Options

Do you dislike SKY?

Vanilla CreamsVanilla Creams Posts: 288
Forum Member
The constantly steal (out bid) great TV shows (Prison Break and LOST) so that others who can't afford SKY lose out, or then others illegally downlaod or torrent the show anyway!

All their shows on movies are soo repetative! I mean come on it has been like this since I was a teenager!

Anyone agree? :cool:

Comments

• Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I hate sky.

I always have done. Even when I was a kid!
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I like Sky.

Why? Becuase I remember only have 2, then 3 and eventually 4 channels as a kid.

And quite often, it was possible to have sport on 3 channels and a dry old doc or news programme on the other..if not sport on all channels at once.

Sky have added to the available choice.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    There are quite alot of Sky Bashers on here and it's no good arguing with them, as i have found out before.:confused::confused:
    Ian.
  • Options
    ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The constantly steal (out bid) great TV shows (Prison Break and LOST) so that others who can't afford SKY lose out, or then others illegally downlaod or torrent the show anyway!

All their shows on movies are soo repetative! I mean come on it has been like this since I was a teenager!

I love Sky. It is an amazing life saving piece of kit ever.

Steal- loool. It bids for these shows fairly. The people holding the rights to these shows can choose to go to Sky or go elsewhere.

Movies are repetitive- what are you on about?

How old are you?
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a fan of Sky, but they have had some of the shows I want to watch, Battlestar. Caprica, Lost, Hawaii Five-0.

May not like them...but sadly have to live with them, though refuse to subscribe to movies and sport, upgrade to HD, 3D or whatever the next bright idea is. It;s Sky One not Sky One HD (and my TV is not HD or HD Ready it is still a good CRT!
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, at least with Sky you do get to see these programmes, I have internet access through a dongle, my choice, but it means that "other" means would be difficult and I have to watch programmes with subtitles, I don't even know if this is possible using other means. Also, the main terrestrial channels have a habit of making the viewer wait for programmes to be aired, and then scheduling them at stupid times (Channel 5 and their current scheduling of Grey's is a prime example), scheduled currently at 4.15 am and is three series behind, in fact the DVD has been available here for over a year. Contrast that with Sky Living Loves has just finished tonight showing Series 6, Series 7 aired earlier this year on Sky Living and Series 8 will be shown (apparently) next month on Sky Living.

Sky also provide good sports coverage, both the mainstream sports and the more niche sports, I'm all but housebound at the moment and at least with Sky there is nearly always something to watch. And Sky+ has to be one of the best inventions in the world!!!!!!!

Too many on here are Sky bashers, I can understand some of the criticism, but at the end of the day, if a person wants to pay extra to watch other programming, they should not be subjected to some of the sheer abuse on here that they get. I'm very pro BBC, it makes some of the best programming in the world, but I am not blind to the faults of the BBC as some on here are.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,789
    Forum Member
    Steal- loool. It bids for these shows fairly. The people holding the rights to these shows can choose to go to Sky or go elsewhere.
    They have the un-fair advantage of being able to outbid pretty-much any other broadcaster for any content they want; which is most annoying when they take something successful and popular off a FTA channel and put it behind their own Pay-wall.
    Movies are repetitive- what are you on about?
    Random example:

"I Am Number Four" is on NINE times this week.

I assume that's what he meant :)

I like the programmes they show but I don't like a lot of their business practices; as outlined above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does steal programmes from people who can't afford or don't want sky.

In the cases of Lost and Prison Break, viewers who had watched season's one and two had devoted about 48 hours of their lives to each programme.

And in effect they had payed for them, by soaking up the countless advertising shown before, during and after each episode. If you suffered through those 118 ads, you certainly paid!:D

If you watched seasons one and two, you were a loyal follower who had these shows stolen from you.

Sky should never had been allowed to do that.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the Murdochs and will never buy any of their products so don't have Sky. Whenever I have been staying somewhere that has Sky I have had a look around the channels but never saw anything worth watching and ended up back on the usual channels.

I do hate the way that they have brainwashed people into thinking that all satellite TV is Sky and make them think that Sky own the satellites. The has been extended to PVRs now where many seem to think that the Sky+ box is unique to Sky rather than just a badged PVR doing the same as many others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you hate Ferrari? Because I do. I mean they make great looking and performing cars, but they insist on charging me like well loads of dosh. I mean come on this is an outrage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Yes I do hate them - they keep taking things I like watching.

They introduced me to torrents when they outbid BBC for Farscape Peacekeeper Wars. I have never watched that mini series on TV (saw first 4 on BBC2) as I also got the DVD day of release
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I hate sky.

I always have done. Even when I was a kid!

The first time I hated SKY was when they stole WWE (WWF at the time) from C4. I loved wtching that in Primary School and was a late starter to it... they took it just as I was starting to become a Jerichoholic (Chris Jericho fan)!
    How old are you?

What has that got to do with anything, try to be constructive. :)
    I am not a fan of Sky, but they have had some of the shows I want to watch, Battlestar. Caprica, Lost, Hawaii Five-0.

May not like them...but sadly have to live with them, though refuse to subscribe to movies and sport, upgrade to HD, 3D or whatever the next bright idea is. It;s Sky One not Sky One HD (and my TV is not HD or HD Ready it is still a good CRT!

I love this post 10 out of 10, the last bit made me chuckle :)
    Random example:

I like the programmes they show but I don't like a lot of their business practices; as outlined above.

Thank you DS'er, that is a perfect example of what I mean.

In the cases of Lost and Prison Break, viewers who had watched season's one and two had devoted about 48 hours of their lives to each programme.

And in effect they had payed for them, by soaking up the countless advertising shown before, during and after each episode. If you suffered through those 118 ads, you certainly paid!:D

If you watched seasons one and two, you were a loyal follower who had these shows stolen from you.

I totally agree with that, they can out bid anyone and they treated Prison Break awfully towards the end time wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time I hated SKY was when they stole WWE (WWF at the time) from C4. I loved wtching that in Primary School and was a late starter to it... they took it just as I was starting to become a Jerichoholic (Chris Jericho fan)!

What year was that?

(I only remember C4 showing wrestling in the late 90s for a very short while. As far as I know, Sky have always shown it.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What year was that?

(I only remember C4 showing wrestling in the late 90s for a very short while. As far as I know, Sky have always shown it.)

They stopped broadcasting it in 2001.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What year was that?

Channel 4 took a 4 of the PPV's and stuck adverts in them and totally botched up the live broadcast.

But you needed sky to watch raw or smackdown properly and most of the monthly events(PPV's in the USA) anyway.
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it wasn't for Sky TV would still start at 0925 and end at 0030.
    and you would never have heard of '24' / Lost / Prison Break etc

As for stealing, dodgy thing to claim in writing ! they may outbid, but that is down to the BBC and C4 etc, who think that Big Brother, Jungle, Kyle, Corrie, and all the reality shows bring in a bigger profit,
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have the un-fair advantage of being able to outbid pretty-much any other broadcaster for any content they want;

How is that unfair? They can outbid other broadcasters simply because they are subscription based - you get what you pay for, if you want the programmes they provide then you have to pay for them..
    which is most annoying when they take something successful and popular off a FTA channel and put it behind their own Pay-wall.

It may be annoying but that is the commercial world. I would like to see Sky broken up so they don't control both content and platform but even if this were done the service provider charging subscriptions will always be able to snatch up popular programmes that others can't afford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all fair enough for terrestrial channels to bid against eachother. And for satalite channels to bid against eachother.

But sky shouldn't be able to keep programmes sky only.

It prevents everyone from having access to them.

(especially shows which have had a season or two aired on terrestrial.)

Shouldn't the competition commission have stopped sky from robbing fans of shows such as Lost and Prison Break?
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stolen? Don't talk so soft ! :rolleyes: It's commercial business, people pay Sky to watch TV, Sky buy what people want, as for can't afford, to watch the package with Sky 1 it's 80p per day, odd how many who say 'can't afford' think nothing of going down the pub and spending £20 / £30 in one evening, or smoke 20 cigarettes a day.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I hate the Murdochs and will never buy any of their products so don't have Sky. Whenever I have been staying somewhere that has Sky I have had a look around the channels but never saw anything worth watching and ended up back on the usual channels.

I do hate the way that they have brainwashed people into thinking that all satellite TV is Sky and make them think that Sky own the satellites. The has been extended to PVRs now where many seem to think that the Sky+ box is unique to Sky rather than just a badged PVR doing the same as many others.

I don't think Sky have ever said they own the satellites! misconception given by the press and others, and some are gullible enough to swallow it, I also thought the Sky+ box was unique to Sky, they sort of invented it, long before all the other companies 'stole' the idea :p oops, sorry it's only Sky that 'steal' :rolleyes:.

there are not that many hotels that have full sky, they normamly just choose a few of the free options, and most hotel chains have thier own film service
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have the un-fair advantage of being able to outbid pretty-much any other broadcaster for any content they want; which is most annoying when they take something successful and popular off a FTA channel and put it behind their own Pay-wall.

Random example:

Sky have always played out their films in a way that covers most hours of the day over a given period, however since the start of premier (I think) then they are repeated same time each day, which does seem a bit of a waste. However, I can see why they do it, but does it work for TV.? In the cinema you would get the same film, same time, 7 days. Sky do the same, if you do shift work, it's OK as you may miss it one day, but catch it another, I know I have done a late shift Mon, Tues, Weds, but have caught a film that was showing that week on a Thursday or Friday.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all fair enough for terrestrial channels to bid against eachother. And for satalite channels to bid against eachother.

But sky shouldn't be able to keep programmes sky only.

It prevents everyone from having access to them.

(especially shows which have had a season or two aired on terrestrial.)

Shouldn't the competition commission have stopped sky from robbing fans of shows such as Lost and Prison Break?

What a load of tosh. Sky is a business, it is not a charity, of course by the same token, Rolls Royce should be stopped from selllig cars at such a high price, I can't afford to get one, Bollinger champagne is far too expensive, they should nto be allowed to charge so much, it's stops people buying it, and thety make too much profit ! Do you know Virgin charge over £2,000 to go to California and back, it's scandelous, stopping Mr & Mrs Joe Public from flying there, far too expensive... the list goes on, it's life, get on with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    What a load of tosh. Sky is a business, it is not a charity, of course by the same token, Rolls Royce should be stopped from selllig cars at such a high price, I can't afford to get one, Bollinger champagne is far too expensive, they should nto be allowed to charge so much, it's stops people buying it, and thety make too much profit ! Do you know Virgin charge over £2,000 to go to California and back, it's scandelous, stopping Mr & Mrs Joe Public from flying there, far too expensive... the list goes on, it's life, get on with it.

They can show what they want. And charge what they want.

They should not be allowed to stop FTA channels from showing what they want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Stolen? Don't talk so soft ! :rolleyes: It's commercial business, people pay Sky to watch TV, Sky buy what people want, as for can't afford, to watch the package with Sky 1 it's 80p per day, odd how many who say 'can't afford' think nothing of going down the pub and spending £20 / £30 in one evening, or smoke 20 cigarettes a day.
    swills wrote: »

I knew the people coming in to rush to sky's defence would be people who instantly resort to condescension, invalid, immature statements and rolly eyes.
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can show what they want. And charge what they want.

They should not be allowed to stop FTA channels from showing what they want.

BBC / ITV Channel 4 and the likes can show whatever they want, they just have to want it in the first place, if they bid enough they will get it.

It's a free market, but no doubt the commercial stations are probably thinking 'dividends for shareholders' first, then paying out money for material !

Sadly most FTA channels show dross, that is cheap to make/buy in, but still gets the advertising money in
This discussion has been closed.