Options

I know my rights......General Ignorance

Comments

• Options
    buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is, and it isn't.

If the price tag is next to the name or description of a product, then it has to be sold at that price regardless of whether it is right or not. Trading standards can be brought in, under false advertisement accusations on that one (trust me, I've seen it happen in my time in retail).
    However, if a price was simply moved around by some idiot...and the item either isn't described or named on the price tag...then yes the store can sell it at the proper price, and no complaint can be made.

actually - displaying a price is an invitation to buy, the shop can refuse to sell it to you (however if you got to the point of why they were refusing to sell, maybe racism etc)
  • Options
    Hootie19Hootie19 Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMacMan wrote: »
    I dare you to tell that to my neighbour

I have to keep reminding myself about it, when our next door neighbour, who doesn't use his garage, has two cars parked on his driveway (his own, and one he's "working on"), another parked (two wheels on the pavement :mad:) outside his house (his wife's) and then his son puts his car (two wheels on the pavement :mad:) outside our house. It irritates me to an irrational degree.

It doesn't really affect us, being a two car family, with a driveway with room for two cars on it - other than when we have visitors, or when the supermarket delivery has to be brought to our house from two doors down cos the van can't park outside our house.

But it does bug me! :D
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the price tag is next to the name or description of a product, then it has to be sold at that price regardless of whether it is right or not. Trading standards can be brought in, under false advertisement accusations

They might be committing an offence if they're displaying misleading prices, but that doesn't mean that you can insist on them selling it to you at the displayed price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the price tag is next to the name or description of a product, then it has to be sold at that price regardless of whether it is right or not. Trading standards can be brought in, under false advertisement accusations on that one (trust me, I've seen it happen in my time in retail).
    However, if a price was simply moved around by some idiot...and the item either isn't described or named on the price tag...then yes the store can sell it at the proper price, and no complaint can be made.

no - this is completely and utterly wrong, as they can simply refuse to sell it at all - and how would you know if someone had moved the prices around?? no cameras.... no proof

(however - most larger stores will sell to you if named on a price tag and in error)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hootie19 wrote: »
    I have to keep reminding myself about it, when our next door neighbour, who doesn't use his garage, has two cars parked on his driveway (his own, and one he's "working on"), another parked (two wheels on the pavement :mad:) outside his house (his wife's) and then his son puts his car (two wheels on the pavement :mad:) outside our house. It irritates me to an irrational degree.

But it does bug me! :D

isnt there some law against this? (i'm not sure) i know what you mean though

we have a driveway, and one car on it, and one car across it (as i cba to reverse in, but am not taking up any more room on the layby)

but it would bug the :mad::mad::mad: out of me too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wh666-666 wrote: »
    What are you talking about teacosy?

Try reading, it really works wonders. Does highlighting it help you?

Not when the analogy is nonsensical to begin with wh666-666.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    buffyslay wrote: »
    isnt there some law against this? (i'm not sure) i know what you mean though

we have a driveway, and one car on it, and one car across it (as i cba to reverse in, but am not taking up any more room on the layby)

but it would bug the :mad::mad::mad: out of me too

It's only illegal in London, unless it is causing another offence (e.g. obstruction).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I'm looking at this from a legal perspective. And there is no requirement to sell an item that's been wrongly priced. It's called an invitation to treat ..
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an absolute freedom of speech, despite what the haters might tell you.

I thought there is in America?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    They've not been asked permission for their images to be shown on tele, perhaps you'd like to moan about that one too. :rolleyes:

Actually it's normally in the ticket T&Cs. "Admittance is taken as acceptance of the T&Cs." Other areas will put up posters saying "Filming in the area. Please notify a member of company x if you don't wish to be included". That is because permission is required for *publishing* not for taking the photos.
    If I ever saw a photographer singling out a child in public and taking photos without permission, I would report the paedo straight away or let the public deal with them.

I've done this numerous times. Best get on the phone.
    then a strangers taking unauthorised pictures of strangers children is highly questionable.

Feel free to question me.

(though, baiting aside, I will normally try and get an agreement from the parent/guardian beforehand, if only a "point at the camera quizzically, wait for a nod of acceptance" type, If I see a kid jumping in puddles or chasing birds and it makes an interesting photo, and I can't immediately identify anyone to politely request permission (even though none is needed), I'll take the photo anyway.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there is in America?

It's a bit more complicated than that.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    Well I'm looking at this from a legal perspective. And there is no requirement to sell an item that's been wrongly priced. It's called an invitation to treat ..

Good ole Fisher v Bell with that bloody flick knife!

One of the first cases you ever learn if you study law :D
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »

Yes, legal authority is the case Fisher vs Bell 1961. Its usually the first thing taught in contract law.

Price tag is an invitation to treat. Customer takes item to till and at that point makes the offer to buy. If, due to modern till technology or the knowledge of the staff, they see its the wrong price, the shop is within its rights to refuse the offer to buy.

Presumably this would occur as a one off mistake, Trading Standards would only take interest if its advertised all across the shop, or on telly and in local papers with the intention of reeling in the punters on a false advertising claim, then hoping they stump up more cash now they are in the shop.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Good ole Fisher v Bell with that bloody flick knife!

One of the first cases you ever learn if you study law :D

Ahh, you beat me to it.
    It wasn't bloody was it? Surely that would be criminal law, murder or gbh.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Here's one that I'm not entirely sure of.

I recently took back an item of clothing that I bought for £4. I took it back to exchange for a smaller size and I was told it had been wrongly priced, it should have been £9 and I would be charged an extra £5. I protested that this was unfair as I would not have bought it for that price and as the item had already been sold it was not my mistake. They agreed and exchanged for the same price.

I was only ever insinuating that it was rude and unprofessional, not that it was illegal to charge me the new price. I just thought it was worth fighting my corner. But it got me thinking, whose side was the law on?
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    But it got me thinking, whose side was the law on?

Theirs. As the item was not defective they have no obligation to replace it at all. Unless the size was down to their mistake? (Mislabeled or something).

Although, if they advertise or otherwise entered into an agreement that you can replace an item for the same price then they would be legally obliged to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of what people say about the EU Court of Human Rights is dippy, even more so the one in Brussels although people sometimes say they're going to take their employer, the council, or anyone else there because they know their rights.

Citizens arrest is another subject lots of people profess to know all about but are usually talking rubbish.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Empirical wrote: »
    Theirs. As the item was not defective they have no obligation to replace it at all. Unless the size was down to their mistake? (Mislabeled or something).

Although, if they advertise or otherwise entered into an agreement that you can replace an item for the same price then they would be legally obliged to do so.

Oh, I know that first bit. (I made the same point in my own rant! :p)

I meant that once they have agreed to exchange the item, are they allowed to up the price?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an offence to display an England flag (despite what some nitwits might tell you). Where the offence might lie is how you behave when the flag is up (ie if you deliberately harass the neighbours etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    Theirs. As the item was not defective they have no obligation to replace it at all.

But in a store with a policy of exchanging items for different sizes, it's a contractual term that you'll be able to exchange.

As for the price mix-up, I would say that's the shop's problem. Price tag is invitation to treat, offer is them ringing up the price on the till, contract is formed by you agreeing to pay. Might be different if it was obviously an error e.g. an item worth £100 being sold for £1, but in that case the whole contract would be voidable so you'd be entitled to your money back.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I meant that once they have agreed to exchange the item, are they allowed to up the price?

I see, in that case Im not sure. I would suspect yes. But im not sure.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Most of what people say about the EU Court of Human Rights is dippy, even more so the one in Brussels although people sometimes say they're going to take their employer, the council, or anyone else there because they know their rights.

Citizens arrest is another subject lots of people profess to know all about but are usually talking rubbish.
    People thinking that the European Court of Human Rights is anything to do with the European Union is another common misconception :D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    People thinking that the European Court of Human Rights is anything to do with the European Union is another common misconception :D:p

That was one of the points I was making as well as 'Brussels'!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    No, if you feel it isn't worth anything you don't need to give them a penny. It's only a crime if your intention was to "do a runner". The cops aren't going to be interested if you can explain what the problem is and are prepared to give your details to the restaurant.
    Just to add something from left field.

I once went to a Restaurant in Somerset, the bill came to £19.98, the staff refused to accept my Scottish £20 note, i told them i would be leaving with or without the £20, the choice was theirs, so eventually they took it.

Question is, if had simply put it on top of the bill and walked off, would it be considered walking out without paying anything, or would it be classed as me settling the bill.

And if they had refused my payment, would i get the stuff for free as payment was refused?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Question is, if had simply put it on top of the bill and walked off, would it be considered walking out without paying anything, or would it be classed as me settling the bill.

I doubt anybody would view it as being a crime - whatever issues the restaurant might have with Scottish notes, their bank will give them value for it. Might be different if you had gone in knowing that they don't accept Scottish notes, but I still don't think the cops would be interested.
    And if they had refused my payment, would i get the stuff for free as payment was refused?

Strictly speaking no, as Scottish notes aren't legal tender. You still owe them for the meal. But nobody's going to sue you for £20, especially if you're waving a £20 note in their face.