Options

What did he whisper?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
Forum Member
I've just this minute finished watching Let's Kill Hitler on iplayer, and absolutely loved it. But I have to admit I'm a bit confused... what did the Doctor whisper to River when he was dying? Was it his name? Fishfingers and custard? Or don't we know?

Probably a daft question. :o

Comments

• Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    In my house we decided it was his real name, that'd be a nice tie in with Forest of the Dead.
  • Options
    JB220706JB220706 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    A plain and simple "tell River I love her"????
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I've just this minute finished watching Let's Kill Hitler on iplayer, and absolutely loved it. But I have to admit I'm a bit confused... what did the Doctor whisper to River when he was dying? Was it his name? Fishfingers and custard? Or don't we know?

Probably a daft question. :o

We don't know.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we don't know at this point, but it will probably be quite important down the road a bit. Melody (and she was still Melody at this point) responded with something like "I'm sure she knows" so i guess we can also speculate on who "she" is and what she "knows"
  • Options
    JB220706JB220706 Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    "I'm sure she knows" is a typical response to the "tell her I love her" line. Isn't it a known fact that River and the Doctor got married??? Wasn't that from the Library episode??/
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It was a wheat field...not a corn field..."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I think it he said his name.

"my name is ...."

which would make sense for her response

"I'm sure she knows"

This 'River Song' she kept asking about, who is she? etc, she would believe that she would obviously know his name. So when the Doctor told her to tell River this, she would be like "well thats obvious, i'm sure she knows"

And it would be a perfect time for the Doctor to tell her, right before his death.

either that or that he loves her.
  • Options
    ZariusZarius Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    The whisper will be referenced again later in the season, Amy and River have a future conversation about it whilst discussing The Doctor's death
  • Options
    temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy72 wrote: »
    I think it he said his name.

"my name is ...."

which would make sense for her response

"I'm sure she knows"

This 'River Song' she kept asking about, who is she? etc, she would believe that she would obviously know his name. So when the Doctor told her to tell River this, she would be like "well thats obvious, i'm sure she knows"

And it would be a perfect time for the Doctor to tell her, right before his death.

either that or that he loves her.

This is exactly what I thought and was about to post. It makes perfect sense. What is not clear is why would he tell her his name?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    temperare wrote: »
    This is exactly what I thought and was about to post. It makes perfect sense. What is not clear is why would he tell her his name?

he told her his name because she HAD to know it, to get the Doctor to trust her (silence in the library).

He remembered that she knew, and had to tell her, whether he wanted to or not.
  • Options
    ZariusZarius Posts: 176
    Forum Member

Because The Doctor, by this point, knows it's his responsibility to keep the timeline steady and he trusts River completly by this point due to his previous encounters with her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy72 wrote: »
    he told her his name because she HAD to know it, to get the Doctor to trust her (silence in the library).

He remembered that she knew, and had to tell her, whether he wanted to or not.

I am not so sure. He also knew when and where he would die...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the name thing makes sense. I don't think Melody/River would care enough at this point in time to know what him telling her his name means.

I thought it was just a simple 'Tell River I love her' hence her asking who River Song is directly after, finding out it was her and then reviving him because of it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking that...and why would it make her become all 'ooo I want to save him now'?? I mean if she thinks it's an obvious thing for River to know, then she doesn't realise how much of a big deal it is for the Doctor to tell her his name, so finding out that she is River wouldn't have had THAT much of an impact on her if his name is what he whispered....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the name thing makes sense. I don't think Melody/River would care enough at this point in time to know what him telling her his name means.

I thought it was just a simple 'Tell River I love her' hence her asking who River Song is directly after, finding out it was her and then reviving him because of it

OK, you're way of putting it makes SO much more sense than mine!!!! :D
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm gagging for a dump but I can't get up" :p
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    If he only told her his name - nothing else - she'd have no reason to think there was anything even remotely important about it. He'd have to have said something that had meaning to her - not to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    "I'm gagging for a dump but I can't get up" :p

I actually laughed at that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused about the fact that she doesn't know herself as River. I assumed she grew up with them forest people and was brought up as River Song as their was no Pond Melody.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it could be a word to trigger something in Melody/River. It could also be maybe him mentioning his birthday, that's it's his birthday soon. but a bad time to do so.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he only told her his name - nothing else - she'd have no reason to think there was anything even remotely important about it. He'd have to have said something that had meaning to her - not to him.

But why did she respond with a nonchelent "Well I am sure she knows that"
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Baby done a boo boo"

"I can see my house from here"

"Did I leave the oven on?"

"Visit http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183 for all your Doctor Who news, reviews and gossip" *dies*
  • Options
    SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I assumed it was a "tell her I love her" :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies :)
    Glad to hear it'll be coming up again (thank you Zarius)
    and that I'm not the only one confused. I had assumed originally that it was "Tell her I love her" also, but there are a number of possibilities out there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused about the fact that she doesn't know herself as River. I assumed she grew up with them forest people and was brought up as River Song as their was no Pond Melody.
    True, we only assumed that The Doctor went to the forest to find Melody, but that doesn't have to be so.