Options

Is Blu-Ray finally but slowly kicking in?

Comments

• Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care if it doesn't replace DVD for the masses as long as it remains available for dedicated movie fans like myself. I see the difference. When it's blown up to 9ft with my projector it has to be HD!
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Just my opinion but on any PC screen other than the smallest laptop or tablet it has to be HD as well.

A 17" monitor viewed from two feet away is equivalent to watching a 68" screen from eight feet away!
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Just my opinion but on any PC screen other than the smallest laptop or tablet it has to be HD as well.

A 17" monitor viewed from two feet away is equivalent to watching a 68" screen from eight feet away!

Yeah, a PC screen doesn't half show up flaws! I remember years ago when I first got DVD. It was a PC Creative kit from the US. I was so disappointed in the quality! It was only when I hooked the output up to my CRT did I realise how so much better it was than VHS.
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    So much for Geordielady's ramblings of the supermarkets doing away with or significantly reducing Blu Ray.:D
    My local Asda has gone nuts with its Blu Rays with more dedicated shelving units and loads of those cardboard displays dotted around the entertainment section which is almost taking over the DVD section.
    With some Blu Ray players priced at £50 instore I'm sure it's becoming hard to resist for some.

I think most of us with any knowledge of the market knew that Geordieladys posts about that subject aswell as her opinion that double and triple plays will reduce in number were nonsense.
    Bluray is on the up and up.
    Of course if you show GL any evidence to the contrary she will simply say that any worldwide figures are wrong to be used for the UK.
    To a certain extent she is right as Bluray and HD takeup in the UK is way way ahead of some other countries.
    Ads wrote: »
    Blu-ray is obviously a significant improvement on DVD, however I agree with others who say its by no means perfect. Am sure there will be an even clearer and sharper format along in a few years time.

Japan is working on a better format but Bluray is a good way toward being as good as it gets for some movie sources.
    ntscuser wrote: »

An obvious fact that Pocatello does not seem able to understand.

But then , in his world people use 32" screens for their PC monitors
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    I think most of us with any knowledge of the market knew that Geordieladys posts about that subject aswell as her opinion that double and triple plays will reduce in number were nonsense.

Well that counts you out then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really.
    We've all been amused by your "theories" for a few months on here and without exception they have all proved to be 100% incorrect.
    But don't let facts get in the way of posting your wacky comments.

You could always try some reasoned argument to counter those who disagree with you but they always have so much more to back their comments up while your views are based on the opinions of your friends and a couple of your local supermarkets
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

Or maybe big shocker your completely wrong and have been all along. I think by now DP/TP should not be being sold and replaced by SP, costing less than DVDs by your logic couple of months ago. Then there is all supermarkets who where suppose to be taking blu ray's of there shelves rather than increasing amount on the shelves. But nope we are all wrong and its going to happen one day............................. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    Not really.
    We've all been amused by your "theories" for a few months on here and without exception they have all proved to be 100% incorrect.
    But don't let facts get in the way of posting your wacky comments.

You could always try some reasoned argument to counter those who disagree with you but they always have so much more to back their comments up while your views are based on the opinions of your friends and a couple of your local supermarkets

And who is all, a few odds and ends :rolleyes:

And wasn't it you who argued play.com have always sent second class when its clear to everyone who has used them over the years that they have not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And wasn't it you who argued play.com have always sent second class when its clear to everyone who has used them over the years that they have not.

Indeed it was, and having used them since day one in 1999 when they were only selling R1 discs I know they always used second class and my rather large pile of Play jiffy bags also back thats up.
    Unfortunately the oldest invoice only goes back to 2007 but I think thats far enough back to show that it's another of your myths debunked.

Play used first class and even recorded delivery for many £18+ items up until before that but their regular £17.99 and lower items were always sent second class.

I'm not denying their deliveries are slower than they ever used to be but its nothing to do with changing to second class.
    However , they are outshone by the additional Channel Islands retailers like the dvd arms of Sainsbury ,HMV , Tesco etc who use first class but none of them have been around for anywhere near as long as Play.
    It was quite sensible for Play to use the cheapest postage when they had no real competition and what competition there was had prices always higher than Play.

They've realised this which is why they now offer a first class option aswell as next day delivery for some items

I'm finding it hard to recall any theories of yours that have ever proven to be right.

Even in the last few weeks it's been possible to browse retail sites and see the large increase in Double Play titles that are coming out - the complete opposite of what you've been banging on about for so long

As for "who is all" being a few odds and ends.
    Quite the contrary . I don't think I've seen a single person agree with any of your nonsense , but I have seen posts with a few links to official sources that show your ideas are fantasy

One example - there was a link to a dvd industry feature about the problems that pressing plants were having in keeping up with demand for Bluray but because it was a US sourced story you rubbished it - despite the fact that the reason most Blurays are region free is to allow studios to release their US pressed discs worldwide and there was even special mention of the UK where Bluray was doing especially well and it also mentioned the fact that the double/triple plays were the releases that were really driving sales away from the niche market into the mainstream
  • Options
    Forum Member

But how does that make you crazy theory's any more reliable ? As shown In my previous post none of what you've said has happened. Now are you going take the thread of topic more or actually add anything to the discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    But how does that make you crazy theory's any more reliable ? As shown In my previous post none of what you've said has happened. Now are you going take the thread of topic more or actually add anything to the discussion.

What I said would happen is now happeing even faster then I predicted, more and more single blu rays at lower prices, many new ones on amazon are now only 9-11 quid on release day. But it had to happen to tempt people into going into blu ray, cheap single plays are one of the best ways of doing this.
    Eventually DP will die out, it wont be until next year but it will happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I said would happen is now happeing even faster then I predicted, more and more single blu rays at lower prices, many new ones on amazon are now only 9-11 quid on release day. But it had to happen to tempt people into going into blu ray, cheap single plays are one of the best ways of doing this.

erm no there not. Faster ? you said it would happen this year and the previous year face it your wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    erm no there not. Faster ? you said it would happen this year and the previous year face it your wrong.

You appear to not buy many blu rays do you, online prices of single blu rays have come down a lot since the summer. Many now retail between 9-11 quid, 3 months ago they were 12-14 quid.
    I expected this price decrease to happen next year but its happened even faster then even I thought. It had to happend there was no other way for blu rays to sell in the required numbers. Blu ray player prices were lowered, that never worked so the disc prices have had to come down.

Now for my next prediction, DP/TP will be slowly phased out next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You appear to not buy many blu rays do you, online prices of single blu rays have come down a lot since the summer. Many now retail between 9-11 quid, 3 months ago they were 12-14 quid.
    I expected this price decrease to happen next year but its happened even faster then even I thought. It had to happend there was no other way for blu rays to sell in the required numbers. Blu ray player prices were lowered, that never worked so the disc prices have had to come down.

Yes I do and none of publisher who publishers TP/DP have not stopped selling them like your suggesting.

Your predictions mean nothing remember last year when you said would phased out at the end of that year ? and then year before when you said it would be phased at the end of that year ?

Do you see pattern here because i do so does every single member on here discussing this. Your predictions never come true.

As long as DVD continues to dominate the market they will be sold together.

Look here at upcoming releases most TP/DP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_link_161476827_2?ie=UTF8&sort=salesrank&bbn=283926&rh=n%3A283926%2Cn%3A%21365495011%2Cn%3A%21383379011%2Cn%3A383380011%2Cp_69%3A1y-%2Cp_74%3A0-1499%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383380011&page=1&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0BN4S6C4SRNBQQ4P61HE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=256392027&pf_rd_i=293962011
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do and none of publisher who publishers TP/DP have not stopped selling them like your suggesting.

Your predictions mean nothing remember last year when you said would phased out at the end of that year ? and then year before when you said it would be phased at the end of that year ?

Do you see pattern here because i do so does every single member on here discussing this. Your predictions never come true.

As long as DVD continues to dominate the market they will be sold together.

Look here at upcoming releases most TP/DP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=amb_link_161476827_2?ie=UTF8&sort=salesrank&bbn=283926&rh=n%3A283926%2Cn%3A%21365495011%2Cn%3A%21383379011%2Cn%3A383380011%2Cp_69%3A1y-%2Cp_74%3A0-1499%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383380011&page=1&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0BN4S6C4SRNBQQ4P61HE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=256392027&pf_rd_i=293962011

What are you on about last year and year before, the discussions here have all taken place this year. I said DP/TP would fade out next year not this year, the big surprise is how quick many single blu rays have dropped in the last few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're just trolling now.
    A look through the Coming Soon section between now and Xmas shows your theory up for the bollocks that it is

You also said it would only be on kids movies.
    Not sure that Hammers Quatermass and the Pit would count as a kids film but thats a double play too.

And the BFI are currently deleting all their Bluray only releases to replace them with the double play versions that they've been releasing for a while.
    Clearly the British Film Institute are out of touch with market trends - perhaps Geordielady should let them know:rolleyes:

And they release anything except kids films
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats exactly what you were saying this time last year.
    And DP/TP have done nothing but increase since then and pre-order lists show that is continuing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you on about last year and year before, the discussions here have all taken place this year. I said DP/TP would fade out next year not this year, the big surprise is how quick many single blu rays have dropped in the last few months.

Utter drivel.
    Find the right threads and you'll see your year old comments where you were trotting the same crap out last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go.
    Same old shit from almost a year ago

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1393536&highlight=bluray+double+play

She was whinging about DC aswell .
    They've been released less too haven't they ? Not!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=47003293&postcount=142

Geordielady said in January:

I have been saying this all along but some here just dont understand it.
    You dont get something for nothing and manufacturers dont include DVD/Digital copies for nothing. The idea behind them was to generate more blu ray sales by giving the opinion that your getting a DVD for nothing but this seems to have failed judging by the amount stuck on the shelves in supermarkets.
    On christmas eve early afternoon my locals tescos (which is a 24 hour superstore type) was decimated, almost all CD's and DVD's had been bought by last minute shoppers. But the one thng they had full shelves of was chart blu rays, speaks for itself really.
    OK people buy online but supermarkets are the front line of sales as people can see what new releases there are even if they then go home and buy online. If supermarkets stop selling blu rays which on all account morrisons are considering the others may follow suit and the manufactuers may be forced to reduce prices and sell single disks of all blu rays which is what lots of people are waiting to happen before they buy a blu ray player.

We will all have to wait and see what happens this year but I have a feeling things will change regarding blu rays.

And they did change.
    Things went completely opposite to what GL said they would.

Could she be more wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porkpie, not sure about you but my year last 12 months, that other user claimed I said it last year (2010) and the year before (2009):eek:

And you call me trolling, but lets correct your drivel...

I said earlier this year that big changes will happen in the blu ray market sometime next year AKA 2012 we are not there yet so this remains in limbo for now.
    I also said cheaper single plays and the phazing out of DP/TP would happen in this period. As it stands we now are getting cheaper SP actually a lot earlier then even I predicted:p
    So lets get my prediction right shall we, sometime next year DP/TP will start to be phazed out and the cheap SP will be the norm, you wait and see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porkpie, not sure about you but my year last 12 months, that other user claimed I said it last year (2010) and the year before (2009):eek:

And you call me trolling, but lets correct your drivel...

I said earlier this year that big changes will happen in the blu ray market sometime next year AKA 2012 we are not there yet so this remains in limbo for now.
    I also said cheaper single plays and the phazing out of DP/TP would happen in this period. As it stands we now are getting cheaper SP actually a lot earlier then even I predicted:p
    So lets get my prediction right shall we, sometime next year DP/TP will start to be phazed out and the cheap SP will be the norm, you wait and see.

If you check out the threads I've linked too you'll see that you were posting the same stuff in 2010.
    I'm not sure why you don't understand that the hole you are in is getting deeper each time you post.
    I've posted enough links to let people see for themselves so I would advise you to not embarrass yourself any further.

In january you were predicting DP/TP being phased out.
    And all we've seen all year is a steady increase in them and the Coming Soon sections show they are on the increase even more so its not in limbo at all - you were 100% wrong

Why not admit you were wrong and stop making yourself sound like a troll?

DP/TP will continue to increase until Bluray overtakes dvd as the dominant format and its unclear whether that will ever happen even though Bluray players might overtake dvd player sales.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me personally, I won't fully convert to Bluray until laptops with Bluray players become affordable and the norm. Since I live in a house share, I watch most of my films on my laptop.

I probably will get double/triple plays for new films if they're available. I think double play is a brilliant idea.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dvds used to be £19.99!!!!!!!!!! then prices dropped

are you seriously saying because blu rays are now more affordable that it is because there not popular????

its basic business strategy to appeal to the masses, new things are always expensive but then settle into an affordable price,just looks at game consoles etc
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,255
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    I don't think it makes anyone more of a film fan if you buy a certain product. I know people who never updated from VHS (and people who don't even own TV's!) but love films just as much as me, and I bet as a DVD fan I love films just as much as you as a Blu-Ray buyer.

Our products don't define us as people. :)

It is thanks to the price of VHS in the charity shops (5-20 pence each) that I am now finally getting to see films that I had previously only heard about. Blues Brothers, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Jaws, Lord Of The Rings - and many more. I can now enjoy 2-3 fresh films per week and am really enjoying it. I do like a nice detailed print but most tapes are good enough and I can't complain. It is nice that BD is there for those who need it though - choice is a good thing.