Options

RIP Jimmy Savile

Comments

• Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Some people will believe any gossip just because Jimmy Savile did not conform to their way of life.

That`s so true. Anyone who doesn`t conform to the "normal" pattern of western living tends to be viewed with suspicion (and some envy, possibly).
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There'll be a few days grace, in the national press, before they print any bad stuff-if there is any to printed.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No skeletons in his cupboard .. you have to be joking and talking of Clarence House ... for goodness sake .. I cannot believe some people are so naive.

Money buys silence .. fact

Money raised by charity also buys lots of life saving equipment, and that is a known fact as opposed to your assumed one.

Its sad really, a celeb refuses to get involved with charity they are slagged off, a female celeb gets involved with a kids charity and she is a saint, a young male celeb gets involved and he is a hero and a pin up , an older single male celeb gets involved with charities of which some include kids and actually gives time as well as just his name he is deemed to have ulterior and illegal motives .

Is it any wonder more and more men are hesitant to become invoilved in activities involving kids . What a very very nasty suspicious ungrateful world we live in.
  • Options
    FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No skeletons in his cupboard .. you have to be joking and talking of Clarence House ... for goodness sake .. I cannot believe some people are so naive.

Money buys silence .. fact

Have you got any examples of this?
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Money raised by charity also buys lots of life saving equipment, and that is a known fact as opposed to your assumed one.

Its sad really, a celeb refuses to get involved with charity they are slagged off, a female celeb gets involved with a kids charity and she is a saint, a young male celeb gets involved and he is a hero and a pin up , an older single male celeb gets involved with charities of which some include kids and actually gives time as well as just his name he is deemed to have ulterior and illegal motives .

Is it any wonder more and more men are hesitant to become invoilved in activities involving kids . What a very very nasty suspicious ungrateful world we live in.

Exactly, The besmirching of Jimmy Savile's name reminds me of the way the landlord was treated in the press after the murder of Jo Yeates. He exacted revenge in the courts. Unfortunately Jimmy Savile does not have that advantage now that he is dead.
  • Options
    I Trust in God.I Trust in God. Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no News of the World anymore to dig up the dirt. We will have to rely on the Daily Mail to see if there were any extra-curricular activities.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The implications seems to be because he was in a photograph with children at a children's home which has become notorious, he is somehow a child abuser and killer. Or was covering up. Even though it was more likely one visit, in many such visits to places with children which was part of his work, in children's TV. If there was a series of visits and photos, then it maybe they would have a story. All they had was innuendo, the very thing The Sun calls journalism which can ruin someone's life whatever the truth. They very fact that people still think that photo taken a very long time ago is proof of shows that innuendo and slight suggestion is powerful and can become fact to some people.
    He was an oddball but not many famous people raise 40 million for charity, given 90% of their income away, give up their spare time to work in hospitals or would bother to listen to patients at Broadmoor, with any kind of compassion. And he lived with his mother, so he has to be a secret child abuser right?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what sort of funeral he'll have. I can't imagine a big showbiz one, somehow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    The implications seems to be because he was in a photograph with children at a children's home which has become notorious, he is somehow a child abuser and killer. Or was covering up. Even though it was more likely one visit, in many such visits to places with children which was part of his work, in children's TV. If there was a series of visits and photos, then it maybe they would have a story. All they had was innuendo, the very thing The Sun calls journalism which can ruin someone's life whatever the truth. They very fact that people still think that photo taken a very long time ago is proof of shows that innuendo and slight suggestion is powerful and can become fact to some people.
    He was an oddball but not many famous people raise 40 million for charity, given 90% of their income away, give up their spare time to work in hospitals or would bother to listen to patients at Broadmoor, with any kind of compassion. And he lived with his mother, so he has to be a secret child abuser right?

Good post. Savile's lawyers took action against the Sun - a truly disgusting publication - because they were using innuendo and no evidence to malign his character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FBI wrote: »
    Have you got any examples of this?

There are plenty of examples if you go on the internet and I am not getting into an argument over this as you want me to do .. there are no examples as he took a permanent injunction out for the rest of his life . the examples I do have I have been in his company many times at the Flying Pizza in Leeds and also at charity do's in Leeds and I am not prepared to say at this moment in time anything else other than people are very naive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of examples if you go on the internet and I am not getting into an argument over this as you want me to do .. there are no examples as he took a permanent injunction out for the rest of his life . the examples I do have I have been in his company many times at the Flying Pizza in Leeds and also at charity do's in Leeds and I am not prepared to say at this moment in time anything else other than people are very naive.

ah yes
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear the news of Jimmy Savile's death. I did see him once as he was doing some charity run in Bracknell back in the 1980's.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His right hand man when he ran Leeds nightclubs said he was one of the few individuals he would take death threats seriously from.

He even admitted himself that his method for dealing with "troublemakers", was to tie them up in the boiler room and beat the shit out of them when the club closed.

What were the names of the clubs Jimmy ran? He was the dance hall manager for the Mecca Lorcano. There were no competition for the Mecca Dance Hall in Leeds until Pete Stringfellow came over from Manchester and opened Cinderalla Rockafellas. I think you've been taken in Jimmy's sense of fun as any 'troublemakers', if there were every any, would have been desptached quickly and deposited in the arcade by the bouncers.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been people on TV who I just don't take to at all - that is from the minute I see them. Quite literally. When I've said anything to friends or family they just say "oh you're just a boring old **** - everybody loves him" or something similar. :rolleyes:

However, time after time I've been proved right. People who made my flesh creep were Jonathan King, Michael Barrymore, Christopher Biggins, Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and a few others.

That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Louis Theroux did bring up the subject of the rumours in his famous BBC documentary and asked Saville if the reason he claimed to hate children was to try and deflect any suspicions there might be surrounding him (I think he gave a vague non-commital answer).

Funny that. If someone brought this up in an interview with me I'd make sure to address this seeing it would give me a chance to deny it publicly. What I wouldn't do is get out an injunction on the subject. But thats just me. I'm sure he had his reasons.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can add Daniel O'Donnell to that list.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no News of the World anymore to dig up the dirt. We will have to rely on the Daily Mail to see if there were any extra-curricular activities.

i would not put it past any of the newspapers if they get chance - the Mirror can be worse than the Mail, Sun, Express, Guardian, Telegraph ....
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fine Brit Eccentric, 1st "DJ", great entertainer, and tireless charity worker.

I believe he lived with mum, but had a caravan "round the back" for occasional 1 night stands ........

I remember when Arthur C Clarke was accused of paedophilia. In his case he was briefly married, then divorced, but apparently no other relationships. Papers were full of innuendo, but I don't remember any specific claims.

Seems the tabloids can't stand anyone who doesn;t conform to the usual pattern. Some people just don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There have been people on TV who I just don't take to at all - that is from the minute I see them. Quite literally. When I've said anything to friends or family they just say "oh you're just a boring old **** - everybody loves him" or something similar. :rolleyes:

However, time after time I've been proved right. People who made my flesh creep were Jonathan King, Michael Barrymore, Christopher Biggins, Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and a few others.

That's all I'm saying.

I was aware of no Biggins rumours.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've certainly seen no rumours about him.
  • Options
    WMCAWMCA Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Definitely a Radio Legend! I remember his "Under the Bedclothes Club" on Luxembourg, on I think even before Caroline came on air? Also Saville's Travels was indeed excellent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I met him and he was lovely. I also heard back in the 80s a rumour he was sh*gging Sam Fox
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More chance of him shagging a fox rather than Samantha Fox back then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me neither.

Some of these rumours hark back to the nasty homophobic days of old when if any man was a bit camp (or very camp)they were automatically accused (by the vile minded) of all kinds of other things.

In Jimmy's case, most people would agree he was unusual. An unmarried man hanging about on kids TV raised some eyebrows.The Louis Theroux documentary showed him to be odd (to say the least).

I was a child in the 70s and the rumours were going about then. But it's always been just rumours, as far as I'm aware.