Options

Alright, I've heard enough, get BULLY Cotton off Corrie

PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,452
Forum Member
✭✭
A war of words has broken out on Twitter between three of Corrie’s top stars.

Antony Cotton blasted Ryan Thomas and Jack P Shepherd after they had a dig at him for constant name dropping.

Angry Antony, 36, who plays barman Sean Tully in the soap, called Jack – bad boy David Platt – a “little irritant” who “needs the money more than me”.

Jack, 24, tweeted: “That’s not banter, it’s an insult.”

Antony also said his I’m a Celebrity pal Mark Wright had “hoovered up” all of Ryan’s personal appearances.

A Corrie source said: “Some of the remarks looked nasty and it may have consequences at work. Antony is a tough old boot and he certainly looks as if he tried to put the young lads in their place.”

Jack and Ryan, 27 – builder Jason Grimshaw – had called Antony “a cringe” after name dropping stars such as Kylie Minogue and Emma Bunton.

The Mirror

I've heard enough to convince me that Cotton really is a vile piece of work, get rid now Corrie.

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 70,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a gay man myself I look at Anthony Cotton and think is this how I want gay characters portrayed on tv. Cotton is getting paid a three figure salary just playing himself...
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard so many rumours about what Cotton is behind the scenes, the fact John Thompson dislikes him says it all.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of Cotton but I think the Mirror have probably blown that out of proportion. Having seen the tweets in context I'd say it was a bit of banter, nothing more.
  • Options
    treacletarttreacletart Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    What a tw** he is!
    What's the betting Jack and Ryan get in more trouble. It certainly looks like the 'corrie source' is on Antonys' side.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    As a gay man myself I look at Anthony Cotton and think is this how I want gay characters portrayed on tv. Cotton is getting paid a three figure salary just playing himself...

And as a gay man myself I'd say there's a pretty broad representation of gay characters on TV, of which Cotton is only one. Him playing himself is a side issue really. Camp gay men do exist. If he was the only gay character on TV I'd perhaps take your point but he isn't.

I don't particularly love the character of Sean but for as long as he isn't at the centre of the show I'm not that fussed. And I quite like his relationship with Marcus.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked at the tweets I'd say it was just a bit of banter between friends. A lot of the soap boys are the same on Twitter, follow the Emmerdale cast and you'd see what I mean.
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I think it's just banter. But I can't stand Cotton, so any excuse to see him fired would make me happy. I find him - and his "character" - irritating.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As another gay man I have been thinking this since he arrived. He's a terrible example to other gay men. Imagine if you were thinkiing of coming out and saw him as the only other example.

I am glad Gay Times give him a kicking every couple of years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Cotton tweeted: "For those people gegging in - @JackPShepherd88 and @ryanjamesthomas are two of my favourite people in the whole world! x" whether he was being sarcastic or not I dont know (Sarcasm doesn't translate well onto text)
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,685
    Forum Member

Has he taken a massive pay cut, then?
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Has he taken a massive pay cut, then?

Yes don't you know he has had a pay cut to fund Brooke Vincent and Football Boobs Keegan's fake bake.
  • Options
    Hungry Hippo!Hungry Hippo! Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like banter to me. This is the problem with Twitter though and how people read into things the wrong way.

Having met Ryan Thomas I think he is too professional to get himself involved in a public spat on Twitter.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Get rid - I'm loving Marcus and Eileen living together and find their scenes far more believable and intimate. Unfortunately I think Dame Tully (I wrote that thinking it was his real name!!!!) has some dirt on Tony Warren or something and has something written into contract
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally believe this is just a bit of banter. Its hard to know how to interpret written words sometimes, as most of us have probably found out for ourselves on DS from time to time. However, I feel as representatives of Corrie, they should be aware of the power of Twitter and the fact that what they tweet will be reported upon and if they are going to partake in in-jokes amongst themselves on a public forum, to which strangers become privvy, they can't really get too annoyed when people start to draw their own conclusions to what they write.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AC thinks he's untouchable, due to his friendship with the boss.
  • Options
    racol5racol5 Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is want is commonly known as a snide.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    And as a gay man myself I'd say there's a pretty broad representation of gay characters on TV, of which Cotton is only one. Him playing himself is a side issue really. Camp gay men do exist. If he was the only gay character on TV I'd perhaps take your point but he isn't.

I don't particularly love the character of Sean but for as long as he isn't at the centre of the show I'm not that fussed. And I quite like his relationship with Marcus.

I agree with you. Sean's OK as a minor character, and his relationship with Marcus is one of the best things in Corrie.

Camp gay men *do* exist, though it is annoying to see gay men portrayed in an outmoded and stereotypical way on TV, but this is balanced by more down-to-earth gay characters like Marcus.

And camp doesn't always = gay (look at Norris...)

I've got no idea what Anthony Cotton is like behind the scenes - I once heard Barbara Knox was a hard-faced mare that would push you under a tram soon as look at you - then a friend of mine met her and she was lovely, so you can never go by rumour.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    It does seem like banter between friends, but Antony's tweets do seem to have a nasty underside to them (You can dish it out, but you can't take it, etc)
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    I agree with you. Sean's OK as a minor character, and his relationship with Marcus is one of the best things in Corrie.

Camp gay men *do* exist, though it is annoying to see gay men portrayed in an outmoded and stereotypical way on TV, but this is balanced by more down-to-earth gay characters like Marcus.

And camp doesn't always = gay (look at Norris...)

I've got no idea what Anthony Cotton is like behind the scenes - I once heard Barbara Knox was a hard-faced mare that would push you under a tram soon as look at you - then a friend of mine met her and she was lovely, so you can never go by rumour.

I get why people find Sean annoying because of his campness - not because of the campness per say but because of the image it gives out but as it has been said other gay character balance him out. Although he does represent some gay men he's not the best image out there, I think I would feel the same if the lesbians on the show were portrayed at some butch Bertha. (although given Sophie's attitude I think we will avoid that).
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

must admit when i watched him in the jungle i thought "Jees the guy isnt even acting in corrie, hes completely just been anthony cotton on screen. ......... AND GETTING PAID FOR IT :eek:
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 51,056
    Forum Member
    Didn't he have a rumble with the actress who played Janice a few weeks back too? I remember seeing a thread title about it. I never had an opinion on AC (but plenty on his character) either way up until his appearance on I'm a Celeb and saw what an odious weasel he was in real life. Whilst this particular instance may have just been banter I've a sneaking feeling that he is probably very difficult to work with. Personally I think he would be no loss to Corrie if he was axed.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard enough to convince me that Cotton really is a vile piece of work, get rid now Corrie.

Well didn't the younger ones start it?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as a gay man i feel ashamed every time i hear Anthony's "opinions" and when i see him "acting" as Sean, he makes us all look bad.
  • Options
    MissyAnnMissyAnn Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is John Thompson?
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissyAnn wrote: »
    Who is John Thompson?

He played Jesse the children's entertainer (General Custard)who got together with Eileen for bit.