Options

Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    That's right. The SU Bar is the bar from Brookside, and above it (in real life) is the set for Nancy's flat even though that was meant to be next to ChezChez in the show.

Oh my god so it is! Ha, I hadn't clicked untill you said that. Didn't Jacqui Dixon used to own that place? They should give Diane a job behind the bar just for a laugh.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they've gone back to treating Tony as a joke then. One of the few things PM got right last year was moving him more into the "oldie" role - just a shame who he was partnered with didn't work.

And though it'll be good to see Mandy and Cindy more involved again, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about them treading over old ground yet again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked E4 tonight despite how low-key it was, even if I was thinking 'OH GOOD LORD WHAT THE ****?' when we first saw Tony, it was obviously intentional. As has been echoed previously, the fact that most of the characters intertwined at points like Amy chatting to Jason and Bart banging into Lynsey probably contributed heavily, it made Hollyoaks actually seem like a community. Nice touch with Amy referencing concern about Lee's fire-walking too considering what happened to her. Doing the ol' switcheroo with Texas between a light-hearted nemesis for Cindy and bereaved student can sometimes be jarring, but she was quite good.

I was a little surprised Brendan wasn't more alarmed/suspicious after Declan seemed pretty adamant that someone was there. Silas got lucky that time. Though if he was willing to strike Declan to cover himself, I live in hope he'll go several stages further on Ethan.
  • Options
    Jingle JangleJingle Jangle Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed tonight's E4. Lee wasn't too annoying, Dodger was, well, Dodger and I just love Cindy. Please, HO, get her out of that spa and give her a storyline. She's a great character. My biggest niggle isn't how Silas gets into the flat, but where the hell is Eileen? Has her cruise ship gone missing in the Bermuda triangle?

The whole Brendan/Lynsey friendship is quite sweet, but OMG, that passionless, awkward pass was just embarrassing. Brendan, you know it'll only end in tears. Don't go there!

Tinkie, I'm with you regarding Ruby. For me, she brings down every scene she's in.
  • Options
    Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,571
    Forum Member
    Scene of the night for me (E4 episode) was Brendan telling Silas to 'jog on' :D:D:D

And Ste, ok, you're over Brendan - we get it. Can you please now get out of his face and quit with the constant bitching in every episode? I'm just getting :yawn: with it now. :sleep:
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    I don't like what they've done to Ste. He was this little thuggy chav, that was likeable and now he's this camp gay guy who's lost his spark. I just don't like him anymore. They've turned him into the actor. And I don't think him and Brendan have any chemistry. I think Brendan and Doug had more chemistry in their short time than Ste and Brendan have ever had.

I love Cindy and it was good having Tony back.

Ruby wasn't that bad either tonight, trying to be supportive to Sinead.
  • Options
    Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,571
    Forum Member
    I don't like what they've done to Ste. He was this little thuggy chav, that was likeable and now he's this camp gay guy who's lost his spark. I just don't like him anymore. They've turned him into the actor. And I don't think him and Brendan have any chemistry. I think Brendan and Doug had more chemistry in their short time than Ste and Brendan have ever had.

I love Cindy and it was good having Tony back.

Ruby wasn't that bad either tonight, trying to be supportive to Sinead.

There was bucketloads of chemistry between Ste and Brendan back at the start of their SL. God knows where it's gone, though - not so much chemistry as toxic sludge, nowadays.

Totally agree about Brendan and Dougie, though :p Now that - I would like to see! :D
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    I loved how many characters were in tonight's E4 and how scenes blended together. Great village feel!

I like that too, they seem to have characters in the background or in shop more now as well. It really does make going from scene to scene much smoother and creates an actual village vibe!
    tinkie wrote: »
    Whether I am in a bad mood or not I don't know as I found tonight's E4 episode just average, annoying things like Silas walking into Lyndsey's and seconds later Declan unlocking the doo, the pointless scene with Dodger topless, probably does it for some but not for me. When did Amy & Lee get back together considering he lost her a job? Come to think of it, it was probably seeing Ruby that spoilt it for me

I felt the same (but I know I'm in a bad mood). It was ok, nothing special. Sinaed annoyed me (again, she always so selfish "me, me, me" - give it a rest!), Bart and Sinaed was boring. Ruby being nosy and 'supportive' didn't work either. She just wanted the goss, everything she say still soiunds so fake and contrived - I never know if she's being real or not!?

I even thought topless Dodger was pointless and just wanted to pull his jeans down they were that low! That thing that all the 'cool' lads have really isn't cool. It just makes me want to pull their pants down, obviously they want by their ankles so why shouldn't they be there! Aston from JLS is the worst I've seen doing this!

Tony's return I was looking forward to, Tony's new look is very questionable though! :D Loved Cindy being back to her normal bitchy, quick witt self :D Texas also had some questionable clothes too! No idea when Amy and Lee became on talking terms again, let alone nearly boyfriend/girlfriend!? She was so angry at him, in their last scenes last week!

Brendan/Lynsey I enjoyed and laughed when Brendan tried to kiss her :D The whole Silas getting in, Declan 'unlocking' an 'unlocked' door and Silas getting out through the locked side door, I put the How is Silas getting in Lynsey's house? thread. So won't put it on here.

And why does no one close their bedroom door when they go to bed at night!? Lynsey's was closed the night before, by the morning wide open, Sinaed's door was also wide open? Do people not close their bedroom doors at night!?

Anyway, rant over. E4 was alright, Cindy/Tony scenes were my highlight.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Amy and Lee got back together last week (or the week before) on that episode where Dodger and Amy woke up next to each other and Dodger hid in the wardrobe while Lee walks in. I have no idea how he just walked in though, unless she left the front door unlocked during the night.

I was also confused how Silas managed to get to Lynsey's room that fast. And with his age and heart problems any normal person wouldn't have made that. I actually thought Declan would catch him when he came through the front door, but Hollyoaks decided to escape reality and save him.
  • Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on tonight's HO. Great little episode.

Brendan and Silas were brilliant.

Ugh, Tony. :yawn:

Hated seeing Brendan acting like a total, total div and making a fool of himself with that kiss. Use your brain, man. :rolleyes:

Still hoping we're heading toward some point of change with Brendan, and it feels like we may be. Then he can perhaps begin to earn Ste's trust back.

Ste, whom I adore by the way. His sassiness is brilliant.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres just NO way Brendan wouldn't hve believed Declan and where the hell does that back door go to? How do they have a garden up there?

Ste is a joke. It's almost like they made him gay because Kieron was gay and he just seems to be getting camper and camper. I find it totally acceptable that he went from showing no signs of being gay to falling for Brendan but that makes him bisexual, not gay, yet he's gone from a chav with a girlfriend to a twink with bad fake tan and dodgy eyebrows just because he came out.

Tony was a joke, yes, but I think its temporary. I hope his return gives Cindy and Mandy more storylines because at the moment its the 20-25 years and the 15 year olds that rule. The 30ish crowd have become charactures like the adults on Skins.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    So they've gone back to treating Tony as a joke then. One of the few things PM got right last year was moving him more into the "oldie" role - just a shame who he was partnered with didn't work.

And though it'll be good to see Mandy and Cindy more involved again, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about them treading over old ground yet again.

2002: Tony goes off for three weeks to visit Jambo, returns with a new attitude, and a beard which Izzy hates

2011: Tony goes off for some months, returns with a new attiude and a beard, and a not too happy Mandy when she eventually sees him..

Good to see Hollyoaks being enviormentally friendly and still recycling old plot ideas :p
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    2002: Tony goes off for three weeks to visit Jambo, returns with a new attitude, and a beard which Izzy hates

2011: Tony goes off for some months, returns with a new attiude and a beard, and a not too happy Mandy when she eventually sees him..

Good to see Hollyoaks being enviormentally friendly and still recycling old plot ideas :p

Thanks for that I knew they had done this Tony gets a new perspective on life stuff before, it has really been bugging me.

I swear they just don't know what to do with him anymore.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    surfie wrote: »

I think maybe the problem is, we're not still meant to be watching. It's a teen soap. We're all meant to have graduated onto Enders or something. But some of us have longer memories and more staying power. :p

It's a shame some people don't like Ste - to me, it's completely believable that having fallen heavily for an older man who treated him badly, he would be a) out and proud, which I love, and b) pretty bitter and disappointed. I loved him appearing in the background last night to remind Brendan that he's being a total div, and it's going to end in disaster. The only problem I have is the way the show have over-stretched the Brendan/Ste story. If they wanted to deal with BB being a massive closet case and violent, they could have done that months ago, without Rae being preggers, or bloody Noah, or whatever else they wanna chuck at it to string it out. It's sending it round in circles that turns people off - I know, cos I've felt that way myself sometimes. Still think it's one of their best stories though, so I hope they don't royally muck it up.
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching Hollyoaks MusicShow and in the background saw Hollie Jay Bowes, I think she must be returning full time,well, I hope so!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching Hollyoaks MusicShow and in the background saw Hollie Jay Bowes, I think she must be returning full time,well, I hope so!

Ooh that would be good :D
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby's lines to Bart made me chuckle. They should develop on the dyslexia, show her vunerable side then give her a few months of a more relaxed role where she's just occasionally shown rather than 2 weeks of Ruby Ruby Ruby then 2 weeks of her barely appearing. I'd like Cindy to start training her as a protegee, the writers have finally realised that Cindy works best as a comedy character so they should have her getting Ruby to do her dirty work then Ruby realises this is the way she treats others.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,675
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Ruby's lines to Bart made me chuckle. They should develop on the dyslexia, show her vunerable side then give her a few months of a more relaxed role where she's just occasionally shown rather than 2 weeks of Ruby Ruby Ruby then 2 weeks of her barely appearing. I'd like Cindy to start training her as a protegee, the writers have finally realised that Cindy works best as a comedy character so they should have her getting Ruby to do her dirty work then Ruby realises this is the way she treats others.
    Ruby does not have dyslexia. She is behind the educational level she should be at simply because her education has been neglected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay! I'm finally caught up on the two weeks of Oaks I missed while away :D. There was some good stuff - Silas/Lynsey, Brendan, Amy applying for that job etc but there was also some rubbish like Bart/Sinead/Jason :yawn:

As for current Oaks, the Brendan/Lynsey stuff is really good (he has good taste in women ;):D) as is the Silas stuff - Jeff Rawe is doing such a good job at making him creepy despite some errors in the plot.

Was glad the Jason/Bart/Sinead rubbish appeared to end but then there was more of it in the E4 episode :yawn:. How convenient for that bus to be passing them down that country road... The ending with them returning also didn't do anything for me as I'm past caring for any of them now. Also the scene with the three of them in the woods (where Jason "attacked" Bart) was badly acted imo - I found it laughable.

BTW - Anyone else find the touch "guy"/boyish attitude Jason puts on very laughable and annoying or is it just me?

I'm starting to like Will more and more and Dodger's Del Boy type role does make me laugh even though the actor isn't that brilliant - infact I'm liking them more than Bart etc and Theresa/Ethan etc. I cannot believe we had more Ethan/Theresa rubbish in the E4 one - they've had loads of screen time lately and I would much rather see characters I care about/like. Plus I'm not surprised Ethan hasn't caught the killer. The divvy detective spends most of his time chasing after three girls younger than him than he does at work and what he and Will see in Theresa I don't know... :confused:
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    I loved how many characters were in tonight's E4 and how scenes blended together. Great village feel!

^^ Yep I'm liking that, tis one of the things GP has got spot on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Ruby does not have dyslexia. She is behind the educational level she should be at simply because her education has been neglected.
    I believe the politically correct term is she is thick.
  • Options
    Jingle JangleJingle Jangle Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Ste’s character progression over the past year quite credible. OK, I do concede that perhaps he should be bisexual, but other than that I don’t find his behaviour unbelievable. Much is said on these forums about Brendan’s past and reasons for his behaviour, but Ste’s background is equally as complex and troubled - an unhappy, violent upbringing, hanging around with a bad crowd and generally being a thuggy chav, to having to face up to all the responsibilities of fatherhood at such a young age whilst re-visiting the violence again, this time between himself and Amy. He then falls in love, probably really for the first time, only to have the violence rear its ugly head again, and he is then treated so badly. Is it any wonder that after giving Brendan one final chance and having his hopes crash and burn he is now feeling bitter and angry?

For me, this story isn’t about Ste accepting his sexuality (as it is for Brendan), that he has found easy. And if he has been camped up a bit for it then so be it. It’s about Ste putting his troubled and violent past behind him, and that includes the violence with Brendan, and becoming a man (gay, straight, bi – it doesn’t really matter). As much as I also liked skanky, chavvy Ste, I think his character now has much more potential for development and progression. But hey, that’s just what I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Ste’s character progression over the past year quite credible. OK, I do concede that perhaps he should be bisexual, but other than that I don’t find his behaviour unbelievable. Much is said on these forums about Brendan’s past and reasons for his behaviour, but Ste’s background is equally as complex and troubled - an unhappy, violent upbringing, hanging around with a bad crowd and generally being a thuggy chav, to having to face up to all the responsibilities of fatherhood at such a young age whilst re-visiting the violence again, this time between himself and Amy. He then falls in love, probably really for the first time, only to have the violence rear its ugly head again, and he is then treated so badly. Is it any wonder that after giving Brendan one final chance and having his hopes crash and burn he is now feeling bitter and angry?

For me, this story isn’t about Ste accepting his sexuality (as it is for Brendan), that he has found easy. And if he has been camped up a bit for it then so be it. It’s about Ste putting his troubled and violent past behind him, and that includes the violence with Brendan, and becoming a man (gay, straight, bi – it doesn’t really matter). As much as I also liked skanky, chavvy Ste, I think his character now has much more potential for development and progression. But hey, that’s just what I think.

Great post. :)

And as for camp, Ste's been 'camp' long before he came out. Kieron even said, way before PM and the gay storyline came along, that the writers had camped Ste up a bit and made him into a mini-Tony.

Apart from a bitter, sassy edge the character ha snow developed, he's the same Ste he's been for the past two years, with a bit more of a backbone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, good points there Jingle Jangle. The question is though what next for Ste - and the difficulty is should they put him in another relationship we don't want to see the same old ground covered with Brendan as the jealous ex.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Ste's character has developed naturally and believably in line with the story and the fact he is getting older, more confident, finding out who he really is, learning from his past mistakes, and moving on with his life. At times the story goes in circles but that is in part due to DV being cyclic in nature, and partly bad writing/plot such as the Noah saga etc dragging out the story. Ste was sometimes criticized for being spineless when he was a victim and now he has become out, proud, and confident he gets criticized for being fiesty or camp etc, I don't see it that way but more of a character development as the story has progressed.
    I now think the story is more about Brendan learning to accept who he is and that's solely down to him to change. Ste is encouraging him to be honest with himself and do what is right for his children, not to end up like his father and messing up his kid's lives. I personally see that as a positive influence. That's just my opinion but it is a complex story so there are lots of different views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Yes, good points there Jingle Jangle. The question is though what next for Ste - and the difficulty is should they put him in another relationship we don't want to see the same old ground covered with Brendan as the jealous ex.

I think they should, and what I believe they will do, is show him be single and independent for a while.

For the longest time, he seemed to only feel validated when part of a relationship. Some of the things he said when Noah cheated on him, like now it had happened, he finally felt good enough for Noah, were horribly depressing.

Keep him single and independent for now, then see where they take Brendan over the next few months.

I think their relationship is far from over but they have a lot of time to devote to Brendan's self-loathing before we get there.
This discussion has been closed.