Options

Coppers (Channel 4 09/01/12)

Comments

• Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arresting that drunk guy constituted a misuse of police resources. It fulfilled no useful purpose at all.

Christ, that family! :eek:
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think MP's all over the country should be reviewing this footage because although yes it does show some terrible parts of our society it also shows how unprofessional our police force really is.

This show actually films police officers assualting and harassing people, police officers should speak to people in a professional and dignified manner no matter what they have done. In the USA police officers call people Marm and Sir but in this country our police officers are as bad as the dregs of society and make bad situations worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earsnot wrote: »
    I can't believe the way that officer was pushing that man who was eating a cheese sandwich, pushing him harder and harder until he eventually fell over backwards

He'd been given plenty of chances to walk away, much like the woman who'd been told to wait by the lamp post... people like that will keep pushing their luck, if they push too far then they only have themselves to blame for getting nicked.
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I think MP's all over the country should be reviewing this footage because although yes it does show some terrible parts of our society it also shows how unprofessional our police force really is.

This show actually films police officers assualting and harassing people, police officers should speak to people in a professional and dignified manner no matter what they have done. In the USA police officers call people Marm and Sir but in this country our police officers are as bad as the dregs of society and make bad situations worse.

You're obviously watching a different programme to me! I saw police officers being remarkably restrained, when having to deal with the most sub-human elements of society.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

I suspect you've not been on the wrong side of the US police.
    Mam and Sir.
    I wonder about some of the people on this thread, ever been in the cells, nicked, pull up for a chat any of you lot?
    I have and with good reason too sometimes.
    I've never been sworn at, thrown about, been cuffed and put in the back of the car all complete non events.
    This was back in the day's when it quite 'normal' to get a slap down the station too, if you were a regular customer or gave it too much lip.
    I managed to get in and out of a fair few nicks without ever getting roughed up.

Oh just remembered, I did get told to F'off once, the alternative was to hang around and make things official and end up down the station.
    Guess what, I took my opportunity not to get nicked, turned on my heels and F'ed off, 5 minute walk home, not a hardship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd been given plenty of chances to walk away, much like the woman who'd been told to wait by the lamp post... people like that will keep pushing their luck, if they push too far then they only have themselves to blame for getting nicked.
    They were drunk and in an agitated state, unable to act rationally to the instructions given to them. Unless they're likely to cause disruption they should be advised and then ignored. Threatening and scolding them like naughty children just leads to pointless arrests and a waste of police time.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    tvd wrote: »
    You're obviously watching a different programme to me! I saw police officers being remarkably restrained, when having to deal with the most sub-human elements of society.

You must be kidding. This program only scrapes the surface of police attitude.
    They escalate problems a lot of the time and the lack of professionalism is common. A close friend left the Police because he couldn't stand it. Licenced thugs were his words. Power goes to there heads.

I used to respect the Police and in many situations still do however that changed. A friend was wrongly arrested and beaten in the cell. He wouldn't hurt a fly and was from a decent background. When they investigated he remembered the numbers of the offending officer. However this was rejected because they said he was under the influence of alcohol. There was a bookmark on his face that was also rejected.. thru boot of a officer who inflicted such a blow he ended up in hospital. The officers all said it was self inflicted. ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrio wrote: »
    They were drunk and in an agitated state, unable to act rationally to the instructions given to them. Unless they're likely to cause disruption they should be advised and then ignored. Threatening and scolding them like naughty children just leads to pointless arrests and a waste of police time.

But they were cause a disruption
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, drunk and agitated. Obstructing the police from doing their job, being abusive and causing a breach of the peace.

Decent people dont want to have to put up with this sort of thing, you know?

Thats why we have laws against them and people can be arrested.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah all those people at the 14 year old's party weren't causing a disturbance.
    The Old Bill should have ignored the round robin shouting and general creating.

I've managed to sit down quietly on the sidelines when instructed by the Old Bill when drunk, I got told to bugger off eventually.
    Sometimes it's 'better' to drag these people off to the cells to sober up rather than leave them drunk and unreasonable on the streets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, drunk and agitated. Obstructing the police from doing their job, being abusive and causing a breach of the peace.

Decent people dont want to have to put up with this sort of thing, you know?

Thats why we have laws against them and people can be arrested.

The drunk guy was walking away. He seemed to have noticeable mental health issues. They just provoked him into swearing at them and then arrested him. As the resolution showed, they then had to waste time in arresting him again when he didn't attend court.

The woman in the street conflict was eventually arrested for walking past a post. They were just playing with her and using it to justify getting aggressive.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Restrained???? They get paid to be professional to keep the peace, serve and protect not abuse their power. The British police are part of the cause of our youth today. The police are PAID to respect everyone, in this country you are innocent until proved guilty. There was no reason for the police officer to push that man over just because he was swearing at him if you did that for the same reason you'd be charged with assualt.

Channel 4 know exactly what they're doing and that is showing holes and flaws throughout the British Police force.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah all those people at the 14 year old's party weren't causing a disturbance.
    The Old Bill should have ignored the round robin shouting and general creating.

I've managed to sit down quietly on the sidelines when instructed by the Old Bill when drunk, I got told to bugger off eventually.
    Sometimes it's 'better' to drag these people off to the cells to sober up rather than leave them drunk and unreasonable on the streets.
    No problem with arresting all the family at the party, except they drew out and made a meal of arresting the mother.
  • Options
    BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    The people on tonight's programme really were the scum of society. I fully back the police in all their actions tonight having to deal with those gobby halfwit lowlifes which are dragging society down! - if they did what they were told then there would be no need for what some might think is exessive force.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem with arresting all the family at the party, except they drew out and made a meal of arresting the mother.

The mother was the one who was given several chances to go away, swore several times at the police, and finally they ran out of patience with her.

She should also be reported to social services for allowing her children to get drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Restrained???? They get paid to be professional to keep the peace, serve and protect not abuse their power. The British police are part of the cause of our youth today. The police are PAID to respect everyone, in this country you are innocent until proved guilty. There was no reason for the police officer to push that man over just because he was swearing at him if you did that for the same reason you'd be charged with assualt.

Channel 4 know exactly what they're doing and that is showing holes and flaws throughout the British Police force.

I'll have to agree with you up to a point, their attitude with some of the teenagers isn't helping.
    They go in under the assumption something is going on, guilty until proven innocent or guilty but they don't know what for this time.
    That attitude isn't helpful when you're dealing with teenagers just been a bit loud and annoying or simply in a group, rather than out and out criminal.
    They're not all seasoned criminals up to no good and shouldn't be approached as such.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was no reason for him swearing though. I think it's holes in society programmes like this demonstrate. To me some of the police may come across as a bit vain, as if they've been watching too many American cop shows, but there's no doubt they're better educated than they used to be and held to higher standards, whereas evidently some people in society don't think they need to have any standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The drunk guy was walking away. He seemed to have noticeable mental health issues. They just provoked him into swearing at them and then arrested him. As the resolution showed, they then had to waste time in arresting him again when he didn't attend court.

The woman in the street conflict was eventually arrested for walking past a post. They were just playing with her and using it to justify getting aggressive.

Less shoving but an earlier arrest. You pays your money and takes your choice, bit more force to end the offence occurring but end up with one in custody (and the potential extra use of force over that) versus more force but it often ending with the end of the offence and officers resuming patrol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The drunk guy was walking away.

He was facing the wrong way.
  • Options
    brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not and should not be expected to put up with any amount of abuse because they are police officers.

They have to put up with it now as the use of Section 5 Public Order is not to be used to protect Officers from offensive language - a Judge has said so therefore it is right.

Section 5 is (was) a useful catch all whereby someone who needs to be off the streets can be arrested when a specific offence has not been committed (apart from being an obnoxious git).

I venture to say that all the liberal types posting here that the Pigs are brutes might sing a different tune if that drunk family were carrying on outside their bedroom window.

It's not OK if it's not in my back yard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    earsnot wrote: »
    I can't believe the way that officer was pushing that man who was eating a cheese sandwich, pushing him harder and harder until he eventually fell over backwards

I actually found that quite disgusting. The guy was clearly not all there and they just kept pushing him and pushing him. Then when he asked for his coat back they kept pushing and pushing. That, to me, was an abuse of power. It was totally unnecessary and they provoked him until they had something to arrest him for.

I agree with you there. I found the people on the show to be scum and I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near them. But, I still don't agree with how the police handled a lot of the situations we saw. I absolutely hate it when they start giving people speeches on how to live their life. They have a holier than thou attitude when it comes to chavs and such. Sure, they are scum. But that doesn't mean you can just push them about because they aren't articulate enough to voice their dis-concern with your service as a police officer.

I agree with you about the guy. I also didn't like how the female blonde officer pushed the girl to the point where she fell face first to the ground. Then all the officers, like a flash, start getting physical with everyone. Of course that provoked everyone else who began to shout at the police and get hectic. So the police become more physical and start making arrests. That situation escalated because of that girl being pushed face first in to the road.

I'm glad the show is on air, I really do hope it gets some form of recognition. I've never respected the police, not when they think they are better than everyone and above the law. Also, you can tell which ones were bullied, the guy who was a ginger kid, the way he spoke just screamed it.
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You really think the US police force is a paragon of virtue do you?
  • Options
    windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I couldn't get over how the female police officer with short dark hair looked like Pierce Brosnan!
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have thought that the police would have learnt their lesson shoving, when they eventually push someone over here's no control to stop that person sustaining a fatal head injury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised and appalled at the abuse that the police are getting on this thread; they are doing their job- trying to protect the country under a lot of stress and with less people than before.

They are doing a grand job, and have to put up with a whole lot of danger, abuse and violence- no other job has to do this. When the riots kicked off would you have wanted to be a police officer?

They perhaps over reacted with that man with the cheese sandwich, I grant you, but we don't know the full story; how long had they been at the situation, was he a known problem person, was he abusive etc etc.

I am thoroughly enjoying this show, and think the police are doing the best they can.

Why are people so keen to defend the criminals?