Options

14 years since Princess Diana died.

cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Time flies and I remember finding out the news so clearly although slightly in disbelief. I know people say "why be upset over someone you never met" but I couldn't help but feel sad.

Comments

• Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time someone told the "Daily Express" then ;)
  • Options
    Speccy128kSpeccy128k Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    Time flies and I remember finding out the news so clearly although slightly in disbelief. I know people say "why be upset over someone you never met" but I couldn't help but feel sad.

I think if we didn't see all the people crying on our tv screens, we wouldn't be doing the same.

If the masses do it, then for some odd reason, we tend to do follow.
  • Options
    Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    I didn't feel sad at all. When I heard she had died I just turned the radio off and went back to sleep. Then when I got up later I was pissed off both BBC 1 and BBC2 where ruined.

If she was alive today we would have another begging royal to feed and pay for.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    About time someone told the "Daily Express" then ;)

:D...
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't feel sad at all. When I heard she had died I just turned the radio off and went back to sleep. Then when I got up later I was pissed off both BBC 1 and BBC2 where ruined.

If she was alive today we would have another begging royal to feed and pay for.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Also she was no longer "a royal" was she? So how would we be paying for her?
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many memorials to her... Apart from the stupid fountain :o
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Within about 6 hours of her death I was sick of it. 14 years of diana this, diana that. It's kind of sad that some people have nothing else to occupy their minds
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Speccy128k wrote: »
    I think if we didn't see all the people crying on our tv screens, we wouldn't be doing the same.

I started crying around 8 o'clock in the morning when nobody had cried on TV yet.

I also cried on the first anniversary of 9/11, again can't remember seeing anyone crying over it on TV.

People cry because they're upset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got a feeling this is going to turn into a similar thread to the one in Showbiz about how upset you get when celebrities die

I haven't made myself popular there

:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly 14 years ago. Yet we are still plagued with articles about what she would have looked liked, how amazing she would have found Kate etc. Her family will always remember her and should be allowed to go trhough life without being subjected to the dross that is still printed in the press about her. To me there was never anything special about her when she was alive but now she is dead its a shame that she can not RIP.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Diana die on 31st August 1997?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly 14 years ago. Yet we are still plagued with articles about what she would have looked liked, how amazing she would have found Kate etc. Her family will always remember her and should be allowed to go trhough life without being subjected to the dross that is still printed in the press about her. To me there was never anything special about her when she was alive but now she is dead its a shame that she can not RIP.

I wish they'd stick an "I agree" button on these forums
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who cares??? she's dead... get over it!
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speccy128k wrote: »

Well, all I know is - I walked into the supermarket and saw the headlines on the newstand and my legs went from under me with the shock and I was incapable of doing any shopping! Yet, as so many have said, I've no idea why it should have affected me to that degree.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't effect me at all, I wasn't a royalist, I didn't know her and I just carried on. Sure, it's a shame when anyone dies, but because I wasn't overcome grief, people saw me as evil. Amazing how many people refused to speak to me for weeks.

I got asked "Do you not feel sorry for the kids?" "what would you do if it was your mother?"

Sure, I felt sorry for the kids. If it was my mother I'd be asking why people who lived 300 miles away were buying books with pictures of her on, going on like they were her best friend and if they didn't stop they'd be getting a snooker cue through their eyeballs.

That answer didn't particularly go down well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What would someone need to do to be special in your estimations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    topp wrote: »

Or the question could be turned around "Why was she special ? "
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes...but let's not allow facts to get get in the way of either emotional promiscuity or contrived cynicism ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topp wrote: »

There are unkonwns all around the country doing special things. Mothers, grandmothers working tirelessly for good causes for no reward just for the love of a good cause. These people are equally as special as Diana ever was. I will not cry or be upset over their death, however I find myself having a lot more respect for them, than a priviledged woman in a posh frock.

There was nothing wrong with Diana but there was nothing particularily speacial about her either. She courted the press when it suited but then complained when it did not suit her agenda. i feel sorry for her family and her boys losing a mother but I certainly do not think she did anymore, or went through anymore than a lot of young mothers.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not..she died on August 31st 97.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    It's not..she died on August 31st 97.

So we can do this all agin in 3 days time :)
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we can do this all agin in 3 days time :)

Well thats a possibilty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are unkonwns all around the country doing special things. Mothers, grandmothers working tirelessly for good causes for no reward just for the love of a good cause. These people are equally as special as Diana ever was. I will not cry or be upset over their death, however I find myself having a lot more respect for them, than a priviledged woman in a posh frock.

There was nothing wrong with Diana but there was nothing particularily speacial about her either. She courted the press when it suited but then complained when it did not suit her agenda. i feel sorry for her family and her boys losing a mother but I certainly do not think she did anymore, or went through anymore than a lot of young mothers.

This is it - she did nothing more than thousands of unheralded people who did "good things"

In fact it was easier for her to do this work than it was for most "normal" people because her position allowed her to do them
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

Yes she did. The day before my Birthday....how selfish is that?:o
This discussion has been closed.