Options

4 month wait for my iMac? What the hell?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,631
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I've just ordered a new iMac via the education store. I've ordered the following:

- 21.5" iMac (entry-level model, not configured)
- £50 added 2 year telephone support
- £70 HP Printer (part of the £70 off a printer offer)
- £65 gift card

Now my dispatch date is 6th January 2012 and my delivery date is 10th January 2012!!!!!! What the hell? :eek::eek: That's a shocking 4 month wait. The only thing I can think of that is slowing the order down is the printer perhaps?

I'm obviously going to call them up in the morning tomorrow, but in the mean time anyone care to shed any light? Haha I thought they were taking the **** at first, but clearly not :eek::D

Comments

• Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Apple now vet all purchases to ensure the buyer is worthy of becoming a Mac User. This process can take approximately four months, as it involves numerous background checks for suitability.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be huge numbers of people ordering at the beginning of the academic year and spending their £65 gift card.

It's a shame:
    • Users didn't think ahead and order earlier
    • Apple didn't think ahead and get more stock

"Think Different" eh?
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Have you checked the availability of the individual products you have ordered on the apple store website?

All iMacs are showing as being in stock so I don't think that is the issue. Some printers are showing as only being available in 3-4 months so I think that may well be the cause of the delay in which case I'd just select an alternative printer that is in stock if I were you
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,173
    Forum Member
    They better have them in stock when I go and buy mine, but I'll be going in store so hopefully that won't be a problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah it's all been sorted after a quick phone call. :)
    Basically they have had a huge demand for the printer I ordered, being one of the cheaper models and having relatively cheap ink as well. The system hasn't had time to update itself or something, but the printer is now in stock as my order is now 'preparing for shipment'. I was told it was nothing to worry about. wooooo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    Apple now vet all purchases to ensure the buyer is worthy of becoming a Mac User. This process can take approximately four months, as it involves numerous background checks for suitability.

ROFLMAO :D:
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and dont forget each and every Apple machine has to be blessed by steve jobs before it is allowed to be dispatched by the clergy to the congregational member
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    and dont forget each and every Apple machine has to be blessed by steve jobs before it is allowed to be dispatched by the clergy to the congregational member

You're just making stuff up, now.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't the suitability test always the case? I thought that's what the Apple logo stickers were for, to prove you'd passed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    it involves numerous background checks for suitability.
    if you are over 30, quick, get yourself a rollneck and grow a beard, preferably a little goatee.
    If you're under 30, you must get some shiny suit and pointy shoes as long as both your feet put together.
    And don't forget to bore everybody else silly about cr@pple
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're just making stuff up, now.

are you sure?? ;) check outside your house is there a few silver cars outside with men in black turtle neck jumpers inside as you may get a visit from the church of apples religious thought police :lol:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

How? Do they have an indoctrination ceremony/service to fully convert the buyer to the Cult of Mac? Oh wait that already exists in the Apple Store in the form of their training service :p Maybe the buyer has to fill out a questionnaire to prove they are worthy of owning a Mac and swear under oath never to use Windows again :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How? Do they have an indoctrination ceremony/service to fully convert the buyer to the Cult of Mac? Oh wait that already exists in the Apple Store in the form of their training service :p Maybe the buyer has to fill out a questionnaire to prove they are worthy of owning a Mac and swear under oath never to use Windows again :D
    Careful. Giving away their corporate secrets will get Apple Legal after you ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Careful. Giving away their corporate secrets will get Apple Legal after you ;)

OK I won't say any more ;) I was joking btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was joking btw.
    Nice save. Maybe you'll get away with it....this time :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice save. Maybe you'll get away with it....this time :D

I hope so :D
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was visited once by the men in black turtle neck jumpers. Turned out it was a background check on a friend of mine. Did my friend ever use a Microsoft product and did he praise it? "Yes", I answered, "but he never inhaled."
    My friend did get his Apple.
    Mind you, it was back in the Apple II days. I've heard the policy has become more stringent in recent years.
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the story...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    I was visited once by the men in black turtle neck jumpers. Turned out it was a background check on a friend of mine. Did my friend ever use a Microsoft product and did he praise it? "Yes", I answered, "but he never inhaled."
    My friend did get his Apple.
    Mind you, it was back in the Apple II days. I've heard the policy has become more stringent in recent years.

How did they know where you lived? :eek::D Did they make your friend pray to His Jobsness and The Woz before he got his Apple? :p
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does this apply to a purchase of an I-ron, planing to buy one this weekend
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did they know where you lived? :eek::D Did they make your friend pray to His Jobsness and The Woz before he got his Apple? :p

My friend listed me as one of his character references. Apparently you had to fill in a huge form with all kinds of intrusive questions.
    At the time my brother saw the men in black turtle neck jumpers at our old school, so they must have asked there too.
    There were just a couple of Sinclair ZX81's in that school at the time, so no danger of any contamination.
    My friend never divulged what he had to do to finally get his Apple II Plus. Probably too embarrassed/scared to breach contract to talk about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    My friend listed me as one of his character references. Apparently you had to fill in a huge form with all kinds of intrusive questions.
    At the time my brother saw the men in black turtle neck jumpers at our old school, so they must have asked there too.
    There were just a couple of Sinclair ZX81's in that school at the time, so no danger of any contamination.
    My friend never divulged what he had to do to finally get his Apple II Plus. Probably too embarrassed/scared to breach contract to talk about it.

I bet they even wanted to know what you had for breakfast! :eek: I'm on the lookout for the men in black turtlenecks now in case they approach my house :eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You already let them in when you bought the MacBook. That little green light next to the camera doesn't always come on you know :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You already let them in when you bought the MacBook. That little green light next to the camera doesn't always come on you know :cool:

Which green light? I thought that was the power cable :o
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I doubt they'd make you wait for everything for the sake of a printer, these things tend to be split into different shipments if that happens.