Options

Hansen 'There are a lot of coloured players'

Comments

• Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,966
    Forum Member
    I was taken to task a few years back, when discussing the film The Third Man, and I commented that it was about the black market. Couldn't say black coffee either.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,523
    Forum Member
    I'm coloured - I'm pink.

Coloured is only derogatory because during apartheid in the deep South of the USA and South Africa - it clearly defined 'what' someone was ie. in entitlements and the way they would be treated.
    White was white
    Black was black
    Coloured always meant mixed race and these people were treated more harshly than those who were clearly black.
    Signs saying "no blacks or coloureds" were commonplace in shop windows, restaurants etc.

It is the memories of this disgusting segregation that gives the word "coloured" the bad name it has. That's why it is not appropriate to be used.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always struck me how the brand name 'Black and Decker' was never jumped upon by domestic violence charities.
  • Options
    RalphMilneRalphMilne Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    I'm coloured - I'm pink.

Coloured is only derogatory because during apartheid in the deep South of the USA and South Africa - it clearly defined 'what' someone was ie. in entitlements and the way they would be treated.
    White was white
    Black was black
    Coloured always meant mixed race and these people were treated more harshly than those who were clearly black.
    Signs saying "no blacks or coloureds" were commonplace in shop windows, restaurants etc.

It is the memories of this disgusting segregation that gives the word "coloured" the bad name it has. That's why it is not appropriate to be used.

Given that explanation (which i dont doubt for a second), it does beg the question that if its "No blacks or coloureds" segregation that has prompted theoutlawing the use of the word "coloured" why is black still seen as acceptable?
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    My Grandparents still use the term 'coloured', it used to be the PC term before it was decided by the powers that be to be un-PC. Probably without the input of any ethnic minority group :D

I was brought up using the word 'coloured' but I still manage not to use it now as I do know it is not considered PC. It isn't difficult. I do think that he didn't mean anything by it though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Headline link on AOL to this article, which also prominently shows tweets by folk who think he was so very wrong :

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/22/alan-hansen-angers-match-_n_1164561.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D89606

Most of the somments from folk though and the vote being 84% to 16% against him being wrong in spite of them seemingly trying to lead it, shows how I expected a public reaction to be.

It's all getting a bit ridiculous if everytime anyone opens their mouth and uses a word which is not at the top of some group's approved lst, they are going to be slaughtered.

Though, even as I wrote that, I was thinking we are a colour too ( white, well more pink actually ), so I can see an arguement that it could be seen as a them and us term. There's your normal folk and there's your coloured hmm, I am sure Hansen didn't mean any offense, but maybe non-white would be more appropriate.

So, there is maybe a useful debate to be had, if it can be conducted without hyperbole and so much overreaction from some folk .
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,934
    Forum Member
    Jeez, what a mountain out of a molehill. He's done nothing wrong.

I honestly despair at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    The only people that are racist are the people that needlessly discuss it.

Our culture is racist - the fact that an issue has been made of this, frankly non-issue, is in itself racism.

What a joke
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16301357.stm

What an absolute joke. The article is completely absurd.

I cannot believe he was made to/felt the need to apologise for that.

Feel sorry for him.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Surely the main issue is that we got to see Alan Hansen (a man who hasn't made one original insight in years) grovelling and squirming.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    I cringed when he said it because I knew people would pick up on it.

It would appear that in these modern times, "coloured" is a less than favourable word for the describing of ethnic minorities.

It's a funny old word to be offended by, cos, after all, white is a colour as well, so we are ALL 'coloured', really, be it black, white or brown.

But no one ever seems to see it like that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has hansen said this deliberately to make us all ask questions, he is a liverpool fan and could be saying such things to take some heat off the club, who have acted pretty stupidly throughout this whole thing.

Or do I give him too much credit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Has hansen said this deliberately to make us all ask questions, he is a liverpool fan and could be saying such things to take some heat off the club, who have acted pretty stupidly throughout this whole thing.

Or do I give him to much credit?

I think the behaviour of Liverpool FC since the verdict has made people ask enough questions and he would have had to turn up in a KKK mask with a buring cross to take the heat off the club for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

Or do I give him too much credit?

You give him too much credit. He has not remotely thought that there was an issue in what he was saying.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,523
    Forum Member
    RalphMilne wrote: »
    Given that explanation (which i dont doubt for a second), it does beg the question that if its "No blacks or coloureds" segregation that has prompted theoutlawing the use of the word "coloured" why is black still seen as acceptable?

Do you know Ralphie - I don't know for sure?

Possibly something to do with being seen as 'coloured' was SO heinous and MUCH worse than being black. This was because of the perception that your parents must have broken segregation laws (don't get me started on colonialism!). It could of course have been many generations before you came along as well..........
    This also explains why people of mixed race/heritage, particularly in the USA will claim being black as their ethnicity due to the historical connotations.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    RalphMilne wrote: »
    I think the behaviour of Liverpool FC since the verdict has made people ask enough questions and he would have had to turn up in a KKK mask with a buring cross to take the heat off the club for that.

I agree. Their refusal to condemn Suarez and to even paint him as some victim in this case is deplorable.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    I grew up with a half caste brother and then suddenly someone decided that half caste wasn't acceptable and it now had to be mixed race. I still refer to him as half caste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Do you know Ralphie - I don't know for sure?

Possibly something to do with being seen as 'coloured' was SO heinous and MUCH worse than being black. This was because of the perception that your parents must have broken segregation laws (don't get me started on colonialism!). It could of course have been many generations before you came along as well..........
    This also explains why people of mixed race/heritage, particularly in the USA will claim being black as their ethnicity due to the historical connotations.

You could well be right. It just shows what a potential minefield the whole thing is.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Personally I'm bored with all this race nonsense.

If you see someone mugging an old lady and he ain't white - which apparently isn't a racist term - can you say he's black or coloured or do you restrict your self to saying he wasn't white officer?

What delicate flowers these PC types.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Personally I'm bored with all this race nonsense.

If you see someone mugging an old lady and he ain't white - which apparently isn't a racist term - can you say he's black or coloured or do you restrict your self to saying he wasn't white officer?

What delicate flowers these PC types.

If you call someone coloured they could be black, white, pink or yellow etc, so it makes no sense.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world has gone mad - Hanson has been forced to apologise:

"I unreservedly apologise for any offence caused. This was never my intention and I deeply regret the use of the word," said the 56-year-old.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    If you call someone coloured they could be black, white, pink or yellow etc, so it makes no sense.

Coloured implies they aren't black, in other words likely to be Asian not African but not white obviously.

You can't call 'em Pakistani cause they could be Indian and I can't tell the difference can you?

I doubt anyone would think someone is yellow or blue at least I've never seen anyone coloured bright yellow have you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Their refusal to condemn Suarez and to even paint him as some victim in this case is deplorable.

If Liverpool believe Suarez is innocent then they have every right to support him and not condemn him. The way they have gone about doing it is certainly questionable, but not the fact that they choose to back Suarez.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is the "Correct" word?
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I'm black, and would be offended if someone referred to me as coloured. However, I don't feel for one second Alan Hansen meant any offence whatsoever, and I agree this outrage is a bit bonkers.