Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone expected ITV1 to struggle in the summer, but we're nowhere near that and yet their new drama is flopping; their reality show is faltering; Saturday's night's are stalling after Take Me Out and they just can't be bothered with Tuesday's. What makes me laugh is ITV seem to think twists galore are the way to bring viewers back rather than simply adapting what is an absolutely dire schedule. Splitting Dancing On Ice would at least give the show a chance against a medicore Saturday line up on BBC One while they could move Wild at Heart out of the way of Call The Midwife.

Call The Midwife performed brilliantly and BBC One have a strangehold over the slot now; they still can't bring themselves to drop Antiques Roadshow or Countryfile...any chance of some originality there??? Birdsong performed decently in the 9pm but may falter from now on as it doesn't have the momentum of Call the Midwife to propel it.

127 Hours and Celebrity Big Brother performed well while the snooker picked up a decent figure. But really the story is about the painful winter ITV1 is suffering from in a year where they really cannot afford one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    I think tonight will be Coronation Street's best chance of getting its top rating of the year. I dunno what other storylines they have lined up for this year, but with the exit of a high profile character tonight, I can't see many other episodes for it in 2012 rating better. A 10.5m overnight rating might even be enough for it to secure top most watched soap episode of the year. I'm not sure it'll get that based on its current ratings form though, it would've definitely managed it this time last year, but 2012 hasn't been the best ratings-wise for it so far.

It'll do okay, but I won't go that far tbh. Possibly it might be the highest soap rating of the year - but tbh, they are all down except Emmerdale which continues to boast rather brilliant figures very quietly.

Other than EE's good start to the year, I think both soaps will be down a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think tonight will be Coronation Street's best chance of getting its top rating of the year. I dunno what other storylines they have lined up for this year, but with the exit of a high profile character tonight, I can't see many other episodes for it in 2012 rating better. A 10.5m overnight rating might even be enough for it to secure top most watched soap episode of the year. I'm not sure it'll get that based on its current ratings form though, it would've definitely managed it this time last year, but 2012 hasn't been the best ratings-wise for it so far.

Another issue for ITV1. I can't think of many bright spots for the channel...Emmerdale's consistency and Take Me Out holding it's own on a Saturday night are about it off the top of my head. Yes, L&O is beating Hustle head to head but it's not exactly recording fantastic ratings and I have the feeling Hustle's demos are stronger. Though I may be wrong about that. :o
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Another issue for ITV1. I can't think of many bright spots for the channel...Emmerdale's consistency and Take Me Out holding it's own on a Saturday night are about it off the top of my head.
    One slightly bright spot would be: In terms of the 9pm weeknight slot, ITV1 has improved so far in January compared to last year. So far this month they've averaged 4.3m (4.5m inc +1) at 9pm which is up from 4.1m (4.2m inc +1) last year. The gap between BBC1 and ITV1 at 9pm has been much closer this January (0.1m in it) than what it normally is the case in January (1.5m last year, 0.6m the year before, etc). So I think the weeknight 9pm slot has done respectably so far this month, but as you say, the weekend has been a major disappointment for them, as well as Corrie which doesn't seem to have hit its usual January numbers this year (nor have the other soaps though admittedly).
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, well, well. Just caught up on last night's ratings.

Great to see a brand new BBC ONE drama (CTMW) rate so well.

Especially, Sunday at 8pm - I don't think we've seen BBC ONE take such a huge audience in this slot for years if not a decade or two. Sure, post 9pm has done well, but 8pm is new ground for the Beeb. The gamble on a new drama paid off.

I wonder if Pip "golden boy" Schofield has been tweeting on a Monday about his amazing ratings (slump)? I guess not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One slightly bright spot would be: In terms of the 9pm weeknight slot, ITV1 has improved so far in January compared to last year. So far this month they've averaged 4.3m (4.5m inc +1) at 9pm which is up from 4.1m (4.2m inc +1) last year. The gap between BBC1 and ITV1 at 9pm has been much closer this January (0.1m in it) than what it normally is in January (1.5m last year, 0.6m the year before, etc). So I think the weeknight 9pm slot has done respectably so far this month, but as you say, the weekend has been a major disappointment for them, as well as Corrie which doesn't seem to have hit its usual January numbers this year (nor have the other soaps though admittedly).

One has to think what 'damage' TRB has done for Monday night's especially. With some heavy hitter I'm sure BBC ONE would have widened the gap. Shame the Beeb can't spread out their dramas more evenly on a Sunday and a Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One slightly bright spot would be: In terms of the 9pm weeknight slot, ITV1 has improved so far in January compared to last year. So far this month they've averaged 4.3m (4.5m inc +1) at 9pm which is up from 4.1m (4.2m inc +1) last year. The gap between BBC1 and ITV1 at 9pm has been much closer this January (0.1m in it) than what it normally is the case in January (1.5m last year, 0.6m the year before, etc). So I think the weeknight 9pm slot has done respectably so far this month, but as you say, the weekend has been a major disappointment for them, as well as Corrie which doesn't seem to have hit its usual January numbers this year (nor have the other soaps though admittedly).

I guess The Biggest Loser is holding up slightly better than whatever they aired this time last year on Tuesday; Law and Order is doing ok on a Friday and Above Suspicion is rating reaosnably on Monday's (though not brilliantly considering the dire opposition!) Speaking of dire opposition, I guess The Royal Bodyguard is really dragging down BBC One's 9pm figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, Wheres George(S) and Andy(23)? :cool:

And I don't mean the Wham duo...
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone expected ITV1 to struggle in the summer, but we're nowhere near that and yet their new drama is flopping; their reality show is faltering; Saturday's night's are stalling after Take Me Out and they just can't be bothered with Tuesday's. What makes me laugh is ITV seem to think twists galore are the way to bring viewers back rather than simply adapting what is an absolutely dire schedule. Splitting Dancing On Ice would at least give the show a chance against a medicore Saturday line up on BBC One while they could move Wild at Heart out of the way of Call The Midwife.

Call The Midwife performed brilliantly and BBC One have a strangehold over the slot now; they still can't bring themselves to drop Antiques Roadshow or Countryfile...any chance of some originality there??? Birdsong performed decently in the 9pm but may falter from now on as it doesn't have the momentum of Call the Midwife to propel it.

127 Hours and Celebrity Big Brother performed well while the snooker picked up a decent figure. But really the story is about the painful winter ITV1 is suffering from in a year where they really cannot afford one.

As has been pointed out, the nightmare for ITV1 is if their ageing reality shows falter in the second half of the year. Already Superstar looks like it could be this year's Born To Shine and the real nightmare is if either TXF or IAC start to slump, the latter being in its tenth year and running out of celebs to perform the same old tasks every night.
    However, no one seems to comment on the quiet success of ITV3, which seems to be outperforming ITV2 with its roster of top class drama repeats, sitcom classics and films. I would quite happily have this over ITV1 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    As has been pointed out, the nightmare for ITV1 is if their ageing reality shows falter in the second half of the year. Already Superstar looks like it could be this year's Born To Shine and the real nightmare is if either TXF or IAC start to slump, the latter being in its tenth year and running out of celebs to perform the same old tasks every night.
    However, no one seems to comment on the quiet success of ITV3, which seems to be outperforming ITV2 with its roster of top class drama repeats, sitcom classics and films. I would quite happily have this over ITV1 now.

The problem is ITV1 cannot afford to roll out new quality drama night in, night out. Hence their reliance on reality. Even BBC One cannot afford top quality drama every night and they're supported by a guaranteed income.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Sunday 22nd January 2012 - Quick Roundup
    BBC One
    Countryfile: 6.28m (24.4%)
    Call the Midwife: 8.64m (30.7%)
    Birdsong: 6.03m (23.6%)

BBC Two
    Masters Final: 1.86m (7.3%)

ITV1
    Dancing on Ice: 7.10m (27.7%)
    * +1: 220k (0.8%)
    Wild at Heart: 6.37m (23.0%)
    * +1: 286k (1.2%)
    Dancing on Ice: 5.90m (23.0%)
    That Sunday Night Show: 2.52m (10.8%)

Channel 4
    The Hotel: 1.18m (4.2%)
    * +1: 254k (1.0%)
    FILM: 127 Hours: 2.32m (9.4%)
    * +1: 288k (1.7%)
    Chris Moyles' Quiz Night: 525k (4.1%)

Channel 5
    Spiderman: 1.26m (4.7%)
    World's Greatest Heroes: 500k (1.9%)
    Celebrity Big Brother: 1.77m (8.5%)

Other names for Dancing on Ice from my "invisible hat":
    - Crisis on Ice
    - Flopping on Ice
    - Downturn on Ice

;)

Ouch. That results rating is not good...not good at all. Terrible for DOI. Not long ago, it was hitting 9m very easily. I think the 2008 series was its peak, when it got something like 12.1m.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    Well, well, well. Just caught up on last night's ratings.

Great to see a brand new BBC ONE drama (CTMW) rate so well.

Especially, Sunday at 8pm - I don't think we've seen BBC ONE take such a huge audience in this slot for years if not a decade or two. Sure, post 9pm has done well, but 8pm is new ground for the Beeb. The gamble on a new drama paid off.

I wonder if Pip "golden boy" Schofield has been tweeting on a Monday about his amazing ratings (slump)? I guess not.

We've seen Ballykissangel get 11m+ in the Sunday 8pm slot (1996-98) when it was away from Heartbeat. After Series 3, it moved against Heartbeat and it was destroyed (the departure of Stephen Tompkinson and Dervla Kirwan hardly helped).
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    I'm sure on This Morning it enjoyed its usual extensive treatment, making it look as though it was the only thing worth watching last night even though the numbers now seriously beg to differ. A good two parts of the programme no doubt taken up with DOI related chat and Schofe looking as pleased with himself as ever. Nauseating stuff. :o

But I've noticed ITV Daytime is increasingly just one massive advert (and perhaps not a good one) for ITV Primetime. I know this only from channel hopping so don't judge me but the other Tuesday for example the guests on Loose Women were Matt Allwright and Davina McCall. Common denominator? They both had shows starting on ITV1 that night. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    The problem is ITV1 cannot afford to roll out new quality drama night in, night out. Hence their reliance on reality. Even BBC One cannot afford top quality drama every night and they're supported by a guaranteed income.

Yes, but if for example, the Jesus Christ Superstar rumour is true, then clearly ITV are actively indulging in reality instead of using it as a necessary alternative, when it should be the other way round. And it is a big problem that has major consequences. Look at Channel 4, who now have the image of a cheap and nasty channel because of their over-indulgence in throwaway rubbish.
  • Options
    LRoseLRose Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Quoting Andy23

Apart from any days that ITV get big ratings and any days BBC get low ratings. There was plenty of discussion about TRB the last two Tuesdays but you still had your dig.

Im sure your pleased BBC1 had a great night anyway. :D
    Lol I was going to say something similar but decided to drop it when a new thread was opened.

People were still talking about the CTM ratings at about 3-4pm so the discussion had hardly 'moved on' it's been a big talking point on the thread all day.

I'm also not sure what is meant by 'I work for a living' - so do other contributors to this thread. I know not everyone can post from work but it is possible for some. It shouldn't be assumed that anyone posting during the day is drawing the dole! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Yes, but if for example, the Jesus Christ Superstar rumour is true, then clearly ITV are actively indulging in reality instead of using it as a necessary alternative, when it should be the other way round. And it is a big problem that has major consequences. Look at Channel 4, who now have the image of a cheap and nasty channel because of their over-indulgence in throwaway rubbish.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but all the terrestrial channels have a 'cheap and nasty' feel to at least some viewers; ITV1 with their over reliance on reality (which actually started in the mid 2000s and they've never really recovered); Channel 4 and the way viewers have to search for diamonds in the rough and Channel 5 and their Big Brother approach where they're airing a lot of programming based on former Housemates.

I'm not saying this outlook is fair, but I do think that terrestrial commercial channels especially have gone downhill in the last decade and their image has suffered in the process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've seen Ballykissangel get 11m+ in the Sunday 8pm slot (1996-98) when it was away from Heartbeat. After Series 3, it moved against Heartbeat and it was destroyed (the departure of Stephen Tompkinson and Dervla Kirwan hardly helped).

Yes, from memory, I think Hetty Wainthrop Investigates preceded Ballykissangel (1994 IIRC) and was another Sunday 8pm banker. But ignoring these two, I can't think of another (maybe Cranford and Lark Rise) which definitely did 8m+ on a regular basis.

Nice to know BBC ONE has evened the popular drama score on a Sunday with ITV1. Game on!
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear TRB tonight. I shall have to have a rummage in my cupboard for one of my old DVD box sets. Haven't had a look in there for 2 or 3 years. Its mainly full of murder mysteries. All the famous ones Morse, poirot,Lewis. And I've got some of my old favourites not on any more like The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. And of course the only legal drama I ever watched and ever will watch Judge John Deed. I loved that show. The BBC should bring it back.

I'll see if I can find my Judge John Deed box set. How sad :cry:
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if it's a conicnidence but all the terrestrial channels have a 'cheap and nasty' feel to at least some viewers; ITV1 with their over reliance on reality (which actually started in the mid 2000s and they've never really recovered); Channel 4 and the way viewers have to search for diamonds in the rough and Channel 5 and their Big Brother approach where they're airing a lot of programming based on former Housemates.

I'm not saying this outlook is fair, but I do think that terrestrial commercial channels especially have gone downhill in the last decade and their image has suffered in the process.

Yes, but I think Channel 4 suffers particularly badly from this. People of my generation who started watching television in the mid-to-late 90s have only ever known Channel 4 as a haven of shock-docs, reality, and miscellaneous rubbish, with only the occasional diamond in the rough, as you say. At least BBC and ITV remind us quite often that they can produce quality TV, but ITV are in danger of people forgetting that.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    LRose wrote: »
    I'm also not sure what is meant by 'I work for a living' - so do other contributors to this thread. I know not everyone can post from work but it is possible for some. It shouldn't be assumed that anyone posting during the day is drawing the dole! :)
    Completely agree there. I resent that thoughtless remark. In addition to the above some of us work shifts that chop and change so are fortunate enough to have time during the day to post. It's not for Andy or anyone else to pass judgement on our working status based merely on the times of day in which we frequent the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I'm sure on This Morning it enjoyed its usual extensive treatment, making it look as though it was the only thing worth watching last night even though the numbers now seriously beg to differ. A good two parts of the programme no doubt taken up with DOI related chat and Schofe looking as pleased with himself as ever. Nauseating stuff. :o

But I've noticed ITV Daytime is increasingly just one massive advert (and perhaps not a good one) for ITV Primetime. I know this only from channel hopping so don't judge me but the other Tuesday for example the guests on Loose Women were Matt Allwright and Davina McCall. Common denominator? They both had shows starting on ITV1 that night. :rolleyes:

Good grief. Don't ITV think that their viewers see through all this self-indulgent, self-promotion? Lowest common denominator (bar the "let's show a penis or some tits because there's some worthy health issue we need to remind you of").

Interestingly the Schofe has been remarkably quiet on twiitter regarding the overnights. I guess he's waiting for the consolidated ratings to take DOI results above 6m! :D

http://mobile.twitter.com/schofe
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is the whole problem. ITV1 now has to fight for revenue and no longer commands the huge audiences they enjoyed decades ago. However, reality is a poisoned chalice as its demos aren't as good as drama and there is no way it can be repeated on ITV3 like Lewis would. I somehow wish ITV had less competition so they could ditch some of their rubbish and go back to quality drama on weekeday nights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

Its also why I think Harry Hill stopped being a killer show, or of high quality - they didn't let them make fun of ITV shows! Even amongst the daybreak stories filling the newspapers!

ITV seem to think that they can somehow control information, when all it does is create a very niche audience. No point flogging a dead horse - and certainly not taking it to market to sell!

Harry Hill culminated this in bringing Christine Bleakly (she may be included in the metaphor above!) in...not for a joke...but to PLUG DAYBREAK :eek:

The joke is though that there probably is more space to create a more dominating morning/day-time TV schedule than it is for primetime. But ITV seem to use it as a very very very long lead in.

Jonathan Ross has fortunately been able to keep ITV out of his show mostly. Although that hasn't really helped :p
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    All channels have gone downmarket in the last decade, not just the commercial ones. The One Show, which is on BBC One at 7pm most nights, is truly an awful programme. BBC One's Wednesday night schedule at the moment mimics a lineup you'd normally see at daytime. These still rate well because there's a lot of ignorant snobbish people who don't watch any channel apart from BBC One or ITV1 and put on any old rubbish. If Channel 5 had shown The One Show, it would've been criticised so much in the press, unfairly so, and not even have got 1m viewers. BBC One and ITV1, the former in particular, can get away with a lot of crap while Channel 4 and Channel 5 have to work harder to survive.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just seen the ratings for last night. Great for Call the Midwife, and even though Wild at heart is down from last year its good to see 2 dramas at the same time get over 14m.

Dancing on Ice rating is poor and as Roscoe said ratings like those are unacceptable for it.
This discussion has been closed.