Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the BBC realise they should be screening an empty dancefloor from 7.30pm onwards, in order to keep the Ratings Thread happy? ;)

If they promote it as a new type of reality TV show I expect there are people out there that would watch it :D
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    You can normally tell from the 5-minute breakdowns which are posted on here from time to time how much it is dragged down (normally 1m down for each ad-break).

Next week also clashes with Strictly though. We shall see.

I Think it's for a shorter period though is that correct?
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't the BBC realise they should be screening an empty dancefloor from 7.30pm onwards, in order to keep the Ratings Thread happy? ;)

Sophie Heath in yesterday's Daily Mail Weekend magazine:

"Merlin. Increasingly ludicrous scheduling now sees this fantasy adventure sneaking into pole position - surely this is classic Saturday teatime fare?"

They did that two years ago and got slated for it - probably by the Daily Mail!!!!!! Make your bloody mind up!!!!!!:mad:

:D
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Sophie Heath in yesterday's Daily Mail Weekend magazine:

"Merlin. Increasingly ludicrous scheduling now sees this fantasy adventure sneaking into pole position - surely this is classic Saturday teatime fare?"

They did that two years ago and got slated for it - probably by the Daily Mail!!!!!! Make your bloody mind up!!!!!!:mad:

:D

If they're not by the same journo, you can't really tell them to make their mind up!!!!!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting story:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a344598/john-cleese-blasts-bbc-for-terrible-comedy-scripts.html

There was some talk earlier in the year of Danny Cohen wanting to attract the biggest names in British comedy to BBC1. Looks like Cleese is one of them then.

Unfortunately, it's not going well...
    Beats me why John doesn't put pen to paper and write something of his own, instead of moaning. He's more than capable of it, as he's shown in the past, and he's presumably looking for work, otherwise he wouldn't even be reading the scripts the BBC sent him.

As for the BBC sending him a couple of "terrible" scripts, they might have been the best ones anyone had submitted. Not really the BBC's fault if no-one sends them good scripts.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,767
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    The quality of conversation in the ratings thread appears to be going downhill rather quickly. There's been some incredibly banal posts this weekend.
    With posters like Rzt going quiet and an influx of posters who wrote rubbish and ask the same questions over and over, this once enjoyable thread is pretty crap now.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Beats me why John doesn't put pen to paper and write something of his own, instead of moaning. He's more than capable of it, as he's shown in the past, and he's presumably looking for work, otherwise he wouldn't even be reading the scripts the BBC sent him.

As for the BBC sending him a couple of "terrible" scripts, they might have been the best ones anyone had submitted. Not really the BBC's fault if no-one sends them good scripts.

It's the same situation with drama...not enough quality drama on our screens, as compared to the 90's. The likes of Cracker and The Bill are no more. Comedy has really gone down the pan, and the fact that a lot of big comedies like Only Fools and 2point4 Children effectively ended in the 90's, really hurt comedy at the BBC in the early to mid noughties. We have had some sort of a resurgence with Miranda and Outnumbered, but we do need more comedy.
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how Celebrity Impossible? did the other day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    With posters like Rzt going quiet and an influex of posters who wrote rubbish and ask the same questions over and over, this once enjoyable thread is pretty crap now.

I've enjoyed reading this thread since 2009. One of the reasons I joined DS was because of the Ratings Thread.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're not by the same journo, you can't really tell them to make their mind up!!!!!

Quite right. I just said that for effect.:D

Although she knows damn well why Merlin is on as late as it is.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With posters like Rzt going quiet and an influex of posters who wrote rubbish and ask the same questions over and over, this once enjoyable thread is pretty crap now.

I've noticed a few regulars have been very quiet in the last couple of weeks, and the thread has definitely slipped because of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been wondering, seeing as Jonathan Ross isn't doing too well on ITV with 3 million despite an X Factor lead-in, would a drama work better in the post X-Factor slot, something in the mould of Casualty or an emergency drama to keep viewers hooked across the evening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With posters like Rzt going quiet and an influx of posters who wrote rubbish and ask the same questions over and over, this once enjoyable thread is pretty crap now.

Rzt is probally busy. He went quite a few weeks ago but came back. It's Zoe i am worried about he seems to have just dissappeared.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering, seeing as Jonathan Ross isn't doing too well on ITV with 3 million despite an X Factor lead-in, would a drama work better in the post X-Factor slot, something in the mould of Casualty or an emergency drama to keep viewers hooked across the evening?
    21:40 - Casualty: 4.02m (16.8%)
    22:00 - The Jonathan Ross Show: 4.19m (21.2%)

I think the answer is no, especially as Jonathan Ross is cheap and drama is expensive.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    21:40 - Casualty: 4.02m (16.8%)
    22:00 - The Jonathan Ross Show: 4.19m (21.2%)

I think the answer is no, especially as Jonathan Ross is cheap and drama is expensive.

JR can't be that cheap.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical - the first Sunday in ages where we all really want a minute by minute breakdown for Saturday night and we don't have one.

Wonder if the usual sources don't want to share it given the Strictly head to head victory last night?

Or is that a conspiracy theory too far...? ;)
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a brilliant night for BBC Two! It just shows what a superb comedy writer David Croft was for three of his shows to record figures like that so long after original broadcast. As others have said, maybe BBC Two should be looking to take the approach of airing vintage comedy across the night on Saturday's to attract a different demographic to other channels.

So what to make of The X Factor's rating? It seems churlish to criticise a figure of 10.95m but I think ITV1 would've wanted it to be at least on par with 2009 even with the clash - especially as the 2009 clash was longer. I guess if ITV put pressure on Cowell to try and boost ratings he'll simply try and reintroduce himself or Cheryl back into the show but they shouldn't be panicking yet. Unlike, maybe, TV Burp which sadly pulled in a low figure for what was the strongest show in a long time; no doubt thanks to a poor Family Fortunes lead in. Jonathan Ross performed reasonably well but Lady Gaga will always be an attraction. I can't believe I'm saying this after a 7pm-10pm primetime share of 35.2% but I think ITV1 will be disappointed.

BBC One on the other hand will no doubt be delighted. Despite the early start, Strictly Come Dancing easily crossed the 8m mark and Merlin did very well in the primetime slot. There would be no point putting Merlin in the teatime slot as the BBC would be crucified for clashing Strictly with The X Factor for even longer. Casualty did ok to get above the 4m mark and Secret Fortune held up with a reasonable rating.

Channel 5 were hurt by the competition but Big Brother did ok at 10pm to get at least above the 1m mark though it's nothing to write home about.

The Million Pound Drop Live did well at 10pm, and maybe sucked viewers away from The Xtra Factor, which did very poorly considering. Foyle's War, on the other hand, did very well but no doubt ITV would prefer the figures to be the other way around!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for double posting, but even before I see Strictly Come Dancing's rating for tonight I think they need to rethink the Results Show. What's the point of airing a recording, when people can just discover the result online? I suppose the problem is that the BBC are looking to make cuts and a recording is cheaper than getting everyone together on a Sunday as well but a live results show would rate better on a Sunday night, as The X Factor has proven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    What a brilliant night for BBC Two! It just shows what a superb comedy writer David Croft was for three of his shows to record figures like that so long after original broadcast. As others have said, maybe BBC Two should be looking to take the approach of airing vintage comedy across the night on Saturday's to attract a different demographic to other channels.

Dad's Army has done fantastic on Saturdays against TXF the last few years, regularly getting 2.5m or more. IIRC, a Christmas episode got 3m last Christmas Night against Corrie and Strictly, BBC2's top show of the day.

As others have said, last night's ratings were undoubtedly boosted a bit by the BBC2 Scotland coverage of the Scotland match. Which in turn, probably did dent both SCD and TXF/Burp north of the border.
    So what to make of The X Factor's rating? It seems chruilsih to criticise a figure of 10.95m

It got 10.44m...

Churlish is my middle name. ;)
    BBC One on the other hand will no doubt be delighted. Despite the early start, Strictly Come Dancing easily crossed the 8m mark !

It got 8.7m so did a bit better than "crossing the 8m mark" - it peaked at 9.8m.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical - the first Sunday in ages where we all really want a minute by minute breakdown for Saturday night and we don't have one.

Wonder if the usual sources don't want to share it given the Strictly head to head victory last night?

Or is that a conspiracy theory too far...? ;)
    The usual source is a Doctor Who forum. No Doctor Who last night means less ratings info.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    BBC One
    18:05 - Strictly Come Dancing
    20:05

ITV1
    19:30 - The X Factor
    22:00

Interesting statistic on the running length of the talent shows last night taken from IPlayer/ITV Player and with adverts removed for the X-Factor.

Strictly - 1hr 59 mins
    X-Factor - 1hr 56 mins

X-Factor had 16 contestants to Strictly's 14. X-Factor had 34mins of adverts in its timeslot last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for double posting, but even before I see Strictly Come Dancing's rating for tonight I think they need to rethink the Results Show. What's the point of airing a recording, when people can just discover the result online? I suppose the problem is that the BBC are looking to make cuts and a recording is cheaper than getting everyone together on a Sunday as well but a live results show would rate better on a Sunday night, as The X Factor has proven.

Particularly as Brucie doesn't do "Sundays" anyway, so it's not as if they record on Saturdays so he doesn't have to be wheeled out two nights in a row.

I think the Beeb should make more of the Sunday show, like the successful 45 minute show 3 years ago, which was getting 11m a week for a good old fashioned bit of entertainment and variety - and left ITV no option but to copycat the format for TXF - and do it live like ITV do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dad's Army has done fantastic on Saturdays against TXF the last few years, regularly getting 2.5m or more. IIRC, a Christmas episode got 3m last Christmas Night against Corrie and Strictly, BBC2's top show of the day.

GOLD has shown there is an audience out there for vintage comedy; in this age of austerity I'm surprised the BBC haven't tapped into it more. Maybe now's the time?
    As others have said, last night's ratings were undoubtedly boosted a bit by the BBC2 Scotland coverage of the Scotland match. Which in turn, probably did dent both SCD and TXF/Burp north of the border.

That's true enough - the officials will probably see a decrease for the three shows but simply getting over 1.5m will be a result for the channel considering the onslaught from BBC One and ITV1.
    It got 10.44m...

Churlish is my middle name. ;)

I could start the +1 argument by saying more people would've tuned out of Strictly early if ITV1+1 didn't exist. I would've been one of them, but I stuck with BBC One then watched TV Burp and The X Factor on time delay. ;)
    It got 8.7m so did a bit better than "crossing the 8m mark" - it peaked at 9.8m.

So we know The X Factor did not get above 9.8m in the clash with Strictly Come Dancing...I bet the schedulers are rethinking their strategy for the forthcoming weeks now. Expect The X Factor to be moved back to 8pm and moaning newspaper articles to appear if BBC One doesn't move Strictly Come Dancing as well to avoid the clash. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what to make of The X Factor's rating? It seems churlish to criticise a figure of 10.95m but I think ITV1 would've wanted it to be at least on par with 2009 even with the clash - especially as the 2009 clash was longer. I guess if ITV put pressure on Cowell to try and boost ratings he'll simply try and reintroduce himself or Cheryl back into the show but they shouldn't be panicking yet. Unlike, maybe, TV Burp which sadly pulled in a low figure for what was the strongest show in a long time; no doubt thanks to a poor Family Fortunes lead in. Jonathan Ross performed reasonably well but Lady Gaga will always be an attraction. I can't believe I'm saying this after a 7pm-10pm primetime share of 35.2% but I think ITV1 will be disappointed.

BBC One on the other hand will no doubt be delighted. Despite the early start, Strictly Come Dancing easily crossed the 8m mark and Merlin did very well in the primetime slot. There would be no point putting Merlin in the teatime slot as the BBC would be crucified for clashing Strictly with The X Factor for even longer. Casualty did ok to get above the 4m mark and Secret Fortune held up with a reasonable rating.

Channel 5 were hurt by the competition but Big Brother did ok at 10pm to get at least above the 1m mark though it's nothing to write home about.

The Million Pound Drop Live did well at 10pm, and maybe sucked viewers away from The Xtra Factor, which did very poorly considering. Foyle's War, on the other hand, did very well but no doubt ITV would prefer the figures to be the other way around!

Have Cowell and Cheryl made up yet. I Think it's more likely that we will come back then her. I Don't think ITV Have any need to panic if you inculde +1 the show hasn't fallen below 10m. I Have a feeling that this series Ratings will grow as we get into the later Live shows.

I Wonder if Countryfile will brake 7m again tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    Interesting statistic on the running length of the talent shows last night taken from IPlayer/ITV Player and with adverts removed for the X-Factor.

Strictly - 1hr 59 mins
    X-Factor - 1hr 56 mins

X-Factor had 16 contestants to Strictly's 14. X-Factor had 34mins of adverts in its timeslot last night.

Each Strictly dance is around 90 seconds...so out of that 1 hour 59 minutes, 21 of them would have been actual dance.

The two big hitters have more in common than some realise. :D
This discussion has been closed.