Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2011 Season: The Verdict (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,117
    Forum Member
    But remember the teams get extra money guaranteed if they go down the Pay-TV avenue. It was said around the time the deal was signed that each team is guaranteed an extra £1m.

See if it was an extra £10m or something like that, I could at least consider understanding the whole "we get more money now" argument, as certainly to some of the lower teams, an extra £10m for example would make some sort of difference, but £1m? I mean yeah it might be a little help to someone like HRT, but to Ferrari for example, £1m is nothing more than being given a little bit of money for your birthday every year from your relatives.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV King wrote: »
    Please can anyone help answer my qustions?

I also forgot to ask if anyone knows what Katherine Legge is doing this year 2012?
    She'll most probably be in Indycar, Recent speculation suggest's she's close to signing a Multi-Year deal (2 years with an option for a 3rd).

I was going to say this, but thought it was still embargoed...
    On the subject of Indycar, Beaux Barfield will be the replacment for Brian Barnhart as race director. He held that position in the ALMS the past 4 years.
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-barfield-hired-to-replace-barnhart-as-race-director/

As was that.
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    excellent! I am a prophet :D

Some people believe Arthur C Clarke was a prophet. Some believe the inventions he predicted only happened because inventors read his books.
    And will Martin Byford still be driving in the BTCC for AmD Milltek Racing.com who use the VW Golf GTI MK5?

Will AmD still be using the Golf even...
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,685
    Forum Member
    That is great new about about Katherine Legge if she does sign a multi year deal to drive in Indycars again.

I always felt sorry for Katherine Legge when she was in DTM as she was always give the oldest of the Auldi A4s so she was unable to show just how good she really is but DTMs loss is Indycars gain.

It will be great watching Indycars this year on Sky Sports HD4 as I will be able to cheer on Justin Willson who will be returning to Indycars after his accident at Mid-Ohio and Katherine Legge.

Except Justin Wilson currently hasn't got a deal in place after having been widely expected to take over the Andretti Autosport ride that has just been given to Hinchcliffe
    (Good luck Hinch, I'm a fan but....stop making so many mistakes! :o )

As for it being a great year for Indycar....you haven't seen the new car have you?

It will either be exactly the same old dull racing on road courses/artificial pack racing on ovals or possibly one of the worst seasons they've ever had....
    And sweet hasmana, is it ugly...
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Will AmD still be using the Golf even...

Embargoed? :p

Also has the BTCC decided on its commentator for 2012 yet?

And is that embargoed too? :D
  • Options
    stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Searched "WRC UK" on Twitter and came across the following:

@pace_notes
    @arnagewrc Will WRC be on UK TV is the question we have to ask :( ESPN contract ended and no new comers. But who could blame them!
    https://twitter.com/#!/pace_notes/status/154517683289853952

@ArnageWRC
    @pace_notes @andrew_coley Would appear not - itv4 advert for 2012 sports didn't include WRC.....MotorsTV will have to do...
    https://twitter.com/#!/ArnageWRC/status/154521867028402176

@ArnageWRC
    @harrismonkey @MudSnowandTar Yes, however, due to WRC's lack of profile, it isn't likely to be a problem. If it had been F1, a 5hitstorm..
    https://twitter.com/#!/ArnageWRC/status/154536470265339904

@pace_notes
    @andrew_coley ESPN contract has finished. Word was ITV 4 was going to take it. But dont think so anymore.
    https://twitter.com/#!/pace_notes/status/154519460257079296
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not good news for WRC. Surely someone will pick it up?

Interesting spot in the 2012 Sporting Regulations released today: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/FE4C9612DB18AD8BC125797B00344B65/$FILE/1-2012%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%2007-12-2011.pdf
    For the avoidance of doubt, personnel whose duties are solely connected with catering, media or marketing are exempt from the above [curfew] requirements

I think beforehand, journalists were not allowed in outside of the curfew, but now they are, obviously meaning Sky can broadcast live regardless of what the time is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Constanduros
    Today we should know about who will be showing/filming WRC.... and in other TV news, hear BBC are to have a 2nd analyst at live races...
    2 minutes ago

Either I've missed Ben's point, or that means Coulthard is doing commentary only, splitting up the Jake/David/Eddie combo for live races.

Wonder who it is, and if this ties in with Jake's "great news".
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

For the avoidance of doubt, personnel whose duties are solely connected with catering, media or marketing are exempt from the above [curfew] requirements

The word 'solely' is to stop teams hiring over qualified cooks. ;) Heard of some teams were hiring media types who just happen to be highly qualified mechanics! lol.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Constanduros
    Today we should know about who will be showing/filming WRC.... and in other TV news, hear BBC are to have a 2nd analyst at live races...
    2 minutes ago

Either I've missed Ben's point, or that means Coulthard is doing commentary only, splitting up the Jake/David/Eddie combo for live races.

Wonder who it is, and if this ties in with Jake's "great news".

That'd be Jake's bit of embargoed news then! ;)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    honestly mate you've made your point now, please stop spamming this BROADCASTING thread with off topic conversation. cheers.

I fail to see how it's "off-topic" or "spam" to tell this truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Constanduros
    @Dan_The_ManF1 I will be disowned by my father if i do, but rest assured its a well respected man of british motorsport.
    1 minute ago via web

If I was to guess, I would guess Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill or John Watson. Maybe Watson given that Edwards is commentating.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,727
    Forum Member
    Maybe Ben means a second pit reporter rather than analyst? Seeing as he reads this thread he could just clear up the confusion himself :D
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,117
    Forum Member
    I think beforehand, journalists were not allowed in outside of the curfew, but now they are, obviously meaning Sky can broadcast live regardless of what the time is.

I think you're getting confused. I don't believe that last year any broadcasters or journalists were bound by the curfew, it was purely for the teams, nobody else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Ben means a second pit reporter rather than analyst? Seeing as he reads this thread he could just clear up the confusion himself :D

Probably. But I don't know of "a well respected man of british motorsport" that would fit the pit reporter role well. Maybe John Watson, but I couldn't imagine anyone else in that category fitting the role.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    I think you're getting confused. I don't believe that last year any broadcasters or journalists were bound by the curfew, it was purely for the teams, nobody else.

Must be my old age, already. :o
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,845
    Forum Member
    Since analyst can also refer to commentary, I was thinking 3 man commentary team ie Ben Edwards, John Watson, David Coulthard.

Considering the fact Wattie has already been a regular on BBC news reports I wouldnt be at all surprised
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Since analyst can also refer to commentary, I was thinking 3 man commentary team ie Ben Edwards, John Watson, David Coulthard.

Considering the fact Wattie has already been a regular on BBC news reports I wouldnt be at all surprised

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a box.. Ok, cant think of a good joke for now, but i do think DC would be a bit outclassed and a third wheel in that setup. Maybe the BBC are readying themselves for when DC jumps ship.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    3 man commentary team would be a very interesting twist and would make the BBC offering stand out from the SKY line up
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,727
    Forum Member
    Probably. But I don't know of "a well respected man of british motorsport" that would fit the pit reporter role well. Maybe John Watson, but I couldn't imagine anyone else in that category fitting the role.

Maybe a look to the past, Jonathan Palmer or Tony Jardine...

It seems Bernie's taken away the free live timing app. You've got to pay £20 now for the other one
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are looking for a sponsor for their F1 coverage. This is a pretty detailed document, which includes the channel's air times;
    During all 20 race weeks throughout the 2012 season, the channel will
    be on-air for 63 hours, with a schedule as follows:

Monday to Thursday: 20:00 - 23:00
    Friday – Sunday: 07:00 - 24:00

Race specific coverage will run as detailed below:

Fridays: Practice 1: 2:05 hrs, Practice 2: 1:55 hrs.
    Saturdays: Practice 3: 1:30 hrs, Qualifying 2:45 hrs.
    Sundays: Live Race action: 4:30 hrs.

Between March 9 and November 30, non-race week F1 coverage
    will be running for 32 hours each week, transmitting at the following
    times:

Monday to Thursday: 20:00 – 23:00
    Friday: 19:00 – 23:00
    Saturday & Sunday: 15:00 – 23:00

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads/1269/F1%202012%20Sales%20proposal%20(1).pdf

Suggests a launch in and around March 9th.

Also includes some audience estimates for shared and exclusive races.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so there we go, will be on every day but as expected isn't going to be a 24/7 channel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So for a typical F1 European race, we can expect the following schedule:

Fridays
    08:40 to 10:45 - Practice 1
    12:50 to 14:45 - Practice 2

Saturdays
    09:45 to 11:15 - Practice 3
    12:00 to 14:45 - Qualifying

Sundays
    11:30 to 16:00 - Race

Can't help but feel a bit disappointed that the channel will only be running for 3 hours though each day in the build-up to race weekends, so we can eliminate any chance of Thursday press conference and the such like being shown.
  • Options
    stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 man commentary team would be a very interesting twist and would make the BBC offering stand out from the SKY line up

I'm not expecting a 3 person commentary team as Ben's tweet states that the analyst will only be at the races that are broadcast live.

Regardless of this it would be surprising to me if there was a 3 person team anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Audience Estimates
    F1 Show - 290k
    Practice - 370k
    Qualifying - 1.12m (exclusive) / 420k (shared)
    Race - 1.34m (exclusive) / 500k (shared)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't help but feel a bit disappointed that the channel will only be running for 3 hours though each day in the build-up to race weekends, so we can eliminate any chance of Thursday press conference and the such like being shown.

3 hours is still a lot, only so much f1 content you can show before you run out of stuff to show, not sure why you are ruling out thursday press conferences "and the such like" from being shown that night either...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 hours is still a lot, only so much f1 content you can show before you run out of stuff to show, not sure why you are ruling out thursday press conferences "and the such like" from being shown that night either...

True, but I think they should be on air for longer on Thursday's, unless they are planning on having live stuff on Sky Sports News too.

Besides, that schedule of 07:00 to 24:00 will only be accurate for European timezone races, that can't be the times for the flyaways, Australia will run a totally different schedule.

Also, March 9th and November 30th are both Friday's, so March 9th is when the channel opens presumably, and November 30th is when it shuts down for Winter?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Audience Estimates
    F1 Show - 290k
    Practice - 370k
    Qualifying - 1.12m (exclusive) / 420k (shared)
    Race - 1.34m (exclusive) / 500k (shared)

Interesting that Sky expects well over 50% of its audience to "defect" to BBC for shared races.

Can you explain the numbers in the other columns of the table?

How come the numbers for "ABC1 Men" and "Men" are higher than the total for all individuals "Inds"?
This discussion has been closed.