Options

RIP Jimmy Savile

Comments

• Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was gutted when I heard this earlier. Good memories of him on World of Sport wrestling of which I am a big fan, and the times he ran the Great North Run.

RIP Jimmy.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Two words

unsubstantiated rumours
    Another two words - well said!

According to 'The Truthseeker' (an oxymoron if ever there was one), Edward Heath was forced to dress in a Gestapo uniform and then took us into the Common Market to avoid being exposed!

Oh, and Peter Mandelson has hopsital records in France, where he was (allegedly - by the article) treated for injuries after inserting furry animals in a place they shouldn't go!

That just shows how truthful the rumours are about Jimmy Savile, I suspect.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news.

Spent 24 hours rowing up and down Loch Faskally in Perthshire for Jimmy's Stoke Mandeville appeal.

Never had blisters like it - but worth the pain and effort.

Great fund raiser.

RIP
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MMMojo1960 wrote: »
    I loved bim so much. sorry an idiot decided to ude my Laptop.
    He is no longer in my PLace.

Oh gosh, your edit made me laugh out loud :o
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Some of those Jimmy rumours are terrible.

Imagine being in a home and Jimmy comes round, you'd think it was Christmas or something. But then he ends up doing something awful to you. :(
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    questa wrote: »
    Presumably a load of made up crap with no corroborating evidence whatsoever???

He belongs to history now; anybody can say anything they like about him.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    TheBilly wrote: »
    Some of those Jimmy rumours are terrible.

Imagine being in a home and Jimmy comes round, you'd think it was Christmas or something. But then he ends up doing something awful to you. :(
    What, like giving you a 'Jim Fixed It For Me' medal with no ribbon on it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Did your mates personally witness this dodgyness for themselves, or were they simply repeating stories that they'd been told? I have no doubt that there have been plenty of stories doing the rounds over the years, but how many of those stories have been a case of "I heard from a friend that..."? Then it emerges that Person A heard the story from Person B who heard the story from Person C who heard the story from Person D...etc.

When a famous person keeps themselves to themselves, people tend to fill in the blanks...and if that famous person is a bit odd, then it's all too easy to imagine (and believe) all sorts of things.

THIS!

Have to laugh that people are quoting the "newspaper" the s** as gospel, maybe some will now publish rumours, only because they didn't have the balls to stick to their guns while he was alive IF they thought any of it was true, for every one of the "rumours" you can find 20 facts about the good he did, i haven't a clue if any of it is true, and he was never someone i was overkeen on, but he did so much chairty work most of it without publicity that i think he deserves some respect.

The amount of Honours and recognition he has got far outways (until proved 100%) any rumours especially from anything that Murdochs rags hint at.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any truth to the rumour that dear old Sir Jimmy (R.I.P.) had a penchant for young boys? All seems like unfounded rumours to me

Louis Theroux did bring up the subject of the rumours in his famous BBC documentary and asked Saville if the reason he claimed to hate children was to try and deflect any suspicions there might be surrounding him (I think he gave a vague non-commital answer).
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Indeed. Deeply unpleasant and not one bit of credible evidence in it.

Edward Heath was forced to take the UK into the EU because he was being blackmailed over his penchant for young boys - what a load of rubbish.

There may be something unpleasant in Jimmy Savile's past - but that link proves absolutely nothing and is downright libelous about several people. Why people would be giving it any credence at all is a mystery.

100% agree, all innuendo with no credible sources.

They're nearly as bad as the 9/11 nutters.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see you go Jimmy.

My cousin still remembers his day in the studio, and has his "Jim;ll Fix It" badge on his wall.....

RIP Sir James.
  • Options
    jane2507jane2507 Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought so, they're probably only in their 30s and 40s by now.

haha dont hold back lol :D
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rip jimmy

thanks for the memories
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I have to be honest and say that he was never my favourite broadcaster. A bit too eccentric and repetitive for my liking.

However he did great things for charity, not just raising money by doing things he enjoyed such as running marathons , but actually working at hospitals and getting stuck in
  • Options
    CupidStunt2010CupidStunt2010 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Certain people in Jersey might disagree with you.
    pete137 wrote: »
    One word. Jersey !

Maybe you should do some research before talking bullsh!t
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_child_abuse_investigation_2008
    READ CAREFULLY!
  • Options
    multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Tarlular wrote: »
    Apart from the masonic handshake :o

That isn't a Masonic handshake. Peter Sutcliffe was never a Freemason nor could he ever be..
  • Options
    Silent-loveSilent-love Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard a lot of speculation, some are first hand accounts about Mr. Saviles activities throughout the years, things I shall not divulge on an internet forum.
    I personally hope it's all rubbish, but, not holding my breath.
    I shall say no more at this juncture.
    Neither can I bring myself to say say R.I.P.

I so wanted that chair as a kid, makes a lazyboy look rubbish. :)
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i woundered if there was anotherside to JS life in his PL i speak more in ref to his late mother he famously called his duchess somthinhg hes never spoke about
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly there's no doubt that Jimmy was certainly a character, and eccentric if not a little odd, but as others have said, you have to be careful when brandishing these "odd" "loner" titles about, just because they might not be good at relationships or a bit socially inept, doesn't mean they're more prone to unsavoury activity. No, these are purely my personal instincts based on how much I've read over the years, especially about those in care and the disabled. I can't shake off this inner feeling of foreboding about Jimmy. I so badly want to be proved wrong and discover that these allegations are completely unfounded. However, if it is deemed there is something worthy of investigation, then that should be allowed to happen - regardless of the fact he was held in high esteem by people in high places. I also sincerely hope that if any of the abuse allegations have an element of truth, it is made possible for those affected to have the courage to come forward and at least find some peace.
  • Options
    FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    i woundered if there was anotherside to JS life in his PL i speak more in ref to his late mother he famously called his duchess somthinhg hes never spoke about

There was a whole Louis Theroux documentary about him where he spoke a lot about his mother. He was a strange man for sure but that's not a crime.

No doubt after the initial tributes have passed there will be a lot of mud throwing from the tabloids as money-grabbers come out of the woodwork. But just remember while he was alive noone made a single allegation against him that could stand up in a court of law.
  • Options
    FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly there's no doubt that Jimmy was certainly a character, and eccentric if not a little odd, but as others have said, you have to be careful when brandishing these "odd" "loner" titles about, just because they might be a bit socially inept, it doesn't mean they're more prone to unsavoury activity. No, these are purely my personal instincts based on how much I've read over the years, especially about those in care and the disabled. I can't shake off this inner feeling of foreboding about Jimmy. I so badly want to be proved wrong and discover that these allegations are completely unfounded. However, if it is deemed there is something worthy of investigation, then that should be allowed to happen - regardless of the fact he was held in high esteem by people in high places. I also sincerely hope that if any of the abuse allegations have an element of truth, it is made possible for those affected to have the courage to come forward and at least find some peace.

You've got it the wrong way round - none of the allegations have ever been supported by a shred of proof.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FBI wrote: »
    There was a whole Louis Theroux documentary about him where he spoke a lot about his mother. He was a strange man for sure but that's not a crime.

No doubt after the initial tributes have passed there will be a lot of mud throwing from the tabloids as money-grabbers come out of the woodwork. But just remember while he was alive noone made a single allegation against him that could stand up in a court of law.

yes did see that ,even though i watch very little of LT programmes JS one stood out & had to watch with interest ,i think thats where the thought came from, but i think JS mother might of been a very ineteresting side to JS life
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got it the wrong way round - none of the allegations have ever been supported by a shred of proof.

I worry about what the tabloids will dig up (make up?) now that there is no need of proof (or truth) because I don't think the law of slander applies to people who have died.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I know is a friend of mine was a nurse at Stoke Mandeville Spinal Unit, and she absolutely adored him and had nothing but good to say about him. I had certainly heard other allegations previously about him being a bit of an old lech, but never any first-hand accounts, just rumours.He was in-your-face, and he was undoubtedly odd, not everyone was going to appreciate having him around.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member

Didn't he deny ever visiting the Jersey care home but then a photo was dug up with him on it, with some kids.