Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2011 Season: The Verdict (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew noted in an earlier tweet than they were doing Jody Schekter with Alain Prost and were trying to get Niki Lauda.

Brundle tweet in response to someone: https://twitter.com/#!/MBrundleF1/status/149781169012097025

MBrundleF1
    Sky Sports News will have comprehensive coverage of F1 car launches and pre season tests, Sky F1 HD channel fires up in March
    2 hours ago
  • Options
    PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MODTL wrote: »
    I don't think the dedicated channel was originally planned. I suspect Sky was going to put F1 on Sky Sports 1 and have the practice on Sky Sports 3 or 4 maybe. When they realised that many fans would not buy the sports package (me being one of them - refused point blank) they knew they had to put it on a dedicated channel free to Sky HD subscribers. Only guessing but it would seem logical. The BBC management team have acted appallingly in this and the only reason I'll be watching their live races next year is because of the strong presentation team they have. I hope they bring in a decent Ted-replacement (he's the Beeb's biggest loss by a long way) and also a decent 5-Live team for practice.

At present I'll watch 19 race's practice sessions on Sky, 10 qualifying on Sky, 9 on BBC, 10 races on Sky, 9 on BBC and one whole race weekend in person! Might watch the odd practice session on the BBC red button (when it's live) - depends on whether I'm in bed. Only have Sky HD downstairs and I am fond of curling up in bed and watching F1.

Definitely be watching Australia on Sky though and will watch the BBC coverage to see how awesome Ben Edwards is on F1 commentary and compare him to Croft - I don't think there'll be much competition really :p
    Glad I am not the only one sceptical over why this channel was created. Even as a massive F1 fan, who hates Football, I can see that Football would be the sport that out of any, should have its own channel.
    Even if I do get Sky Sports F1, I will watch the practice sessions on the BBC over Sky, so I get to see the whole sessions uninterrupted. A better quality picture does not make up for adverts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if I do get Sky Sports F1, I will watch the practice sessions on the BBC over Sky, so I get to see the whole sessions uninterrupted. A better quality picture does not make up for adverts.

Don't forget practice will only be on BBC for half of the races.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,749
    Forum Member
    On BBC TV maybe.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Andrew noted in an earlier tweet than they were doing Jody Schekter with Alain Prost and were trying to get Niki Lauda.

Brundle tweet in response to someone: https://twitter.com/#!/MBrundleF1/status/149781169012097025

MBrundleF1
    Sky Sports News will have comprehensive coverage of F1 car launches and pre season tests, Sky F1 HD channel fires up in March
    2 hours ago

While not strictly a 'legend', if Barrichello does not get a drive for next year which is looking increasingly likely, should Barrichello be interviewed on the legends' show as he is one of the longest serving F1 drivers, along with Patrese and a few others I'm sure?

BTW good that SSN will be giving coverage to the car launches. One point - SSN has a show called Football Tonight I think, so maybe it'd be a good idea if SSN launch a F1 news show (maybe half-hour long) to give it its own dedicated coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    On BBC TV maybe.

Well yes, but he said watch. You can't watch radio even if they will be commentating from every session of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they could have Irvine and Barrichello in a "The True Champions Who Were Schafted By Their Team" feature? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Perhaps they could have Irvine and Barrichello in a "The True Champions Who Were Schafted By Their Team" feature? :D

Don't forget Massa. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah! But he was still a rookie at the time then fluffed his chance later.
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    BTW good that SSN will be giving coverage to the car launches. One point - SSN has a show called Football Tonight I think, so maybe it'd be a good idea if SSN launch a F1 news show (maybe half-hour long) to give it its own dedicated coverage.

I don't really watch SSN anymore, but when I did watch it Football Tonight seemed rather misleading. Yes it had a lot of football content, as does the channel in general, but there was still other sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Don't forget practice will only be on BBC for half of the races.
    I know that. I maybe should have been clearer, I will watch the practice sessions that are available on the BBC.
  • Options
    jdn123jdn123 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I know that. I maybe should have been clearer, I will watch the practice sessions that are available on the BBC.

Not that we know who will be providing the commentary yet... Crofty and Ant vs Legard and Hamilton potentially. I think I know where I'd go!
  • Options
    davepuseydavepusey Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    Blu-ray season review arrived this morning from Amazon.

It's not even ment to be out yet :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jdn123 wrote: »
    Not that we know who will be providing the commentary yet... Crofty and Ant vs Legard and Hamilton potentially. I think I know where I'd go!

I don't care who is commentating on it. It's simple. Watch the practice sessions on Sky and miss 15% of each session, or watch it all on BBC. Its a choice of a session interrupted by adverts or one that isn't. The one that isn't is a better choice even if it is only in SD.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    I don't care who is commentating on it. It's simple. Watch the practice sessions on Sky and miss 15% of each session, or watch it all on BBC. Its a choice of a session interrupted by adverts or one that isn't. The one that isn't is a better choice even if it is only in SD.

Give it a rest. At an absolute max they would have two ad breaks in a 90 minute session. And at the end of the day, unless you work with somebody involved practice sessions are just cars driving round in circles for 90 minutes. Most of the time the technical things being tested aren't visible to viewers, so it is all about the commentary.

Genuinely think you are overracting to the prospect of a couple of ads in a free practice session. The whole "I hate F1 on Sky" shtick got boring months back. Chill out, and sort your priorities. There are plenty more important things in life.
  • Options
    Forum Member

TBH, I don't really mind adverts during the quieter periods in practice, maybe at the start of the session or during red flag periods, but obviously, having no adverts on the BBC is better. Maybe if there is a prolonged red flag period in practice for whatever reason, a few adverts could be run in that period, so the rest of the session could be run ad-free (if it works like this), or run adverts during the pre-practice coverage.

BTW Saying that one broadcaster is definitively the better choice over the other is a matter of opinion. I might think Sky's coverage of practice will be better as they'll have more analysis of practice presumably.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davepusey wrote: »
    Blu-ray season review arrived this morning from Amazon.

It's not even ment to be out yet :D:D

It cant be the Blu-ray season review dave, its not out yet..
    :D:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    At an absolute max they would have two ad breaks in a 90 minute session.

If you go by the standard protocol nowadays, there are breaks every 15 minutes (give or take).

Assuming there are 30 minutes of pre/post session waffling:

13:27 Break after previous programme.
    13:30 Start of pre-show.
    13:42 Break
    13:57 Break
    14:00 Start of Session.
    14:15 Break
    14:30 Break
    14:45 Break
    15:00 Break
    15:15 Break
    15:30 End of Session.
    15:32 Break
    15:45 Break
    15:57 Off-air, Break.
    16:00 Next programme.

So the peacock does have a point, if Sky have gone back on their word not to have uninterrupted practice sessions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    Give it a rest. At an absolute max they would have two ad breaks in a 90 minute session. And at the end of the day, unless you work with somebody involved practice sessions are just cars driving round in circles for 90 minutes. Most of the time the technical things being tested aren't visible to viewers, so it is all about the commentary.

I hope they have a camera down with Ted and Natalie in practice sessions and are actually allowed to switch to it during the practice sessions if they are interviewing someone or if he wants to show something. Not sure if it's possible to do that and (somehow) keep the FOM graphics in shot.

Also, re legends I hope they interview some 'journeymen' - because in theory they may have better stories than the legends, ie the Frentzen's and Panis's of the world.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jb26 wrote: »
    If you go by the standard protocol nowadays, there are breaks every 15 minutes (give or take).

Assuming there are 30 minutes of pre/post session waffling:

13:27 Break after previous programme.
    13:30 Start of pre-show.
    13:42 Break
    13:57 Break
    14:00 Start of Session.
    14:15 Break
    14:30 Break
    14:45 Break
    15:00 Break
    15:15 Break
    15:30 End of Session.
    15:32 Break
    15:45 Break
    15:57 Off-air, Break.
    16:00 Next programme.

So the peacock does have a point, if Sky have gone back on their word not to have uninterrupted practice sessions.

This is all (biased) speculation - just like the "15%" from the "very balanced" poster above.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care who is commentating on it. It's simple. Watch the practice sessions on Sky and miss 15% of each session, or watch it all on BBC. Its a choice of a session interrupted by adverts or one that isn't.

And for that reason alone, I can't see Sky putting much in the way of adverts into the practice sessions - why would they give such an easy score to the BBC to say their coverage is better? The ad-revenue on an F1 practice session is likely to be peanuts anyway, particularly if for half of them, ad-free coverage is available elsewhere leaving a tiny audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm almost certain there will be very, very little adverts for the flyaways anyway. Anyone that watched ITV F1 will know that there were very little adverts during the flyaway races - Australia in particular: http://jonmcknight.typepad.com/jon_mcknight/2008/03/itv-viewers-to.html (there were still 5 breaks during races, but only about 60/90 seconds long)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    And for that reason alone, I can't see Sky putting much in the way of adverts into the practice sessions - why would they give such an easy score to the BBC to say their coverage is better? .

They won't care anyway.

The fact people pay hundreds of pounds a year to subscribe means they have to "believe in better"......:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. The money for F1 in 2012 and 2013 was already ring-fenced.

What this deal has done has committed them to spending a further £30m (-ish) on F1 between 2014 and 2018, which is money they'd have otherwise been able to spend on other sports.

In other word they've extended their contract at a cheaper price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MODTL wrote: »
    The BBC management team have acted appallingly in this

Given these decisions were forced on them by an outside party, how could they - in your view - have acted less appalingly?
This discussion has been closed.