antenna being internal probably doesn't help.
    Why do you think that? The plastic case used by modern kit hardly constitutes a Faraday cage does it?

I can see the need for an external antenna on older metal boxed devices but not for the stuff that is around these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Why do you think that? The plastic case used by modern kit hardly constitutes a Faraday cage does it?

I can see the need for an external antenna on older metal boxed devices but not for the stuff that is around these days.
    Ok, well it must be just a co-incidence that the coverage is rubbish then. The antenna is this bit of metal at the bottom of the PCB with a wire attached to it: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v3nnuWO87V0/TKWrkTpoStI/AAAAAAAAANs/IiQwxuioUzE/s1600/dlink.jpg

I've just checked and it's actually a D-Link DSL-2640S which seems to have a bad reputation for wireless reception. it's also not an N router. Looks like Sky are dumping some of their old stock on new customers. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wireless range on my D-Link DSL-2640S is much better than the Sagem i originaly got off them, i would gladly do without n for the better range.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    The antenna is this bit of metal at the bottom of the PCB with a wire attached to it:
    That is what antennae are. :D Ideally they are of a "tuned length" but even that can be dealt with electronically.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,457
    Forum Member
    I'm an excisting Sky customer and i've just ordered the new router from Sky, at a cost of £35.00. It will take 3-5 days for delivery.
    Ian.
  • Options
    supersneaksupersneak Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I'd rather wait 2-3 months and see what the feedback is with the new router.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    supersneak wrote: »
    I'd rather wait 2-3 months and see what the feedback is with the new router.

Me too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i've just receaved my new Sky Sagem router and it seems to be working ok.
    Ian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Ian, Do you know what speed the N wireless is running at ?
    From screenshots posted on the Skyuser forum, of the wireless setup in the firmware, it looks like it doesn't support 40Mhz mode or Short guard interval.
    I think this will limit the speed to 130mbps max .

thanks

Alex
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Greyowl wrote: »
    Ian, Do you know what speed the N wireless is running at ?
    From screenshots posted on the Skyuser forum, of the wireless setup in the firmware, it looks like it doesn't support 40Mhz mode or Short guard interval.
    I think this will limit the speed to 130mbps max .

thanks

Alex

I'm not that very technical but certainly when i used to watch live streaming of the BBC IPlayer and on Sky Go their was alot of buffering and now it's perfect and certainly the signal strengh on my computer well away from the router which is upstairs and the computer downstairs is now classed as excellent and very strong, where as before it was just good and sometimes get very low, where now it's absolutely perfect and very strong.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ian, Is your downstairs computer a PC ?
    If so, try downloading the InSSIDer program and run it.
    It will list all the nearby wireless networks and their speeds.
    I suspect your wireless router will show 130N .

thanks

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Greyowl wrote: »
    Ian, Is your downstairs computer a PC ?
    If so, try downloading the InSSIDer program and run it.
    It will list all the nearby wireless networks and their speeds.
    I suspect your wireless router will show 130N .

thanks

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download
    It does show that indeed, but i don't know what it actually means, as i'm not very technical with computers and routers and when i first bought a computer i had to have my cousin to download the software so i could have access to the internet.
    Ian.
  • Options
    hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse my ignorance as I am not that technically minded, but what does this new n router wireless actually mean to accessing broadband?

I currently have a Netgear router, about 2 years old, and a Dell laptop about 4 years old.

What is the advantage of changing to this different router? Would I see an advantage with this old laptop?

Thanks is advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    It does show that indeed, but i don't know what it actually means, as i'm not very technical with computers and routers and when i first bought a computer i had to have my cousin to download the software so i could have access to the internet.
    Ian.

The normal maximum speed of an N type network data stream is 65 Mbit/s . ( slightly faster than the 54Mbit/s of the G type )
    If you have 2 aerials you can have 2 data streams at the same time.2x 65 = 130. This appears to be the max speed the new
    Sky router can do. Your wireless network will use 1 wireless channel and should appear on the InSSIDer graph as a square
    the same size as the others.
    Some routers support a setting called "Short Guard Interval". This allows a single data stream to be used at 72.2 Mbit/s if the
    connection is reliable enough. This is why you might see some routers listed as 144N. ( 2x 72.2 )
    Other speeds listed will probably be a combination of these settings but their speed will be doubled by using 2 wireless
    channels instead of 1.
    Speeds rounded up:
    1x 65 data stream becomes 135
    1x 72.2 data stream becomes 150.
    This is why some single aerial routers are labelled as 150N as that's the max speed with all the settings on.
    2x aerials = 2x 72.2 with 2 channels used = 300N and so on.
    Because each wireless channel is approx 22Mhz frequency wide, the wireless mode setting in a router might give
    options 20,40 or Auto to indicate how many channels to use.
    Cranking everything up to full sounds great, but the 2 channel option uses 2 wireless channels 4 channels apart and everything
    inbetween ! You may see these listed in the channel column in InSSIDer as 7+11 or similar. You'll see them on the channel
    chart swamping almost half of the available channels ! Very anti-social and clowns who try this in a block of apartments will probably end up with a limp ! :D
    If they need that kind of speed they should either send data over network cable, the mains wiring with homeplug units or switch to 5Ghz frequency wireless that has more available channels and isn't used as much by ISP provided routers.
  • Options
    dondondondon Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    dondon wrote: »
    I have a Sagem with 2.8Sky firmware.

Does anyone know if the new router has a stonger wireless signal as my reception upstairs and outside is rubbish.
    I received mine today: £35 inc postage.

It is a Sagemcom F@ST 2504N. I don't know if the wireless signal is 'stronger' than the old Sky router, but it does 802.11n which is a much more robust technology.

I can watch Sky Go in the garden which was impossible before and I can listen to streaming radio upstairs on my iPhone4 which also didn't work previously.

It also has a WPS setup button which makes life very easy.

When I was on the phone ordering it, I was also told that Sky Unlimited broadband should be available here within 3 months; I am a very happy bunny.
  • Options
    bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let us know in a few days how it's going, ie if it requires reboots etc.

Im afraid for the past couple of years i have used my own. I don't like the fact that Sky try to ban the own use of routers, they should allow people to use their own routers but only support those via technical support who use sky ones.
    In fact the installer who came tried telling me i couldn't get anytime+ via my own router even though i had been using it for months. He insisted i was wrong so had to give him a demo on my other box. He seemed to think this was a 'fluke'
  • Options
    websterwebster Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    How do i get the free upgrade (signed with sky broadband in October 2010, so my existing router is in warranty)?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    webster wrote: »
    How do i get the free upgrade (signed with sky broadband in October 2010, so my existing router is in warranty)?
    Thanks,
    You have to phone Sky up to order it, as it can't be done online at present.
    Ian.
  • Options
    crazymanccrazymanc Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Just rang sky they said they no nothing about it going to try and speak to someone else see if they no out about it will post back
  • Options
    crazymanccrazymanc Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    rang sky you have to order it via the tech department said i could have it if i paid £35 so i said is it not free as iam still in warranty they said no becouse there is nothing wrong with the router ive got now i thought the idea of a free upgrade was to upgrade regardless if my router was working or not they was having none of it. the tech guy did say thow that they are seeing how the new routers go and if they are successfull they will be the default routers from then on. so no free upgrade for me still in warranty can only get if i pay the £35
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Are you saying that I can just ring up Sky, pay £35 and get the new router right now? I've had my current Sky router for ages and would happily pay £35 for a newer N version. What number do I need to ring at Sky to actually get through to someone that can help?
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazymanc wrote: »
    rang sky you have to order it via the tech department said i could have it if i paid £35 so i said is it not free as iam still in warranty they said no becouse there is nothing wrong with the router ive got now i thought the idea of a free upgrade was to upgrade regardless if my router was working or not they was having none of it. the tech guy did say thow that they are seeing how the new routers go and if they are successfull they will be the default routers from then on. so no free upgrade for me still in warranty can only get if i pay the £35
    I got the same reply from Sky CS.

As I don't want to pay £35, I've cancelled the TV package.

If I rejoin Sky TV in a few months, it will have cost them twice as much in lost revenue for the £35 I will then pay.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I got the same reply from Sky CS.

As I don't want to pay £35, I've cancelled the TV package.

If I rejoin Sky TV in a few months, it will have cost them twice as much in lost revenue for the £35 I will then pay.

Same here, I refuse to pay the £35 charge, I am waiting for someone to get the new Router then I'll Swap mine for theirs
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can swap as the info is hardcoded into the router.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    I don't think you can swap as the info is hardcoded into the router.

Yeah to get connected to Sky, there is nothing in the router connecting it personally to you.