Options

Why Is Race Such An Issue?

whowhywotwhowhywot Posts: 483
Forum Member
I judge housemates on whether their interesting, entertaining,
attractive,funny, nasty, aggressive, irritating, etc,etc.
I'm not interesed in the colour of their skin or where they're from. I either like or dislike someone for the reasons i've given and nothing else.
Why does this subject always come up? :(

Comments

• Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because racism is part of life sadly.
  • Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whowhywot wrote: »
    I'm not interesed in the colour of their skin or where they're from. I either like or dislike someone for the reasons i've given and nothing else.

I've been discussing this on another thread. I don't think we should be afraid of discussing racism in relation to BB, just like we shouldn't be afraid of discussing bullying. BB is a microcosm of our society, with all it's prejudices and behaviours. You see that particularly in the way the groups interact.

My feeling is that BB is racist because it doesn't fairly reflect the number of black people in our society, and when it does include them in BB, they are portrayed to be bad or stupid. This is institutionalised racism, and many of the viewers go along with it without even consciously realising it.
  • Options
    gator8gator8 Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whowhywot wrote: »

It is brought up every year and it seems to be if a black person doesn't do well it must be about racism.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does this subject always come up?
    Because people start threads about it.

If it's not an issue why are you starting a thread about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gator8 wrote: »
    It is brought up every year and it seems to be if a black person doesn't do well it must be about racism.

yes because virtually nearly all the black hms thats why. there are exceptions to the rule of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucypher wrote: »
    BB doesn't fairly reflect the number of black people in our society, and when it does include them in BB, they are portrayed to be bad or stupid. This is institutionalised racism, and many of the viewers go along with it without even consciously realising it.

I have to agree with this. The same can be said about token gay housemates, most often portrayed as being overly camp.

I guess BB looks for extremes and stereotypes when selecting housemates.

I have to say that not all black housemates fits the stereotype, but many do seem to be rather unpleasant.

Is this a reflection of BB casting or maybe a reflection of the type of people who audition to be on the show?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucypher wrote: »
    I've been discussing this on another thread. I don't think we should be afraid of discussing racism in relation to BB, just like we shouldn't be afraid of discussing bullying. BB is a microcosm of our society, with all it's prejudices and behaviours. You see that particularly in the way the groups interact.

My feeling is that BB is racist because it doesn't fairly reflect the number of black people in our society, and when it does include them in BB, they are portrayed to be bad or stupid. This is institutionalised racism, and many of the viewers go along with it without even consciously realising it.

not all the black HMs are portrayed that way , Dean , John Tickle , Allison , Siavash etc. came across well I'd say .

and plenty of the white people are portrayed as bad or stupid too .

at least 10% of the HMs have been non-white , isn't that about right as a refelection of black people in the UK ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not all the black HMs are portrayed that way , Dean , John Tickle , Allison , Siavash etc. came across well I'd say .

and plenty of the white people are portrayed as bad or stupid too .

at least 10% of the HMs have been non-white , isn't that about right as a refelection of black people in the UK ?

siavash and john tickle were not black they were asian this thread is about black hms.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gentleguy wrote: »
    siavash and john tickle were not black they were asian this thread is about black hms.

this thread is about race .

John Tickle was asian ? are you sure ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that why you, rather bizarrely, used to pretend to be mixed race?
  • Options
    LucypherLucypher Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a thread about racism, but I used the example of black people and the way BB brother treats them and the way the public treats them.

My opinion is that there is institutionalised racism inherent in BB and in some of the viewers, and that we shouldn't be afraid to discuss the subject.
  • Options
    whowhywotwhowhywot Posts: 483
    Forum Member

That's odd because nowhere do i mention black :confused:
  • Options
    BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with this. The same can be said about token gay housemates, most often portrayed as being overly camp.

I have to say that not all black housemates fits the stereotype, but many do seem to be rather unpleasant.

Is this a reflection of BB casting or maybe a reflection of the type of people who audition to be on the show?

Many? I can only remember Charley and Alex as being truly unpleasant. Who were the other ones?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Race always becomes an issue because it can be an underlying reason of why certain people don't like someone [not saying this is the case in this series] Like the whole Basshunter noms thing. It can affect voting and some people will overlook a housemates behaviour, but give another a hard time for the exact same thing, sometimes it can be a racial, cultural religious issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's casting. They look for people to fill roles in the house mix and when they want a female b!tch 8 times out of 10 she will be a mouthy black woman.

So now people almost expect any black female HM to be b!tchy.

If a black male raises his voice he's aggressive! White males and gay males get away with a lot more in BB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi gentleguy - why was your thread taken down?
  • Options
    KewpeeKewpee Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    BB 1 Mel - bit of a flirt, no moreso than other HMs that followed, and certainly not as reviled as Sada, Caggy and Nicola....not to mention Nasty Nick.

BB2 - Dean - God of men (I am biased I admit) probably the best HM of all time.

BB3 - Alison, happy loyal and the only ex HM that has had a proper ongoing career in the media (and would not have left had Davina not given out the % of votes midway in the show, something that had not been done before, and has not since)

BB4 - Gos, should've moved about a bit more, his own fault, but otherwise a nice guy. John Tickle, very popular and a part time tv career I think.?

BB5 - Victor, well he speaks for himself, literally, and he's chunky.:D One of the best poster on here too. Universally liked as was proved in Ultimate BB, he still has 'it'. Also Achmed, very funny man. :D

BB6 - Makosi, Vanessa, Science, Derek. Science was great, and loved, he beat Maxwell (a Londoner so on his own doorstep) Science was/is loved. Vanessa wasn't hated, just a nuisance. Makosi was flakey, still is I think. Derek was awful but because he is a snob and a self serving nincompoop, not because he is black.

BB7 - That whole show was just about Pete...on the first night, when he fell down the stairs, they should've just given him the cheque there and then and saved us all 13 weeks of summer.

BB8 - Mo was well liked, and Darnell had quite a following.

BB9 - Brian Belo, he won didn't he? Charley, well she knew what she was at, she likes being noticed. Nicky unfortunately went the way of some of the other female HMs and was 'Caroled'....:eek:

BB10 - Noirin was loved, by everyone in the house, as well as out...for a while, a good HM, she made things happen.....

....and that's the point I think, I haven't mentioned every HM that I could have, just the ones that stood out for me, but I could do just the same with white HMs, some were great HMs that made things happen, some were flirts or nuisances , some were idiots, or pointless through no one's fault but there own.

I wonder if there's a tendency to make the facts fit the theory. I try not to see them as anything but HMs, I even do my best to ignore anything they did before entering the house, or anything they do when they leave. Just a few weeks entertainment is all I want, and if they can manage that then great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member

This thread is about race. John Tickle asian? That's interesting...I was always under the impression he was mixed race, and some of the previous threads about race have used him as an example of a popular black housemates...I must have read that wrong then.
  • Options
    Vauxhall NovaVauxhall Nova Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti-racism is the new religion of the left. They'd be lost without it, so they never shut up about it.
  • Options
    Steerpike242Steerpike242 Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Blimey!

Was going to make a relatively long contribution but... what Kewpee said ^^^^ above.

Brilliant post, Kewpee! :D

I don't perceive any racism in either the presentations of HMs by BB or in the voting by the public. I do perceive agendas in those who seem to bring it up again and again - it's just not borne out by what has happened.
  • Options
    p381p381 Posts: 5,936
    Forum Member
    If a black male raises his voice he's aggressive! White males and gay males get away with a lot more in BB.

But the same can be said about the Black Females.
    For example, little Sophia from BB9.
    Everybody loved her when they thought she was this little giggly thing - but the MOMENT she raised her voice....it was curtains. :rolleyes:
    Whether people want to admit to it or not, Black HM's get judged pretty harshly (especially Black females).
    It may or may not be a "conscious" thing by the viewers and voters, but that's the way i see it.
    It'll be interesting to see how Heaven fairs. But because she'll probably leave on friday :rolleyes:, we may never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Hi gentleguy - why was your thread taken down?

good question mate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDee wrote: »
    This thread is about race. John Tickle asian? That's interesting...I was always under the impression he was mixed race, and some of the previous threads about race have used him as an example of a popular black housemates...I must have read that wrong then.

aww ok maybe i remember it wrong then my mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDee wrote: »

oh my mistake i guess i remember him wrong
  • Options
    Steerpike242Steerpike242 Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    p381 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how Heaven fairs. But because she'll probably leave on friday :rolleyes:, we may never know.

Don't think Heaven can be taken as indicator of anything other than how people (HMs and public voters all) react to a slightly unhinged, distant, fairly non-contributing HM is treated.

Same as Mary the Witch. Nu-age waffle and distancing self from rest of the House = (surprise, surprise) people bond with you less and you self-select on all fronts as one to pick off.