Options

"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We shall wait an see if we get to enjoy the previously dropped Midsomer episodes and if STV then show the newest ones with Neil Dudgeon in the role......

I loved the way they announced - with no irony - that "STV are DELIGHTED to bring viewers Downton Abbey"

as though they had moved heaven and earth to do so.

Things have improved, drama wise, but I suspect there will be more series 'missing in action' in the coming months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    And Tam Cowan is the new host of The Hour.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although the unpleasantness with ITV is over for STV, it does seem as if the posters on here continue to want to fight last year’s battles. This week on STV the only peak hour variations are the replacement of two hours of factual/reality programmes with STV factual stuff on Tuesday night and a different Midsomer episode on Wednesday night.

"The Hour" aint much factual there! - its one of the worst programmes STV have brought out and why the hell it been recomissioned god only knows!

It maybe a "different" midsomer but thats the problem we can all say that the "battle is over" when it clearly is not

Why has STV not bothered showing the new episodes as planned with ITV? - no need to answer since they did not even show the last series!

No wonder people like myself who use to watch this channel (well I liked it under Grampian anyway) go to ITV1 or use the ITV Player instead as the channel produces crap "in place of" what ITV is putting on - heck us scots are really looking forward to "scotlands greatest album" than what ITV will be showing - STV is nothing more than a cheap station compared to ITV - STV invest more in imports than actual scottish drama (if you count taggart :rolleyes: ) what has ITV got in comparison "new" Downton Abbey" "Doc Martin" "Midsomer Murders" - I see the comparison already and glad I prefer to catch up on anything missed on ITV1 on my ps3!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No surprise there then.....Its going to be one hell of a "banter" show yet again...I wonder if they will do a "monthly" draw of "whats "off" the box" oh well at least michelle cant have her tipple now on a friday thats possibly a tuesday now! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will there be room for them both on the sofa?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    Will there be room for them both on the sofa?

nah there will be an extension added for tam cowan ... sofa bought from "reid furniture" lol
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    "The Hour" aint much factual there! - its one of the worst programmes STV have brought out and why the hell it been recomissioned god only knows!

The Hour may be poor but it only replaces a factual entertainment type show on ITV and not new drama. So its a like for like replacement- I thought the problem was that STV wasn't replacing like for like?
    It maybe a "different" midsomer but thats the problem we can all say that the "battle is over" when it clearly is not

Why has STV not bothered showing the new episodes as planned with ITV? - no need to answer since they did not even show the last series!!

It would not make sense for STV to show what ITV1 are showing if they still have unaired John Nettles Midsomers to show. It may take them some time to catch up.
    I must admit if I was them rather than air the Hour and a programme on English sextuplets instead of ITVs network factual entertainment programmes tonight, i'd show new (to Scotland) Midsomers both tonight and tomorrow to bolster ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hour may be poor but it only replaces a factual entertainment type show on ITV and not new drama. So its a like for like replacement- I thought the problem was that STV wasn't replacing like for like?

In this I would rather have Factual entertainment than listen to them gabber on "the hour" - invite celebs on and ends up being about them (in fairness nothing to do with Tam Cowan) but thats how bad the programme went and if it's on at 8pm I can see people flogging over.

It would not make sense for STV to show what ITV1 are showing if they still have unaired John Nettles Midsomers to show. It may take them some time to catch up.
    I must admit if I was them rather than air the Hour and a programme on English sextuplets instead of ITVs network factual entertainment programmes tonight, i'd show new (to Scotland) Midsomers both tonight and tomorrow to bolster ratings.

Fair enough I agree with you on that but by STV's logic they don't think like that...heck its only competition its up against tonight is BBC Scotland's "River City"

Regarding Midsomer I wouldnt be at all surprised if it has already been aired but they say "new" - guess that's STV's way for "old" programmes that are reshown is "new" - I am lucky I have the PS3 to catch up on the latest series as STV itself has became a joke. It's the channel that does make you switch off and this was a channel I liked

The other thing I laughed at was the advert for "little england" (mentioned earlier in thread) I am more surprised they could have opted out of that one possibly? - voiceover says we take a look at some of the english families "living abroad" - weird that since STV claimed or claims to be all about the "interests" of scotland :rolleyes: but the only "interests" STV are interested in is clip shows/imports there is actually nothing new about the channel - heck I wonder if STV management regret ever not showing "downton abbey" in first place...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - according to The Scotsman this evenings MM is *new* to STV viewers.....so how come I have seen it? Bit of thought and I remembered borrowing the dvd from a MM addict last year!

So, it COULD be that STV are now playing 'catch up' and we will see series 12 and 13, the final Tom Barnaby case and then all the new ones with Neil Dudgeon.

Fingers crossed. :)

Meanwhile THREE HOURS of STV's line up today conists of Midsomer Murders, a programme famously "not relevant" to viewers in Scotland" :rolleyes:

Now, I have been wondering where the decor from The Partidge Family show ended up :cool: - and then I saw it again yesterday on The Hour. I could only manage 1 minute of this shocker whilst the dvd loaded something worth looking at - but if it was bad before, it looks dreadful now.

I take it Stephen Jardine owned the original set and took it with him? The whole thing has a "Wayne's World" filmed in a garage quality about it - without the actual 'quality'.

Oh dearie me....
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Scottish Sun reports that the evening transmission of Amateur Hour is not a great success
    STV's relaunched show The Hour looked sunk on its first outing.

Viewers voted with their remotes as Michelle McManus and her new co-star Tam Cowan took to the sofa in the new 8pm prime-time slot.

But just 92,000 tuned in to the paltry offering, complete with Z-list guests, cringeworthy gags and dodgy camera shots.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up against River City in the 8-9 slot it never had a chance.

They could have had Bob Dylan, Lord Lucan and Clint Eastwood on the sofa, no one would have watched. Michelle is not up to interviewing anyone and Tam Cowan is sadly not even half as funny as he THINKS he is. :mad:

Can't even scrape 100,000 for their flag ship shows relaunch? I wonder what kind of spin they will put on that?

They usually claim their opt outs do well - let's hear it for The Hour!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to how many adverts they get during Amateur Hour over the next few weeks, that will be the big test.

Very strange programming to put it on at 2000-2100 on the one night when BBC Scotland are opted out with their own programme for the same period (football excepted). Unless Waterloo Road etc get much bigger viewing figures than River City so they would have got even less for Amateur Hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was unaware that Michelle and Cowan had 'history' - him making cheap gags at her expense, a sort of pot/kettle scenario - but I do wonder if, by teaming them up, STV bosses are hoping she will quit and they will not need to pay her redundancy - and they will then be able to sign up someone with a history of live TV like Shereen Nanjiani or Viv Lumsden? :rolleyes:

We shall see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Scottish Sun reports that the evening transmission of Amateur Hour is not a great success

Give it time STV will have the excuse it was a "great" success! :yawn: like the title also for this "Amateur" Hour its a show for "beginners" not "amateurs" :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was unaware that Michelle and Cowan had 'history' - him making cheap gags at her expense, a sort of pot/kettle scenario - but I do wonder if, by teaming them up, STV bosses are hoping she will quit and they will not need to pay her redundancy - and they will then be able to sign up someone with a history of live TV like Shereen Nanjiani or Viv Lumsden? :rolleyes:

We shall see.

Surprised STV have not thought of Lorraine Kelly to present it - oh wait that will probably be next! (already done it for their charity) - guess STV would pay her expenses on flying up from London and back and to cosy in a swanky hotel!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member

We shall see.

HA!!HA!!
    Do you honestly think presenters/actors get redundancy???
    They are booked per show & only get paid when they work. If say, The Hour is off for summer or Christmas the presenters get S.F.A!
    The days of retainers in TV are long gone!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HA!!HA!!
    Do you honestly think presenters/actors get redundancy???
    They are booked per show & only get paid when they work. If say, The Hour is off for summer or Christmas the presenters get S.F.A!
    The days of retainers in TV are long gone!!

Guess Michelle must sign on like everyone else :eek: oh well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised STV have not thought of Lorraine Kelly to present it - oh wait that will probably be next! (already done it for their charity) - guess STV would pay her expenses on flying up from London and back and to cosy in a swanky hotel!

Lorraine would have presented this - 30 years ago when she was starting out on her TV career - but no way would she return to such localised tat after a career on ITV. It is fine for McManus & Cowan - one's career has never really taken off and the other is long past his sell buy date.

But no one "on the way up" would touch this nonsense with a barge pole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    gures.

Not all ITV1 dramas are good. But to drop established series like Lewis, (we still have series 3 to see), Midsomer, Poirot - and Marple - Doc Martin, Foyle's War etc was shortsighted and incredibly stupid.
    As far as I know, STV broadcast last year's episodes of Foyle's War at the same time as the rest of the network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lorraine would have presented this - 30 years ago when she was starting out on her TV career - but no way would she return to such localised tat after a career on ITV. It is fine for McManus & Cowan - one's career has never really taken off and the other is long past his sell buy date.

But no one "on the way up" would touch this nonsense with a barge pole.

But by heck they managed to pull her in for the charity auction programming - either that or she was already working for the charity before STV's involvement

Still though it would be a laugh to see that "hello im lorraine and im michelle and this is "the hour" " :rolleyes: - oh wait lorraine already has her show after "daybreak" so obviously her money is more with ITV than STV but as you mentioned she was more than happy to blab about "downton" when it was not shown on STV - shows you where her loyality actually lies :)

regarding the careers of michelle and tam - wasnt michelle the winner of either x factor/pop idol released either 1 or 2 songs? then failed after that ... then became a DJ for Clyde 1 and now a presenter on STV --- i guess someone at STV must have been listening to Clyde at time to give her a presenting show - was she ever like that on Clyde 1?

regarding Tam I thought he presents/presented a radio show on BBC Scotland and also had a show on BBC Scotland a few years ago?

I guess would could say STV sure picks up people on "failed" careers (i can be more wrong about tam and i apologise) but come on second time surely STV could have dumped michelle and totally revamped it altogether ... seems like STV bring back a show holding onto dead wood and hoping for the best - and plus time to put it on I think it is already a sunk ship
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have missed it, Sunhill.

I know we did not get Collision or Bouquet of Barbed Wire. :mad: Part of the problem is that thanks to newspaper adverts and interviews in radio times type magazines as well as This Morning, we are all too aware of these one off dramas.

Some - many - may be rubbish, but it would be nice to have the chance to make up our own minds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After viewers have wiped the tears of laughter from their faces after watching episode 2 of the new 'grown up' The Hour, STV are offering us a programme about the identity of 60's killer Bible John.

They spend an hour - with amazingly tasteless reconstructions, according to The Scotsman - trying to link serial killer Peter Tobin to the crimes.

Presumably the final minute will be taken up by an expert telling them that THE DNA EVIDENCE RECOVERED IN THE 60'S DOES NOT MATCH PETER TOBIN

In other words, 50 minutes of "Is Tobin Bible John?" and 1 minute of

"well no, he's not"

It might have been kinder to spare the relatives of the victims a sensationalised programme to simply give them the same answer the authorities handed out months ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After viewers have wiped the tears of laughter from their faces after watching episode 2 of the new 'grown up' The Hour, STV are offering us a programme about the identity of 60's killer Bible John.

They spend an hour - with amazingly tasteless reconstructions, according to The Scotsman - trying to link serial killer Peter Tobin to the crimes.

Presumably the final minute will be taken up by an expert telling them that THE DNA EVIDENCE RECOVERED IN THE 60'S DOES NOT MATCH PETER TOBIN

In other words, 50 minutes of "Is Tobin Bible John?" and 1 minute of

"well no, he's not"

It might have been kinder to spare the relatives of the victims a sensationalised programme to simply give them the same answer the authorities handed out months ago.

plus as well its a repeat again and its not NEW for autumn! - Heck I rather watch "the body farm" on BBC to what they give us!

I do wonder if STV seeked permission from families affected that they could re-broadcast it, as I am sure some would not be happy with it being brought up again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plus as well its a repeat again and its not NEW for autumn! - Heck I rather watch "the body farm" on BBC to what they give us!

I do wonder if STV seeked permission from families affected that they could re-broadcast it, as I am sure some would not be happy with it being brought up again?

Sadly, Kezo, family of murder victims have no rights whatever to prevent any kind of drama being made about the death of their loved one. The best they can do is agree to 'work with' the company making the film in the hope that their views will be listened to but, at the end of the day, they have no say in how their murdered relative is portrayed or even if shocking scenes are broadcast.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

What a revelation! Two couches a flatpack kitchen as the set plus the most wooden interviewing on UK TV. No wonder they have ditched it nightly and replaced it with a quiz show. One night a week is more than enough for the hour but it begs the qustion what do STV actually make these days? I am sure they would trawl out some impressive statistics about local programming but those include the NightTime thing which is nothing more than a DJ talking over some footage and captions.

STV is a disgrace as a National broadcaster. Thank goodness for the BBC without which Scotland would be greatly underserved with locally produced television content.