Options

They didn't kill Hitler

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
He was left in a large cupboard and that was that.

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. And your point is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    yeah! *shakes fist* wtf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone actually expect them to kill Hitler though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler was just a red herring.

Much like communism was just a red herring in the movie "Clue" in fact....:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seemed like he was going to be a large part of the plot like the episode with Churchill and the Daleks, and then he's out of the story, like he's the remnant of an earlier draft cut out too suddenly in rewriting, so it seemed clumsy, messy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody wanted to kill Hitler, except the people in the robot but they were quickly distracted by the appearance of a bigger war criminal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    It seemed like he was going to be a large part of the plot like the episode with Churchill and the Daleks, and then he's out of the story, like he's the remnant of an earlier draft cut out too suddenly in rewriting, so it seemed clumsy, messy.

The whole point is, as I said, he was a deliberate red herring. And a very successful one. It really can't be called messy or clumsy because id succeeded in doing exactly what it was supposed to do. The very fact you started this thread only serves to prove what a resounding success it was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

:D

I was dreading a whole Hitler ep. I thought it would be hugely inappropriate-shoving him in a cupboard worked fab.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    daisybee79 wrote: »
    :D

I was dreading a whole Hitler ep. I thought it would be hugely inappropriate-shoving him in a cupboard worked fab.

That crafty Moffat! Misdirecting us again! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That crafty Moffat! Misdirecting us again! :D

I know, I shoulda had faith. :D
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question of "What if Hitler had died before WW2?" is a tough one and Moffat simply decided not to go there. Can't say I blame him.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha to be a fly on the wall when Hitler came out of the closet. :p
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I said when the title was announced as "Let's kill Hitler" that it's the first thing a lot of people would say if they were given access to a time machine - and the Doctor would mock them for not understanding that you can't change history - even the bad parts - willy-nilly.

I don't think many DW regulars ever really thought that the Doctor would be involved in a plan to kill Hitler - or anyone else for that matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ach blooming clever clogs you is.:)
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the BNP faithful are quite happy that a BBC luvvie didn't kill their hero. :p
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    We all wish he was.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    lol me and my sister couldnt consontrate on episode we kept randomly saying "but wait a minute isnt hitler still in the cupboard"
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    lol me and my sister couldnt consontrate on episode we kept randomly saying "but wait a minute isnt hitler still in the cupboard"
    With the script writers maybe....hiding from the mess outside.:cool:
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you're doing something very serious like Downfall putting Hitler in is a bit risky. I didn't mind he wasn't really in it, because all he was really good for was the great title.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I heard Moffat wanted to call 'A Good Man Goes to War', 'A Good Man Goes to Morrisons' but felt that was TOO much of a red herring.
    I'm not overly criticising, but I do find the title a bit odd. By all means, set it in Nazi Germany, thats a great setting. It just felt as though Hitler was in it for the sake of Hitler being in it.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody wanted to kill Hitler,

Oh I don't know, I think there were a fair few people who did. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Hitler gave a pretty good reason to bump into the Justice Department for the first time -- I'm certain it won't be the last time we see them.

Also, people here have already said that Moffat wanted to belittle Hitler -- he's sick of Hitler being portrayed as some evil genius, and wanted to show him as a pathetic little psycho bigot. It was quite a good idea.
  • Options
    dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but this thread reminds me of the bit in the Simpsons where Homer complains that "To Kill A Mocking Bird" didn't tell you how to.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niallio wrote: »
    Hitler gave a pretty good reason to bump into the Justice Department for the first time -- I'm certain it won't be the last time we see them.

Also, people here have already said that Moffat wanted to belittle Hitler -- he's sick of Hitler being portrayed as some evil genius, and wanted to show him as a pathetic little psycho bigot. It was quite a good idea.

I don't think Hitler came through as any kind of character at all, his appearance was so brief.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may not be the last time we see Hitler this series...