Options

RIP Jimmy Savile

Comments

• Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I never forgave him, because I wrote to him in 1981 and he never fixed it for me.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I personally think JS never had relationships with anyone.

He had a relationship with 70s singer Polly Brown.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    There is no smoke without fire.

He was a bit of a non-entity anyway.

Like that if someone was to spread a rumour that said you were a serial killer then there would have to be by your own logic be some truth in it as it has been said by soemone ?
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Roman Catholic church is not the best place to get a reference from but I am sure if someone could have dug up some dirt on him then someone in the gutter press would have published it. As far as I can see here and elsewhere, everyone who had contact with him or knew him personally has only praise for him.

I don't understand why the McCanns have to brought into it unless you believe some of the garbage that those same newspapers printed about them.

Yeap he was a devout Catholic so that has to make him a suspisious character. Because all of us Catholics are dark and dangerous aren't we...He worked with the most dangerous men in the country, and he didn't marry.
    The McCann think is the idea that the Roman Catholic Church are somehow covering for them, of course it ignores that fact if they have shared anything , the Priest is bound to not repeat it. So it is a conspiracy rather than the rules of confession.....

Jim no doubt got his teaching about charity and giving to the poor from Catholic Social Teaching and his own conviction. It was because of his work he got a Papal Knighthood and a knighthood here too. That is what Knighthoods should be for, he ran marathons and raised £40 million in charity, plus he gave away 90 percent of his earnings, which still left him with alot.
    His connection with the Royal family was he meet Prince Charles on a charity event and they became friends, he just didn't talk about it. He did explain it though, it wasn't a secret either. He never exploited it.
    The Jersey comes from one photo, from a visit, which was part of his job and the fact that a website that is full of paranoid anti-semetic crap claims to have the truth, means it really is not likely. Maybe it is easier to think he was secretly dangerous, rather than someone who gave alot.
    He could be "creepy" because he had strange clothes and strange hair. Especially for a man born in the 1920s and lived through WWII.
    I have looked at the clips of him and Louis Theroux and I think JS played on being odd, I think he played Louis.
    It was strange because Louis didn't understand that Jim came from another time and big Catholic family. The comments about bringing women home, when he lived with his mother, seemed in keeping with the time, yet Louis made out that it was strange rather than that fact the Jimmy's mother was born when Queen Victoria was on the throne.
    Jimmy Savile understood the human mind, which is why he was asked to do the work he did in Broadmoor...Louis was the one that seemed strange. I often think Louis is the one that seems strange though.
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone keeps on about him giving away his earnings and being such a generous chap - why did he need 5 houses? A collection of Rolls Royces? Why did he brag to a reporter that he 'owned' a ward at Stoke Mandeville? Its been well documented that he liked to invent tall stories - why? He never paid for anything if he could help it, told his local fish and chip shop that because they had his photo on the wall they should consider it an honour he had his food from them. Ive had numerous PMs recently all listing concerns over meetings with him. Nothing will stick because of his connections with royalty (Lord Mountbatten's name also crops up repeatedly). Those of you who choose to believe the generous old man persona, feel free to do so. I know that I would never have allowed any of my kids to be in the same room as him.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Now then, now then - my Dad fancied her! :eek:
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone keeps on about him giving away his earnings and being such a generous chap - why did he need 5 houses? A collection of Rolls Royces? Why did he brag to a reporter that he 'owned' a ward at Stoke Mandeville? Its been well documented that he liked to invent tall stories - why? He never paid for anything if he could help it, told his local fish and chip shop that because they had his photo on the wall they should consider it an honour he had his food from them. Ive had numerous PMs recently all listing concerns over meetings with him. Nothing will stick because of his connections with royalty (Lord Mountbatten's name also crops up repeatedly). Those of you who choose to believe the generous old man persona, feel free to do so. I know that I would never have allowed any of my kids to be in the same room as him.

Why did he need 5 houses/Rolls Royces? He didn't! But it was his money and his business what he spent it on!

Why did he 'brag' to a reporter that he owned a ward at Stoke Mandeville? Possibly to wind the reporter up or as a sarcastic/humerous comment. Or maybe it was just his way of saying that the ward had been built (or was kept running) with money he'd raised or donated. It's an odd comment, but JS was an odd man - no-one disputes that!

I can believe that he could be difficult and at times off-hand and rude. But none of that is proof of anything except that he was an eccentric and sometimes grumpy old codger.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was a media invention for her benefit. Even he admitted to that.
  • Options
    JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Sir Jim'll of Fix It.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Like that if someone was to spread a rumour that said you were a serial killer then there would have to be by your own logic be some truth in it as it has been said by soemone ?

However, unlike JS, my alleged exploits are not posted all over the internet.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly my kids said "Jimmy Who?" when I mentioned to my husband that Jimmy had passed away. To me growing up he was a hero who made dreams come true. To my parents, he was a trendy DJ. To those who had suffered terrible spinal injuries, he was a saint for his charitable work at Stoke Mandevile. Thank you Sir Jim, my kids now see what a great impact you had on many, many lives. Time to rest.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Why did he need 5 houses/Rolls Royces? He didn't! But it was his money and his business what he spent it on!

He could well have kept cars in different parts of the country for his use, I only ever saw him in his old VW camper (famous for closing the A82 for some time when he put the filler hose in the wrong tank!).

The only home he does not seem to have used is the one in Bournemouth, not sure where the fifth one was but perhaps around London so somewhere to stay when working down South.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    However, unlike JS, my alleged exploits are not posted all over the internet.

That is easily rectified!

Once a story appears online it tends to be copied on many other websites even if completely false. News story particularly are picked up by other news site and often copies verbatim. Nothing new, the same happened with the DTP. Newspapers had cuttings library and once a story got in there it would be regular repeated even if untrue.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to JS he only ever spoke about 10 words to Polly Brown of Pickety Witch - it was all a publicity thing.

Here's Polly Brown, if people don't remember her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hktsANP-xI&feature=related

The mens hair!!!:D::D
  • Options
    TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sickened by all the unsubstantiated bile displayed on this thread. Character assassination of the dead is easy for the feeble minded of course........not one shred of proof offered though, funny that. I don't claim to know Jimmy well, but the Jimmy I did know went out of his way to help others right up until the end. This is likely the very last filmed piece of Jimmy and we thank him for his massive contribution and his time given to make this possible. Rest in peace Jimmy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WSsyfjytJA
  • Options
    GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall there was some talk that he was dating one of the New Seekers at one time. Eve Graham?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll never forget when Louis Theroux met Jimmy - classic episode.

RIP Sir Jim.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    That is easily rectified!

Once a story appears online it tends to be copied on many other websites even if completely false. News story particularly are picked up by other news site and often copies verbatim. Nothing new, the same happened with the DTP. Newspapers had cuttings library and once a story got in there it would be regular repeated even if untrue.

Thats very true everyone still quotes the spider crawling into your mouth myth as truth despite the fact its been acknowledged as a fake by the person who started it to prove that people will believe anything on the internet http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cezzy wrote: »
    Sadly my kids said "Jimmy Who?" when I mentioned to my husband that Jimmy had passed away. To me growing up he was a hero who made dreams come true. To my parents, he was a trendy DJ. To those who had suffered terrible spinal injuries, he was a saint for his charitable work at Stoke Mandevile. Thank you Sir Jim, my kids now see what a great impact you had on many, many lives. Time to rest.

To be honest, I think I would have as well. I don't know him by anything other than Jimmy Savile or Jimmy from Jim'll Fix It.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sickened by all the unsubstantiated bile displayed on this thread. Character assassination of the dead is easy for the feeble minded of course........not one shred of proof offered though, funny that. I don't claim to know Jimmy well, but the Jimmy I did know went out of his way to help others right up until the end. This is likely the very last filmed piece of Jimmy and we thank him for his massive contribution and his time given to make this possible. Rest in peace Jimmy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WSsyfjytJA

Not one shred of evidence?

There is a well known photo of Mr. Saville at a care home where vulnerable children were abused, killed and buried in the cellar.

Mr. Saville denies ever going there, yet photos do not lie "Jim Fixed It For Us".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will certainly never see his like again. A great man.:cry:
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Jimmy was a celebrity of the days when the term had some substance - unlike now where it's used to describe has-been X-Factor winners and nobodies such as Katie Price. Furthermore his knighthood (which if I remember was awarded for services to charity) was earned through sheer hard graft, and was richly deserved. Today's so-called celebrities would do well to learn from his example.
  • Options
    TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    Not one shred of evidence?

There is a well known photo of Mr. Saville at a care home where vulnerable children were abused, killed and buried in the cellar.

Mr. Saville denies ever going there, yet photos do not lie "Jim Fixed It For Us".

He did not deny ever going there..................he could not recollect the visit 30 years before. How many people of his age and with his schedule remember every place they have ever been?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jan/06/jersey-care-home-assaults-couple-jailed

Despite lurid reports suggesting torture and murder at the home no evidence emerged to support this. Of 170 bone fragments removed from site only three or four were found to be possibly human – some dating back as far as 1470, and the others between 1650 and 1950.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could you not recollect going to Jersey?

:rolleyes:

Lol @ you tyring to make it out to be a normal care home. Children were abused there for years. End of.

Oh, and you left this very important headline out, why?
    Former Haut de la Garenne house parents Morag and Anthony Jordan used 'casual and routine violence' against children

How convenient of you.
  • Options
    FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Savile said he had no recollection of visiting that specific care home in Jersey not the whole island. The abuse at that home was investigated and Sir Jimmy was never implicated in any way. He was guilty of no more than visiting the home in a charitable capacity - as he did for decades in hundreds of other hospitals, homes, etc. End of.