Options

Programmes That Haven't Been Released Onto DVD Yet But Should Thread.....

StykerStyker Posts: 50,430
Forum Member
I have been waiting years for some programmes of yesteryear to be released onto DVD and as they still haven't been released onto DVD yet, I thought I would start up a thread and see what others think and see if they know why these programmes haven't been released yet.

I also hope that distributors take note!

So in no particular order, what I have been waiting for to be released is the following

The Paradise Club starring Lesley Grantham, a drama from the early 90's that I missed first trime round.

Root Into Europe, a comedy drama starring George Cole at the begining of the anticipated year of change for Europe, 1992. It was very good and very funny. I have the video but I need the DVD now!

Take Me Home, a very good drama starring Maggie O' Neil and Keith or Kevin Barron I think his name is.

Perfect Scoundrells, wiki link though.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Scoundrels_%28TV_series%29

Stolen, a very good drama starring Art Malik and a very hot blonde who's name I can't remember!

Gentleman and Players, I enjoyed that drama in the late 80's shown on ITV.

Civvies, may be too controversial to release but I would like to see it released.

The Woman In Black, great ghost drama, that so needs to be released.

Apart from the Woman In Black, anyone have information on the rest and if they might be released one day and why they haven't so far?

Comments

• Options
    BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The morgana show
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,217
    Forum Member
    The Baldy Man
    Harry Enfield and Chums
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The time it takes some stuff to come out on video or DVD is quite curious. It took about ten years for "Preston Front" to make that move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The time it takes some stuff to come out on video or DVD is quite curious. It took about ten years for "Preston Front" to make that move.

I'm getting the impression that maybe a lot of the people who work for the distributors are too young to remember what was good and should be released or not and the only reason why DVD's of yesteryear get released is because the broadcasters probably sell it to the distributors with all the stats about how popular the programme was in the first place etc.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream Team, the Sky One programme has I believe never been releashed on dvd, which is a shame, as I was a huge fan of the show! :D
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It took over 20 yrs for Chelmsford 123 to make it to DVD.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    33 or so years and counting for Targets...Beebs ultra-violent answer to The Sweeny.
  • Options
    DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fist of Fun was released a week or two ago, the first series from 95. Its available from Go Faster Stripe.
  • Options
    tomalistenertomalistener Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    The Paradise Club
    I have the CD of the music from the series - does this count!
    Great big band stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Paradise Club
    I have the CD of the music from the series - does this count!
    Great big band stuff

No, but did it have good music then?

I wish the BBC would release series 5 onwards of Grange Hill too. There was some silly complaints about series 1-4 picture quality wasn't that good when they where released but they where fine on the whole. The odd scratch but hey that happens in cinema a lot with prints less than a few weeks old!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Common as muck' A superb BBC drama from the early 90's about dustbin men.Edward Woodward starred
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Monkey Dust.

They released the first series, but then not the subsequent ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    The Baldy Man
    Harry Enfield and Chums

Good shouts! :)

I'd still like there to be some Best Of box-sets released for Brookside, and EastEnders if it comes to that, similar to the formats in which the Network/ITV Coronation Street sets have been released. I know there is a Brookie anniversary DVD due out next year for the shows 30th anniversary, but what is that going to be? A one-or-two disc job with a bunch of clips on it and one whole episode if we're lucky?
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen of Swords has never been released in the UK or North America. It has in Japan but 2 episodes combined into 90 minute films over 10 dvds very expensive way to buy. 4/3 pan and scan english soundtrack, japanese dubbing and subtitles. The french have released a box set of the 22 episodes english soundtrack french dubbing and subtitles but in 16/9 format so 44% more picture. Both dvd's are uncut with all the profanities retained some of which were cut when broadcast here in Britain.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Bananas.

Set during WWII staring Stephanie Beacham, Alison Steadman et al.

Only ran to one series, but was entertaining enough.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurotika!

A documentary series shown on channel 4 about European exploitation films. It's got a couple of bootleg's but no official release.

Vids

Cult film review show come comedy series. Became a cult series in it's own right. It'll never be released though.

Exploitica

Comedy series using clips from old exploitation movies. Wasn't very good in my opinion. But deserves credit for being experimental. And has a cult following.

Vengeance Unlimited.

U.S. drama like The Equaliser. It starred Michael Madsen.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    The Woman In Black, great ghost drama, that so needs to be released.

It’s been released. Was available for a short time from a Canadian distributor before the rights were revoked once the company making the Radcliffe version embargoed any further release. The real reason is because the original is one of the most terrifying things you’ll ever see and the new version probably....isn’t. Don’t want unfavourable comparisons denting the box-office do we?

I’d like to own 1990 with Edward Woodward, The Riff-Raff Element, the BBC SF anthology Out of the Unknown and all of Adam Curtis’ work (probably never happen on official releases).
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    It's a pity the BBC have stopped releasing QI on doovde :(
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    33 or so years and counting for Targets...Beebs ultra-violent answer to The Sweeny.

It’s Target. The Beeb have said they’re not going to release it IIRC. The only hope would be for someone like Network to licence it. As well as it’s thuggish violence it’s notable for getting Katy “Dr Who” Manning to strip, airing her fried egg tits to the disinterest of the nation.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 5 onwards of NYPD Blue. And season 4 onwards of Rescue Me. Dunno if any tv channel still has the rights to the latter but if it's fairly obvious no-one is willing to show it then they should put the dvds out for those of us who bought or watched the first three seasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    RIPLEY75 wrote: »
    'Common as muck' A superb BBC drama from the early 90's about dustbin men.Edward Woodward starred

Great show :D

What was the TV show back in the 80's set in a village that told stories of the villagers and I think had Richard O'Sullivan in it? I can't remember if it was any good but would be nice to see it again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It’s been released. Was available for a short time from a Canadian distributor before the rights were revoked once the company making the Radcliffe version embargoed any further release. The real reason is because the original is one of the most terrifying things you’ll ever see and the new version probably....isn’t. Don’t want unfavourable comparisons denting the box-office do we?

I’d like to own 1990 with Edward Woodward, The Riff-Raff Element, the BBC SF anthology Out of the Unknown and all of Adam Curtis’ work (probably never happen on official releases).

When was this then? I haven't seen any copies become available on ebay or Amazon.

I'm fed up with the rightsd being blocked, the film company making a new version shouldn't be allowed to do that for the TV version!

I'd love it if no one bought any more of Susan Hills books as a way of protesting what she has done on this! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Season 5 onwards of NYPD Blue. And season 4 onwards of Rescue Me. Dunno if any tv channel still has the rights to the latter but if it's fairly obvious no-one is willing to show it then they should put the dvds out for those of us who bought or watched the first three seasons.

Hill Street Blues Season 3 onwards. Same as with NYPD, the first two seasons didn't sell well. So they gave up. But I live in hope.
  • Options
    TheCatsMeaowTheCatsMeaow Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Bachelors Walk
    only the first series released
  • Options
    rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "heartbreak high" and sky one's "dream team" , "mile high" and "is harry on the boat"

also a uk release of baywatch would be nice

also saved by the bell the entire series and california dreams and al those programmes that used to be on trouble tv