Options

Yet another silly Facebook change

Comments

• Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OOH. I've just read something that it might not come up if you use the https secure browsing.... nope, just checked.. still no ticker. false alarm.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not interested in top news stories.

Why couldnt they have separate buttons for your friends comments to appear first & then any companies you 'like' & want news from?

Now Ive got keep scrolling down the page just in case any friends news is stuck in the middle somewhere.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I hate it.. If i wasnt so hooked on the games, i think i would've deactivated my account years ago.

Thats basically the only reason i log into facebook nowadays anyways :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just logged onto FB after reading this thread. I mostly go on FB on my phone so I hadn't seen all these changes.

I have to say, it's a total mess!

I hate the "Top Stories" feature because now they're just in any old order. I've no idea how FB determines what makes a top story. It means I miss out of some of my friend's activity unless I specifically view their profile because it's not a "top story". I also don't understand the "See what your friends are doing now" thing on the side. It shows posts and comments they've made on profiles of people who I don't even know. It's all a bit shit now.

I've also noticed that even though my FB is completely set to friends only, when I look at it as if viewing as as Public member, my wall is totally private except for my updates about changing my profile pic. Never noticed it before. I'm guessing it's because my profile pic is public so it shows my activity regarding that.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if anybodys noticed but the Ipad or IOS version for Iphone/Ipod does not have the top news stories from last day.

So you can compare the difference. Just shows how bad the new design is they forgot to test it working in IOS despite it being a massively popular format now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petit-pois wrote: »
    Just logged onto FB after reading this thread. I mostly go on FB on my phone so I hadn't seen all these changes.

I have to say, it's a total mess!

I hate the "Top Stories" feature because now they're just in any old order. I've no idea how FB determines what makes a top story. It means I miss out of some of my friend's activity unless I specifically view their profile because it's not a "top story". I also don't understand the "See what your friends are doing now" thing on the side. It shows posts and comments they've made on profiles of people who I don't even know. It's all a bit shit now.

I've also noticed that even though my FB is completely set to friends only, when I look at it as if viewing as as Public member, my wall is totally private except for my updates about changing my profile pic. Never noticed it before. I'm guessing it's because my profile pic is public so it shows my activity regarding that.

It's no fun on 3G as you get old stories and sometimes 3G takes ages to load so you find it takes longer to read now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's no fun on 3G as you get old stories and sometimes 3G takes ages to load so you find it takes longer to read now.

I've always got the newest stories and it's instantly loaded for me. I use a BB? Don't know if that makes a difference. On my really old phone I used to get random old stories crop up.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've less than 100 friends you can always select them all as 'close friends'! The close friends link displays posts in chronological order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petit-pois wrote: »
    I've always got the newest stories and it's instantly loaded for me. I use a BB? Don't know if that makes a difference. On my really old phone I used to get random old stories crop up.

It's like that in the Facebook app for Iphone but if you load the site on Safari it won't.

I have both Ipad and Iphone so I checked looks better as it was before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D Love the colour coded guide. Makes sense. Zuckerberg allegedly stole the idea origionally, why not keep stealing ideas?
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Facebook I seem to spend more time faffing about with settings, than finding out what friends
    are doing. It is starting to become a real chore.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zuckerberg is speaking at a conference right now and has said FB will change even further in to a timeline format. Looks horrible to me from what I've seen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zuckerberg has us hooked! He knows that cutting off Facebook is like cutting off family now as so many people use it to stay in touch with family. Makes you wish you never started in the first place.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are linking up with spotify so you can listen to all the music your friends are listening to instantly. It looks pretty good but if people are finding the new layout mind boggling it's only going to get worse with all this
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep, you think the current changes are different, get a load of this:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/22/facebook-timeline-pictures/
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Facebook change has never actually led to me not having the tab open in the background all the time until now :eek: I've been looking at it on my phone instead because it still makes sense on the Android app (though it crashes when I try to look at my friends list on there).
  • Options
    SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yep, you think the current changes are different, get a load of this:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/22/facebook-timeline-pictures/

looks great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only good thing about the new design is the update bar at the side with live comments.
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    They are linking up with spotify so you can listen to all the music your friends are listening to instantly. It looks pretty good but if people are finding the new layout mind boggling it's only going to get worse with all this

i have not used spotify for months and I certainly would not link it to facebook, come to think of it I have not re-installed it on my computer when I last reinstalled the OS,

i don't see the popint, I don't want to know what my FB friends are doing every minute of the day, what they are listening to, what they are watching.

Sure if it is something good maybe, like where you go tot he pub with your friends and they ask you if you have watched so and so, but not evey thing they watch.

This scoial networking thing is getting to much, I can imagine what it will be like if we all our T.v was online. this is what they want to do with You View, tell all your friends on Facebook, twitter or any other soical network what you are watching

i have taken most of my information off facebook now, just basic stuff so the friends I have got on Facebook know who I am and that is it.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more I work with this new update, the more I hate it. It's not like old ones where it was just a matter of getting used to a new layout, or something minor like the photo editor being not so good.

If I'm seeing what my friends have commented on strangers (to me)'s statuses, or photos or posted on their walls,keep popping up in my side feed, that means everyone else is seeing what I post too. I just don't want it. I want to be able to, say, swear in a reply to one friend (where it may be suitable) or express my appreciation of a friend in a bikini and not have it instantly pop up for everyone else who knows me. I know I can change all my privacy settings (again) but it is such a pain in the arse. I don't even mind people seeing it if they hunt it out, but it is just the permanent laying it out on a plate for everyone to see that I object to.

So, all of this means that I'm just not reallly commenting on anyone's stuff and I'm sure others will slow down to. Facebook will lose it's vibrancy by doing this, rather than increase it, and it'll be the slow road downhill from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danleto wrote: »

:eek: I really don't feel the need to share all that on the internet!
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bye bye Facebook.

Hello Google Plus.

The irony of this is that they are making the changes to Facebook to make it more lke Google +!

This tickled me: http://newsthump.com/2011/09/22/fury-as-minor-change-made-to-completely-free-brilliant-thing/