Options

Terra Nova (Uk Pace) *No Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its getting better but have they left it too late to save for another season?

Im hoping it does get renewed and the costs quoted for this season were mostly setup one-off costs and the actual cost to make an ep is much lower than we think. The cgi is only on par with the scifi channel which can't cost much.. the actors can't command a massive salary as they are mostly unknown so that leaves us with location and general filming costs (writers etc). Im hoping they can wittle down the cost per ep to make it viable for another season.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terra Nova is veering in to V style ratings. I don't know how Fox will react, as I haven't monitored many Fox shows.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope it gets renewed,its just family fun easy tow atch tv

i really dug maddies storyline this week,and not just cos her face is so darn pretty.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really good episode this week. Certainly left you wanting more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't leave me wanting more.

Not gritty enough. I don't care about the pretty, cardboard cut-out characters, poor writing with plot holes and glaring illogicalities all over the place that are insults to the viewer's intelligence. Ditto the little bits of 'science' in the science-fiction. I've predicted most of the 'twists' so far, which is a very bad sign. Spielberg has lost his touch, even if that touch was simply knowing which writers to employ.

The clunky pilot was the best episode so far, but I might watch a bit more if they introduce some more interesting characters, herds of migrating apatasaurs stomp right through the compound, or something interesting happens in 2149.

Perhaps I've got it all wrong, and it's a children's programme for 8-14 year olds?
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    scumble wrote: »
    Perhaps I've got it all wrong, and it's a children's programme for 8-14 year olds?

It is a "family show" that the parents of children even younger than 8 are supposed to be able to watch with their kids. How is it that you have not figured that out?:confused:
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good episode, and some "revelations" regarding the baddies in the future along with confirmation of the bosses sons research into reversing the portal.

Anyone know when the decision on renewal comes up?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ But it doesn't seem to be a 'family' show, as it was advertised. It's at no higher level than a children's show, for all its enormous budget. That is what I stated clearly. How is it that you have not figured that out?

Few viewers over the age of around 14 can be expected to put up with this tedious nonsense: wooden acting,weak script, marked lack of tension and originality in a show that is by turns 'Little House on the Prairie', then political thriller, 'Lost', 'House' and 'CSI'. It's a lowest-common-demoninator, scatter-gun approach which looks as if too many cooks have spoilt the broth in the effort to stack in stuff that has worked elsewhere. Oh look - there's Newt from Aliens!

I'm not convinced about your 'children even younger than 8' point, either. You have noticed that the show features murders and showed a skeleton?
    Tourista wrote: »
    Anyone know when the decision on renewal comes up?.
    I think around May.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's definitely getting better.
    Some interesting exposition at last, and the story line was better than we've seen so far.
    All in all after a very slow start (does that make this a 'sleeper'?)
    it's quite worth watching.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any reason why the two daughters are of mixed race appearance (as you would expect from their parents), but the son is Caucasian?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We finally got another mention and explanation of the 'signs on the rocks' that the kids has discovered early on.........and then everyone had forgotten about
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    And with that episode, i'm done. It's clearly not going to improve in any respect, and i fully expect it to be cancelled anyway (2.2 rating in the US last night, and considering the cost, there's no way that Fox will be coughing up the dollars for further episodes with such a low return on their investment). It really is just a mish-mash of ideas that have been done infinitely better before.

The show comes alive when Taylor is the focus, but when it focuses on the boring family guff (which is 90% of the time) it just dies on it's feet and descends into cliche-ville. The whole "harvest festival" thing was just cringe-worthy, particularly the little girl acting in a panto. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd actually made us care about the characters, but they're just cardboard cut outs that are poorly acted.

Good premise, extremely poorly executed.
    derek500 wrote: »
    Any reason why the two daughters are of mixed race appearance (as you would expect from their parents), but the son is Caucasian?

Probably so that the writers can have the "big" season (series) finale cliffhanger be that the son discovers that he's adopted...To Be Continued...or not:p
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The whole "harvest festival" thing was just cringe-worthy, particularly the little girl acting in a panto.
    The episode was broadcast in Thanksgiving week in the US, cringe-worthy plays by little children are standard - think Christmas & Nativity plays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Probably so that the writers can have the "big" season (series) finale cliffhanger be that the son discovers that he's adopted...To Be Continued...or not:p
    Elisabeth discovers Jim cheated on her and Josh isn't her son :D
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Genetics isn't a simple averaging of genes so this is perfectly reasonable. The programme has many faults (I stopped watching and just came on here to see how ir was going) but this isn't one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Elisabeth discovers Jim cheated on her and Josh isn't her son :D

Hollyoaks with dinosaurs!:eek::D
    Still, could be worse.:p
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumble wrote: »
    That seems about right. In terms of sophistication it appears to be going for the pre-Star Trek audience/agegroup. You can't call it a "family" show as there's nothing there to keep an adult entertained. Though it does seem that a lot of people refer to something as "family entertainment" as an alternative to calling it bland, unchallenging and lazy-watching.

The plots are shallow with nothing in the way of "real life" ambiguity and the characters are superficial caricatures: each of whom can be adequately described in a single sentence (just what you need for small childrens' TV) and don't seem to ever step outside those boundaries.

If it had been called My Little Dinosaur and scheduled on an appropriate channel at a sensible time a lot of wasted hours could have been avoided, expecting a pay-off that never arrived. it's certainly not suitable for a peak-time slot on Sky's prime satellite channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Genetics isn't a simple averaging of genes so this is perfectly reasonable. The programme has many faults (I stopped watching and just came on here to see how ir was going) but this isn't one of them.

Of course, most people know that genetics is more a randomising of the available genes, keeping in mind that some genes (e.g. brown eyes) are dominant over others (e.g. blue eyes). However, being multicultural myself, and living in a densely multicultural city, I would be rather surprised to meet Josh's supposed mother.

It could be an interesting plotline (Josh = designed genes for some reason?), but there are other race issues they need to get out of the way first.
    [BEST STOP READING HERE if you enjoy posting attacks on 'multicultural Britain' in the politics forum, or you think tramwoman had a point.]

I reckon the whole reason for the doctor-wife being someone who has a mixed background from somewhere around India/somewhere in London is simply that women with that 'mixed' appearance are very hot in the media right now. Keep an eye out on TV, in ads etc, and you will see the inevitable 'dusky beauty', often lined up right next to the blonde. Elisabeth is just a sophisticated model of this trope. In short, the (mostly white men) who cast these things think that look is irresistably cute/sexy. Hence Elisabeth, Maddy, Zoe. Such a pity they are all such paper-thin characters.

Did anyone else notice that in the scene where the [strike]Others[/strike] Sixers first appear at the gates of TN, their 'darkness' and threatening appearance is tediously enhanced by a surprising number of them being black? I wouldn't mind if it were for a reason yet to be revealed, but this series is far too clunky and ham-fisted for that. They don't even remember plot devices they use from one scene to the next.

To move on from such touchy (but real) issues, how did Terra Nova manage before the Shannon family? They turn up (one of them illegally), and suddenly there is their first doctor, their first Chief of Security, and a family (even Zoe) that is apparently central to the colony.

I'd like to see TN go on and improve, but I don't think it's gonna make it, due to rotten foundations.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd been wondering about the lack of colour in the general population of Terra Nova, especially given the supposed 'lottery' selection for most of the colonists. However there do seem to be hints of a new cold war - good ol' USA vs Sino-Russia - maybe only the US and allies get to send colonists? Even so, I'd expect more black/asian americans...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'd been wondering about the lack of colour in the general population of Terra Nova, especially given the supposed 'lottery' selection for most of the colonists. However there do seem to be hints of a new cold war - good ol' USA vs Sino-Russia - maybe only the US and allies get to send colonists? Even so, I'd expect more black/asian americans...

Maybe the black actors saw the script and said :eek:, there's NO chance of me being associated with THAT uncool crap bro!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'd been wondering about the lack of colour in the general population of Terra Nova, especially given the supposed 'lottery' selection for most of the colonists.
    The US has reverted to the 1950s and discriminates on race, the few non-whites appear to have been personally selected - either by the Terra Novans or the the backers of the Sixers.

Given what is known about conditions in 2149 it seems likely that some areas of the world are uninhabitable & that the US has a lot of white refugees.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Got to be the worst show i've watched.The first few episodes had plots as good as scooby doo.It'll get more time than it should just because of the writers.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terra Nova confirmed as the highest rated US show in Sky's history.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks with dinosaurs!:eek::D
    Still, could be worse.:p

Easily. Hollyoaks without dinosaurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terra Nova confirmed as the highest rated US show in Sky's history.

Might one have a source for that frankly unbelievable statement, perchance?:D