Options

Why dont we call teachers by their first names?

AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find it odd that we call teachers "Mr....." or "Mrs....."
Why not by their first names?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Respect innit
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Respect innit

Respect is an alien concept to a lot of people nowadays
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,230
    Forum Member
    same reason we call parents mum and dad,mind you kids know their parent's first names
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some schools allow their pupils to call their teachers by their first names. But they aren't very good schools.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that unusual in good 6th Form colleges (they ones that try to act like mini-universities).
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it doesnt make sense if we look at it from a respectful point of view, if that was the case then why dont we call everyone that? (Mrs and Mrs that is). Respect works both ways, when i was in school teachers didnt call me Mr........
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some schools allow their pupils to call their teachers by their first names. But they aren't very good schools.

I disagree....my three older kids called their teachers (and the head) by their first names...it was a lovely school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    It's all about respect, but I don't even think it works. My college teachers and university lecturers ask for us to call them by their first names and I've got my respect for them than some of my useless primary and secondary school teachers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do, but then I don't have anything to do with them in a professional capacity,
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They shouldn't be calling them anything.........................children are to be seen and not heard. :p:D
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    But it doesnt make sense if we look at it from a respectful point of view, if that was the case then why dont we call everyone that? (Mrs and Mrs that is). Respect works both ways, when i was in school teachers didnt call me Mr........

Respect has to be earned , teachers worked hard at school and university to gain knowledge so that they can (In theory) pass on that knowledge to others so are due respect children have as yet not done enough to earn respect , but it also about discipline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good teacher doesn't need to be called Mr or Mrs whatever to have the respect of the pupils and no problems with discipline.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,798
    Forum Member
    You should've heard what some of our teachers got called when they weren't listening :eek:
  • Options
    starinthemakingstarinthemaking Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    In college, we call our teachers by their first names, which is much better than at secondary school - then again, I rarely called my teachers by their surnames there anyway, they all either had nicknames or we used their first names unless they were really strict. It's all a respect thing - but why should we show respect to teachers, they haven't done anything to earn our respect and they don't reciprocate it by calling us "Miss" or "Mr".
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd ...

Really?
  • Options
    starinthemakingstarinthemaking Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Respect has to be earned , teachers worked hard at school and university to gain knowledge so that they can (In theory) pass on that knowledge to others so are due respect children have as yet not done enough to earn respect , but it also about discipline

Going to university doesn't immediately mean you deserve respect. You can be the most horrible bully (many teachers tend to be), just because you've gone to university and taken a job where you can bully people a lot younger than you with no fear of it being reciprocated doesn't mean you immediately deserve respect - quite the opposite, actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably an age-related thing. I don't think children should use their teacher's Christian name and I do think it's about respect.

My students would use my Christian name but then most of them were adults anyway.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one sixth form in my town and for the most part it only accepts students from it's adjacent secondary school, but I know that from Years 7-11, they have to use "Sir" or "Miss" or whatever, but once they attend the Sixth form, they are allowed to call the teachers by their first names.. How strange is that! :eek:

Where I went to college, all the teachers were known by their first names.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because they were the adults and you were the child!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a ridiculous idea!
    I wouldn't allow my kids friends to call me by my first name!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    When we call for an appointment at the doctors we don't ask for them by their Christian name we ask for Dr ******* same thing when we call at the police station.

I don't agree with calling teachers by their first name, imo we call our friends by their first name, teachers are not there to make friends with the children, they are there to teach.

They are in a position of authority and stripping away the 'Miss' & 'Mr' will water that down imo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    What a ridiculous idea!
    I wouldn't allow my kids friends to call me by my first name!

Really? :confused:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that we call teachers "Mr....." or "Mrs....."
    Why not by their first names?

Probably because it's unprofessional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude w wrote: »
    When we call for an appointment at the doctors we don't ask for them by their Christian name we ask for Dr ******* same thing when we call at the police station.

I don't agree with calling teachers by their first name, imo we call our friends by their first name, teachers are not there to make friends with the children, they are there to teach.

They are in a position of authority and stripping away the 'Miss' & 'Mr' will water that down imo

In my experience it doesn't though.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    Really? :confused:

I never call my mother by her first name. I'd get telt off if I did.