Options

Putting The Sun on the top shelf because of inner boobies? Who do I vote for now?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
Forum Member
I usually get to feel nice and smug about supporting a political party who aren't idiots. What's up with this though?

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/news.htm#Not_So_Liberal_Democrats_6923

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid policy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I definitely won't vote for them again if I actually have to reach a little to get my newspaper.

Oh no wait a minute....I don't buy the Sun :D
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    restricting sexualised images in newspapers and general circulation magazines

1/4 of the magazines or papers probably have ads or stories which include that. Newsagents would have to double in size to make space for a longer top shelf.... And kids would still just look at it on the internet anyway. Doh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    1/4 of the magazines or papers probably have ads or stories which include that. Newsagents would have to double in size to make space for a longer top shelf.... And kids would still just look at it on the internet anyway. Doh

Better place for it

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=8&gs_id=n&xhr=t&q=incinerator&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=819&bih=433&wrapid=tljp1316641195093014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3089769758958172449&sa=X&ei=m1l6Tu7LIIPIswab6uHaDw&sqi=2&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAQ#
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the idea of the Sun being restricted to the top shelf of a newsagents...

...it shouldn't be on sale at all! :D
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mourn it if it were put out of circulation to be honest, but really, what possible harm can a child come to by looking at a pair of breasts?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    I usually get to feel nice and smug about supporting a political party who aren't idiots. What's up with this though?

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/news.htm#Not_So_Liberal_Democrats_6923

Quote:

A plan by former MP Evan Harris aims to tackle the projection of women as sex objects to children and adolescents by restricting sexualised images in newspapers and general circulation magazines to the same rules that apply to pre-watershed broadcast media.

It was a motion passed by delegates at a conference. There must be hundreds of motions at conference that never see the light of day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it's never going to happen. I'm sure I've said that before though and it did.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well thats not very liberal of them
  • Options
    Hector RivaHector Riva Posts: 2,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politicians shouldn't have a say in what a national newspaper decides on it's content. However, I think it would be a good move of The Sun to end Page 3 and replace it with a young radical, strong female columnist who debates the latest news from a female perceptive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Politicians shouldn't have a say in what a national newspaper decides on it's content. However, I think it would be a good move of The Sun to end Page 3 and replace it with a young radical, strong female columnist who debates the latest news from a female perceptive.
    Or they could, you know, just add in an extra page for that.

for what it's worth, lesbians might like page 3 too.
  • Options
    reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the reason for doing it but I'd happily vote for something that will harm the sun, I hadn't actually seen page 3 properly until recently and it annoyed me that they were using tits to encourage their agendas, if it was just tits fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or they could, you know, just add in an extra page for that.

for what it's worth, lesbians might like page 3 too.

How many lesbians have you met, or even spoken to?

Most lesbians aren't into titillation, they get sexually turned on by actions and interaction, males are turned on by physical attributes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reishun wrote: »
    I don't agree with the reason for doing it but I'd happily vote for something that will harm the sun, I hadn't actually seen page 3 properly until recently and it annoyed me that they were using tits to encourage their agendas, if it was just tits fair enough.

The Sun has some decent journalists who make good point, but to me they are overshadowed by Page 3, which turns The Sun into a 'fun read' for men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun has some decent journalists who make good point, but to me they are overshadowed by Page 3, which turns The Sun into a 'fun read' for men.

It does? Examples? Don't say J. Clarkson!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many lesbians have you met, or even spoken to?
    I don't know dude. I don't ask the sexual orientation of every person I meet.
    Most lesbians aren't into titillation, they get sexually turned on by actions and interaction, males are turned on by physical attributes.
    That's a generalisation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does? Examples? Don't say J. Clarkson!

I won't. Tom Newton Dunn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know dude. I don't ask the sexual orientation of every person I meet.

That's a generalisation.

No, the previous generalisation was out-dated and factually untrue and why I needed to correct it.

Lesbians and women in general are not into image when taking on a partner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lesbians and women in general are not into image when taking on a partner.
    This is a generalisation. That is why you said "in general".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't. Tom Newton Dunn.

Don't know him. But Trevor Kavanagh and Clarkson are enough to drop the journalistic standard below GCSE level.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think shops should put the Sun (along with Nuts and Zoo) on the top shelf. It's not really right for adults to allow children they're not the parents of to either buy, or look at, images which may not be appropriate for them.

However, debating such a trivial subject let alone proposing legislation to enforce it, is pretty rich considering the much more serious problems the country is currently facing, and the notion of state-mandated censorship of this sort of thing (which is what it is), is completely contrary to notions of freedom of expression.

Shopkeepers should be keeping inappropriate material away from children out of basic social decency, that way we all get to enjoy freedom without the state feeling compelled to encroach upon it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a generalisation. That is why you said "in general".

You like to pick up on certain words and make an issue of the word, rather than take on the whole sentence. You're nothing new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know him. But Trevor Kavanagh and Clarkson are enough to drop the journalistic standard below GCSE level.

You asked. I gave you an example. Why are you now trying to score points with:

"But but but.."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You like to pick up on certain words and make an issue of the word, rather than take on the whole sentence. You're nothing new.
    Ooh! Are you making an ironic joke? If you are it's quite clever.

Seriously read what was said. I say that lesbians *might* like page 3. The implication was not that *all* lesbians might like it, but that *some* might. You seem to have assumed I meant the latter. If there is ambiguity in something I say, please assume i intended it to be interpreted as the rational option.

Do you dispute that you made a generalisation? I agree that it is a stereotype that lesbians don't care about image, and there may be truth to it. It is also generally true that guys care more about what ladies look like. However, there are exceptions to these rules.

I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious.