Options

RIP Jimmy Savile

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    100% agree, all innuendo with no credible sources.

They're nearly as bad as the 9/11 nutters.

That is true. There was great envy at Radio 1 toward Jimmy, in the same way that the newer breed of DJ under the management of Matthew Bannister, were toxically jealous of the fame attached to the names they had taken took over from.

Bannister specifically went on a personal mission to trample on the memories of the presenters he had sacked - his inferiority dictated that he would sort to disrespect the past to gain credibility for the new - but of course the junta change initially brought nothing but disrespect for Radio 1. The station contorted from being the poptastic heart beat of Britain into a skeleton of addicted, haunted, weak voices overnight. They brought with them; death to road shows, drugs, DJ’s boasting about getting drunk every day on air - it was a laddish invasion and the trashing of a loved and respected and highly subscribed service, utterly loved by the public. The invaders ‘threw shoes’ and made fun of the ‘old’ presenters and listeners alike. Radio 1 had been the backbone of Britain. It’s destruction marked the real onslaught of a commercial advance where values counted for little. Millions of Radio 1’s devoted followers were told to clear off and, as we now know, this was sanctioned on the demands of Richard Branson and the orders of Michael Heseltine - whose combined efforts were now to change the course of pop in Britain - leading to the eventual demise of Top Of The Pops, which playing the same music as the new Radio 1 and so too lost it’s appeal to the public. Formatted stations and limited choice were now to become entrenched in our lives by order. Advertisers would now pick Britain’s play lists as the government’s close relationship to business forced Radio 1 into a more covert and alternative role.

Jimmy Saville, in media terms, died when Top Of The Pops died. There was no way back. Britain’s media was now controlled directly or indirectly under imposition by commercial interests - interests that harboured no love of people.

On a personal level, the trouble for people like Blackburn, DLT, Bates etc, was that Jimmy Saville couldn't be bothered with them. At the Radio 1 Christmas parties, the 'names' would huddle around one another in a competitive jousting of egos, while Jimmy would sit quietly alone with most (but not all) of the DJs not talking to him - and he certainly wasn't bothering to win anyone’s approval.

When Jimmy approached the other radio ‘names’ they would often make the mistake of lurching into childish impersonations of him, which would not have felt like a terribly rewarding use of his time. Instead, the non-ego driven amongst them would go, sit and talk to Jimmy who would give them his complete attention. This now was the Jim that many failed to see.

Jim would offer no end of advice about life, his ideas of how to get ahead in broadcasting, and give incredibly realistic assessments of the world in general - on such occasions, had you been wise you would have taken a notebook. Jimmy was incredibly warm to these people and would be genuinely interested in showing acknowledgment of their lives and difficulties, in a way that the lesser 'big name radio stars' were too narcissistic to achieve.

It is so sad for people who really knew Jim well, to see BBC News, Sky News etc. today, simply interviewing other Radio 1 names to find out 'who he was'. Tony Blackburn and DLT and others, simply didn't know Jimmy. Jimmy would have reverted to being his TV persona in front of them, because they were among those who were always having a sarcastic and envious dig at him (In the Louis Theroux style of fake interest motivated by jealousy). Blackburn said on TV news 'you never got to know Jimmy' - in fact Blackburn would be that last person on earth to get to know anyone! Blackburn was really describing himself exactly.

Around the country there were many people who knew Jimmy ‘off duty’ as a warm man, I don't believe he could acknowledge a full on attachment to people, but he went out of his way to relate and share time with thoswe he found to be 'real' in a way that other celebrities were unable to be for him.

When Jimmy put on his flashy working clothes, he was a like a miner wearing the right protective gear for the hazardous job in hand. He was outperforming the others on the coal face of the entertainment industry, using techniques and approaches which he shared with his friends only - but which he would have kept back from the ego-trippers. He was never disrespectful to them but I really think he had no time for them. He was a bigger man than they - a natural self-promoter, who simply outwitted the rest because their neediness caused them to search for adoration in the eyes of all they met, whereas Jim wasn’t needy - he knew it was simply a job where being completely over the top and individual won the day - and he won by several miles. He completed his marathon run in media through full public gaze with dignity.

Rumours were often spread by those who were extremely jealous, though oddly, it was all whisper, whisper and no detail ...ever! I can’t say if there was any basis to any of this, but I do know that there were people who would never have felt that they had ‘made it’ with Jim near them - because he was so much larger than life than they!
    I would like to thank Nicky Campbell for an incredibly thoughtful and respectful tribute to Jimmy on BBC News yesterday.

God bless you Jim. May your wonderful soul, which I and many were witness too, rest in a well deserved peace.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Didn't he deny ever visiting the Jersey care home but then a photo was dug up with him on it, with some kids.

http://whycantwedrinkforever.co.uk/temp/jim.jpg that pic.....
  • Options
    Toffee GuyToffee Guy Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    He belongs to history now; anybody can say anything they like about him.

Nothing like respecting the dead though, eh?

Nobody would say/print most of these things when he was alive, because they knew he'd sue, and why would he do that?

Because none of it was true and he knew he'd win in a court of law!

Only cowards suddenly start saying the lies now, when he can't fight back and sue for these lies.

'Rest In Peace' should mean just that. Let him rest in peace.
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P Jimmy

Looking at some of the links there is no evidence to him being certain things and it astounds me that people believe such crap that the papers or blogs are prattling on about. Until it is either proven or not proven there's not much we can all say about his private life. Innocent until proven guilty.

I also agree with the poster who said about how Jimmy living alone with no partner etc isn't weird, there are probably millions of others who live alone and keep a low profile because thats how they choose to live.

I never watched Jim'll Fix It as I wasn't born then but from what I did see of him on TV he seemed quite a nice bloke who knew his stuff and did a lot of good things for people with his charity work which I believe he didn't have publicity surrounding it.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toffee Guy wrote: »

Nobody would say/print most of these things when he was alive, because they knew he'd sue, and why would he do that?

Only cowards suddenly start saying the lies now, when he can't fight back and sue for these lies.

Well, to be fair, the whole point of a cover-up is to make it as hard as possible for any victims to come forward and to receive justice. I don't know if any of the allegations are true or not but let's not pretend that it would be that easy, as we all know how sex related crimes are notoriously difficult to prove at the best of times.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does one photo mean he did anything other than one visit? The fact that there was even a suggestion of something would have been damaging regardless of the truth. The Sun have ruined so many people with suggestive reporting. That maybe why there was an injunction, it would have ruined his charity work, aside from anything else. There maybe some rumours, just like there have always been rumours about Sir Cliff Richard's homosexuality or Ted Heath's but never substantied. The fact that Truthseekers think they have the truth, means it most like is not the truth.

His charity work, his work at Broadmoor etc would have made him know to Prince Charles and to people in high places. That isn't odd, some of the "fix its" involved help from people in high places.
    The Louis Theroux interview was designed to make him look odd because SJS was a single man, he lived alone and like many famous people he was odd...I always wonder how
    Louis Theroux's life would look under a spotlight.
  • Options
    FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't he deny ever visiting the Jersey care home but then a photo was dug up with him on it, with some kids.

He said he couldn't remember visiting that home which is fair enough it was 30 years ago.

There was never any evidence he had abused any children there - I think if you had had such an encounter with Jimmy Savile you would remember it.
  • Options
    chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toffee Guy wrote: »

Um, to be honest, the only thing we do know is that he lied about something which raises questions (the reason for this was never established), so I don't see how perpetuating further untruths or making misleading statements is helpful, other than to make you feel better about yourself. If you truly understood how dangerous it was to force your own version of the truth on others, this might not be the case.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right, they donate to charities to hide other things, or so I am lead to believe.

Utter rubbish. How rude to generalize about charity workers in this way.
  • Options
    plymeverton1878plymeverton1878 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His right hand man when he ran Leeds nightclubs said he was one of the few individuals he would take death threats seriously from.

He even admitted himself that his method for dealing with "troublemakers", was to tie them up in the boiler room and beat the shit out of them when the club closed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826
    Alan Franey, former Chief Executive of Broadmoor Hospital

"I spent a lot of time with him and would say I knew him probably as well as anybody else knew him," Mr Franey told BBC 5 live.

"I spoke to him last Wednesday and asked him how he was, and he said he was feeling very tired and short of breath. Mentally, he was very alert. But he said to me: 'I'm coming to the end of the tunnel.'"

Mr Franey ran marathons with Sir Jimmy to raise money for causes including Broadmoor, Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire and Leeds General Infirmary.

"Jimmy would spend time going round the hospital [at Broadmoor] talking to staff and talking to patients, and if he could do any fundraising he would do so," he said.

"He spent a lot of his life involved in raising [money for] charity and was passionate about helping people. Jimmy had a very normal upbringing but it was a tough upbringing and he never forgot his roots. He felt that he was in a situation where he could raise funds for people using his position in showbiz and he successfully did that."

How many people can say that they care about the inmates of Broadmoor Hospital? How many can say they would give up their time to volunteer to help those imates? It's a measure of the man that Jimmy Savile did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FBI wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15507826

How many people can say that they care about the inmates of Broadmoor Hospital? How many can say they would give up their time to volunteer to help those imates? It's a measure of the man that Jimmy Savile did.

And one man's altruism may be another woman's narcissistic supply.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, he didn't. This is what was said:
    Fox Hayes, which has instructed barrister Jonathan Crystal of Cloisters, added that Savile has no connection to the events that have taken place at the Jersey children’s home and has no information that might assist the authorities.

A spokesman for the firm said: “He has no recollection of visiting the home over 30 years ago and any such visit would have been unexceptional. Connecting Sir James to events at the home has caused him severe embarrassment and upset.

“The reported events are the antithesis of everything Sir James has worked tirelessly to prevent.”

This excerpt comes from the following link:
    http://www.thelawyer.com/jimmy-savile-turns-to-fox-hayes-for-action-against-the-sun/131780.article
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chavet wrote: »
    Um, to be honest, the only thing we do know is that he lied about something which raises questions (the reason for this was never established), so I don't see how perpetuating further untruths or making misleading statements is helpful, other than to make you feel better about yourself. If you truly understood how dangerous it was to force your own version of the truth on others, this might not be the case.

What did he lie about?
  • Options
    AllexieAllexie Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Years ago I was a patient in hospital at Christmas. I was in a ward of about 20 people all too ill to go home for the holiday. For some reason we were the only ward in the hospital that didn't have a Christmas tree. On Christmas Eve the staff nurse decided to get in touch with Jimmy Savile, who was working as a porter in the hospital, to ask if he could help with getting a tree for the ward. Later that day a hyooooge tree arrived with all the trimmings, other decorations for the ward and presents for all the patients. Jimmy had got in touch with the local market traders......

Also, another time when I was visiting that same hospital, I was walking down a corridor when a young girl suddenly collapsed on the floor. There were no medical staff around but suddenly Jimmy Savile appeared and took over seeming to know just what to do til the medics appeared.

I have never forgotten his kindness but at the same time I have always found him a little creepy and I can't quite work out why!!!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    What did he lie about?

I think that's his supposed denial of visiting the Jersey kids' home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    What did he lie about?

Actually, to be fair, I'm not sure if he ever made a direct statement. It may have been another statement on his behalf that preempted the later publication of the photo and someone else's statement that suggested he had no recollection of being there. I'm unclear how you could preempt something of which you have no recollection, however.

Perhaps it's easier to have someone make statements on your behalf if your own words can lead to confusion e.g. saying that you hate children and then saying that, well, you said that because... Yes, confusing to me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His right hand man when he ran Leeds nightclubs said he was one of the few individuals he would take death threats seriously from.

He even admitted himself that his method for dealing with "troublemakers", was to tie them up in the boiler room and beat the shit out of them when the club closed.

Hmm. And yet I read that he supposedly just left them there until he was ready to come and get them. I'm assuming that this meant after the dancing session had finished. Well, that's the first thing that's got two different versions to it. I wonder what else has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Hmm. And yet I read that he supposedly just left them there until he was ready to come and get them. I'm assuming that this meant after the dancing session had finished. Well, that's the first thing that's got two different versions to it. I wonder what else has.

Suppose it could be both:

Jimmy Savile: No, I never threw anybody out. Tied 'em up, and put them down in the bloody boilerhouse until I was ready for them, at 2 o'clock in the ****ing morning. They'd plead to get out! Nobody ever got slung out of my place.

Will Yapp: Tied them up and put them in the back?

Jimmy Savile: Oh aye, yeah. Oh aye, bollocks to them, yeah. We'd tie 'em up and everybody would come back and I was the judge, jury and executioner.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Coleen Nolan thing bothered me until I watched it on the you tube link. Even at the age of 14 Coleen was a big girl, and it would have been impossible for Jimmy to put his arm round her without almost touching her inappropriately. I don't know if he was innocent or guilty but if he was going to do anything, might he have not done it on TV?
  • Options
    plymeverton1878plymeverton1878 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Exactly. We'll probably never know. In my opinion, he's a dodgy individual. But I doubt anyone will know the whole truth.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. We'll probably never know. In my opinion, he's a dodgy individual. But I doubt anyone will know the whole truth.

No, we probably won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people are going to be very disappointed when there aren't any skeletons in Jimmy Savile's cupboard.

If the rumours are true then Clarence House would have been tipped off - as it was there was a glowing tribute from the Heir to the Throne. Savile was even knighted.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people will believe any gossip just because Jimmy Savile did not conform to their way of life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FBI wrote: »
    Many people are going to be very disappointed when there aren't any skeletons in Jimmy Savile's cupboard.

If the rumours are true then Clarence House would have been tipped off - as it was there was a glowing tribute from the Heir to the Throne. Savile was even knighted.

No skeletons in his cupboard .. you have to be joking and talking of Clarence House ... for goodness sake .. I cannot believe some people are so naive.

Money buys silence .. fact