Options

Cameron - Pro Scottish Independence?

duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
Forum Member
✭✭
Nothing guaranteed more than a London tory trying to tell Scots what to do, to ensure a YES vote in any referendum;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2083665/You-quit-UK-approval-David-Cameron-warns-Scots-First-Minister-Alex-Salmond-pushes-referendum.html

Alex should give him a call to thank him personally. :D

Comments

• Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why, he's not said anything??

It's just the paper saying stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanr74 wrote: »

That'll be why I put a question mark in the title. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should make one about Salmond saying he is pro-union, because he never said that either. What a strange thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    should make one about Salmond saying he is pro-union, because he never said that either. What a strange thread.

Merely passing on what is being reported.

What on earth is strange about that? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merely passing on what is being reported.

What on earth is strange about that? :confused:

but nothing has been reported. It's a paper making a headline from nothing.

You've then used a non story, to say Cameron is helping with the breakup of the union, even though he's said nothing. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I have posed a question (as the question mark kind of hints at) and then I have speculated that any such intervention would assist the YES vote.

At NO TIME have I suggested that Cameron has said anything.

There is an article in an online newspaper which has been written by a reporter.

By definition IT HAS BEEN REPORTED :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I have posed a question (as the question mark kind of hints at) and then I have speculated that any such intervention would assist the YES vote.

At NO TIME have I suggested that Cameron has said anything.

There is an article in an online newspaper which has been written by a reporter.

By definition IT HAS BEEN REPORTED :p

yes you have. You implied in your subject and initial post that Cameron has said that. He's not said anything; nothing has changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes you have. You implied in your subject and initial post that Cameron has said that. He's not said anything; nothing has changed.

Only in your own wee world. I said nothing of the sort.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant see the point of a referendum.. if scotland send nothing but snp mps to westminster at the next general election that would be a loud enough 'yes' for independence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

cameron on telly this morning saying things about the paper saying stuff..
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    cant see the point of a referendum.. if scotland send nothing but snp mps to westminster at the next general election that would be a loud enough 'yes' for independence

If there's any chicanery re the referendum on independence, that may well be the outcome at the next GE.

Why are the unionists squirming so much and trying to load the dice unfairly, in order to scupper the free will of the Scottish people, if they are so sure the Scots will say no and Scotland is allegedly a drain on England?

Any move made to de-legalise the right of Scots to be balloted about independence, will be counter-productive.

Could the Labour party sit back and accept such a move? It would be electoral suicide.

The SNP would become THE one party in Scotland and Holyrood and Westminster would never be at peace. How could such a constitutional crisis be good for the Union?
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The unionists used that argument about Holyrood with the argument 'if the people return a majority of SNP MSPs' .Now that has happened it moves to 'all MPs'.

Why do unionists want to have elections on one issue only? Is there a fear they have no policies and so want to try and divert the electorate?

The only way to answer the question of do the people of Scotland want to become an independent nation again is to hold a referendum. The only party who proposed this was the SNP and they were blocked at every turn by the three unionist parties working together.

The referendum will be held in the second half of this Holyrood parliament, as stated in the successful campaign that brought an unprecedented majority for the SNP.

These attempts to hijack this by the unionists show they have no interest in the people of Scotland and continue to act in self interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yo Alan!

Is this being said, reported or just a figment of the BBC imagination as well? :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16460187
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yo Alan!

Is this being said, reported or just a figment of the BBC imagination as well? :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16460187

ok, bugger off :p I apologise in a way :)

It still is a bit different. He' basically saying you scots should know by now the date and the question. Well at least what the initial date and question would be.

He's still not bloody pro-independence :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It still is a bit different. He' basically saying you scots should know by now the date and the question. Well at least what the initial date and question would be.

Oh I know what he's saying old boy, but my original point is still there.

He's damned near guaranteed that a lot of folks will vote Yes.

We (the Scottish people) have 1 MP and only 4 MSPs elected in FPTP, from his party

Yet here we have this cheeky bugger deciding that we do not have the right to determine when we decide our own future?

Any more of his shite, and we'll be digging up the claymores and heading South.
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But by trying to control what Scotland says and when it says it, he is handing the SNP votes on a plate. He maybe pro union but his actions will work against the very thing he is for, he obviously doesn't understand the Scots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Cameron claims the Scottish Parliament can't decide when to hold a referendum. Were I Salmond I would not hold back due to this at all.
    What is Cameron going to do about it if he does?
    Send in the troops to stop people voting?
    Hardly.

All he can do is refuse to recognise the result.
    If the result goes in Salmond's favour on a high turnout then that would play right into Salmond's hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    But by trying to control what Scotland says and when it says it, he is handing the SNP votes on a plate. He maybe pro union but his actions will work against the very thing he is for, he obviously doesn't understand the Scots.

they dont like being dictated to by a tory
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they dont like being dictated to by a tory

They do not like being dictated to by anybody.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So is it just the wording of the referendum that is at stake? Or is the timing the main issue?

Downing Street maintains that Westminster’s power over referendums was established in the Scotland Act of 1998. The Prime Minister wants the referendum to be run by the Electoral Commission to ensure it is fair. Mr Salmond wants to offer two choices in it: an independent Scotland, or a slightly watered-down version.

Mr Cameron favours a single, straightforward ‘In or Out of the UK’ question.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    So is it just the wording of the referendum that is at stake? Or is the timing the main issue?

Downing Street maintains that Westminster’s power over referendums was established in the Scotland Act of 1998. The Prime Minister wants the referendum to be run by the Electoral Commission to ensure it is fair. Mr Salmond wants to offer two choices in it: an independent Scotland, or a slightly watered-down version.

Mr Cameron favours a single, straightforward ‘In or Out of the UK’ question.

it is not Cameron's call, in Scotland the people are sovereign and they have spoken , they voted in an SNP administration with the mandate to call a referendum
  • Options
    GordonTheGoatGordonTheGoat Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Good on Cameron I say. Scotland leaving the UK would be a disaster for them and he has called Salmond's bluff here.

A ref on staying will happen and Scotland will opt to stay. This much is obvious. This is also why those wanting independance are now furious because they know its not going to happen.
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on Cameron I say. Scotland leaving the UK would be a disaster for them and he has called Salmond's bluff here.

A ref on staying will happen and Scotland will opt to stay. This much is obvious. This is also why those wanting independance are now furious because they know its not going to happen.

There is no bluff to call. The timing of the referendum was clearly stated in the election that brought an unprecedented majority for the SNP.

Why are the unionists finding this so difficult to grasp? All they prove is how little election promises mean to them, as if people were not already aware of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    They do not like being dictated to by anybody.

i had a flashback to my youth.. an elderly lady at a reception desk prodded my colleague, who was only trying to be helpful, with her brolly and uttered the words ' i will not be dictated too by a tory'.. funny because he was a union rep.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had a flashback to my youth.. an elderly lady at a reception desk prodded my colleague, who was only trying to be helpful, with her brolly and uttered the words ' i will not be dictated too by a tory'.. funny because he was a union rep.. :D
    Let's hope this is the fate of David Cameron if he comes up to
    dictate to the people of Scotland.:D

I can just see a legion of old ladies armed to the teeth with brollies, walking sticks, zimmers and the mobile troops in mobility trikes taking on the pro unionists from down south. Battle of Sauchiehall street anyone?:D