Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Ouch - though no surprise. Probably more crossover with Strictly fans than X Factor fans when it comes to Westlife - an hour earlier as the filler between the two Strictly shows it probably would have got double the viewers.

Two thoughts on C5 - firstly with McFly winning everything might they try and renew McFly on the Wall to try and cash in on it (not that McFly would need to do another now really).

And secondly - with the news of C5 once again abandoning HD plans reportedly due to them not meeting the quota of shows in native HD - could that be an indication that they will be willing to axe Big Brother this year as I thought one of the few reasons they might not judge it on ratings alone is that it provides 100 or so hours of original HD materials for them - plus probaly the same again with Bit on the Side.

I think January's CBB will be crunch time for the show. If it attracts over 2 million viewers, then it will be safe, but if ratings go backwards, I can foresee Channel 5 cancelling the contract a year early especially if the civilian BB fails to break the 1.5 million barrier. There is definitely an audience for the show, judging by the BB forum on here, but I think its days on one of the big five channels is over, or possibly the show has been exhausted now and should be ditched. It's been gone in Australia for over 2 years and there is little demand to have it brought back.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it was gone in Australia 4 years and when it's return was announced it was largely welcomed - both by BB fans and wider TV fans, as enough time had passed so people generally remember what they loved about the show rather than what led to it being axed.

The contract ends with the summer version anyway and nobody is suggesting C5 will opt out early. CBB based on the summer should do 2m nightly, but 1.5m for the summer version based on this series - and with so much going on this summer - is a tough ask.

It all comes down really to whether Richard Desmond is as desperate for Big Brother as he was when he bought C5 - because as a financial decision ditching it is pretty much a no brainer based on last years ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it was gone in Australia 4 years and when it's return was announced it was largely welcomed - both by BB fans and wider TV fans, as enough time had passed so people generally remember what they loved about the show rather than what led to it being axed.

The contract ends with the summer version anyway and nobody is suggesting C5 will opt out early. CBB based on the summer should do 2m nightly, but 1.5m for the summer version based on this series - and with so much going on this summer - is a tough ask.

It all comes down really to whether Richard Desmond is as desperate for Big Brother as he was when he bought C5 - because as a financial decision ditching it is pretty much a no brainer based on last years ratings.

I think this summer will be the end of it. Even Desmond's Daily Star, which has been the show's biggest ally, stopped putting BB on its front cover. I have tried to defend the show as I thought it would be a money maker for Five and would be revived with a new set and host, but it looks like BB is on its last legs. Also its move to Channel 5 has seen the channel try its hand at ITV2 style reality shows like All About Amy and failed badly. I think if BB goes, Channel 5 should fill the slot with quality American imports that always do well for them.
  • Options
    happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    The Prisoner had a couple episodes which rated at only 1.6m and one of its episodes had just 0.7m! The Marriage Ref earlier this year also had 1.40m and 1.51m overnights.

Did the marriage ref actually go that low in ratings and I would have thought that everything Dermot touched turned to gold. Have to admit though, it was a pretty awful programme.

I wouldn't have expected Westlife to do well- up against strictly which would also appeal to their fans and not many male fans who were probably watching other channels

So did strictly final ratings beat the x factor final ratings? I can't remember what the x factor ratings were
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Brilliant Ratings for SCD.

I was hoping for 13million but 12million is still fantastic for the show I'm sure it will make 13-14million on timehshift.

Can't wait to watch it later. will be perfect TV.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was, without question.

Cheapo filler and decent ratings are not mutually exclusive however, particularly if it appeals to your core demographic!

I've just caught up with The Big Quiz. As a fan of both shows it was pretty decent as a throwaway show to waste an hour. As the ratings were strong I expect it will reappear next year.

Mulhern's years of live TV presenting shows as he is quite a good host, he just needs to get a big break to shake of his cheapo CITV/ITV2 image. He's better than some that have made the jump from T4 to proper telly.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    9.3% primetime share for ITV1! :eek::eek::eek:

Good for Strictly. Im sure a few people will be slightly disappointed not to have got closer to X Factor but all things considered peaking at 13m is a great result.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,684
    Forum Member
    And secondly - with the news of C5 once again abandoning HD plans reportedly due to them not meeting the quota of shows in native HD - could that be an indication that they will be willing to axe Big Brother this year
    Nope. You are clutching at straws here.

I am anticipating another strong outing from Celebrity Big Brother next month to confirm its status as C5's biggest programme. Big Brother could go either way but they will be very keen to make it work.

Talk of possible cancellation at this point halfway through the contract is pointless after a high rating CBB and a mediocre/slightly poor rating BB. I really don't know where you get the idea that the figures were "appalling" from but they really weren't. Wishful thinking perhaps.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flipping eck! Fairly highbrow wartime-set film on BBC2 beats ITV1 primetime entertainment offering! :eek:

Bet no-one saw that ratings shock coming!
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »

Good for Strictly. Im sure a few people will be slightly disappointed not to have got closer to X Factor but all things considered peaking at 13m is a great result.

And if i'm correct ITV was beaten in the Summer by Channel 5 in the Prime time shares. Well it has certainly not been a great year for the so called channel of the year. Beaten by channel 5 and a old dad's army episode.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    David Jason is a very shy man. He must have felt very uncomfortable doing the promo, it certainly looks that way.
    He is shy, but I very much doubt he was uncomfortable. He's an actor, and the trail was a little bit of acting. I like the trail, unlike some. I dislike the piddly Christmas cake ident, though. It looks cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for tomorrow, the success of WWTBAMCS will depend on whether the Herriot revival tonight is a hit, flop or so so.

I think the BBC CA tomorrow needs to say as the credits roll on EE: "No Corrie tonight, so stay with us for a Question of Sport Christmas Special followed by new drama with Young James Heriott"

That's doing the public a service is it not?

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is shy, but I very much doubt he was uncomfortable. He's an actor, and the trail was a little bit of acting. I like the trail, unlike some. I dislike the piddly Christmas cake ident, though. It looks cheap.

Agree, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't want to.

Whether he thought it would air ad nauseum all December is a moot point....

(actually "ad nauseum" is quite a fitting phrase, don't you think... :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Ratings for SCD.

I was hoping for 13million but 12million is still fantastic for the show I'm sure it will make 13-14million on timehshift.

Can't wait to watch it later. will be perfect TV.
    I was out at my mother's 67th birthday and all four of us came home to watch the recording later on, so yes 14 million is possible on timeshift.
    SCD really has been a hit this year and at times has scored bigger ratings than TXF. For a start it doesn't have a baying audience, scandal, epilepsy inducing lights and graphics and a trashy edge to it and I think this is what has played in SCD's favour. Maybe everyone likes Sir Bruce more than Tulisa.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't want to.

Whether he thought it would air ad nauseum all December is a moot point....

(actually "ad nauseum" is quite a fitting phrase, don't you think... :) )
    :D

It could play havoc with the stopwatches next Sunday, though. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking a little into the future, my predictions for DOI are good, as dancing shows are all the rage now. With a good set of dancers, I'm going for 9 million average.
    CBB on Channel 5 should pick up an average of 2.5 million as it's in its normal slot. I think if this does well and the civilian one falters, Des will renegotiate the contract to keep CBB and ditch BB.
  • Options
    happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Looking a little into the future, my predictions for DOI are good, as dancing shows are all the rage now. With a good set of dancers, I'm going for 9 million average.
    CBB on Channel 5 should pick up an average of 2.5 million as it's in its normal slot. I think if this does well and the civilian one falters, Des will renegotiate the contract to keep CBB and ditch BB.

I agree, but I think what stood to strictly was the line up of dancers. Jason Donovan, Lulu, Holly Valance, Harry drew viewers in and it was a bit of a suprise that Chelsee turned out to be a good dancer. The quality of the dancing was very good and there were at least three people who could have won it. It was not so much the production as the show itself but the quality of dance. On the other hand, I am now finding singing shows boring. I used to be a big x factor fan but wasn't even too bothered about this years final
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its going to be really interesting to see how well Big Brother does in Australia next year. Firstly in comparison to the British version it has had a longer time away from the screen, and secondly if anything its had a promotion in channel with NINE being the stronger network than TEN unlike in the UK where going to channel 5 from Channel 4 is in effect a demotion, though the differences are less exaggerated in Australia.

Then you've also got to take into account the slight turnaround in Channel NINE's strategy in the second half of the year, with a move away from the year of comedy to the year of stripped entertainment in 2012, following on from the mammoth success of The Block and decent performance of Celebrity Apprentice. When 7 are showing Home and Away at 7 every night, Ten showing the project and ABC1 showing the news there is clearly a market for Channel Nine to offer something different and reality is a good alternative. Really channel ten backed themselves into a corner introducing the project because it became impossible to carry on showing Masterchef in the 7pm slot where it found initial success. So with the 7pm gap, Big Brother could go one of two ways, people could have moved on as appears to be the case in the UK or it could found a following similar to that of Celebrity Apprentice around the 0.9m mark and be a relative success again (possibly getting more veiwers than the UK version).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    I agree, but I think what stood to strictly was the line up of dancers. Jason Donovan, Lulu, Holly Valance, Harry drew viewers in and it was a bit of a suprise that Chelsee turned out to be a good dancer. The quality of the dancing was very good and there were at least three people who could have won it. It was not so much the production as the show itself but the quality of dance. On the other hand, I am now finding singing shows boring. I used to be a big x factor fan but wasn't even too bothered about this years final

I agree, Happy, TXF was a better show when it wasn't hyped as much and produced a durable star like Leona Lewis. SCD is now so much better and I think the quality of the production, the quality of the choreography and the musicians they use and the professionalism of the dancers stand out. TXF to me seems trashy and worn out and the total overkill has been unbearable, also not having Simon Cowell or Cheryl has hit it.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great figures for SCD even if they were not stratospheric. Watching it last night it had become clear by the end of the first show that Chelsee was not going to challenge Harry. She looked a bit overawed by the whole thing and to be honest it was all over as long as Harry stayed upright.
    Whatever happens regarding X Factor its clear that the decision making elements of the show are huge draws still and the huge peaks it gets are pushing the ratings further.
    With SCD I think the better shows are the middle ones when there are still enough characters around all having different "journeys". Obviously winning the thing is rarely going to lead to anything else.
    Still-hats off to all concerned at SCD-its a warm thoroughly entertaining show and I hope they can get sufficiently interesting celebs to maintain the interest next year. Even the Sunday Express editorial today marked the show as "the best show on tv" -though without going so far as to say that it is a BBC show. Presumably being seen to praise the Beeb is just a bit too much to stomach! And in Nick Ferraris column in the same paper he is urging us all to give Frozen Planet the "cold shoulder" after the fixing claims. However Nick is not so reticent when it comes to naming the organisation behind the show.
    Fantastic for Merlin. Huge rating in the Strictly sandwich, personally I thought Casualty should have been there to remind people it still exists pending the re-launch -however no-one can argue with Merlins performance. One of the most unexpected hits this century imo-everyone behind it deserves plaudits -its avoided all of the pitfalls which plagued Robin Hood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »

This must be ITV1's lowest ever rating. It seems on Saturdays when TXF and BGT aren't around they're floundering. I can remember when they had a stable of hits like Beadle's About, The Gladiators, You Bet, Stars in Their Eyes, Blind Date and Baywatch that dominated Saturdays all year round.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    This must be ITV1's lowest ever rating. It seems on Saturdays when TXF and BGT aren't around they're floundering. I can remember when they had a stable of hits like Beadle's About, The Gladiators, You Bet, Stars in Their Eyes, Blind Date and Baywatch that dominated Saturdays all year round.

One week against one of the biggest shows on TV versus the entire 80s & 90s, good comparison :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    One week against one of the biggest shows on TV versus the entire 80s & 90s, good comparison :rolleyes:

But this isn't the first time ITV1 has had a dreadful weekend this year. Remember such megarating shows as the Marriage Ref, Born To Shine, Popstar to Operastar, whose ratings were so marvellous they've been cancelled? It shows that on Saturdays especially( Sundays aren't so bad as DOI is starting soon) ITV1 has been lacking without the Cowell shows. Even a relative success like Take Me Out only pulls in 4 million viewers.
    Don't get me wrong, ITV1 has some high rating shows, but Saturdays have become worrying for them. I was comparing these days with the situation 20 years ago where ITV had high rating shows every Saturday.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes what were the X-Factor figures.

Much deserved for the Westlife special, however it might have done better with an X-Factor lead in.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,684
    Forum Member
    And if i'm correct ITV was beaten in the Summer by Channel 5 in the Prime time shares. Well it has certainly not been a great year for the so called channel of the year. Beaten by channel 5 and a old dad's army episode.
    Yes, Channel 5 beat ITV1 in primetime on Sunday 28th August 2011 with a film repeat of 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Celebrity Big Brother.'

Beat them by two whole share points too, making it a famous day for the record books:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s150/celebrity-big-brother/news/a337636/celebrity-big-brother-da-vinci-code-lifts-channel-5-above-itv1-on-sunday-night.html
This discussion has been closed.