Options

Is it such a bad thing to spoil your kids?

Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know people say you shouldn't spoil your kids or buy them what they want. However, I was wondering if it really is such a bad thing?

When I was growing up my parents always gave in to any of my silly requests and bought me anything I asked for (even a dog!). They treated my brother the same way (we have a large age gap), and although they were never terribly well-off financially, they would get tickets to the moon if we asked them nicely :D

Even though both me and my brother could be mouthy at times, I'd like to think that we nevertheless grew up to be respectful and kind adults and we both appreciate what our parents had done for us. (Although we don't show it often enough :rolleyes:)

I have a little girl and I bring her up the same way. I usually spoil her rotten :o I was told by many that I'm doing wrong and that she'll grow up to be a disrespectful spoilt brat and that I will live to regret it.

What do people think? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    be sure you can always afford it as requests get more expensive.

you dont do kids any favours if you dont teach them the value of money
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Spoiled brats turn into ghastly spoiled adults.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    I know people say you shouldn't spoil your kids or buy them what they want. However, I was wondering if it really is such a bad thing?

In this day and age, yes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it's "not that bad" for the child, it's not very good for you surely? Unless you have a bottomless pit of money in the garden...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoil them with love and affection, not with money.
  • Options
    Nick KerrsNick Kerrs Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    Why create a false situation in your home that will not be replicated in real life.

No to spoiled brats
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes. I think its important for kids to learn that life isnt handed to them on a plate and they cant always have everything they want straight away.

this is what kids tend to expect these days, and hence we end up with them looting and rioting.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We knew this kid who was the son of a local radio presenter on the sports segment. He wasn't massively rich, but (as we've realised now) because he was going through a divorce was in competition with his ex-wife to spoil this lad.

We all thought he was a ****, which was a correct assumption, but the fact he was totally spoilt, and surrounded by kids who wanted to drive his 50cc quad or play the latest game he thought he was dead popular, which made him even more of a ****.

Guess who has no mates these days, or anyone even hardly remembers?

Don't spoil your kid, it's not character building.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Its not a good idea to spoil your kids as it tends to lead to the children becoming self centred and expecting their every whim to be met, not just by you but by others.
    I give my children everything they need and some of what they want.They know the value of things and save money for things like x box games. When they save say £15 then I typically pay for the rest of the game if its like £40.
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    I think its very very easy to spoil a child especially when they are little. I suppose you have to ask yourself why you are spoiling your child?

I was the youngest growing up and I was spoiled but I didn't get away with murder at home. My parents were strict, I knew the line and when not to cross it.

My best friend's children are spoiled rotten to the point they are unbearable. They don't understand the word "no" unless its folllowed by a tantrum and I remember telling them they couldnt have a certain toy as I had "no pennies " to which one of them replied "Just go and take more out the bank" The child was four at the time!
    The kids have more toys in their bedrooms than Toys R Us and probably more clothes than their parents but the kids don't really appreciate it or care!

I try really hard not to spoil my own two little girls as tempting as it can be because I don't want them behaving in the way I've just described. I don't want them to become brats nor do I want to be one of those mums that buys their kids something because they can't bear to say no!
  • Options
    J4ckieBr0wnJ4ckieBr0wn Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Spoil them with love and affection, not with money.

I agree with this, though just very occasionally I spoil them by buying something they want. Done this way it makes it special and they don't take it for granted.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We only live once, of course it's not a bad thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the simplest way to sum it up, would be the following.

Spoil your kid = makes you feel good in the present.

Spoilt kid all grown up = no mates, no job, blames mum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing most here weren't spoilt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only live once, of course it's not a bad thing.

If you raise a spoilt little brat, you're doing him a disservice,as you're screwing up his future, no matter how good it makes you feel to spoil him in the present day.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what people are saying, but I always believed that children should not be burdened with their parents' money problems. They'll have their whole life to worry about money and how to make ends meet. Let's face it, life as an adult is not really a picnic, so I'll try to let my kids at least enjoy their childhood without having to worry about "adult problems".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    I think the simplest way to sum it up, would be the following.

Spoil your kid = makes you feel good in the present.

Spoilt kid all grown up = no mates, no job, blames mum.

I know many people who went to private school; who were also spoilt. I don't know a single one (except a guy with cancer) who doesn't have a job, mates, or blames their mum for the upbringing they had.
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose spoiling them every now and then is a good thing, but if you spoil them ALL the time it wouldn't be good. The funny thing is, my cousin, who was an only child was really spoilt in the sense that her parents were well of and always bought her loads of stuff. Me and her were the only kids in the extended family at the time so she had lots of other adults giving her attention and presents. Yet she was the nicest kid ever, she didn't really care much for all the stuff she was getting and let other kids play with all her toys. Know, as an 18 year old she's really well adjusted even though she's always had everything handed to her. It's still a mystery to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what people are saying, but I always believed that children should not be burdened with their parents' money problems. They'll have their whole life to worry about money and how to make ends meet. Let's face it, life as an adult is not really a picnic, so I'll try to let my kids at least enjoy their childhood without having to worry about "adult problems".

My parents were comfortable, as were most of my mates parents, but they taught us the value of money, and I'm glad they did. You're assuming that kids that aren't spoilt, have parents with money problems? I'd bet a years wages that you were hideously spoilt as a kid, and had not only every single Star Wars action figure, but the Millennium Falcon, and all the spaceships and extra gadgets :)
  • Options
    BananacreampieBananacreampie Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is spoilt and there is spoilt rotten.

As long as they are taught loving and giving values as well, then its not going to harm them..
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clue is rather in the word, "spoil", as in "damage" rather than, say, "indulge" or "provide for".
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member

I agree children should be children as long as possible. Lets be honest they grow up fast enough these days!

But that said if you (and I'm not meaning you personally Xela)allow yourself to get into debt just so you can keep up with your child's demands then more fool the parents I say. At the end of the day children can still have brilliant childhoods even if they know their parents dont have bottomless pits of cash. I think its best that children don't grow up with the mantra "What I want I get" as they will be in for a nasty shock when they realise life is not like that.

Love, affection and spending quality time with your children cannot be bought.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I was growing up my parents always gave in to any of my silly requests and bought me anything I asked for (even a dog!). They treated my brother the same way (we have a large age gap), and although they were never terribly well-off financially, they would get tickets to the moon if we asked them nicely :D

Even though both me and my brother could be mouthy at times, I'd like to think that we nevertheless grew up to be respectful and kind adults and we both appreciate what our parents had done for us. (Although we don't show it often enough :rolleyes:)

I have a little girl and I bring her up the same way. I usually spoil her rotten :o I was told by many that I'm doing wrong and that she'll grow up to be a disrespectful spoilt brat and that I will live to regret it.

What do people think? :confused:

you forgot to say Spoiler Alert!
    ahem, I ll get me coat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was spoilt as a kid, and whilst I like to think it hasn't made me a horrible person or anything like that, I freely admit that I am absolutely terrible with money.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Yes, and spoiled kids tend to get looked down on by their peers.