Options

Asus EEE Pad Transformer anyone buying one?

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,683
    Forum Member
    Just noticed a dead pixel on mine. Only had it for a few days. :(

Should I return it or just learn to live with it? I think it wouldn't be so bad if it was in the corner of the screen or something, but it's quite far in.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Just noticed a dead pixel on mine. Only had it for a few days. :(

Should I return it or just learn to live with it? I think it wouldn't be so bad if it was in the corner of the screen or something, but it's quite far in.

If its annoying you then take it back and see what they say
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,683
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    If its annoying you then take it back and see what they say
    Sound advice, thanks. Not sure what Comet are like for returns. It's just a lot of money to spend if it's not 100% right. :o

First I'm trying one of those apps that attempts to fix the pixel by flashing red, blue and green in quick succession over the affected area. I think this is more for "stuck" pixels but it's got to be worth a try overnight.

So frustrating as other than this I'm really pleased with the product.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firmware update in the UK yesterday, Android 3.2 to 3.2.1
    Google Update: Android 3.2.1 – Security enhancement

New Feature: – Supernote

IME/Translation: – Added Farsi IME support – Czech IME improvement : support Qwerty & Qwertz – JP SKU fixed translation bug and Polaris office font – Added more language translation into ASUS App

APP Updates: – CN SKU 3rd party app bug fix – Polaris office & ASUS WebStorage update

Improvements: – Browser with Adobe Flash improvement; ex: YouTube – Browser force-close improvement – Improve Wi-Fi stability – Improve Chinese handwriting prediction : recognize character from each stroke

Additionally at long last the Skype app now supports video, just needs enabling in settings.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Hopefully they've fixed the bug when you click on a link in an email the screen dims instead of opening the browser.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it is annoying when it does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully they've fixed the bug when you click on a link in an email the screen dims instead of opening the browser.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it is annoying when it does.

Easy fix for that! Next time it happens rotate your transformer through 90 degrees and a menu box should appear asking you to select your default browser for the email app. Select it and you shouldn't get the dimming happening again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Easy fix for that! Next time it happens rotate your transformer through 90 degrees and a menu box should appear asking you to select your default browser for the email app. Select it and you shouldn't get the dimming happening again.

Thanks - will try that. although sod's law says it won't happen again. :)
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems that the Asus Transformer Prime is to be launched on November the 9th.
    With Asus a the main innovator in software and hardware they were an obvious choice for Android 4 and Tegra 3.

It will be the world's first ARM tablet that competes well with a netbook for all round speed.
    http://eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-prime/features

I would certainly rate the current Transformer as the top Android tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Seems that the Asus Transformer Prime is to be launched on November the 9th.
    With Asus a the main innovator in software and hardware they were an obvious choice for Android 4 and Tegra 3.

Seems the Transformer will also get Android 4.0 (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) in November, very impressed by the ongoing support of ASUS for this product.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Yep T2 looks really hot .
    ICS and Tegra 3 it's going to be the most powerful Android tablet to date.

Apparently Tegra 3 gives console quality gaming performance, I've read in several technical round ups on this CPU.

Jules, Transformer TF101 will be upgraded to ICS sometime in Nov / Dec timeframe according to Asus as well.

Happy days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the Prime (2) will have 14.5 hours battery life.

Just maybe the 4 CPU cores can run at something like 600 Mhz each in order to achieve this.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking at the T2, and to be honest, it's not enough to warrant an upgrade from my point of view. If my lovely little Transformer was struggling, then I'd be tempted, but if it's going to be receiving ICS, which is apparently LESS demanding that Honeycomb resource-wise, I think I'll stick with it for the time being!

Plus, I think it'll be a good while before we see widespread Tegra 3 optimisation - I think we're only just really seeing it with Tegra 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always advocated buying just what suits.
    To me, the fastest tech on the whole is only really needed by gamers so we have Apple to thank for realism becoming popular.

If Tegra 3 is as good as it says it is, this now moves the tablet capabilities towards PC gaming standards rather than the more usual Netbook standard games.
    Again it is the same, not everyone needs great graphics.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I got my Asus See Pad Transformer today. What an amazing piece of kit.

I've played with these in shops, and found them to be the best Android tablet by some measure... until the revelation that the new Sony device has a universal remote. That, for me, is a killer app/hardware combo, so now I'm back to reconsidering my options. I think I'll wait until I see what the imminent Asus Transformer 2 comes with, before buying. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've played with these in shops, and found them to be the best Android tablet by some measure... until the revelation that the new Sony device has a universal remote. That, for me, is a killer app/hardware combo, so now I'm back to reconsidering my options. I think I'll wait until I see what the imminent Asus Transformer 2 comes with, before buying. ;)

OH Has the Sony tablet - it is very nice and is smaller and lighter than the T1.

I won't be upgrading to the T2, the T1 does everything I need/want but I am looking forward to ICS.

I've just added a VPN to it so hopefully will be able to access the iPlayer when I'm abroad.
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Updated to Android 3.2.1 on my Eee Pad the other day... the only thing I can really see that has changed is the Market app. I personally think the new look is awful, anyone else agree or do you like it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Transformer Prime is to be £500 but comes with the keyboard.
    Maybe one day all tablets will be the same.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/09/asus_prices_up_eee_pad_transformer_prime_tablet_for_uk/

A slight delay or misinformation maybe.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The Transformer Prime is to be £500 but comes with the keyboard.

No chance. That's £50 cheaper than the RRP of the current 32 GB Transformer with the keyboard.

The announced US price is $30 higher than the RRP of the current 32 GB model so I'd expect similar over here, making it around £575 to £600 with the keyboard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 16GB Tranformer is now under £400 complete with the 16 hour battery/keyboard docking station.

32GB is the least you can have with the Prime.
  • Options
    Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Surprised the rumoured date for Transformer Prime is the new year, anyone think it might be rushed out earlier to get the xmas sales?
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't touch the Acer with a barge pole, their laptop battery life are badly calibrated when compared to other manufacturers & putting an AMD in it, is a big mistake imho, as AMD processors are very cheaply made & are often overclocked to such an extent that they overheat easily.

I've found this on my Acer 5535 laptop using AMD, the fan kicks in within 10 minutes of bootup

Now, i'm considering getting the Asus Transformer as i don't want a chunky laptop, looking for a slimer model (so to speak):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little late to the party but AMD now has some great low power CPU offerings now, especially in the ultra portable section.

I'm not quite sure where they come in with reference to these tablets though.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To cut a long story short, I now have 2 contract sim cards & have nothing to use the second contract sim on. I was wondering if anyone has connected a 3G dongle to the Transformer or a MIFI with a sim in and if so, what is the performance like ?

After a nightmare of a train journey a few weeks ago, which murdered my phones battery, I decided that a tablet would be better for internet access on the move & the Asus would be powerful enough to do everything that I would like on.

If anyone has used 3G on the transformer & can advise, then that would be great. :)

Many Thanks

DJM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use a # # Three Mifi modem with a PAYG sim when travelling in the UK. It works very well with a download speed of between # three and five Mbps. Far better than tethering my phone.

Apologies for the hashes, they appear when I t type the number three for some reason.

I'm typing this on the Transformer btw.