Options

[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Gathering' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I thought she said 'That I'm great'.

But I am half deaf.:o

That's what I thought she said too, but I was thinking of when Zaphod Beeblebrox went into the Total Perspective Vortex and found out what a really great guy he was, so that was what I was expecting her to say!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, bad and ugly and still I haven't got a clue whats going on :)

Gwen lets her father be taken without a fight after everything they went through busting him out of the camp. Doesn't sit right that especially with all the bods that were present, would have been easy to overpower the police and make a getaway.

The asian agent who committed suicide, the reveal has to explain this.

The whole Angelo thing....what was the point? Was the two episodes dedicated to this character simply to lead Jack to find the null field?

Danes....what was the point? Misdirection perhaps?

The incineration of Cat 1's, is this a planned part of the plot or the human response to the miracle?

Many other loose ends as well and only one episode to tie them up...can see them leaving most of these hanging after it's all over and that would be annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Good, bad and ugly and still I haven't got a clue whats going on :)

Gwen lets her father be taken without a fight after everything they went through busting him out of the camp. Doesn't sit right that especially with all the bods that were present, would have been easy to overpower the police and make a getaway.

The asian agent who committed suicide, the reveal has to explain this.

The whole Angelo thing....what was the point? Was the two episodes dedicated to this character simply to lead Jack to find the null field?

Danes....what was the point? Misdirection perhaps?

The incineration of Cat 1's, is this a planned part of the plot or the human response to the miracle?

Many other loose ends as well and only one episode to tie them up...can see them leaving most of these hanging after it's all over and that would be annoying.
    The Blessing shows people themselves, and Jilly was told that it drove some people to suicide, (the asian guy)
    The Angelo episodes showed us how the Miracle began, the 3 men, Jack's blood and revealed about the families.
    I think Danes is an integral part of this story, and next episode will prove that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "one person who knows who the miracle really began" - who was in no fit state to tell them, and apparently had a man commit a crime and get killed by the police in a move that his granddaughter point blank admits was 100% unnecessary.

I really disliked that episode because it was sluggish. It took us away from the narrative in order to tell a story very, very slowly. It wasn't a particularly detailed story - it could easily have been told in fifteen minutes if every scene didn't stretch on for five - and yet they dedicated an entire episode to it.

That was when I used to cut it some slack because I thought it would eventually be pretty damned relevant. The amount of disdain I'll have for it if I find out it's not will be immeasurably bigger.

I've quite liked the rest of the series. Not minded the pace, 'cause it felt like things were going on, however slowly. We were learning things and accomplishing things and putting our characters in very strained situations - good, good, good. Immortal Sins just plain took the piss.
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CanalTune wrote: »
    Sneaky Rusty. I just watching it again and on the subtitles of the injured China man he is saying the phrase 'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry'

Motif alert! Motif alert!

I can't believe I missed that! Thanks. *wipes away tear of nostalgia
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought last night's episode was excellent, and I'm truly grateful for this series of torchwood, given I'm not enjoying the other show.

Everything is being wrapped up nicely, but I'm sure there's more twists to come in the last episode.
    Will I be tempted to watch the US episode tonight......
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very awesome episode I thought. And I totally thought Jilly said "I am great" too. :p

... I was actually expecting her to jump into the abyss though [but I guess that could still happen in the finale]. :(
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Really didn't like this episode. A lot of it just didn't make sense and seemed to be there only to advance the story on (way too fast IMO). I really hope they explain the purpose of Danes, as I'm still baffled as to why he's even in the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Although I found this episode much more enjoyable to watch then the majority of this season it was still soooooo annoying!!!

I was really hoping that most of the questions would get answered in this episode, that we would find out what exactly the miracle was, who the family where, why Oswald Danes is so important etc. Then have the finale episode dedicated to them trying resolving (or not) the situation

I have to say I am so dissapointed with miracle day it is such an amazing idea and the basic story is really good its just been so over stretched and padded out and now it seems there going to stuff everything in last minute.

I'm really hoping this season can redeem itself with a fantastic ending but I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed :(:(:(
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has to be the first vagina that Captain Jack has been attracted to :p
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NellyBetty wrote: »
    Although I found this episode much more enjoyable to watch then the majority of this season it was still soooooo annoying!!!

I was really hoping that most of the questions would get answered in this episode, that we would find out what exactly the miracle was, who the family where, why Oswald Danes is so important etc. Then have the finale episode dedicated to them trying resolving (or not) the situation

I have to say I am so dissapointed with miracle day it is such an amazing idea and the basic story is really good its just been so over stretched and padded out and now it seems there going to stuff everything in last minute.

I'm really hoping this season can redeem itself with a fantastic ending but I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed :(:(:(

This how I feel as well. My main concern is that the finale will leave us with more questions than answers and not a lot will be really resolved.

I've been waiting for three or four weeks now for the series to hit a peak and it simply hasn't, and I very much doubt it will either. It just seems to be advancing at such a slow rate, much of this as a consequence of stretching it out over ten weeks.

With regards to last night's episode, I've just rewatched it, due to my telly playing up during the first half and it does come across a better episode than I initially thought and I probably would have voted it good rather than average but I stand my point I made last night that for a penultimate episode, it should have been a bit more lively and seriously wet the appetite for the final episode as has happened many times in both Doctor Who and Torchwood itself in the past.

Finger's crossed the final episode will prove to be the best of the lot. There really is no need to pad things out, there's a lot of explaining to do and issues to be resolved, let's hope the Series finishes on a high. :)
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Simon Cowell

I'm half expecting him to turn up to the Blessing to argue over which one of them is the world's biggest c*nt.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I quite enjoyed it , altho there were some massive leaps in logic , and it mainly felt like a big set-up for the finale .

also - will Gwen's dad please just die ! this storyline has been driving me up the wall , what a waste of time .
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member

The whole "Gwen and her family sideshow" has been an annoying distraction all through Series 4 while her incessant and pointless yelling became tedious many episodes ago.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    The whole "Gwen and her family sideshow" has been an annoying distraction all through Series 4 while her incessant and pointless yelling became tedious many episodes ago.

Without that 'sideshow' as you call it, they would have had to pad every episode out even further and the pace would have slowed considerably more than it is at the moment. :)
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    The line about some people killing themselves after looking at/into the Blessing doesn't bode well for Danes - but it'll be interesting to see how Jack sees himself. I'm half expecting the Blessing to wink at him ;)

They should just take John de Lancie into that cave - the Blessing would take one look at him and start questioning it's own worthiness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The line about some people killing themselves after looking at/into the Blessing doesn't bode well for Danes - but it'll be interesting to see how Jack sees himself.

As a giant severed head in a glass jar perhaps? :D
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    This is Jack Harkness we're talking about - it's much more likely that there'd be a Dong of Boe left when the rest of him has gone.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched last nights episode.

ooh, wasn't it fab!

Almost tempted to be naughty and find the last ep online after it has aired tonight. But then I have managed the whole series without resorting to that so I can wait a week.

I think we are in for a cracking finale though. I hope we are at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The line about some people killing themselves after looking at/into the Blessing doesn't bode well for Danes - but it'll be interesting to see how Jack sees himself. I'm half expecting the Blessing to wink at him ;)

They should just take John de Lancie into that cave - the Blessing would take one look at him and start questioning it's own worthiness.

doesn't something similar happen to zaphod beeblebrox ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I quite enjoyed it , altho there were some massive leaps in logic , and it mainly felt like a big set-up for the finale .

also - will Gwen's dad please just die ! this storyline has been driving me up the wall , what a waste of time .

Ahem no, he won't he can't, no one dies, that's kinda been the premise Virgil :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    Ahem no, he won't he can't, no one dies, that's kinda been the premise Virgil :D

I know , but I can hope can't I ? :p
  • Options
    SmallalSmallal Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Loved it! Especially the frying pan moment. It was nice to see Esther grow a pair and actually assert herself - up till now she's been sooo insipid and pathetic, i just wanted her to go away.

Am I the only one who thinks that Oswald might be linked to the families with the surname Danes/Costerdanes?Or have I misheard the name?

Anyhoo, thoroughly enjoyed it last night. Voted 'excellent' for the first time this series.
  • Options
    SmallalSmallal Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    That's what I thought she said too, but I was thinking of when Zaphod Beeblebrox went into the Total Perspective Vortex and found out what a really great guy he was, so that was what I was expecting her to say!

Ha, I thought of the TPV too - and said so to my 15 year old, who gave me a 'look' as if to say whaaat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else feel as if there was an entire episode missing between "End of the Road" and "The Gathering"?