Options

Worst depiction of Britain in a US series

Comments

• Options
    puffin1962puffin1962 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    There was a dodgy episode of McGyver set in the British museum

Not to mention that on JAG Brits were always the villains and there was that stereotype episode set in Northern Ireland
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    ER - Series 14, Ep 9 was on tonight...

British Ex-Pat Cheese Rollers. I'm lost for words. :D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lemmie0269 wrote: »
    ER - Series 14, Ep 9 was on tonight...

British Ex-Pat Cheese Rollers. I'm lost for words. :D

They cut the part where Morris gets their attention by shouting something rude about David Beckham.

You'll notice they don't let Parminder Nagra anywhere near them, either. Her authentic UK accent would have shown them up for what they were.
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Frasier has been mentioned but the worst one ever was with Daphne's old boyfriend from Manchester. It's the two Mrs Cranes episode. The fella has the worst English accent ever (worse than Dick Van Dyke) and was just cringeworthy. As for the rest they have Daphne saying things that she wouldn't like smacking someone's fanny when it means something way different here than in the US.

As for the posh accent thing I think it's because Americans can understand it better than a regional accent. They subtitle English people on US TV - my personal favourite being a bloke from Newcastle on BBC America.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half the UK audience could probably do with subtitles for some Geordie's mind you...:)
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mission Impossible 1980's revival on cbs action right now. Its showing northern ireland as muddy streets and animals everywhere.Drunks and bare knuckle boxing. Every stereotype is getting an airing. Amazing to think it was actually filmed in Australia.
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half the UK audience could probably do with subtitles for some Geordie's mind you...:)

It's funny you should say that. Both times I've been to North America the majority found me and my dad easy to understand but they really struggled with the cockney accent. They did however think we were Australian, Scottish and finally Scandinavian. They didn't believe that we were English.
  • Options
    madeleymademadeleymade Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Oh god I remember now! Was the mcgyver one with brian blessseeeedddd! Anyone remember captain planet that silly hanna barbera cartoon about eco-super heroes? Well there was this episode set in a burning green pub-filled belfast. Being a cartoon a bit of artistic licence was needed, but honestly it looked like stalingrad. Not even the dundalk road looked that bad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blessed was in another episode, i think a tv movie with McG in Atlantis.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    It's funny you should say that. Both times I've been to North America the majority found me and my dad easy to understand but they really struggled with the cockney accent. They did however think we were Australian, Scottish and finally Scandinavian. They didn't believe that we were English.

I have travelled America a lot and have a (mild) Lancashire accent. When I was travelling with an Aussie most people said we sounded alike.

I suppose it is similar to how Canadians and Americans are easily distinguished by one another but here can often be mistaken as much the same.

Another American asked me what part of Lancashire I was from and guessed from the accent it was Edinburgh....:)
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    It has to be the Ugly Betty episode, London Calling.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the episode. But it was just full to the brim with stereotypes. It wasn't even filmed in London!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k
    Ugly betty wasn't filmed anywhere you thought;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most us tv shows don't film abroad. Even most of the ones in the past used the old hollywood backlots like universal which heroes used. Only columbo did some very limited scenes with Peter Falk and some of the other actors and now a lot of shows film in new york
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most us tv shows don't film abroad.

Depends on if you count Vancouver as abroad. ;)

I like watching the show Psych which is supposedly set locally but is so blatantly not filmed here at all (except for some brief aerial shots of the scenery). Sometimes I wonder if the writers have even visited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most us tv shows don't film abroad. Even most of the ones in the past used the old hollywood backlots like universal which heroes used. Only columbo did some very limited scenes with Peter Falk and some of the other actors and now a lot of shows film in new york
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Australian and when meeting Americans overseas they can all understand every word I'm saying. Maybe I'm just fraytfully well spoken?

You sure they didn't think you were Scouse? A fair few Scousers accents are mistaken for Aussie in the States, :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry for posting twice, but I meant abroad I meant outside north america.

Can we now include films?

Inclusions
    Mrs miniver
    Random harvest
    Dial m for murder
    Star! (Actually this had a lot of londom filming and had brits like brucey forsyth and michael craig)
    Mary poppins
    The basil rathbone nigel bruce sherlock holmes films
    Midnight lace
    How green is my valley
    Lassie come home (yorkshire usa
    Adventures of robin hood
    Terror in the wax museum
    The elvis presley Double Trouble
    The invisible man
    Hangover square
    The lodger
    The undying monster
    Son of dr jekyll
    Daughter of dr jekyll
    The black sleep
    Dr jekyll and mr hyde 1931/1941
    The old dark house
    The 1960 time machine
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episodes of friends were rubbish because the episodes were rubbish but apart from cameos from English actors or celebrities there was nobody else in it and 80% took place on a set.

The worst depiction of an English accent is Annabelle in season 7 of Buffy. "Gawd it was frightful pip pip" such a shame as Spike and Wesley do it so well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry for posting twice, but I meant abroad I meant outside north america.

Can we now include films?

Inclusions
    Mrs miniver
    Random harvest
    Dial m for murder
    Star! (Actually this had a lot of londom filming and had brits like brucey forsyth and michael craig)
    Mary poppins
    The basil rathbone nigel bruce sherlock holmes films
    Midnight lace
    How green is my valley
    Lassie come home (yorkshire usa
    Adventures of robin hood
    Terror in the wax museum
    The elvis presley Double Trouble
    The invisible man
    Hangover square
    The lodger
    The undying monster
    Son of dr jekyll
    Daughter of dr jekyll
    The black sleep
    Dr jekyll and mr hyde 1931/1941
    The old dark house
    The 1960 time machine
  • Options
    mrs.deschanelmrs.deschanel Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst English accent in a movie ever was Ewen McGregor ruining the Star Wars prequels with his dreadful accent. It made me screw up my face and clench my buttocks. If someone can't do the accent then either have him as Scottish or hire someone else. Grrrr :mad:.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the way alot of American shows depict Britain. One I actually didn't mind was Buffy. Giles was British and thankfully they had a British actor rather than an American putting on a posh accent.

It's funny how America does seem to think most people here speak in a very posh way and drink tea all the time. Lol

Have just been watching One Born Every Minuite. We DO drink tea all the time!
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Spike was also British (from Ye Olde North London) and played by an American actor putting on a posh accent.

Spike spoke with a cockney accent (or tried to. It got worse I thought after Tony Head left the show.)
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I have travelled America a lot and have a (mild) Lancashire accent. When I was travelling with an Aussie most people said we sounded alike.

I suppose it is similar to how Canadians and Americans are easily distinguished by one another but here can often be mistaken as much the same.

It's not necessarily a similar comparison though. People from the western US and western Canada have essentially the same accent. The only differences are a handful of words which are down to national cultural norms and not regional accent. Not surprising since there was plenty of cross settlement up through mid 19th Century throughout western North America. The accent in Ontario and the maritime provinces have a few more noticeable differences to the American standard accent. But even in these cases the differences between an Australian accent and Lancashire accent are vast by comparison. The reason Americans confuse them is probably down to a lack of familiarity with one or both of the accents. A better US/Can correlation might be made comparing Australian and New Zealand accents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't always tell whether a person is Canadian or American, nor can I always tell the difference between British, Australian, and New Zealand accents.

I'm sure a lot of depictions of Britain in our media are unfair and stereotypical. I'm sure it goes the other way as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Frasier has been mentioned but the worst one ever was with Daphne's old boyfriend from Manchester. It's the two Mrs Cranes episode. The fella has the worst English accent ever (worse than Dick Van Dyke) and was just cringeworthy. As for the rest they have Daphne saying things that she wouldn't like smacking someone's fanny when it means something way different here than in the US.

As for the posh accent thing I think it's because Americans can understand it better than a regional accent. They subtitle English people on US TV - my personal favourite being a bloke from Newcastle on BBC America.

They subtitle Americans over here, too. Have you seen the show about the Louisiana alligator hunters? A lot of them have subtitles when they speak.

I can understand the speech of a lot of Brits whom I have heard, but there's some I can't make much sense of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Americans don't think you all talk that way -- it is just that your "upper class morons" are the only people among your lot whose accents are reliably intelligible to us (yes, Canadians too) on my side of the Atlantic. American TV producers make a calculated choice to go for intelligibility over accuracy, and that is the RIGHT choice, especially given that the programmes are made for Americans, not -- well -- you.:)

True.

Even Americans who are cast usually don't have very strong accents unless the role calls for it.