Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

I think exactly the same as I do about the BBC website article. I hope the others will do new articles. The Guardian I would hope would do so because they are professionals. The Telegraph may well because Downton Abbey is of much interest to its readers. RTE? I know very little about them and how often they update.

One big difference though - the BBC has a vested interest in only reporting the part of the story that shows them "winning". Writing articles about yourself is always dangerous because you have to apply the same principles as you would if you were writing about another organisation. The BBC has a vested interest in giving the impression that EastEnders' December 25th episode won the ratings battle. Let's hope the hardworking, talented people in BBC News apply the proper principles and report the not=such-good news as well as the good...
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope the hardworking, talented people in BBC News apply the proper principles and report the not=such-good news as well as the good...

And let's hope that's your last word on the subject. :D

Can we have our Ratings Thread back now?
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    For anyone just joining us, a quick summary of the day's two big stories...

1) Harry Potter premiere trounced by EastEnders and Sherlock in the New Year's Day overnights - full data for yesterday here and here.
    2) Official data reveals Downton Abbey to be the most watched programme on Christmas Day on first showing, topping all BBC One programmes and achieving a record-breaking timeshift audience. Details here.

What about 3) the inaccurate BBC News headline? :eek:

:D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can i ask what did Match of the day 2 and Bolt get yesterday?

Bolt: 4.26m (19.6%). I'm not sure about Match Of The Day 2.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=55639728&postcount=2725
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And let's hope that's your last word on the subject. :D

Can we have our Ratings Thread back now?

It's not your thread. Deal with it, son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will ITV1 do in regards to The Half Blood Prince? It recorded a dreadful audience yesterday and I think everyone expected it to pull in at least 1m more viewers. Could it have a quick turn around and aired in midweek slot in the near future?
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    What will ITV1 do in regards to The Half Blood Prince? It recorded a dreadful audience yesterday and I think everyone expected it to pull in at least 1m more viewers. Could it have a quick turn around and aired in midweek slot in the near future?
    I think in a Sunday 6.30-9pm slot in December, possibly up against SPOTY just like what happened in 2010, a Half Blood Prince repeat could pick up around 6m viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    I think in a Sunday 6.30-9pm slot in December, possibly up against SPOTY just like what happened in 2010, a Half Blood Prince repeat could pick up around 6m viewers.

Will they have The Deathly Hallows Part One ready to air next Christmas? That may be worth lining up opposite SPOTY with Half Blood Prince given another slot as it's simply a repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was surprised it was so low. But maybe everyone who's interested has it on DVD and those who weren't interested enough to go to the cinema or buy the DVD, well, they're still not interested. I think it was quite long, two and three-quarter hours with adverts - which is a long evening in front of the TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised it was so low. But maybe everyone who's interested has it on DVD and those who weren't interested enough to go to the cinema or buy the DVD, well, they're still not interested. I think it was quite long, two and three-quarter hours with adverts - which is a long evening in front of the TV.

Films such as Harry Potter are seemingly now much better as good filler against weaker opposition instead of being used as a spoiler against a top soap and miuch awaited returning drama. Most of BBC's strong film ratings have come against lesser opposition.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Have they changed the headline then? It says "EastEnders wins Christmas Day TV ratings battle" now which is 100% correct and unrefutable.

Even so, EastEnders did win the TV ratings battle also. Going by overnight data, as stated in the article!

In terms of the overnight raw figures, EastEnders did indeed win the Xmas Day TV ratings battle.

But that was a super timeshift for Downton, Ab Fab, Michael McIntyre and Corrie. Brilliant really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Films such as Harry Potter are seemingly now much better as good filler against weaker opposition instead of being used as a spoiler against a top soap and miuch awaited returning drama. Most of BBC's strong film ratings have come against lesser opposition.

I suppose the days of watching film premieres on TV are gone, really. They're available to buy so soon and so cheaply that few people have to wait for a premiere on one of the main channels, especially when they've been on subscription channels or pay-as-you-go services.

I suspect it would have done better against Don't Scare the Hare etc...
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »

I wonder how it'd do on a Sunday in November/December leading into The X Factor, running from 5:15-8pm. Films were picking up some big audiences for C4/5 in similar slots last year IIRC and I think HBP could get a good 6m there. The clash with SCD would be pretty minimal and HBP ould have a good head start on it,
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV1 will be back on top tonight, last night will just be a bad memory for them. Of course HP could timeshift 3.4m and give them a respectable rating :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    ITV1 will be back on top tonight, last night will just be a bad memory for them. Of course HP could timeshift 3.4m and give them a respectable rating :D

Now that made me laugh. I expect they'd still be a bit disappointed though.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,766
    Forum Member
    Do people not have anything else to do? 19 pages before 9pm is just too much, may have to bow out now.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I think we can say about the 3.47 million timeshift from overnights to officials for Downton Abbey is that I think that is a one-off and is not something we will see again for a very, very long time.

I think that was a rare occurrence because of the nature of the clash. Both programmes were in late-primetime where the hours left in the day meant that one was going to be watched on the day and one was to be watched later in the day.

I bet if Downton Abbey and EastEnders for the sake of argument both started at 6pm, Downton would not have timeshifted 3.47 million because its overnight would have been higher. It was only the circumstances that meant record timeshifting for Downton.

3 million timeshifts are not all of a sudden going to become a regular occurrence, and will only happen in my opinion when there is a huge clash such as this in the future. Most timeshifts have been between 1 million and 2 million - that won't all of a sudden change.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid you're wrong. You can't use a line in the article to stand up a statement in the headline. Not in law. The statement that EastEnders won the TV ratings battle is incorrect,

I'm surprised people are making such a fuss. Articles are updated all the time when new information comes to light.

Do people believe any old statement if it's what they want to read?

What laws are you even talking about? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Do people not have anything else to do? 19 pages before 9pm is just too much, may have to bow out now.

You haven't missed much, in summary some shows timeshifted really well. BBC1 won Sunday night easily, HP collapsed.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    One thing I think we can say about the 3.47 million timeshift from overnights to officials for Downton Abbey is that I think that is a one-off and is not something we will see again for a very, very long time.

I think that was a rare occurrence because of the nature of the clash. Both programmes were in late-primetime where the hours left in the day meant that one was going to be watched on the day and one was to be watched later in the day.

I bet if Downton Abbey and EastEnders for the sake of argument both started at 6pm, Downton would not have timeshifted 3.47 million because its overnight would have been higher. It was only the circumstances that meant record timeshifting for Downton.

3 million timeshifts are not all of a sudden going to become a regular occurrence, and will only happen in my opinion when there is a huge clash such as this in the future. Most timeshifts have been between 1 million and 2 million - that won't all of a sudden change.

My guess is that it will happen again next Christmas
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    What laws are you even talking about? :confused:

oh please dont encourage her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

Please remember that this is a public forum and I have as much right to post here as anyone else. If you don't like that - that is your problem.

It's very childish to complain because someone posts an opposing viewpoint. I shall post when I want, unless a moderator tells me not to.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

Please remember that this is a public forum and I have as much right to post here as anyone else. If you don't like that - that is your problem.

It's very childish to complain because someone posts an opposing viewpoint. I shall post when I want, unless a moderator tells me not to.

If you want childish I think you should take a look at yourself. Anyway, we all get the point, you've made it enough times now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone can post anything ratings related, shall we move the topic along to something else? Did you know we have a Ratings Prediction Game also?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »

If you want childish I think you should take a look at yourself. Anyway, we all get the point, you've made it enough times now.

And I shall make it whenever I want. Again, you don't decide who posts on this thread, or what they post. I'm staggered that this is news to some people....
This discussion has been closed.