Options

Movies you just can't seem to want to watch

rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In reference to a thread I started regarding Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind being a film I just can't seem to want to watch no matter what positive things people say.

I thought it would be interesting to hear what your similar films are.

Another two of mine would be Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells, and Snatch.
They just do not appeal to me at all.

Comments

• Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    War Horse.

Literally everyone I know seems to be giving it a glowing review. Yet I can't bring myself to watch it. The concept just doesn't interest me whatsoever.
  • Options
    capitalism101capitalism101 Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Any Guy Ritchie movie. I've seen snatch and hated it. I usually can't stand these british gangster movies.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually any film that gets OTT positive hype. It puts me right off. Slumdog Millionaire is a case in point for me. I got sick of seeing the adverts for it because they were on every 5 minutes, and all it got was gushing reviews saying how amazing it was. Now it could be a very good film, but because it was rammed down my throat so much I deliberately avoided it.
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Usually any film that gets OTT positive hype. It puts me right off. Slumdog Millionaire is a case in point for me. I got sick of seeing the adverts for it because they were on every 5 minutes, and all it got was gushing reviews saying how amazing it was. Now it could be a very good film, but because it was rammed down my throat so much I deliberately avoided it.

I wish I HADN'T watched Slumdog Millionaire. It wasn't a bad film, but I still can't see what all the hype was about and I feel resentment at feeling suckered in. The amount of pressure the media piled on society to embrace that film was crazy.

I also wish I hadn't watched Mamma Mia for the same reason, although that movie WAS bad.

At least I didn't have to pay full cost cinema prices for either experience.

Keeping on topic, a few hyped movies I have no interest in watching because I'll either find them too distressing or because they just aren't my thing:

War Horse
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Hangover
    Hugo

All probably good films, but the first two are ones I know I'd find too upsetting, and the second two just aren't my sort of film.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It tends to be the ones where everyone nearly cums themselves blind with hysteria about how amazing a film is. I get some kind of mental block that makes me not want to watch - Avatar, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption... I know it's stupid but hey ho.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    It tends to be the ones where everyone nearly cums themselves blind with hysteria about how amazing a film is. I get some kind of mental block that makes me not want to watch - Avatar, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption... I know it's stupid but hey ho.

My first thought exactly. I heard it's amazing and my family told me I've seen it before though I can't remember. So i seen it in HMV for like £5 and bought it. However, I can't motivate myself to watch it.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    In reference to a thread I started regarding Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind being a film I just can't seem to want to watch no matter what positive things people say.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an awesome movie. The narrative and dialogue are incredible and I urge you to watch it :)

I own V for Vendetta on DVD and am a huge fan of the original graphic novel by Alan Moore. I've tried to watch it on seven occasions and just can't make it past the fact that the premise is ruined from the very beginning :(:cry:

I'm forever in the pub waiting for the television to be switched off as the news starts :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    My first thought exactly. I heard it's amazing and my family told me I've seen it before though I can't remember. So i seen it in HMV for like £5 and bought it. However, I can't motivate myself to watch it.

I've seen Shawshank a few times because my brother rates it highly and watched it every time it was on tv, so I ended up seeing it by default. But I think it's alright. It wasn't an ordeal to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    I wish I HADN'T watched Slumdog Millionaire. It wasn't a bad film, but I still can't see what all the hype was about and I feel resentment at feeling suckered in. The amount of pressure the media piled on society to embrace that film was crazy.

Exactly! And your post had just summed up why I've avoided it since day one! :)
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an awesome movie. The narrative and dialogue are incredible and I urge you to watch it :)

I own V for Vendetta on DVD and am a huge fan of the original graphic novel by Alan Moore. I've tried to watch it on seven occasions and just can't make it past the fact that the premise is ruined from the very beginning :(:cry:

I'm forever in the pub waiting for the television to be switched off as the news starts :o

I quite like that. Probably because I thought it would be SO awful compared to the graphic novel, but I thought they didn't make too bad a stab at it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kings speech
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's weird isn't it?

The people who mentioned Shawshank - I feel like screaming at you..... Watch this film!!!!!! It's amazing!

But, I suppose there's people who want to do the same with me regarding Eternal Sunshine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    slumdog millionaire.......... cant watch it, never will.

I cant not see why any one would think... lets make a film about a Indian guy who wins a game show :confused:
    and the country goes nuts for it :confused::confused:
    wonder what would happen if you did a Chinese guy who lost a game show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    subtitled films, even though they are horror ones

Rec

blair witch project

shaky hand held films ( i have seen a few though)

3d films
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slumdog millionaire.......... cant watch it, never will.

I cant not see why any one would think... lets make a film about a Indian guy who wins a game show :confused:
    and the country goes nuts for it :confused::confused:
    wonder what would happen if you did a Chinese guy who lost a game show

It's more about the awful suffering he and his loved ones went through to get to the point where he was in a position to win at life for once. But! I get you.

The King's Speech for me. Also I put of watching Avatar for ages and ages because I was pretty much being ordered to watch it by every media outlet in the world. I was bored to tears when I finally gave in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    subtitled films, even though they are horror ones

Rec

blair witch project

shaky hand held films ( i have seen a few though)

3d films

I was so let down by that film :sleep:
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Withnail & I
    This is Spinal Tap
    Titanic
    That ABBA-singing one I can't remember the name of...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Withnail & I
    This is Spinal Tap
    Titanic
    That ABBA-singing one I can't remember the name of

Mama Mia ( here i go again ) :D i not seen it, and dont think i will either..i like Abba songs though in moderation lol
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't watch Mamma Mia it's terrible, trying to fit a plot around songs, doesn't work unless you change some lyrics, which they didn't do (much).

For me it's Lord of the Rings. Just can't bring myself to watch it. Can't see the whole fuss about it.

I said that with Harry Potter, but then my uni friends got me into it lol.

Also Tarrantino films, I've been thinking, I should watch them, but I'm never in the mood for one.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2001 made me feel as sleep
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    mine was slumdog millyonare but when i finally watchd it i surpized myself nd enjoyed the film a great deal
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    The Children
    Not only am I not really into horror, the concept of this one just sounds distressing :cry:
    I agree with The Kings Speech too, I kinda want to see it but think it would hit too close to home :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    all those Twilight films..not seen any or the new one red riding hood..not interested
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    :yawn: Twilight doesnt appeal to me either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    i watched 3 of da twilight films against my betta jugment lets just say ure betta off not watching them