Options

Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Had my first ********-timewaster for ages today.
    Some nobhead (with a bottle of milk) asked me where the Beechams is so I told her its on the kiosk and then she asked me if she could pay for the milk there as well.
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Some nobhead (with a bottle of milk) asked me where the Beechams is so I told her its on the kiosk and then she asked me if she could pay for the milk there as well.

Wow, some people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...and could she pay for the milk at the kiosk?
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member

The Nerve...

Sadly this thread has tunred from a quite entertaining read to a weekly motsy moanfest, most of his problems aren't actually bad and i think he actually gives us retail workers a bad name
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    The Nerve...
    Sadly this thread has tunred from a quite entertaining read to a weekly motsy moanfest, most of his problems aren't actually bad and i think he actually gives us retail workers a bad name
    I couldn't agree more. Calling a customer what he did just because she had the nerve to ask him a reasonable question seems way over the top to me.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Stood at the front of a really long queue:

Customer: I bet you're busy today

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    urt31 wrote: »
    Dear Pompous Idiot,

You do not "pay my wages". Allow me to make that clear. ............

All the best,

The "awkward manager" you sent a complaint email about, from your table, on your blackberry. Directly to me. Idiot.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that annoyed me today (but I had to laugh about it) A woman asked me how much a tin of salmon was. However the prices were being done in the office, so I told her I wasn't sure and I went to the check out to find out, and when I came back she hesitated at the price then after a delay she took it, only to go around to the next aisle and stash the tin of salmon in with the handwashes haha. Funny enough I could see her through the shelves finding a good place to set it down. Must have been too embarrassed to say no:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Believe it or not, I like working at the Co-op:p:p:p:p but it things at the oner I work at don't pick up next year, I might jump ship:p before the place sinks.
    Anyway, the Co-op got robbed (again) today. From what I hear three bottles of champagne got broke abd what was the shoplifter's exscuse? He's broke and it's Christmas.
    DIDDUMS!!!! So are a lot of people but they don't resort to shoplifting.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    it would probably annoy some:
    the shop (poundstretchers) was closing down so there was a sale on some goods, many people used to get a trolley (asda trolley/ big one) full of goods and get them scanned only to reject most of them as they weren't included in the sale
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Customer today informed me she wanted one of those Ramones tee shirts for her son that she saw 3 or 4 weeks ago. I told her we only had girls sizes left.

"Well that's no good to me is it ? "

I gently remined her that Christmas is fast approaching and other customers had bought them all.

"Will you be getting any more in before Christmas ? "

Where did she think I could magic them up from ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I work in a well known home diy store. We've had Xmas decs out since October and our big weekend is the first week in December as you could understand. The final week before Xmas all xmas decs are massively reduced. 1 tree down from £70 to £7. Naturally as you can imagine all the stock we had remaining is being snapped up this week. A customer comes in yesterday asking for a £50 tree he saw a month ago which was now about £6, we had none left.
    "When you are getting more in?" He asks on December 21
    my response "Probably November 2012".:D

Another comes in with a receipt from about 5 weeks ago when she brought about 200 quids worth of decs. She demanded it refunded and resold to her at the clearance price, probably would have worked out to about £50. We said we'd happily oblige if she brought all the items back to store and hung around until we repacked them and put them back on shelf "which will probably be...i dont know Friday or Saturday":D
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one more customer asks me if we have chocolate coins for the christmas tree left, I think I will scream - very loudly.

Never mind bloody chocolate coins weve got January sales stuff going on tomorrow night, for when the shop opens on Christmas Eve, guess what fool has to dress all the sales stuff on tomorrow night.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    I work in a well known home diy store. We've had Xmas decs out since October and our big weekend is the first week in December as you could understand. The final week before Xmas all xmas decs are massively reduced. 1 tree down from £70 to £7. Naturally as you can imagine all the stock we had remaining is being snapped up this week. A customer comes in yesterday asking for a £50 tree he saw a month ago which was now about £6, we had none left.
    "When you are getting more in?" He asks on December 21
    my response "Probably November 2012".:D

Another comes in with a receipt from about 5 weeks ago when she brought about 200 quids worth of decs. She demanded it refunded and resold to her at the clearance price, probably would have worked out to about £50. We said we'd happily oblige if she brought all the items back to store and hung around until we repacked them and put them back on shelf "which will probably be...i dont know Friday or Saturday":D

Don't you just love it! I work in a clothes store and our sale has started early this year. We've had a number of customers returing items without receipts and you guessed it the items have now been reduced by up to half price. Without the receipt we can only exchange for the current selling price. The number of times people have kicked off because they've paid full price for the item and we can only offer them half of what they paid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny because we have this one customer who goes around the shop for at least an hour writing down all the offers. She comes back after the offers end and buys all the ex promotions then comes back for a refund because it should have been on offer. We also have this chinese lady who tears open the warburtons bread to see if its the right one, then comes back in because its damaged!! Oh and we have this really really smelly customer :( he smells that bad that he has been banned from SPAR!
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    When I worked in that well known high street stationers, our sale started on Boxing day. Now, as is the case in most shops, not every item is reduced. Only a few lines of old stock and things that we couldn't shift before Christmas were reduced. This wasn't really a problem for 99% of customers, they saw the sale items and paid the price stated. Easy.

However, some people had it in their mind that every single item should be reduced just because it was sale time. They would throw a hissy fit if the thing they picked up wasn't reduced. For example we had people moaning that things like diaries or calendars were still full price on Boxing day. The shop I worked in didn't reduce diaries etc until around February, purely because they sold well until then. When the new line of diaries came out (I.E. June-June instead of January-December) then the discounts started.

Also, the number of people who expected Magazines or tobacco to be included in January sales was astounding.

Oh, and we also did the same with books, if they were returned without a receipt then they were put through at whatever price they were currently retailing at. After Christmas that meant a lot of angry people...oh well, should have got that receipt!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    The memories I have from working at McD's still make me shudder.

We (the staff) were targets for humiliation and abuse from people with superiority complexes practically every day.

Some of the worst examples I can recall:

A thuggish dad complaining that we had given the wrong flavour drink with his child's happy meal, giving us no chance to apologise/put it right; he began jabbing his finger in my managers face and threatened to come back later and wait outside for him so he could "break his legs".

Bunch of youths vandalised the toilets, then when asked to leave by my supervisor they threw their drinks all over her.

My brother who also worked there had a hot apple pie thrown in his face.

My friend served a double cheese burger to a horrible lad, who looked at it an proceeded to spit in my colleagues face because he 'didn't like gherkins'.

An enraged young woman threw the entire contents of her food bag over the drive through lane and window, as she was annoyed that we had run out a particular kind of sauce/dip.

The list goes on, so glad I escaped after finishing Uni, as did a lot of my colleagues!
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Stood at the front of a really long queue:

Customer: I bet you're busy today

:rolleyes:

Its called small talk and being friendly. Idiot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Can I have a bag" for the smallest item?! One guy has a bag for a packet of cigs?! One customer told me off because I folded his paper in half and put it in a bag for him. He told me he doesn't like a crease in the paper!
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    "Can I have a bag" for the smallest item?! One guy has a bag for a packet of cigs?! One customer told me off because I folded his paper in half and put it in a bag for him. He told me he doesn't like a crease in the paper!

Exactly the same things have happened to me when I worked in retail. Bags for everything from a Mars bars to a sodding Printer (that was far too big for a bag and had handles on the box anyway). I would often lie and say we'd ran out if I thought they really, really didn't need a bag or if they already had one. :D

I think British people have an unhealthy obsession with bags and putting things in them.

I wish we charged for bags in all shops...just to try and break this wasteful habbit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had a couple of amusing incidents today:-
    One of the few ex-netto regulars who stayed loyal got me talking to her today and II gave her the usual 'most of the crew're still there, if things don't pick up next year I might jump ship). She was telling me that a lot of people didn;t want NETTO to become a Co-Op (I told her what some ex-customers had been telling me). Then she asked me whether I preffered working at the Co-Op or NETTO (The Co-Op. But I gave her the usual about the Co-Op being a well known British company, with a better reputation and more well known brands but where were all the customers?).

Then I was loading a trolley up with stuff to put out around the back and I heard the summons 'Motsy to the rescue'. Turned out it wasn't a customer who really needed assistance or a bit of product knowledge but one of the crew needing my opion as one of the other crew told her that I'd had what she wanted to buy.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Now come on. Be fair!
    You might need some carrier bags yourself one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Had a couple of amusing incidents today:-
    One of the few ex-netto regulars who stayed loyal got me talking to her today and II gave her the usual 'most of the crew're still there, if things don't pick up next year I might jump ship). She was telling me that a lot of people didn;t want NETTO to become a Co-Op (I told her what some ex-customers had been telling me). Then she asked me whether I preffered working at the Co-Op or NETTO (The Co-Op. But I gave her the usual about the Co-Op being a well known British company, with a better reputation and more well known brands but where were all the customers?).

Then I was loading a trolley up with stuff to put out around the back and I heard the summons 'Motsy to the rescue'. Turned out it wasn't a customer who really needed assistance or a bit of product knowledge but one of the crew needing my opion as one of the other crew told her that I'd had what she wanted to buy.

Life's tough
  • Options
    pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The memories I have from working at McD's still make me shudder.

We (the staff) were targets for humiliation and abuse from people with superiority complexes practically every day.

Some of the worst examples I can recall:

A thuggish dad complaining that we had given the wrong flavour drink with his child's happy meal, giving us no chance to apologise/put it right; he began jabbing his finger in my managers face and threatened to come back later and wait outside for him so he could "break his legs".

Bunch of youths vandalised the toilets, then when asked to leave by my supervisor they threw their drinks all over her.

My brother who also worked there had a hot apple pie thrown in his face.

My friend served a double cheese burger to a horrible lad, who looked at it an proceeded to spit in my colleagues face because he 'didn't like gherkins'.

An enraged young woman threw the entire contents of her food bag over the drive through lane and window, as she was annoyed that we had run out a particular kind of sauce/dip.

The list goes on, so glad I escaped after finishing Uni, as did a lot of my colleagues!
    I'd sooner work there then be on the dole! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Life's tough

I wasn't bad mouthing anybody and you read my threads about working at the Co-op and how great I'm finding it there.
This discussion has been closed.