Options

[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Blood Line' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I think I heard the teensiest, tiniest few microseconds of Tardis Vworp when Rex was ripping his shirt open.
    Did I though? :confused:

Yep 100% correct 54:42 and its there no qustion wtf :D slow it down and you can instantly tell. IF no believes me check it out for yourselves I will upload a clip on you tube for tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this epsiode - and over all the series, even if it dragged on a bit. they ended things well and my Jack is still around!!! :D

MikaRimmer wrote: »
    Poor poor Esther, she was such a fantastic member of Torchwood.

I loved her by the end, sucked she died.
    Thank god Jack has rebooted! Didnt see the blood swap with Rex coming!

very glad about Jack - loved Gwen shooting him rather then offing himself. my mom looked at me like a loon when I started yelling at the TV the second Rex was shot - I hadn't thought about it till then and was swearing at RTD for it! maybe he's the one that becomes the Face of Bo and Jack is still off somewhere being amazing lol
    That was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting - thanks in no small part ot Bill Pullman - Icing on the pretty good cake.

I was dreading the final - but they did so well with it. answered questions but left enough, or created more, to make you want another series. Pullman was a freak! my mom couldn't even stand to look when he was on screen. I would have beat the crap out of him on the street...goes to show what a great actor is really is to pull off making Danes seem so real.
    petertard wrote: »
    ...into 10 episodes ? It could have been done in 5.

I would say 7 or 8...definatly some bits that could have been trimmed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    And here's something to digest the audience erosion for each episode (these are just finals and so far only cover up to episode 8)

Episode 2: -840k
    Episode 3: -260k
    Episode 4: -300k
    Episode 5: -20k
    Episode 6: -570k
    Episode 7: -120k
    Episode 8: +160k

So far in final figures it has lost audience every week but one and for the most part these aren't small drops. And it is worth mentioning that at its current ratings level Torchwood is not a major show. In fact its a pretty minor show. Having final numbers around 4.5 million when the competition on the main opposition is basically non-existent isn't great.

You make it sound as though ratings are acurate, when in truth they are simply an extrapolation of a tiny set of data from an unrepresentive demographic of the viewing audience. Ratings are no more acurate than election polls, and we have all seen how wrong they can turn out to be.

Out of interest, what is the size of the sample sample base for the ratings you listed? At best its going to be a tiny fraction of the number of people actualy watching, and frankly I have doubts that the type of 'viewer' that signs up for being a sampler is a typical viewer in any case.

The true test of any tv show is whether you enjoyed it, and that is an entirely subjective thing.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    This is one of the rare times I completely agree with RTD. When a character dies they should stay dead especially in a show where the central character is an immortal who is repeatedly killed throughout. Death should mean something.

But Esther's death - not to mention Jack's unique immortality - stopped meaning as much the moment Rex gasped back to life.

OK, there's a techno-babble, sci-fi reason for Rex now being immortal but at the end of the day, it was RTD and Co who made the ultimate decision to allow Rex to escape death - although he might not be immortal in the same way Jack is.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    korbany wrote: »
    You make it sound as though ratings are acurate,......

The true test of any tv show is whether you enjoyed it, and that is an entirely subjective thing.

You are right about the ratings being based on a small sample. It ain't a perfect system!

However while I'm glad you enjoyed it, a personal opinion isn't really a true test of a shows success. When was the last time a TV exec took that into account. The ratings are usually the first port of call these days.

Also whoever thinks the downloads will have hidden the true figures is being somewhat deluded. This series isn't some new Lost or True Blood even. Looking at a tracking site there are 1700 or so seeds for the final episode. Even if that multiplied by 100 its insignificant!

Its clearly not a flop as say Outcasts was. But it hasn't held the same audience as CoE. That's because of the poor format and standard of writing dipping. IF they could recapture CoE form I'd be delighted, because the last 3 episodes of that were the finest piece of sci fi of that type for decades.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Ratings are no more acurate than election polls

::statement rejected::

Very roughly and always imperfectly: Election polls measure what people claim they *intend to do*, TV ratings measure what people *have done*.

Aside: I wonder what folk in parallel universe #29,273 thought about CoE, where it ran weekly, expanded to the 10 episodes that "our" RTD said it could have filled. Was likely still better than this though, less power-dressing, s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g- i-t- o-u-t v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y etc.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Interesting reviews, thank you.
    Can't understand the blood from Jack making Rex immortal :confused:
    Apparently it wasn't the blood. It was the Blessing. It has an unexplained ability to control people's lifetimes. It made everyone in the world immortal in Miracle Day, and it's what made Jack and Rex immortal at the end.

(So logically Jack's immortality is now different to what Rose gave him. He and Rex should not heal. Because the Blessing doesn't seem able to confer Jack's healing ability, because it wasn't part of Miracle Day.)
    towers wrote: »
    OK, there's a techno-babble, sci-fi reason for Rex now being immortal but at the end of the day, it was RTD and Co who made the ultimate decision to allow Rex to escape death - although he might not be immortal in the same way Jack is.
    It was also the writers choice to have Charlotte shoot Rex. They could have had him survive the loss of blood at the Blessing, and then just been fine there-after, if they wanted to use the character in a future series. Having him killed and then come back to life was unnecessary.

The whole Charlotte thing seemed a bit pointless. All the other family agents blew themselves up when the time came. I don't know why - it seems quite a sacrifice, when everyone else is immortal. I kinda like her for not doing that, but since she got caught and killed in the end anyway her escape earlier lost its meaning. They could have had Rex run down by a bus instead.
    I don't see why that's inconsistent. Remember, the bad guys knew that Jack's blood had to go into the Blessing from both ends, and they thought that the supply of his blood at Buenos Aires had been destroyed in the explosion. They were entirely confident that they had nothing to fear.
    Because they were stupid and overconfident. So stupid they didn't deserve to rule the world, and it's hard to see how they got as far as they did. There was never any need to bring the good guys directly to the locations where the bad guys were most vulnerable.
    When it was revealed that Rex was full of Jack's blood, the bad guy at Buenos Aires had to come up with something quick. Shooting Rex was impossible, as that would send his blood into the Blessing. Shooting Esther didn't physically stop them, but it was at least a possibility that Rex would stop in order to save Esther. It didn't work, but it was all the bad guy could think of and not bad for a spur of the moment idea.
    His lack of options was a consequence of poor planning. But in fact he had enough guards there to simply grab Rex and prevent him releasing his blood. Simply cutting the communications link would have been a good idea - the good guy's trick only worked if the Blessing saw mortal blood at both its ends simultaneously, so Jack and Rex needed to coordinate, and it was foolish to provide them with a radio link which facilitated that. Also foolish to let Jack and Gwen use it to encourage Rex to let Esther die. As so often in this series, the plot relies on the characters being stupid.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound as though ratings are acurate, when in truth they are simply an extrapolation of a tiny set of data from an unrepresentive demographic of the viewing audience.... At best its going to be a tiny fraction of the number of people actualy watching, and frankly I have doubts that the type of 'viewer' that signs up for being a sampler is a typical viewer in any case.

You can't just 'sign up' to be one of the BARB sample households.

This is how BARB gets its sample households.

Viewing estimates are obtained from a panel of television owning households representing the viewing behaviour of the 26+ million households within the UK. The reporting panel of 5,100 homes is selected to be representative of each ITV and BBC region. The service covers viewing within private households only.

Panel homes are selected via a multi-stage, stratified and un-clustered sample design so that the panel is representative of all television households across the whole of the UK. A range of individual and household characteristics are deployed as panel controls to ensure that the panel remains representative. As estimates for the large majority of panel controls are not available from Census data it is necessary to conduct a bespoke survey (the Establishment Survey) to obtain this information.

The BARB Establishment Survey is carried out on a continuous basis and involves some 53,000 interviews per year. It is a random probability survey which means that every private residential household within the UK has a chance of being selected for interview. The survey ensures that any changes taking place in the population can be identified so that the panel can be updated and adjusted to ensure that it continues to reflect the television-owning population. In addition to being the prime source of television population information, such as the number of multi-channel homes, the BARB Establishment Survey also generates the potential recruits from which panel member homes are selected.

When a household agrees to join the panel their television sets, PVRs, VCRs etc. are electronically monitored by a meter. Each TV in a home is connected to its own meter which holds an electronic record for the set

http://www.barb.co.uk/about/faq
  • Options
    sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it to an extent. I didn't like the way it jump from Esther saved to suddenly gone, I felt there wasn't proper closure for the character.

I also feel that the bad guys were far too vague and too much story was crammed into the later half with the middle of the series being quite barren and empty.

Overall I did stick with it and I enjoyed it.

However, I really, really , REALLY hated the "What what what" line. It was a call back to every darned Tennant Doctor who finale and really wasn't needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I heard the teensiest, tiniest few microseconds of Tardis Vworp when Rex was ripping his shirt open.
    Did I though? :confused:
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Yep 100% correct 54:42 and its there no qustion wtf :D slow it down and you can instantly tell. IF no believes me check it out for yourselves I will upload a clip on you tube for tomorrow.

Hi Lorelei and jjesso123 :)

Just listened on i-Player.

Yep - it's there all right. :)
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

So what could this mean ???????????????????????

This can not just be a coincidence.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member

I've listened to several times and whilst it resembles the materialising sound, I think that's because they used a reversed sample to create a "sucking" sound as the wounds heal and that coincides with a the bass part of the music making the music and sound effect blend together.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Good point is all the US shows. Look how viewing figures increased when shows started being shown more nearer to us showing.
    That's not entirely true.

Glee for example has proven to be one of the most popular US imports yet E4 were airing it months after the US air date. Family Guy is one of the most popular shows on BBC3 despite the fact that it airs months after the original US airings. No Ordinary Family was surprisingly popular for Watch but they were airing it a good month or two after the US.

The truth is that Sky have seen some increase in ratings for their US imports lately but actually there's a huge number of reasons for that above and beyond the quicker turn around in airing them.
    You make it sound as though ratings are acurate, when in truth they are simply an extrapolation of a tiny set of data from an unrepresentive demographic of the viewing audience. Ratings are no more acurate than election polls, and we have all seen how wrong they can turn out to be.

Out of interest, what is the size of the sample sample base for the ratings you listed? At best its going to be a tiny fraction of the number of people actualy watching, and frankly I have doubts that the type of 'viewer' that signs up for being a sampler is a typical viewer in any case.

It is amazing that people only ever make this complaint when ratings are low. If Torchwood had been attracting 8 million viewers a week I'm sure not one person in this forum would whine that ratings weren't accurate etc.

My advice to you is to study statistics and learn how they work and then do a little research on how ratings are gathered. If having done both of those things you still think the system is inaccurate and not representative we'll talk. The system isn't perfect but it is by far and away the best system available.
    towers wrote: »
    But Esther's death - not to mention Jack's unique immortality - stopped meaning as much the moment Rex gasped back to life.
    I agree with that. That RTD is incapable of sticking to his own 'death should mean something' mantra is one of the many frustrating things about him.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, having been away recently, I have now watched it on iplayer.

Still, for me, not Torchwood; that's just me, can't explain it.
    However, a better drama than it had been, so shall vote average.

Ridiculous, in my opinion, that Charlotte had not blown herself up previously when it must have been obvious to her that others would see her name.

Personally, I don't think that Esther did die. I think that if a further series is filmed, then she may still be in it.

I think that there are still loose ends to be explained which may be one day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've listened to several times and whilst it resembles the materialising sound, I think that's because they used a reversed sample to create a "sucking" sound as the wounds heal and that coincides with a the bass part of the music making the music and sound effect blend together.

Hi Minky :)

OH said the same too. Or they've sampled it.

The music contaminates the sound and so does Rex's gasp. I wonder if anyone can isolate the sound on any good software?

I still can't get that image out of my head Minky... you know the one I'm talking about, don't you? ;):D
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    EvilRedEye wrote: »
    Most of the plot elements seemed to change completely part way through the series. Early in the series if people were put through situations in which they would normally die they remained conscious. Later on they became unconscious Category 1s. Early in the series Oswald seemed genuinely popular (for example, that rally where he ends up going on about Phi-corp being angels or something), but later the situation suddenly changes so that supposedly only the TV producers had ever liked him. Actually, what was the point of Oswald full-stop?

Also, I think the show was hamstrung by its desire to be incredibly black-and-white. Oswald never really develops as a character because heaven forbid a paedophile murder has a storyline involving even the slightest hint of redemption. And what's that? ZOMG they're burning living people! Except they're people who would have the plug pulled on them in the mortal world and the plot has to resort to depicting administrative errors/misdeeds to make the situation appear to be immoral.

I think too many times the writers have gone "Ahh, the audience will go with it!" And maybe you can go with each individual inconsistency or flaw but they do start adding up and really affecting your perception of the quality of the show. I would like RTD to try to do one series of a show where the plotting is absolutely watertight because I think his writing would benefit enormously from the experience and it would also demonstrate to the audience that he is capable of doing such a thing.

I have to say I agree with a lot of this. There were a lot of flaws with this series.

It struck me as odd that in the first few episodes you could twist a person's head 180 degrees only for them to come running out with their head on backwards trying to catch you. Then in this episode, you twist their neck a little and they're suddenly helpless category 1's :confused:

Aside from the fact that Jack's ability should have been a product of the time vortex and nothing to do with the nature of his blood, I don't see why the Blessing's attempt to make everybody conform to the immortality in his blood would mean that he loses that immortality. Nor does it make sense that everyone should get such a half-hearted immortality where injury didn't heal. If it was trying to recreate Jack's condition in everyone they should all have healed from their wounds like Jack does.

I thought that Esther's death was gratuitous and annoying and only served to spoil my enjoyment rather than an enhance it. I really liked Esther and would much rather have seen Rex die instead.

Like others have said, if the bad guys had any sense they would have just restrained Rex and bundled him out of the room. If the CIA had any sense they would have secured everyone the moment they suspected a mole.

The whole thing was just a mess of inconsistent nonsense that would have made a much better two-parter than a 10 parter.

Disappointing :(

Regards

Julian
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I have to say I agree with a lot of this. There were a lot of flaws with this series.

It struck me as odd that in the first few episodes you could twist a person's head 180 degrees only for them to come running out with their head on backwards trying to catch you. Then in this episode, you twist their neck a little and they're suddenly helpless category 1's :confused:

Aside from the fact that Jack's ability should have been a product of the time vortex and nothing to do with the nature of his blood, I don't see why the Blessing's attempt to make everybody conform to the immortality in his blood would mean that he loses that immortality. Nor does it make sense that everyone should get such a half-hearted immortality where injury didn't heal. If it was trying to recreate Jack's condition in everyone they should all have healed from their wounds like Jack does.

I thought that Esther's death was gratuitous and annoying and only served to spoil my enjoyment rather than an enhance it. I really liked Esther and would much rather have seen Rex die instead.

Like others have said, if the bad guys had any sense they would have just restrained Rex and bundled him out of the room. If the CIA had any sense they would have secured everyone the moment they suspected a mole.

The whole thing was just a mess of inconsistent nonsense that would have made a much better two-parter than a 10 parter.

Disappointing :(

Regards

Julian
    Thank you; you explained my feelings more lucidly than I could :)
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    The majority who voted in the poll enjoyed it. :):):)
  • Options
    hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this last episode the most of the whole series, it was pacy and punchier and I was expecting the resolution to be a disappointing anti-climax but it wasn't so much :).

I liked the series but didn't love it, too many 'Americanism' traits crept in for me. The series as a whole dragged a little for me, like many others have said. It should have been a 5-7 parter. The 2nd episode on the plane was fairly pointless. The Jack-Angelo romance episode should have been 30 mins max, would have had more impact. The main point of that episode was the plot device to get Jack's blood and introduce the Families which took 5 mins!

Thought they missed a trick with the burning of the Cat 1. In reality it shouldn't have been a black or white issue and shouldn't have been handled as so. Were the TW team any better, they effectively condemned the Cat1s to death when they reversed the miracle? Of course the premis that this was a slippery slope and the families were planning on using this to control who lived and died but that slipped in right at the end. The issue of the burning of the Cat 1s was a moral dilemma akin to the situation with sacrificing the children in COE and it was asham it wasn't developed more.

And aside from Gwen, did any significant female character survive? Vera:( Esther, Charlotte, Familys woman, Major Kira;) all perished. I know some men died but I think Gwen was last woman standing. Well aside from her mother, forgot her!

Wish they hadn't killed off Vera and Q, two great characters there

I'd read the ending was contraversial but didn't find it so? What was contraversial? Esther dying, Rex's immortality? :confused: Was it contraversial in US or UK eyes? I certainly found the ending of COE more contraversial and disturbing, ironically although I think COE was infinitely superior I couldn't watch it again yet could watch MD easily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    The majority who voted in the poll enjoyed it. :):):)

I actually voted 'Good' in the poll although the more I think about it the more I wish I'd voted lower.

As an individual episode it was fast-paced, it had some good lines and TW getting the best of the bad guys for a change.

Overall, as a series, though. Once you look back at the episodes knowning what we know now, I can't help being disappointed.

I was prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe things that didn't make sense would make sense once we knew what it was about. But that didn't really happen. Ultimately I didn't find the premise very convincing, i didn't find any satisfactory explanation for some of the preceding events and Esther's death pretty much spoiled the resolution for me.

Basically, it's ok as long as you don't think about it too much :rolleyes:
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd read the ending was contraversial but didn't find it so? What was contraversial? Esther dying, Rex's immortality? .

It's just that Rex's immortality makes a mockery of RTD's 'death sticks in Torchwood' comments, as well as undermining Jack's unique status as an immortal man who's very much alone.

Gwen being kept in a protective bubble also undermines his 'anyone can die' comments. What he means is 'any of the quiet / sweet background characters can die' :p

I know what you mean about COE being difficult to rewatch, whilst MD at least would be quite easy to rewatch, even if you think it wasn't as good.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    45%+ 'excellent'?

Who votes on here?!!

I voted 'poor'. My explanatory post was on the US thread. I think I could summarise it with 'meh' (in fact I think that's pretty much all I could come up with at the time).

I'll be amazed if this gets recommissioned. One or two entertaining episodes. One very good/excellent one. The rest were rubbish imho.
  • Options
    jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    The episode reflected the series - some very good lines, a few nice scenes and good acting (Jilly and Danes) and plenty of the usual nonsense filling out the running time. Gwen and Jack were more like themselves than in several episodes which was good. The pacing of the show was again erractic and the twist with Rex was predictable as was Esther's demise (a shame as I wanted her to survive).

As many others have written at length an excellent and interesting concept was stretched too thin with too many dead end plotlines filling up what seemed to be the majority of the episodes. There was a lack of cohesion and continuity between episodes which jarred and too many gaps in logic (some where chasms tbh) which were too far for me even by Torchwood standards!

I think MD was a real missed opportunity as the concept had so much potential. If there is another series I will give the first couple of episodes a go but it will have to be better than this for me to stay the course. Overall I thought the series was average at best. I'm pretty sure that someone will edit down a three or four hour version of MD that will be pretty good!
  • Options
    ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didnt Oswald die when mortality returned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why didnt Oswald die when mortality returned?

Why should he? The chemicals they injected him with to kill him were no longer in his body.

The only people to die would be the people with mortal wounds that wouldn't be sustainable without the Blessing propping them up.

Regards

Julian