Options

Tap water versus bottled water

Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
Forum Member
✭✭✭
At the risk of sounding like a snob, I just can't bring myself to drink tap water, it's vile.

And I can actually TASTE it! lol You shouldn't be able to TASTE water! Even if you boil it before hand, it doesn't make a difference, as the heat kills anything that's good in the water.

I dare anyone to go from drinking fresh Evian everyday then switch to tap and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    i only drink tap as im not wasting money on something i already pay for, and you should be able to taste water , water has a taste, its got minerals in it for a start.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pen & Teller spring to mind.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tap water + filter jug = happy bunnies :)
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your risk has failed, you've been suckered. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tap water here tastes of fish. We Brita filter it twice, in a filter jug and then in a filter kettle and still it sometimes has a fishy taste. If it's only filtered once then by the time hot tea has cooled down, it will have that disgusting taste back. We are not even near the coast.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Bottled water companies love gullible people. ;)
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottled water is hardly ' fresh ' tbh it may have a nicer taste BUT how long has it been sitting somewhere in that plastic bottle for ?
  • Options
    Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying bottled water doesn't have bacteria in it. I'm just saying it tastes better haha (or doesn't taste, same thing)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    its doesnt though, most people have normal tasting water, some places in the uk have awful tasting water i admit but mostly its normal, so unless you live in a area like that and chose not to fliter for taste then you are being conned.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nuartey1 wrote: »
    I'm not saying bottled water doesn't have bacteria in it. I'm just saying it tastes better haha (or doesn't taste, same thing)

How old are you? how did you survive before the bottled water marketing bonanza?
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Some places around the UK do have pretty horrible tasting tap water (Cambridge is the one that leaps to mind first) but generally it's pretty good. The tap water here in Manchester tastes better than most of the bottled waters in my opinion.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can get fizzy water in bottles............you can't get that from a tap

mmm...........fizzy water
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our water comes from a natural spring, I would never buy bottled water.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Hey OP, I can taste bottled water so I don't know how you can say you can't??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember some years ago one of the papers arranging a blindfold test of various kinds of water with a panel of wine tasters, chefs, etc.

In the top 3? Chilled London tap water.
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of sounding like a snob, I just can't bring myself to drink tap water, it's vile.

And I can actually TASTE it! lol You shouldn't be able to TASTE water! Even if you boil it before hand, it doesn't make a difference, as the heat kills anything that's good in the water.

I dare anyone to go from drinking fresh Evian everyday then switch to tap and you'll see what I mean.

Anyone else?

:confused: numpty
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member

Anyone else?

Tap water in most areas contains chlorine etc to varying degees, depends where you live as to the natural hardness of the water also.

A good filter such as Britta would solve your taste issue.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can sell you some magic crystals that will make your tap water taste like bottled.

All you have to do is leave them on the fridge shelf next to it while it chills nicely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: numpty
    Unless you've sampled the water in every district of the country perhaps you are.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Just get some Dasani, then you can have tap water and bottled water at the same time.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Some places around the UK do have pretty horrible tasting tap water (Cambridge is the one that leaps to mind first) but generally it's pretty good. The tap water here in Manchester tastes better than most of the bottled waters in my opinion.

That's because it comes straight off the Pennines, pretty much. I live up in the hills, and the tap water is far better than bottled. Especially in winter, when the pipes get nice and cold so the tap water comes out almost freezing ^_^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Just get some Dasani, then you can have tap water and bottled water at the same time.

Or Peckham Spring Water. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottled water is possibly the biggest con of the 21st century.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in Buxton so I was able to go get spring water from the spring and bottle it up without having to pay for it. :D

Nowadays I don't really drink water other than in tea -- and that's tap water. I do drink flavoured water though and buy that in bottles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it was the Penn & teller programme that points out Tap water has to meet and exceed certain standards for levels of chemicals, bacteria etc. Bottled water doesn't have to meet these standards!