Options

212 in 2012

Comments

• Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    InsideSoap wrote: »
    1. Mini Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella 5/5 - LOVED IT. Probably my favourite of the series and a pleasure to read from start to finish. Read most of it standing on the till in work over the bank holiday but I just could not put it down. I hope the wait isn't too long for the next instalment.

2. Secret Seven Fireworks - Enid Blyton 4/5 - I'm purposely rereading kids books like Blyton and Roald Dahl to help me reach anywhere near 150 books. Just because they can be read in one sitting and it's nice to be reminded of reading them when I was younger.

3. A Week at the Airport - Alain De Botton 3/5 - Described as 'An uplifting and unique journey through the days and nights of the UK's largest airport'. It was an okay read.

4. Puzzle for the Secret Seven - Enid Blyton 4/5

5. Silent Scream - Lynda La Plante 4/5 - Excellent book, which I read just before (but not knowing about) the TV version being shown on ITV. I really enjoyed the book which is the fifth Anna Travis book and I would say one of the best. As always with Lynda's books though it could have been shorter.

6. Can't Anyone Help Me? - Jackie Holmes with Toni Maguire 5/5 - A difficult read about a girl (Jackie) who was abused and sold to paedophiles by her uncle and then becoming a prostitute living on the streets addicted to drugs. This was a book which again could have done with less pages but one that I would recommend.

7. I Heart New York - Lindsey Kelk 5/5 - Fantastic book. I read it in 24 hours because I couldn't put it down. Also it's a series of books so I can't wait to start I Heart Hollywood once I've finished the books I'm currently reading.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    4) It Started with a Kiss - Miranda Dickinson

I really enjoyed reading this book, she has released 3 so far...I am already looking forward to her next book!
  • Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9) The Millionaire's Nanny - Carol Grace
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    4. The Dress - Sophie Nicholls
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Hi, I'm new to this thread as well, but I'm quite a quick reader and so hoping to reach the target of 212.

So far:

1. The Stepford Wives - Ira Levin
    2. A Kiss Before Dying - Ira Levin
    3. A Spring Affair - Milly Johnson
    4. A Summer Fling - Milly Johnson
    5. The First Wife - Emily Barr
    6. An Autumn Crush - Milly Johnson
    7. Complicit - Nicci French

I've had a good start as I've been off work, but back in this week so won't be so quick now :)
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    1 - The Betrayal Of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate
    2 - Never Have I Ever by Sara Shepard
  • Options
    ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year all. I saw the 211 thread towards the end of last year so did not have a chance to join in. Decided I woudl like to try this year. Would like to try and keep it up all year as it will make a good record.
    My target will be to beat 212. I read quite fast so here goes.
    List so far
    1. Poison Study -Maria Snyder
    2. Magic Study-Maria Snyder
    3. Fire Study - Maris Snyder
    First trilogy in her new world. Recommended by a friend and enjoyed more than I thought I would.
    4. Storm Glass - Maria Snyder
    5. Sea Glass - Maria Snyder
    6. Spy Glass - Maria Snyder
    Second trilogy in same world as above. Good read but similar to above.
    7.A Dance of Cloaks - David Dalglish
    8. A Dance of Blades- David Dalglish
    9. A Dance of Death - David Dalglish
    Very good reads. I downloaded them on Kindle cos they were cheap and thought worth a try. Only problem is didn't find out until the end that this is a prequel series to his original series. Reading the next one now.
    10. The Weight of Blood -David Dalglish
    11. The Cost of Betrayal - David Dalglish

Currently on the 3rd out of 5 for that series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a slow reader. This year my aim is 52. :o
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6. Mossflower - Brian Jaques

Very high death rate for a childrens book!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. The Dress - Sophie Nicholls

Did you like it Grey Butterfly? I wasn't overly impressed - 5/10 for me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10) 16 Lighthouse Road - Debbie Macomber
    11) The Litigators - John Grisham
    12) Around The World in 90 Days - Eddie Allen
  • Options
    SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »

12. Lights Out In Wonderland - DBC Pierre 4/10
    Faber & Faber, 314 pages
    Pierre use this manic allegorical novel to look at the excesses of capitalism and one of its leading decadences… fine dining! Twenty something Gabriel's ideologies take a big hit when his anti-capitalism activism actually starts making money; this the final straw for him and he sets out to end his life after one last binge... which takes him to Tokyo and then Berlin. Too literary for me, or maybe I need to re-read it... nothing like as good as Vernon God Little.

13. The Dark Tower books 8 & 9 - Stephen King, Peter David & Robin Furth 8/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 328 pages
    The Little Sisters of Eluria #1-5, and The Battle of Tull #1-5.. Takes up the Sisters of Eluria novella and then the man, Roland's adventure recounted in 'The Gunslinger' the dark unrelenting Battle of Tull. Robin Furth and co. continue their very good reimagining of the life and times of Roland, The Last Gunslinger.

14. Invincible Iron Man 2010 - 2011 - Matt Fraction & Salvador Larocca 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 659 pages
    Invincible Iron Man #20-33; #500-509, chronicling the rise of the Siege, Stark Resilient, the New Iron Age and the Fear Itself tie-ins sees a more insular book as Stark sets about rebuilding his empire without building weapons. Not as good as the previous books, but still a solid solo Avenger title.

15. Fear Itself: Tie-Ins - Kierron Gillen, Rob Williams, Greg Pak, Abnett & Lanning, Nick Spencer and Jeff Parker etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 533 pages
    From a Fear Itself point of view the Journey Into Mystery series is the must-read.

16. Deadpool MAX volume one - David Lapham 6/10
    MAX comics (Marvel Entertainment) , 278 pages
    Deadpool MAX volume one sees Marvel attempt to make an 'adult' Deadpool series similar to the very successful Punisher MAX series, and not doing that well.. Although the MAX Domino and Baron Zemo, are to die for!

17. Crisis On Infinite Earths: Prologues - Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Paul Levitz, Alan Moore etc. 4/10
    D C Comics, 814 pages
    Spanning most of the DC universe, collecting the mysterious Monitor's pre Crisis On Infinite Earths appearances, from Superman, and Batman through to the likes of the Swamp Thing, Warlock and Amethyst!

18. Booky Wook 2 - Russell Brand 7/10
    HarperCollins, 311 pages
    Brand's sequel to 'My Booky Wook', and in my opinion just as good and just as interesting as well as charting Brand's Hollywood career, it also covers the controversies at the MTV Video Music Awards and the BBC / Andrew Sachs affair. With interesting personal insight on the likes of Morrissey, Puff Daddy and Noel Gallagher, from the obviously intelligent Brand, I found this a really good read... and as Brand followers know the book also covers him finally falling in love (supposedly with Katy Perry) and changing his shagger ways!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    Did you like it Grey Butterfly? I wasn't overly impressed - 5/10 for me!

No I wasn't that impressed, I felt the ending was rushed. It would only be 5/10 for me as well!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,517
    Forum Member
    1) Brighton Rock- Graham Greene (9/10)
    2) Good People- David Lindsay Abaire (8/10)
    3) The Glass Menagerie- Tennessee Williams (6/10)
    4) Cold Comfort Farm- Stella Gibbons (4/10)
    5) Billy Liar- Keith Waterhouse (5/10)
    6) The Slap- Christos Tsiolkas (Not yet finished- up to now, 8/10)
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only discovered the "211 in 2011" thread in about July last year, and whilst I never contributed to that thread, I read 18 books between July and December. I am determined to contribute to this one! So far this year I've only managed to complete one book, though I have another two on the go. :o

1. Lasher - Anne Rice - 8/10
    The sequel to 'The Witching Hour', I got really stuck into this novel from the get go. However, I really struggled towards the end and had to force myself to finish it.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I usually hit over 150, so going for 212 seems like a good target this year!

1. The Wild Ways - Tanya Huff
    2. Whedonistas - Lynne M Thomas & Deborah Stanish (eds)
    3. Dorothy L Sayers - The Centenary Celebration - Alzina Stone Dale
    4. Elisabeth Sladen: the Autobiography - Elisabeth Sladen
    5. Believing The Lie - Elizabeth George

I've just started a 1100-page Peter F Hamilton though, so I'll be slowing down dramatically...
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) The Reedemer- Jo Nesbo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I think I usually hit over 150, so going for 212 seems like a good target this year!

1. The Wild Ways - Tanya Huff
    2. Whedonistas - Lynne M Thomas & Deborah Stanish (eds)
    3. Dorothy L Sayers - The Centenary Celebration - Alzina Stone Dale
    4. Elisabeth Sladen: the Autobiography - Elisabeth Sladen
    5. Believing The Lie - Elizabeth George

I've just started a 1100-page Peter F Hamilton though, so I'll be slowing down dramatically...

I know what you mean! I'm waiting for A Dance with Dragons which wiki puts at 1,022 pages (and I don't find Martin's writing easy to read quickly). Might have to read the Very Hungry Caterpillar to make up for it :D

What did you think of Lis Sladens autobiography? Still can't believe she's gone :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. The Righteous Men - Sam Bourne

Read it in 3 sittings, very engaging. Not the poor copy of Da Vinci Code I was expecting.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Pleasures of a Dark Prince - Kresley Cole
    2. Demon from the Dark - Kresley Cole
    3. Dreams of a Dark Warrior - Kresley Cole
    4. Lothaire - Kresley Cole

I used to think that Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series was overrated compared to similar books, but after reading these last 4, I've changed my mind.
  • Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    13. The Dark Tower books 8 & 9 - Stephen King, Peter David & Robin Furth 8/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 328 pages
    The Little Sisters of Eluria #1-5, and The Battle of Tull #1-5.. Takes up the Sisters of Eluria novella and then the man, Roland's adventure recounted in 'The Gunslinger' the dark unrelenting Battle of Tull. Robin Furth and co. continue their very good reimagining of the life and times of Roland, The Last Gunslinger.

14. Invincible Iron Man 2010 - 2011 - Matt Fraction & Salvador Larocca 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 659 pages
    Invincible Iron Man #20-33; #500-509, chronicling the rise of the Siege, Stark Resilient, the New Iron Age and the Fear Itself tie-ins sees a more insular book as Stark sets about rebuilding his empire without building weapons. Not as good as the previous books, but still a solid solo Avenger title.

15. Fear Itself: Tie-Ins - Kierron Gillen, Rob Williams, Greg Pak, Abnett & Lanning, Nick Spencer and Jeff Parker etc. 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 533 pages
    From a Fear Itself point of view the Journey Into Mystery series is the must-read.

16. Deadpool MAX volume one - David Lapham 6/10
    MAX comics (Marvel Entertainment) , 278 pages
    Deadpool MAX volume one sees Marvel attempt to make an 'adult' Deadpool series similar to the very successful Punisher MAX series, and not doing that well.. Although the MAX Domino and Baron Zemo, are to die for!

17. Crisis On Infinite Earths: Prologues - Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Paul Levitz, Alan Moore etc. 4/10
    D C Comics, 814 pages
    Spanning most of the DC universe, collecting the mysterious Monitor's pre Crisis On Infinite Earths appearances, from Superman, and Batman through to the likes of the Swamp Thing, Warlock and Amethyst!

18. Booky Wook 2 - Russell Brand 7/10
    HarperCollins, 311 pages
    Brand's sequel to 'My Booky Wook', and in my opinion just as good and just as interesting as well as charting Brand's Hollywood career, it also covers the controversies at the MTV Video Music Awards and the BBC / Andrew Sachs affair. With interesting personal insight on the likes of Morrissey, Puff Daddy and Noel Gallagher, from the obviously intelligent Brand, I found this a really good read... and as Brand followers know the book also covers him finally falling in love (supposedly with Katy Perry) and changing his shagger ways!

I'm quite impressed that you've managed to read 18 books in the first 12 days of the year. How do you find the time? :eek:
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Final Fantasy XIII: Episode Zero - Eishima Jun.
    2. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins.
    3. Draculas - Strand, Wilson and Kilborn.
    4. Tinseltown - Victoria Fox.
    5. Blood hunt - Christopher Buecheler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I am another one who found the thread late last year. I estimate that I read around 120 books in 2011 so am aiming for around that number this year too.

1: Clouded Vision - Linwood Barclay
    2: The Redeemer - Jo Nesbo
    3: Trick Of The Dark - Val McDermid
    4: The Retribution - Val McDermid
    5: Headhunters - Jo Nesbo
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off to a good start so far:

1. Critical Error by Murray McDonald - The DS Book Club's espionage book.

2. Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas - During the Great Depression in Middleswan, Colorado, an elderly woman named Hennie befriends a newcomer to the mining town, Nit, who is in desperate need of friendship and guidance. My parents and I listened to this in audiobook format during dinnertimes and it made a nice, calm thing to listen to. the book is a basically a string of stories that Hennie tells Nit, and it's a big longwinded in parts, but it is interesting.

3. The Borrowers (The Borrowers #1 - re-read) by Mary Norton - I adored these books as a kid and I meant to watch them again before the latest TV movie about them, but didn't get around to it. Anyway, I love them and reading the first book again reminded me why. Arrietty, Pod, and Homily Clock are fun characters and the language is so rich and vivid that I don't even need illustrations to imagine the story. However, the illustrations match the story perfectly. A young boy befriends Arrietty while staying at his great-aunt's house in the country, but the housekeeper becomes suspicious. The story is framed by an elderly woman, Mrs. May, telling a young girl how her brother had met the Borrowers, and I can't remember anymore how or if that framing story is continued in the other books, so I'm curious to find that out.
  • Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok new to the thread

so far this year ive read -

1 - Elisabeth Sladen: the Autobiography by Elisabeth Sladen
    2 - Now you see her by James Patterson
    3 - Private by James Patterson