Options

Coronation Street - No Returns For Betty's Funeral!!!

KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
Forum Member
An article in the Daily Star has said that there are no plans to return any old characters for Betty's funeral! I know the Star is normally not a valid source of info but it would be shocking if they did not return any characters - especially when Julie Goodyear was practically beating down their door a couple of months ago!!:eek::eek::mad::mad:

Comments

• Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KingCorrie wrote: »
    An article in the Daily Star has said that there are no plans to return any old characters for Betty's funeral! I know the Star is normally not a valid source of info but it would be shocking if they did not return any characters - especially when Julie Goodyear was practically beating down their door a couple of months ago!!:eek::eek::mad::mad:

I know VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!!

Instead we are going to see current characters like Kylie, Stella, Karl, Owen, Izzy, Katy and Tommy Duckworth attending a funeral of someone they hardly knew.......Utterly Pathetic.

If this is true it is going to be a complete washout and a disgraceful exit for one of Corries longest serving characters.

If EE brought back at least one character for Pat's funeral with a cameo by a long since departed Simon Wicks there is no reason why Corrie cannot.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,279
    Forum Member
    I pretty sure it was The Star, like 2 months before it happened said that said in Hollyoaks Silas would accidentally kill his own daughter on Halloween and most people on the HO boards having a laugh at them, or straight up thinking it was bull.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they want to make it about Betty rather than Curly or Julie Goodyer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    As the OP said, the Star isnt a vaild source of information. So, there could be a possibility that there could be some returnees. It would be stupid not to bring back some old characters for Betty's funeral. I would like to see Bet, Alec, Shelley, Liz and her son Gorden Clegg return for her funeral.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the OP said, the Star isnt a vaild source of information. So, there could be a possibility that there could be some returnees. It would be stupid not to bring back some old characters for Betty's funeral. I would like to see Bet, Alec, Shelley, Liz and her son Gorden Clegg return for her funeral.

Maybe so but I still have a nasty feeling knowing Phil Collinson that this is likely to be true.

Phil Collinson would rather have us see a number of relatively new characters who knew Betty for five minutes or hardly at all on screen grieving on screen for her.

If he in his "infinate wisdom" or lack off doesn't bring anyone notable back for her funeral then he would have ruined what could of been a classic moment in Corrie history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Perhaps they want to make it about Betty rather than Curly or Julie Goodyer?

If they bring Bet Lynch (and others) back an episode or two before the funeral episode then the hype of any returning character back on screen would not impact upon the funeral episode.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think bringing back Julie Goodyear as Bet would overshadow Betty's Funeral and this is an episode in honour of Betty.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    If they bring Bet Lynch (and others) back an episode or two before the funeral episode then the hype of any returning character back on screen would not impact upon the funeral episode.

I disagree. All returns overshadow the event
  • Options
    DaZ_yUv_XDaZ_yUv_X Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the part of where it says 'no returns', it says 'the newspaper suggests', but mentions nothing of phil collinson actually dismissing the idea of bringing characters back.

i think that's odd considering he's been quoted on other things, but then not to quote him on that. makes me think it could just be the newspaper speculating that it won't happen, or trying to keep it surprise maybe.

it could still happen, i reckon.
    but they'd need to return before the actual funeral ep so that their returns won't overshadow betty's farewell.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't believe a thing that paper prints.
  • Options
    NELLIENASHNELLIENASH Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was real life the people I think would make the effort would be Bet Lynch, Mavis, Raquel and Hilda. Chief mourners from the street who know her long term should be Ken & Deidre, Emily, Rita, Audrey,Gail and Kevin and Sally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Cindy Beale will give Betty the send off she deserves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Well given her son Gordon only lives in Wimbledon it's only 2.5 hours on the train from London to Manchester.... surely Bet would come back, unless she's away and comes back in a couple of weeks to visit the grave etc.... Is Hilda still "alive" in the soap? I know Dr Lowther left her his house? It will look odd if they don't have at least Gordon there.....in my opinion (and given Dennis Tanner is reportedly coming back I don't see why Gordon Clegg shouldn't make an appearance.). Wonder what the "surprise" is? Could she have been an SOE operative do you think in WW2? :D
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what happened to Betty's sister Maggie. And Gordon should return.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its rather odd that they wouldn't bring anyone back. It doesnt need to detract from Betty's character , they could do it over two epsiodes have a lot of people sitting in the pub with the older ones and returnees reminiscing about Betty with some flashback clips from old episodes and the younger ones listening and then the next epsiode being the funeral so that no one takes centre stage .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    gillianp wrote: »
    It will look odd if they don't have at least Gordon there.....in my opinion (and given Dennis Tanner is reportedly coming back I don't see why Gordon Clegg shouldn't make an appearance.).
    :confused:
    You do know Dennis has been back almost a year :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this could be the right decision, actually. The names that were touted (Hilda, Bet, Raquel) all have one thing in common: they are hugely iconic characters. Their returns would take centre stage over Betty's exit, and that would be wrong. A letter from Hilda or phone call from Bet would be nice.

I do think that Gordon should come back though, and he's the type of character who could come back and do so without the huge media attention.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are unable to have a build up to Bettys death onscreen like they did with Jack and Vera or more recently like EE did with Pat, I think that they should pull out all of the stops for her funeral episode. Emmerdale managed to have excellent funeral episodes for both Seth Armstrong and Jack Sugden who both died offscreen. The episodes captured the spirit of the characters and mixed it in well with returning characters and mentions of past characters while sharing memories of the character. In regard to returns overshadowing the funeral, I don't see this happening with Bet. While her character is a Corrie icon, her last two returns were just her playing a caricature of herself (I've recently watched the episodes online and they were pretty painful but that may have had more to do with the writing at the time). I think the announcement of her return wouldn't garner the headlines like they did 10 years ago. Liz McDonald has yo-yoed in and out of the show for years so her return wouldn't be anything massive and Curly recently returned for that anniversary DVD spinoff thing so it wouldn't be any big news if he came back to the main show I think. I'm not even sure if he had any major connection to Betty anyway. The only character return that would probably be big news would be if Hilda Ogden came back to say goodbye to her friend. Jean Alexander has always said for years that she wouldn't come back but you never know. Plus she was quite close to Sally and Kevin so she could share a few scenes with them.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember Blanche's funeral? Tracy's return overshadowed it.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I think bringing back Julie Goodyear as Bet would overshadow Betty's Funeral and this is an episode in honour of Betty.

I disagree. I think Bet and Gordon returning would make the episode. I dont want to sit and watch the funeral of Betty attended by the likes of Tommy Duckworth, Tina, Kylie and Sean etc.
    By bringing back the people closest to Betty it would highlight what a loss she is and refresh our memories of the scenes she shared with the former characters. I'd like to see Bet and Gordon back at the very least, hopefully others like Maggie, Mavis, Shelley, Rachquel and Natalie.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. I think Bet and Gordon returning would make the episode. I dont want to sit and watch the funeral of Betty attended by the likes of Tommy Duckworth, Tina, Kylie and Sean etc.
    By bringing back the people closest to Betty it would highlight what a loss she is and refresh our memories of the scenes she shared with the former characters. I'd like to see Bet and Gordon back at the very least, hopefully others like Maggie, Mavis, Shelley, Rachquel and Natalie.

Agreed. We'll definitely see Gordon back at least. It wouldn't make sense for her son not to be at the funeral.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    I can't believe her funeral is not till April! Her last appearance was last May so this is 11 months later! Are they not going to explain where she's been for the past 11 months?!
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't believe a thing that paper prints.

Very True!
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    Agreed. We'll definitely see Gordon back at least. It wouldn't make sense for her son not to be at the funeral.

Course he's there, he's the one who comes to the pub to tell everyone that Betty has died :( Will it be Gordon #1 or #2 though?
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Course he's there, he's the one who comes to the pub to tell everyone that Betty has died :( Will it be Gordon #1 or #2 though?

It will be Bill Kenwright