Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    For me Britain's Got Talent will get to a point and steady. It may be that the point will be around the 6-7m mark rather than the 10m mark, or it may have fallen to it's lowest point already and it'll steady off now. But as long as it stays around a relatively decent figure (and I think it will) it will have a shelf life.

In comparison, I think The X Factor will tumble Big Brother style - maybe not over the next couple of years but I don't think it'll be around come 2020. There's only so many joke singers that can keep people drawn in and the panel has to work to give it seemingly any momentum whatsoever.

It depends if Cowell is prepared to let this happen. He has had an illustrious last eight years and I can't see him wanting to keep shows that aren't top of the ratings. However, if BGT is still making money and is bigger than TXF, I can imagine that staying.
    TXF lost 12 pc of its audience last season, and should it tumble by 12 pc over its next seasons, you are looking at half the audience gone by 2014 and I imagine if it falls behind BGT and the offerings on BBC One then it will go. Ten years is a good run for any show.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Harry Potter gets 8.5m and beats all three stinkers in BBC1's emperor's new clothes line up as viewers send their verdict to Danny Cohen with their remotes.

I liked Sherlock.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What, Louie Spence is co-hosting DOI? What kind of insanity is this!

ALthough I like Louie Spence as a person his flamoyant act has worn thin.

And Christine Bleakly seems to have worked best when she was seen as a bit of exotic rough for the BBC1 crowd, combined with uber-bit-of-rough Adrian Chiles it was a dynamic pairing for The One SHow.

On ITV she seems posh for some reason.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Dancing on Ice may struggle this year, not only will it be the latest ITV reality show to see a change to its line up, it also has to make viewers like Christine Bleakey and Louis Spence, which is no easy task. Louis Spence is also 2 years too late, its not like when he was at the height of his "fame" 2 years back, and much to the annoyance of viewers appearing regularly on TV Burp.

With Osam Bin Larden now dead, Christine is pretty much public enemy #1 at the moment.

I think she has messed up on Daybreak, but that's a breakfast show only a small percentage of people ever see and most people still remember her as the girl from TOS. DOI is a good concept and Christine is more suited to peak time entertainment so I can#t see this failing.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

And Christine Bleakly seems to have worked best when she was seen as a bit of exotic rough for the BBC1 crowd, combined with uber-bit-of-rough Adrian Chiles it was a dynamic pairing for The One SHow.

No, Louis' a judge. Philip Schofield is still co-hosting.

EDIT: How on earth is Robbie going to react when the ratings come in and Harry Potter's been defeated by BBC One? And is this the first time he's ever wanted ITV1 to take BBC One to the cleaners (outside of the Don't Scare The Hare stage).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Lancashire born and bred and still live here. I can assure you EE does not play second fiddle to Corrie.

It's a distant third, behind Emmerdale which seems to have just as devoted a following as Corrie.
    Corrie appeals to Northerners and old people. It's never been as popular with younger viewers than EastEnders. When I was at school/college EastEnders, Brookside, Home & Away and Neighbours were the soaps people watched. Corrie & Emmerdale never got a look in.
    Massive disappointment from BBC1 tonight. As miserable an episode of Eastenders as I have ever seen, padded out to 70 tortuous minutes.
    You're probably right. I didn't watch it.
    An utterly incomprehensible and turgid episode of Sherlock, much too clever for it's own good, which makes me wonder what all the fuss was about.
    No. It made sense if you concentrated.
    Then an almost laugh free episode of AbFab which wasn't a patch on the Christmas Day one.
    The earlier ones were better.
    I hope ITV1 has taken them to the cleaners.

Robbie! Contact the mods. GeorgeS has hacked your account! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Never really took to Dancing On Ice. It's like a lesser Strictly to me.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobbieSykes123 stop saying stupid things, honestly some of your posts tonight have not borrowed on the absurd, they have been disrespectful.

re: North/South, Given that the whole of the UK is north of the Equator, you could say that we are all in the north.

Disrespectful? From a man who has just equated Christine Bleakly with Bin Laden? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Louis' a judge. Philip Schofield is still co-hosting.

EDIT: How on earth is Robbie going to react when the ratings come in and Harry Potter's been defeated by BBC One? And is this the first time he's ever wanted ITV1 to take BBC One to the cleaners (outside of the Don't Scare The Hare stage).

I'm more objective than some people on here give me credit for, the anti itv stuff gets.logged by george and his supporters but nobody even notices when I slag the bbc off, all part of the itv love in on here, it will get.worse when itv start winning again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more objective than some people on here give me credit for, the anti itv stuff gets.logged by george and his supporters but nobody even notices when I slag the bbc off, all part of the itv love in on here, it will get.worse when itv start winning again

The thing is I notice you slag off the BBC as well...you just hardly ever praise ITV - that's where the bias lies. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if Sherlock did hold off Potter tonight, I suspect it will be crushed by ITV's combination of DOI and Wild at Heart next week. Even if tonights had lived up to the.substantial hype, it would still have lost out to the toughest competition it has yet faced next week. With Royal Bodyguard about to tank big style in the ratings tomorrow, the next week wI'll give Cohen He's toughest start to the year I am sure of that.

Robbie whilst a BBC One fanboy at times.
    Overall you do specifically either hate or love certain things.

Why are you sooo against Sherlock? GeorgeS hasn't hacked you has he? Cause that'd be bad.

BBC One has a strong line up - Sherlock will be up next year without HP. ITV's line up is rather fatigued in comparison.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    grimshaw wrote: »
    Why are you sooo against Sherlock? .

He is Trying to dampen down expectations for BBC ONE and Increase them for ITV1;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you just hardly ever praise ITV

I like Lewis.

And Duty Free was good.

And what was that period drama set in an old house with the posh toffs and the teddy bear? Forgot the name, I was only little when it was on.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    He is Trying to dampen down expectations for BBC ONE and Increase them for ITV1;)

:rolleyes:

BBC 1 pissed all over its own expectations tonight, it certainly pissed i down in eastEnders! :D

Actually, i am a pit pissed myself, i should probably go to bed now/ :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:

BBC 1 pissed all over its own expectations tonight, it certainly pissed i down in eastEnders! :D

Actually, i am a pit pissed myself, i should probably go to bed now/ :o

But you covered it up so well. :D

EDIT: On Lewis, Duty Free and Downton Abbey with a teddy bear...that's why I said 'hardly ever'. ;)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Is the NYE stuff broadcast live in all time zones are delayed as usual, so viewers in LA see NY celebrate midnight the same itme they do?

On tape delay for the rest of the country. I believe it's tape delayed delayed in the Central timezone as well (they usually get live broadcasts).
    Didn't it start out on NBC in the US. Did they even show a full series?

Yes but they aired it at 8pm on Sundays over the summer and it never did particularly well so they passed it on to their sister channel, SyFy which they probably ought to have done from the start.
    It'll be interesting to see the Simon Cowell affect as he's returning to the panel. I don't think it'll be down this year; personally I think it'll be up ever so slightly.

His departure didn't seem to hurt it too much so I doubt his return will make a huge difference. The panel was pretty good last year, the problem was the talent. And there's no sign of ITV moving away from the current scheduling of the live shows, they even decided to use it on new shows to even more disasterous effect - they best hope BBC1 doesn't put anything good on at 9pm!

America's Got Talent is getting a general revamp this year - new graphics, theme music and so on as well as changing to 4 judges and moving to New York. Wouldn't be surprised to see changes for BGT as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    America's Got Talent is getting a general revamp this year - new graphics, theme music and so on as well as changing to 4 judges and moving to New York. Wouldn't be surprised to see changes for BGT as well.

I'm not sure if they'll take the risk with Britain's Got Talent this year - as you say it held up fine in comparison to The X Factor and they won't want to take unneccesary risks; not with the singing contest in such a delicate state, relatively speaking. They have to change the panel but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept everything else the same for one more year and pile all revamp ideas into The X Factor to try and give it a boost and get people talking about it again.
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobbieSykes123 stop saying stupid things..

re: North/South, Given that the whole of the UK is north of the Equator, you could say that we are all in the north.
    Hmm, you pull Robbie down and then go on to say something even more bizarre/extreme!

:confused:
    :eek:
    :)
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno what Robbie was watching but both Sherlock and Ab Fab were brilliant, I hope it gets over 9m tonight. Will be interesting if there is a third series given that Martin Freeman has The Hobbit but I imagine they'll schedule another gap to let him film it.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just woke up, figured I would check in, Eastenders was gloomy yes, Sherlock was slow to get going. I don't think it will affect the ratings too much, Harry Potter was on from 7.00-9.45, without decent lead-in. BBC1 have nothing to worry about, they will rate 8m+ during HP on the other side. It doesn't matter how unfunny Absolutely Fabulous was, with the loyal viewers it has it is going to beat The Unforgettable..John Thaw by a good 2 million viewers. I actually think the Monday night battle will be competitive indeed - but a narrow win for ITV1.
    My estimates for Monday
    BBC1
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 5.0m
    EastEnders 9.1m
    EastEnders: Farewell Pat 4.7m
    The Royal Bodyguard 5.2m
    Mrs Brown's Boys 6.0m
    News 5.5m
    Match of the Day 4.5m
    ITV1
    Emmerdale 6.9m
    Coronation Street 8.8m
    Cornwall with Caroline Quentin 3.7m
    Coronation Street 8.9m
    Endeavour 5.5m
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like The Royal Bodyguard won't be recommissioned but the BBC are desperate to keep David Jason on side and will be discussing other projects with him, according to the Express today (Monday).
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Why on EARTH would anyone get worked up about whether ITV win or the BBC wins? As long as you enjoy the programme who cares what channel it's on. Millions love Sherlock. Millions will love DOI so it doesn't matter. None of us here work for either channels i dont know why some people here get so obsessed, constantly slagging channels and bringing up figures. Its quite sad tbh.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Why on EARTH would anyone get worked up about whether ITV win or the BBC wins? As long as you enjoy the programme who cares what channel it's on. Millions love Sherlock. Millions will love DOI so it doesn't matter. None of us here work for either channels i dont know why some people here get so obsessed, constantly slagging channels and bringing up figures. Its quite sad tbh.

Well this is The Ratings Thread and for whatever reason some posters are very 'passionate' about it. I don't watch a lot of ITV1 output, but the programmes I do watch are good quality usually. I think as a nation we expect BBC1 to be better, because we finance it directly. As long as BBC1 continues to win most evenings in primetime - the thread will continue to be a mostly happy one. :D

Looking forward to the overnights, I wonder how Harry Potter did up against a strong BBC1 evening last night?
  • Options
    morph1970morph1970 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    People are being very quick to say what a flop The Royal Bodyguard is, and how it won't be reccommissioned, but the simple fact is there has been ONE episode so far... And it was a hit with more than 7 million viewers. I'll laugh my arse off if the final figure is 8.5 million and the second episode does similar numbers. Not because I think it's any good, but because I think it would show up some of you lot on this thread! :D
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    morph1970 wrote: »
    People are being very quick to say what a flop The Royal Bodyguard is, and how it won't be reccommissioned, but the simple fact is there has been ONE episode so far... And it was a hit with more than 7 million viewers.

Just because people watched it doesn't mean they thought it was good.
This discussion has been closed.